What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Janis (1 Viewer)

Brewtown

Footballguy
Jeff Janis back on the field, showing his potential

Green Bay The contested catch is foreign to Jeff Janis. He's not used to feeling another player at his hip when the ball arrives, not after torching NCAA Division II cornerbacks.

"I mean, the competition level wasn't there as often," Janis said. "I was faster than pretty much everybody."

At Saginaw Valley State, Janis added, there was typically five yards between him and the next player.

In his final two seasons at the Michigan school, the 6-foot-3, 219-pound seventh-round pick smoked defenses for 3,207 yards on 189 receptions (17.0 avg.) with 31 touchdowns. He took the underdog route here.

But he's the also the first to admit he has a very long way to go. Finally healthy from a scary shingles virus that ruined his first two weeks of camp, Janis enters the fray at wide receiver, a group Mike McCarthy said Monday is the deepest he's ever had in training camp.

Since his first padded practice Aug. 6, Janis has shown a flair for acrobatics.

This project just may take time.

"I'm still a rookie coming from D-II," Janis said, "so I still have a lot to learn. I'll probably still consider myself raw for my first couple years because I still have a lot to learn."

Which is why Janis doesn't know what all the fuss was about last week. Working on the scout team Sam Shields breathing down his neck Janis had possibly the best catch of camp. In the corner of the end zone, he made a one-handed catch from Scott Tolzien.

Hearing the reports from afar, friends and family hit up the Tawas, Mich., native's cellphone with text messages.

"Honestly, I really didn't think it was that big of a deal," Janis said.

On Monday, working against Casey Hayward, Janis hauled in a twisting sideline catch for 30-40 yards.

He can get vertical. Janis says one of his best attributes is that straight-line ability "to stretch the field."

If Janis keeps it up, the Packers may need to think about a roster spot, rather than a redshirt year on the practice squad for Janis. After sitting out the preseason opener taking notes covered by a plastic bag in the rain Janis hopes to be a full go Saturday in St. Louis.

After literally running away from the competition in college, Janis realizes where he must improve: beating press coverage.

"We work on a lot of stuff with our hands, on trying to get the DB's hands off us before they touch us," Janis said. "So that's one thing we have to work on. And just work on your moves at the line. You have to get that DB moving backward."

Added McCarthy, "He's raw, he needs the work, but he's a big athletic receiver that has excellent body control."

In college, this all came much, much easier to Janis.

Saginaw Valley State wide receivers coach Dan Fodrocy admitted Janis would need to "work on his competitiveness," that the receiver would need to understand "every single day, every single minute you will have to compete."

This wasn't necessarily a blatant knock, just a blatant reality.

"I don't know if it was a tendency to go through the motions," Fodrocy said after the draft. "But a lot of games, that's all he needed to do. He was so much faster than people. He was so much bigger than people. We could just call a post or vertical route and it was going to be a touchdown because he was so much better than those guys."

It's on McCarthy, Edgar Bennett and the Packers to mold a raw, potentially special talent.

Neither of Janis' parents were athletes. He's not sure where the speed, the body control came from. He says this ability 4.42 in the 40, 20 reps on the bench, 37½-inch vertical is "God-given."

And, really, it's a relief to be practicing at all right now.

The day before training camp began, Janis ate dinner and was going to lie down at his dorm room at St. Norbert College when, suddenly, he had trouble breathing. He felt a "stabbing" pain. Janis went to the hospital in Green Bay and found out he had shingles a couple days later.

A viral infection that leaves a painful rash, shingles had Janis hurting at the worst possible time: The fight for a job.

"It was to a point where I couldn't even take a half a breath," Janis said. "It was just stinging pain. It was no fun."

Janis, 23, read somewhere online that 50% of those who get shingles are 60 years or older. He took medication, rested and is finally good to go.

Pads on, with a chance to go deep against NFL competition, Janis believes there's still enough camp left to develop and help the Packers in 2014.

