Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Otis

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old

Amazing how you can tell the race of a criminal by hearing what the crime was. At least 90%% of the time.

Also amazing how from the comments you can tell the bigots and racists here at least 90% of the time.

Amazing how you can tell the race of a criminal by hearing what the crime was. At least 90%% of the time.

Also amazing how from the comments you can tell the bigots and racists here at least 90% of the time.

Bit defensive aren't ya? :)

FYI, Ferguson, where this happened, is one of the worst areas of the St. Louis metropolitan area. I had a bunch of relatives who grew up there decades ago, and it was a good area then, but it has gone way downhill in the last 20 years, and last night was a prime example of this. Sad. Very sad.

No it isn't. There has been a lot of money invested and redevelopment the last 15 years or so. It's terrible this kid lost his life and it's terrible for a city that has been making a big come back.

I don't want to quibble over what is and what isn't the worst area in the area, but while Ferguson has dressed it up a bit over the years (the big shopping center at W. Florissant and Lucas and Hunt, although that might be Jennings...cannot remember), crime is still not good there from what I have know, and their schooling system is off the charts bad. A co-worker with two young children actually moved out of that area last year (she lived just off Chambers, where a lot of that stuff last night happened) because, in her words, "she couldn't raise her kids any longer in an area where they heard gunfire every night." Sure, North City, other parts of North County and parts of South City are probably worse, but Ferguson is still not a place, prior to this weekend, I'd feel safe walking up and down the street. :shrug:

Sheesh

Just making an observation like Gramps.

Your statement was "knee jerk", good try tho...

Tell me all about it, Peens.

I don't need to tell you, you already know I'm right....

I don't need to tell you, you already know I'm right....

:lol:

FYI, Ferguson, where this happened, is one of the worst areas of the St. Louis metropolitan area. I had a bunch of relatives who grew up there decades ago, and it was a good area then, but it has gone way downhill in the last 20 years, and last night was a prime example of this. Sad. Very sad.

No it isn't. There has been a lot of money invested and redevelopment the last 15 years or so. It's terrible this kid lost his life and it's terrible for a city that has been making a big come back.

I don't want to quibble over what is and what isn't the worst area in the area, but while Ferguson has dressed it up a bit over the years (the big shopping center at W. Florissant and Lucas and Hunt, although that might be Jennings...cannot remember), crime is still not good there from what I have know, and their schooling system is off the charts bad. A co-worker with two young children actually moved out of that area last year (she lived just off Chambers, where a lot of that stuff last night happened) because, in her words, "she couldn't raise her kids any longer in an area where they heard gunfire every night." Sure, North City, other parts of North County and parts of South City are probably worse, but Ferguson is still not a place, prior to this weekend, I'd feel safe walking up and down the street. :shrug:

Sheesh

Should I happily skip down the street in neighborhoods that report high crime and where hearing gunfire is commonplace?

Sheesh

Should I happily skip down the street in neighborhoods that report high crime and where hearing gunfire is commonplace?

Make sure you download the sketchfactor app first.

Sheesh

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dc-news-crew-robbed-while-reporting-on-sketchy-neighborhoods/

I just don't believe in today's world of hyper-sensitivity towards racism that institutionalized racism exists anywhere except very small pockets. Any policy which even hints of racism is weeded out.

OK. :lmao:

show me the policies.

NYC stop and frisk comes to mind

That was fairly recent wasn't it?

im waiting for some cell phone video to emerge with the shooting on it...broad daylight in the middle of the street and nobody video taped it ??? C`MON MAN

im waiting for some cell phone video to emerge with the shooting on it...broad daylight in the middle of the street and nobody video taped it ??? C`MON MAN

Don't the cops have dashboard cams?

Don't the cops have dashboard cams?

unless this happened behind the cruiser it should be on tape

Weird that the police haven't interviewed Brown's friend that he was walking with and who observed the whole situation, no?

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

Why would they need his end of the story? It doesn't fit what is going in the police report especially the part where a bullet ricocheted and hit Brown in the back.

Sheesh

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dc-news-crew-robbed-while-reporting-on-sketchy-neighborhoods/

I live in Petworth, the "sketchy" neighborhood where this happened. Been there over a year with a wife and two small children. Never been the victim of a crime. Never seen a "real" crime (i.e. more than smoking weed) taking place.

