What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone Know How To Buy Water Rights? (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
When I was hired at Goldman Sachs ~20 years ago, my "rabbai" told me that wars would be fought over fresh water in the future and that at some point, water investing was going to be a theme.

Anyone ever buy fresh water rights? I've heard of fortunes being made from this type of investment but I don't know how to proceed. Any other suggestions?

Out west Wars have already been fought - and we have some big ones coming up.

It's gigantic business out here now in Colorado - especially with the fracking industry really taking off. You'd be playing against the big boys here - big Ag and big Oil and big Cities

I have a good friend who is a water lawyer here in Denver I can ask him if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sure lot's of folks here will be able to help you out.

It's gigantic business out here now in Colorado - especially with the fracking industry really taking off. You'd be playing against the big boys here - big Ag and big Oil and big Cities

I have a good friend who is a water lawyer here in Denver I can ask him if you like.
:lol:

Never underestimate the power and reach of the FFA. :thumbup:

If he has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

As siffion mentioned a few weeks back, you can buy a few different etfs that include various water related companies who would most likely profit with a water shortage.

Is it Bob H. by any chance?

How much you want?

I will start filling buckets for you and will sell you the rights to those.

Buckets thrown in for free if you accept in the next 15 minutes.

Is it Bob H. by any chance?
No Drifter - it isn't - By the way - how is a Bronco fan faring in Seattle these days?

In all seriousness, I have a deed for a major water source I can hook you up with. I can let you have it for only $1.2 M. Let me know.

Give money, get rights. It's really that simple. Assuming you don't want to buy the land, you can have an attorney draw you up documents the land owner would sign which gives you access to drill, relieves owner's liability, etc... Usually, you would first draw up an agreement where the owner would let you 'test' for water for a certain amount of time after which you would restore the land to its previous state. After that, you could lease that portion of land, buy it outright, or whatever.

The place to make money on this is outside small to medium size towns, in my opinion. Prior to the crash, there are many areas retail thought they were going but never did, so now you have vacant land sitting there doing nothing, for sale on the cheap either by makeshift LLCs or banks after foreclosure. Now, you get a deal in place to test for water and if it comes back good news, you buy the land cheap and resale to the nearby city(ies). Some cities are already doing this to skip the middle-man but most simply don't make it a priority. Not really sure if this is the answer you were looking for.

When I was hired at Goldman Sachs ~20 years ago, my "rabbai" told me that wars would be fought over fresh water in the future and that at some point, water investing was going to be a theme.

Anyone ever buy fresh water rights? I've heard of fortunes being made from this type of investment but I don't know how to proceed. Any other suggestions?
you could apply to the carlyle group.

In 2011, the Carlyle Group purchased Mountain Water and its parent company in California for $102 million. In his correspondence, Dove maintained Carlyle’s track record in Missoula since then has been exemplary, and he noted it has increased donations to community agencies and makes hefty payments to government coffers.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/carlyle-rejects-missoula-s-m-offer-for-mountain-water/article_bdad44d0-8ab0-11e3-9aac-001a4bcf887a.html

Users who are viewing this thread