"I think there's still a lot of time left," Janis said. "Hopefully in this game coming up, I'll be able to make an impact in that. Hopefully, in the next two after that, too. If I get those chances, coaches will feel comfortable with me."

Jeff Janis: Packers writer: Janis 'going to be a player'

Jeff Janis - WR - GB - Aug. 13 - 1:42 pm et

ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde predicts Packers seventh-round WR Jeff Janis "is going to be a player when he finds consistency."

Janis has come on strong since returning to practice after a bout with Shingles. He's a 6-foot-3, 219-pound athletic freak with 4.42 wheels to go along with a 37 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. He got some run with the Packers' first-team offense earlier this week, and has made highlight catches every day. According to beat reporters, Janis hadn't had a dropped pass in team drills before Monday's practice. There'll likely have to be injuries for Janis to make a year-one impact, but he's a player to target in Dynasty. Aug. 13 - 1:42 pm et

Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

Thumbs up: Every day, Jeff Janis makes one breathtaking catch. While wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett wants to see more consistency from him, it’s undeniable that the rookie seventh-round pick from Division II Saginaw Valley State is making an impression. Although he hasn’t done enough to lock up a roster spot – because of a bout with shingles at the start of camp, Saturday’s game at St. Louis is expected to be his preseason debut – Janis is doing something the other young wide receivers aren’t doing: Making big plays.

Only Janis shines among young receivers

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Mike McCarthy thinks the Green Bay Packers have the deepest group of receivers he's seen in his nine years as head coach.

Some of them need to start catching the ball.

With Jordy Nelson (hamstring) and Davante Adams (wrist) sidelined for Monday's practice, there were opportunities galore for the receivers fighting for perhaps the last roster spot or two. How often does Myles White get the chance to run in the two-minute drill with Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the No. 1 offense? Or Kevin Dorsey get an entire series with the No. 2 offense in the same drill?

That was the case on Monday, and neither second-year pro seized his chance.

Dorsey dropped a pair of passes in the one-hour and 55-minute practice, including one in the two-minute period. White, who also got the chance to line up with the No. 2 unit in the two-minute period, dropped what would have been a drill-ending, 20-yard touchdown pass from Matt Flynn.

Earlier in practice, Gerrard Sheppard, a first-year receiver who shown some flashes, also dropped a pass.

If the torrential rains that impacted Saturday's preseason game at Tennessee was an excuse, there was not one on Monday.

"It's why you have the preseason games and really coming out of last week, they'll be champing at the bit to have a productive passing game," McCarthy said of the young receivers. "Yeah, I definitely would like to see those guys jump out. It's going to be competitive, and I think clearly it will come down to the end. It's like we said before camp even started, that group has the most depth that we've ever had in a training camp."

About the only one who took advantage of Monday's circumstances was rookie Jeff Janis, who made his second spectacular catch since he returned last week after missing the first seven practices of camp because of shingles. During a team period, he made a twisting grab on a deep throw from Scott Tolzien against cornerback Casey Hayward. Last Wednesday, he made a one-handed catch for a touchdown over Sam Shields.

But Janis has not done it in a game yet. The Packers held him out against the Titans even though he practiced last week. His debut should come Saturday at St. Louis.

"We're hoping to get him to a position where he can play in a game," McCarthy said. "He's raw; he needs the work. But you know he's a big, athletic receiver that has excellent body control."

In limited opportunities, the seventh-round pick from Saginaw Valley State has shown why the Packers took a shot at the small-school receiver in the seventh round. At 6-foot-3 and 219 pounds, perhaps the only other receiver on the roster that can match Janis in stature is Nelson.

Still, it was a bit of a flier, even in the seventh-round, because there was no way to know whether Janis was just beating up on inferior competition at the Division II level. But his two biggest plays in camp so far have come against perhaps the Packers' top-two cover cornerbacks.

"I think one of my best attributes is being able to stretch the field and have the quarterback throw the ball downfield and make a play on the ball," Janis said. "That's what I'm trying to get done."

6 foot 3

20 bench reps

37.5 inch vertical

And - he is making plays as a young puppy....