The comments below that article are hilarious. Just goes to show- you suburban doofuses have seen too many movies and TV shows. "Sketchy" neighborhoods aren't remotely dangerous unless you're a complete idiot or you're trying to buy/sell drugs. Otherwise you're probably safer walking the streets or those neighborhoods than you are on the streets near the bars and clubs on a weekend night.

I just don't believe in today's world of hyper-sensitivity towards racism that institutionalized racism exists anywhere except very small pockets. Any policy which even hints of racism is weeded out.

show me the policies.

It is a policy which effectively has reduced crime in high crime areas. There is no racism behind the policies. So far the voters of New York (mostly black voters) have voted for people in favor of these policies and the polices have survived legal challenges to date. It is an area of debate whether the loss of freedom is worth the results, but I don't see it as proof of institutionalized racism. The policy is well known and is supported by many minorities.

show me the policies.

Remember when Willy Wonka put those golden tickets in those candy bars? Supposedly they were distributed all around the world ... and it just so happened that every single one of them was found by English-speaking white people? That's some kinda coincidence, don't you think?

Would you be so offended if he'd placed that exact quote in the Tony Stewart thread? Because that's the thread I thought I was in when I read that at the top (honest, I left and came back and thought I was still reading the Tony thread). The dichotomy of that first statement changes so much within the context of the two different threads.

show me the policies.

Remember when Willy Wonka put those golden tickets in those candy bars? Supposedly they were distributed all around the world ... and it just so happened that every single one of them was found by English-speaking white people? That's some kinda coincidence, don't you think?

Remember when the cow jumped over the moon....

show me the policies.

Augustus was German, though.

show me the policies.

Augustus was German, though.

Just more evidence of institutionalized racism. Clearly the candy was being distributed internationally, and yet not one non-white in the bunch (until Violet got to the blueberry pie gum of course).

apparently the looters are coming in from other states to cash in on the free teevees

The idiocy continues:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/shoe-store-looted-in-south-st-louis/article_91c22bfc-7230-5814-8478-50bff76d86ea.html

Supposedly, there are morons on social media who are encouraging the looters from the other night to do the same thing in other parts of the city.

This?

Weird that the police haven't interviewed Brown's friend that he was walking with and who observed the whole situation, no?

There are two crowds. An older crowd that wants justice but there’s anger. Then it’s the younger crowd that wants revenge but there’s anger there, too,”

There are two crowds. An older crowd that wants justice but there’s anger. Then it’s the younger crowd that wants revenge but there’s anger there, too,”

Three crowds. There is another crowd that just wants some free stuff.

Good grief. If that account is accurate, those cops should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

:goodposting:

With how descriptive that narrative is, hard to believe he isn't telling the truth.

The idiocy continues:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/shoe-store-looted-in-south-st-louis/article_91c22bfc-7230-5814-8478-50bff76d86ea.html

Supposedly, there are morons on social media who are encouraging the looters from the other night to do the same thing in other parts of the city.

This?

I hadn't seen them all summed up in one link like that, but yeah. Nothing like responding to racism by throwing out some racism of your own. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Good grief. If that account is accurate, those cops should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

With how descriptive that narrative is, hard to believe he isn't telling the truth.

Agreed. I think you'll have some who will take the "He's just saying that cause he was friends with the victim" stance, but like you said, given how descriptive he was, so long as his story remains consistent, it should be taken seriously and not dismissed.

Forensics should be able to validate his story at least to some degree.

show me the policies.

It is a policy which effectively has reduced crime in high crime areas. There is no racism behind the policies. So far the voters of New York (mostly black voters) have voted for people in favor of these policies and the polices have survived legal challenges to date. It is an area of debate whether the loss of freedom is worth the results, but I don't see it as proof of institutionalized racism. The policy is well known and is supported by many minorities.

A quick google search produced this

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/nyregion/de-blasio-stop-and-frisk.html

“We’re here today to turn the page on one of the most divisive problems in our city”. Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference. “We believe in ending the overuse of stop-and-frisk that has unfairly targeted young African-American and Latino men.”

The judge, Shira A. Scheindlin of Federal Distrct Court in Manhattan, found that the department’s stop and frisk tatics were unconstitutional, and that it had resorted to “a policy of indirect racial profiling.” At the height of the program, in the first quarter of 2012, the police stopped people – mostly black and Latino men – on more than 200,000 occasions. A vast majority were found to have done nothing wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/us/new-york-drops-stop-frisk-appeal/

(CNN) -- New York Mayor Bill de Blasio Thursday announced a settlement in the long legal battle over the police department's controversial stop-and-frisk policies, which a federal judge ruled violated the rights of minority residents.

