What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If there were a "Fantasy Football Players Hall of Fame"....... (1 Viewer)

Rubi

Footballguy
....what 3 NFL players would be the first ones inducted. You can go back to the origins of the hobby right up to the present,but because numbers can be skewed to quarterbacks,you can name only 1 QB. Here's a start:

Peyton Manning

Marshall Faulk

Priest Holmes

Tomlinson is by far my best fantasy player of all time, had him his entire career until his last year in San Diego in which i moved him before it was too late. All things considered he has to be number one

Didn't a FBG's staff member do an article that touched on this? I don't mean a FF HOF but rather the top fantasy scorers of all time (I vaguely remember reading something somewhere in the last few years).

Barry isn't. Had him....no way. He was also brutal to watch with FF in mind as he got 10 carries for 20 yards and then broke one. As a fan, he versus Hardy Nickerson was phenomenal.

Warner should be on here-best late pick ever for a million FF people and then predictable career including struggles with Giants, then great pick again in AZ for a little bit.

Larry Johnson and Priest were phenomenal for short times in FF. In or not, there could be a barometer here.

Tony G and Gates are (IMO) way ahead of any TE.

I guess Vinatieri

ETA Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson. Shanny RB consumed FFers for at least a decade because of these two so there should be some note about them if there was a HOF. Awesome late picks. (They shouldn't be in, just a mention)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Rice is the best fantasy player since 1950: http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-fantasy-football-players-since-1950/

After that, probably go with Faulk and Tomlinson, although Manning is certainly catching up to those two.
Those would be my three.

Also, if we were going to build a wing for the best fantasy seasons of all time, give me O.J. Simpson 1975 and Wes Chandler 1982. I would really, really want to put Priest Holmes 2002 on the list, but he missed the fantasy superbowl, so the nod for the third spot kind of has to go to Tomlinson 2006.

Dan Marino was for me. My league had a bonus for 250 yards which would become 300 yards. He seemed automatic

Surprised only one person has mentioned Faulk up to this point. I don't know the exact numbers, but he's got to be up there with Rice, I would think.

I was wondering about Jim Brown, so I checked his best season - he would have been up there too with 1,500 yds rushing, 17TDs in only 14 games. That's over 110 yds per game, with 1.2 TDs a game tacked on. Add on another 24 yds a game receiving.

If you factor in how much better Brown was than the previous rushers, it would be even more mind boggling. The previous rushing record before Brown was just over 1,100 yds. Hell, one year Brown averaged over 130 yds a game. I think it was just under 135, if I remember correctly. If someone came in the game today, at any position, and bested the previous records like Brown did, it would be amazing.

*not counting the passing records being set today, since the floor has risen for most QBs in general.

I was wondering about Jim Brown, so I checked his best season - he would have been up there too with 1,500 yds rushing, 17TDs in only 14 games. That's over 110 yds per game, with 1.2 TDs a game tacked on. Add on another 24 yds a game receiving.

If you factor in how much better Brown was than the previous rushers, it would be even more mind boggling. The previous rushing record before Brown was just over 1,100 yds. Hell, one year Brown averaged over 130 yds a game. I think it was just under 135, if I remember correctly. If someone came in the game today, at any position, and bested the previous records like Brown did, it would be amazing.

*not counting the passing records being set today, since the floor has risen for most QBs in general.
Can't disagree on Brown's numbers,but to my knowledge there was no Fantasy Football Hobby at that time.

Jerry rice

Marshall Faulk

Terrell Davis

In the short time I have played, these are the three that I remember single handedly winning championships.

Another vote for Rice. I owned him that year he went off. Cake walked to the title.

Terrell Davis in his prime was a beast, even tho it was very short lived.

George Blanda. QB + PK = $
So if you started him as your kicker, would you also have gotten his QB yards/points?
How is this for a year: 3300 passing 36 TDs, 9 field goals and 39 extra points. Equates to a strong fantasy year. I noted two things looking at his stats. First, he threw A LOT of picks, 42 on 1964. Second, he wasn't a very good kicker. In 1963, he made 37% of his attempts.