I'm buying!!!

Moved him way up my prospect rankings this week.

Drafted him in most of my leagues and tried trading for him this week, but his price is already rising pretty fast now. Looks like it would take a future 2nd or a decent prospect.

But I'm all-in at this point. IMO to show like that in his first week of camp after coming out of a small school is a big go sign and starts to confirm his pre-draft profile (which was outstanding).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of the Charles Johnson hype from last year. Good guy to stash and monitor, camp news can be a lot of hyperbole, but everyone seems to be real high on the dude.

I was looking into him the other day (part of my team physical). But alas another owner signed him before I could pull the trigger. I was considering dumping Doug Baldwin for him but just couldn't do it.

Seems like a no brainer for the price of a waiver pick in any but the shallowest dynasties. He became a must-buy for me with the combination of the good reports about him, Abbrederis going down and Boykin looking average. Obviously a raw athlete and a play for the future but he seems to have a real shot to make a game impact as a situational deep threat as soon as this season. He makes a couple of plays there and suddenly it gets hard to keep a guy like that off the field.

While he's raw and small school guys usually have a learning curve, it's very encouraging that it doesn't seem to be a hands issue (which seems much harder to teach than route-running or getting off the press).

He just outran the defense on a drag route 34 yards to house. He has legit talent. Only thing holding him back is opportunity and if he keeps making plays they will have no choice.

Sell Boykin while you still (maybe) can..

Reminds me of the Charles Johnson hype from last year. Good guy to stash and monitor, camp news can be a lot of hyperbole, but everyone seems to be real high on the dude.
The Johnson hype was purely based on measureables and they way he looked in pads. Once the whistle blew, the guy did absolutely nothing in training camp. Janis has been making highlight reel plays in practice every day and today is getting it done in a a game.

No posts in two weeks- I'm surprised how quiet the forum is on this guy. He had a nice TD grab tonight and an explosive kick return, albeit against 3rd-stringers. His physical talent is obvious when you see him on the field- he's big dude who can fly and seems to have both ball skills and open field skills. He's definitely a guy you'll have to be patient with, but I suspect he will flash some impressive plays this year and start to demand more playing time in 2015.

33-yard receiving TD

61-yard kick return

Looked great tonight and got behind the defense repeatedly. Other than the pass that got thrown at his ankles where is route was pretty poor and let CB get position on him was in good position all night. Gets compared a lot to the Charles Johnson infatuation last season but already has made way more plays than he did in a GB uniform pre-injury. Intrigued to see how he shakes out b/c he has some special in his game.

Rotoworld:

Seventh-round WR Jeff Janis made the Packers' 53-man roster.

At 6'3/219 with 4.42 wheels and a 37 1/2-inch vertical, the Saginaw Valley product was always a good bet to stick thanks to upside. He ended up making "wow" plays on a near-daily basis during practices, and turned both of his preseason catches into touchdowns. Janis easily beat out Myles White and Kevin Dorsey to be the No. 5 receiver on a team that kept five wideouts. He's an obvious Dynasty hold with Aaron Rodgers just 30 years old.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Aug 31 - 10:51 AM

He's my favorite off-season grab right now. Here's to hoping Cobb moves on and Janis gets his opportunity next year.

He's my favorite off-season grab right now. Here's to hoping Cobb moves on and Janis gets his opportunity next year.
Don't see Cobb moving on.

But think Janis or Abbrederris will be taking over Boykin's #4 spot and could add some special team's work.

Don't see Cobb moving on.

But think Janis or Abbrederris will be taking over Boykin's #4 spot and could add some special team's work.
Honestly, who knows at this point. I'm sure the Packers would love to have him back. I'm confident they will put a value on him, and make him a good offer. What is impossible to say at this point is whether or not another team throws the bank at him. The Seahawks signed Harvin to a 5 year 64 million dollar deal. Mike Wallace got 5 years and 60 Million. I'm not sure the Packers are going to pay that kind of money.