In addition to dropping its appeal of the ruling, the city will implement reforms aimed at improving strained relations between police and the community.

De Blasio, who targeted the policing practice during his mayoral campaign to succeed Michael Bloomberg, called the settlement ending the Floyd vs. City of New York case "historic" and said it closes the years-long legal fight that found the overuse of stop-and-frisk unconstitutional.

De Blasio said 90% of the people who were stopped and frisked were innocent of any crimes.

show me the policies.

I could shoot speeders in the head when I pull them over and it would effectively reduce speeding. Doesn't make it right. How in the world can you say there is no racism behind policies when they pick particular races to profile. That statement is absurd. Plus reductions in crime in NYC mirror other areas where crime has dropped without stop and frisk.

It's amazing how people can be so obtusely blind to the black experience. I'm not excusing looting or any other crime for that matter. But if you think the deck isn't stacked against black people with the amount of evidence in the justice system; with the policies banks and other financial institutions have in minority neighborhoods; with the education system etc etc there's nothing at this point that can possibly change your mind. It's so evident to me it doesn't even merit debate. But here we are.

Think to yourself why there are even black neighborhoods in the first place. You think a lot of those people wouldn't move to better neighborhoods if they could? You think there's no housing discrimination? If you can't see that stuff that's plain as day your just a putz who has no idea what he's talking about.

My background is such that I've lived with minorities of all stripes. I've heard there stories. I've been out with them and experienced it first hand. I was ten times the thug that someof my black friends ever thought about being and somehow the trouble would find them. Like some kind of magic. I keep thinking for why that is and I just can't understand it. People like Jon "whitesplain" to me that racism doesn't exist so it can't be that.

show me the policies.

I could shoot speeders in the head when I pull them over and it would effectively reduce speeding. Doesn't make it right. How in the world can you say there is no racism behind policies when they pick particular races to profile. That statement is absurd. Plus reductions in crime in NYC mirror other areas where crime has dropped without stop and frisk.

It's amazing how people can be so obtusely blind to the black experience. I'm not excusing looting or any other crime for that matter. But if you think the deck isn't stacked against black people with the amount of evidence in the justice system; with the policies banks and other financial institutions have in minority neighborhoods; with the education system etc etc there's nothing at this point that can possibly change your mind. It's so evident to me it doesn't even merit debate. But here we are.

Think to yourself why there are even black neighborhoods in the first place. You think a lot of those people wouldn't move to better neighborhoods if they could? You think there's no housing discrimination? If you can't see that stuff that's plain as day your just a putz who has no idea what he's talking about.

My background is such that I've lived with minorities of all stripes. I've heard there stories. I've been out with them and experienced it first hand. I was ten times the thug that someof my black friends ever thought about being and somehow the trouble would find them. Like some kind of magic. I keep thinking for why that is and I just can't understand it. People like Jon "whitesplain" to me that racism doesn't exist so it can't be that.

You have some awesome guilt going on, congrats....

Needless (allegedly) tragedy combined with senseless crime (very definitely) makes for an interesting discussion here in the FFA. I don't think anyone seriously commenting in this thread is happy a young man died, but I don't think anyone in here was at the scene either. Unfortunately we won't know what really happened for a while, assuming the courts and investigators do their job. The one thing we do know for sure is the looting is ridiculous. I don't care who was killed or why. It's a shame these people have so little respect for their community they would participate in such madness. My feeling is that lack of respect is part of the problem in the first place.

Needless (allegedly) tragedy combined with senseless crime (very definitely) makes for an interesting discussion here in the FFA. I don't think anyone seriously commenting in this thread is happy a young man died, but I don't think anyone in here was at the scene either. Unfortunately we won't know what really happened for a while, assuming the courts and investigators do their job. The one thing we do know for sure is the looting is ridiculous. I don't care who was killed or why. It's a shame these people have so little respect for their community they would participate in such madness. My feeling is that lack of respect is part of the problem in the first place.

I feel the same way about Bank of America.

I feel the same way about right wingers.

Just not about the looters. That makes sense coming from a pagan communist such as yourself.

Just not about the looters. That makes sense coming from a pagan communist such as yourself.

That would be quite a trick

But would it be the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled?

He used to call me a "fake Jew" and call me gay/a woman. At least he now realizes that I don't consider those things insults.