My fantasy HOF starting team:

QB:

Peyton Manning

RB:

LT

M. Faulk

WR:

J. Rice

R. Moss

T.O.

TE:

Graham

PK:

Who cares

DEF:

Ravens

My fantasy HOF starting team:

QB:

Peyton Manning

RB:

LT

M. Faulk

WR:

J. Rice

R. Moss

T.O.

TE:

Graham

PK:

Who cares

DEF:

Ravens
I'd need criteria before I could name a team. Are we judging on their best single year? Prime? Total body of work? My answers could fluctuate quite a bit based on the timeframe

For me, Derrick Mason. Year after year, no love. Year after year I would draft him late. Year after year he played a quiet but significant role at the back end of my starting lineups.

A lot of players had good stretches for a couple of years but it is hard to beat Emmitt's first 10 years for production and consistency.

He had 1,100+ yards every season and apart from a 4 TD aberration in 1997 he hit double digit TDs every year. His average over that time frame was 1,669 yards and 14.7 TDs. That's nuts.

Jerry Rice's peak lasted about 11 seasons (year 2-12) and he averaged 1,459 yards and 14.5 TDs over that time frame. You can use Don Hutson as a comp but I doubt many people were playing fantasy football in 1935.

Manning is obviously the QB in this case with an average of 4,331 yards passing and 32.7 TDs per year FOR 15 YEARS (plus 46 yards rushing and 1.2 rush TDs per season, worth an additional 9 points in most fantasy leagues, as a little bonus).

Aside from the obvious ones who have been mentioned thus far, gotta give some love to Marvin Harrison. 8 straight seasons of at least 82 catches (with over 100 in four of them), 1,113 yards (over 1,300 in five of them), and 101 touchdowns in those eight seasons (double digits every time).

103-1,402-13 was his average season for 8 consecutive seasons. :moneybag:

Aside from the obvious ones who have been mentioned thus far, gotta give some love to Marvin Harrison. 8 straight seasons of at least 82 catches (with over 100 in four of them), 1,113 yards (over 1,300 in five of them), and 101 touchdowns in those eight seasons (double digits every time).

That's a great run and appropriate for this thread but I always discount Marvin because he had the benefit of playing with perhaps the greatest QB of all time. Doesn't mean much in fantasy, which is why it fits this thread, but IMO IRL I think there are a lot of WRs who would have done the same or better in Marvin's situation.

Chaka said:
Ghost Rider said:

That's a great run and appropriate for this thread but I always discount Marvin because he had the benefit of playing with perhaps the greatest QB of all time. Doesn't mean much in fantasy, which is why it fits this thread, but IMO IRL I think there are a lot of WRs who would have done the same or better in Marvin's situation.
That, and because he was clearly behind Terrell Owens and Randy Moss as a fantasy receiver. Owens in particular rarely gets his due, but with the benefit of hindsight he was the best of the famous "big three" receivers. Actually, I'd call TO the second best fantasy receiver of all time. The fact that Owens did it for so long (up to age 37) and for so many teams (five in total) just makes it that much more impressive. Terrell Owens is the only receiver in history not named Jerry Rice to top 150 fantasy points at age 36 or older, and in true Terrell Owens fashion, he did it despite missing two games.

Edgerrin James might have had some injuries slow him down, but his first 2 years were the best start to a fantasy career ever, right?

4,442 yards 125 receptions 35 TDs

Chaka said:
Ghost Rider said:

That, and because he was clearly behind Terrell Owens and Randy Moss as a fantasy receiver. Owens in particular rarely gets his due, but with the benefit of hindsight he was the best of the famous "big three" receivers. Actually, I'd call TO the second best fantasy receiver of all time. The fact that Owens did it for so long (up to age 37) and for so many teams (five in total) just makes it that much more impressive. Terrell Owens is the only receiver in history not named Jerry Rice to top 150 fantasy points at age 36 or older, and in true Terrell Owens fashion, he did it despite missing two games.
I can't imagine the pinball numbers that guys like Owens or Moss would have achieved with Peyton Manning as their QB.