Cobb would look great in seattle
Sounds like what people said about Harvin... The only good news for Cobb in Seattle would be if Lynch is gone.

Back to Janis though. He's a project, we all know that. The measurables are there and all the reports seem to be glowing, making him a great add for now. Likely back to the waivers if Cobb gets re-signed.

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis - WR - Packers

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he thinks second-year WR Jeff Janis will "take a big step" in 2015.

"Obviously, I think we all saw his vertical speed. He’s an extremely physical young man," McCarthy said. "He’s an Olympian in the weight room. He’s got a lot of raw skill, and I look for him to make that jump." A favorite of the metric community, Janis was an extremely athletic but raw receiver when the Packers took him in the seventh round last year. After spending a year honing his craft, Janis will have the opportunity to carve out a role in the Packers' high-powered offense this preseason. He is a strong hold in Dynasty leagues.

Source: ESPN Wisconsin

Feb 19 - 9:06 PM

Is this a bigger big step or a smaller big step than the one McCarthy said Jarrett Boykin was going to take last year?

Is this a bigger big step or a smaller big step than the one McCarthy said Jarrett Boykin was going to take last year?
Is it an indication that McCarthy knows Cobb will be gone?
Reading the local tea leaves, I think Cobb is back. Packers rarely if ever, let a young guy they drafted go. Cobb is a good guy, good player, and fits their needs. They set themselves up well to sign essentially any of their own free agents that they want to.

Boykin is done in GB. So it will probably work like this:

Nelson and Adams line up on the outside most of the time, Cobb mans the slot.

Janis is the kickoff returner, and primary backup to Adams and Nelson.

Abbrederis will be the punt returner and primary backup to Cobb in the slot.

Having said that, the Packers rotate all their WRs through all the positions, so Nelson and Adams will also get time in the slot, and Cobb on the outside.

Both Janis and Abbrederis will get some work in 4 and 5 WRs sets this year. Fantasy relevance will likely hinge completely on injury. However, the upside is quite high. If Nelson or Cobb miss time, Janis or Abbrederis would very likely be a top 20 start at WR on any given week. If it were a long term injury, you've got a WR2.

Most backup WRs aren't in the position that Abbrederis and Janis are in. If given the opportunity, they get to catch passes from Aaron Rodgers in his prime, in a pass happy offense. I believe they are both good enough to excel given the opportunity. They both are significantly more talented than Jarrett Boykin, and Boykin put up numbers with Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn in this offense.

Is it an indication that McCarthy knows Cobb will be gone?
Reading the local tea leaves, I think Cobb is back. Packers rarely if ever, let a young guy they drafted go. Cobb is a good guy, good player, and fits their needs. They set themselves up well to sign essentially any of their own free agents that they want to.
Yeah, I actually went back and looked at all the drafts since Ted Thompson took over in 2005. The only player I could find that could be considered average or above average that didn't get a contract extension after their rookie deal was Daryn Colledge. And he's not exactly a future hall of famer.

The smart move is to let Cobb go the way they let Jennings go. Rodgers makes the WRs, they don't make Rodgers. It's the same as in NE with Brady yet the talent levels are higher at WR in GB. Adams fills Cobb's spot and Janis fills Adams spot.

The smart move is to let Cobb go the way they let Jennings go. Rodgers makes the WRs, they don't make Rodgers. It's the same as in NE with Brady yet the talent levels are higher at WR in GB. Adams fills Cobb's spot and Janis fills Adams spot.
Why did they pay Jordy then? And why did TT offer Jennings a bunch of money 1 year before he left town?

Why did they pay Jordy then? And why did TT offer Jennings a bunch of money 1 year before he left town?
I don't remember the Packers letting any receiver go without a reasonable offer...they gave Jennings one but he wanted the most money he could get.

I don't remember the Packers letting any receiver go without a reasonable offer...they gave Jennings one but he wanted the most money he could get.
I am pretty sure he ended up with less than the Packers were offering as well when it came down to it.

Users who are viewing this thread