Personally I always look at a guy like Tim Brown and wonder "What if?". He wasn't the physical freak that Moss and Owens were, much closer to Marvin in that regard, but when I look at what he did with the wet noodles who he had to catch balls from for so much of his career I can't help but think how much better he really was than his actual numbers show.

I mean when I see a guy like Andre Reed make the HoF I don't really have a problem with that but the guy had a HoF QB throwing to him for 11 seasons and Timmy keeps getting snubbed even when his career numbers are noticeably better than Reed's and for most of his career his QBs were worse than mediocre. How does that happen?

Sorry I am going off on a tangent here.

Chaka said:
Ghost Rider said:

I can't imagine the pinball numbers that guys like Owens or Moss would have achieved with Peyton Manning as their QB.

Personally I always look at a guy like Tim Brown and wonder "What if?". He wasn't the physical freak that Moss and Owens were, much closer to Marvin in that regard, but when I look at what he did with the wet noodles who he had to catch balls from for so much of his career I can't help but think how much better he really was than his actual numbers show.

I mean when I see a guy like Andre Reed make the HoF I don't really have a problem with that but the guy had a HoF QB throwing to him for 11 seasons and Timmy keeps getting snubbed even when his career numbers are noticeably better than Reed's and for most of his career his QBs were worse than mediocre. How does that happen?

I support the tangent, Tim Brown was one of my favorites as a kid. He was a very good return man as well.

Chaka said:
Ghost Rider said:

I support the tangent, Tim Brown was one of my favorites as a kid. He was a very good return man as well.
Agreed. He always seemed like a good dude too. The thought that Marvin will make it to the HoF before him bothers me. Lover Marvin but if Lynn Swann makes it to the HoF because he was part of four SB teams then the inverse should hold and Timmy should make it because he had terrible QBs, was on a terrible team and still produced at a ridiculous level.

Chaka said:
Ghost Rider said:

Agreed. He always seemed like a good dude too. The thought that Marvin will make it to the HoF before him bothers me. Lover Marvin but if Lynn Swann makes it to the HoF because he was part of four SB teams then the inverse should hold and Timmy should make it because he had terrible QBs, was on a terrible team and still produced at a ridiculous level.
It is payback for him winning the Heisman undeservedly just because he was at Notre Dame.

Edgerrin James might have had some injuries slow him down, but his first 2 years were the best start to a fantasy career ever, right?

4,442 yards 125 receptions 35 TDs
Dickerson pretty much matched him. 4456 yards and 34 TDs, including the single-season rushing yardage record. Earl Campbell wasn't quite as impressive from a fantasy standpoint, but he did win two MVP awards and two OPoY awards in his first two seasons. It's kind of hard to do much better than that. He also kicked in a third OPoY award in his third season, because why not? Earl Campbell was so good that the PFHoF named him to the 2nd team All-Decade team of the '70s... despite the fact that he only played two years in the 1970s.

At wide receiver, everyone knows about Randy Moss, but how about Bill Groman? He averaged 1350/15 receiving in each of his first two seasons... despite playing in the era of 14-game seasons! That would work out to an average of 1514/17 receiving in each of his first two seasons over a 16-game schedule. Of course, that was for the early years of the AFL when there were serious quality of competition concerns, but from a strict fantasy-output standpoint... wow. Perhaps the craziest part of Groman's career... after his first two seasons, he only had 833 yards and 7 TDs for the entire rest of his career. And he wasn't done in by injuries, either. Which really just speaks to the quality of competition concerns surrounding the early AFL. But seriously, though... wow.

Users who are viewing this thread