What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breakout Players for 2014? (1 Viewer)

Varmint

Footballguy
It could be anyone...but...who do you see as the player(s) who are ready for a "breakout" season.

You know...that guy who had a mediocre season in 2013, whose circumstances have changed around him or has received a change in scenery who will make the best of it this year.

So far, I've heard good things are coming from:

1. M. Ball RB Den

2. L. Bell RB Pitt

3. A. Ellington RB Ari

4. A. Luck QB Ind

5. C. Patterson WR Min

Agree?

Disagree?

Any others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a pretty good list. Based on your criteria, I'd add:

Zach Ertz

Justin Hunter

Toby Gerhart

As a Viking homer, I'm going to add Kyle Rudolph to the list. I also think the starting QB will be great value, whoever it turns out to be...

BuckeyeChaos said:
ppr special: mini breakout Dexter McCluster reprising the Danny Woodhead role this year.
Consult the Dexter Mccluster thread for four years of the same hypetrain.

Michael Floyd.Bryce Brown. Cleveland defense. Tannehill. maybe Bortles.K. Cousins - there is no way in hell Bob Griffin lasts all season long..he's going to get creamed - again..he got hurt tonight, limping around after a dive..took two other mean shots..its only a matter of time.

Cassel

K. Rudolph

Ertz

I think Cj2k has a bounce back season

Terpman22 said:
Travis Kelce

Terrence Williams

Justin Hunter

Markus Wheaton
This is the best list I have seen for guys that are far off the radar but could end up as regular starters.

Terpman22 said:
Travis Kelce

Terrence Williams

Justin Hunter

Markus Wheaton
This is the best list I have seen for guys that are far off the radar but could end up as regular starters.
Is Hunter really on the radar anymore though?
Did you mean on the radar or off? He is very much on the radar of any savy player. In this current age of info, every player is on the radar. I meant guys that aren't being being drafted near their potential.

Terpman22 said:
Travis Kelce

Terrence Williams

Justin Hunter

Markus Wheaton
Did you mean on the radar or off? He is very much on the radar of any savy player. In this current age of info, every player is on the radar. I meant guys that aren't being being drafted near their potential.
Sorry I meant off*. In non-guppy leagues his ADP/stock has sky-rocketed so there's a lot more risk involved for the cost to acquire or draft him.

Terpman22 said:
Travis Kelce

Terrence Williams

Justin Hunter

Markus Wheaton
Sorry I meant off*. In non-guppy leagues his ADP/stock has sky-rocketed so there's a lot more risk involved for the cost to acquire or draft him.
It's only sky rocketed very recently and still I'm not sure it has caught up with his potential.

No love for Kendall Wright in that offense huh?
What's his TD ceiling? That has obviously scared off fantasy players. I see him as a Derrick Mason type. Perpetually reliable but without big upside.
His TD ceiling is certainly higher than it is now based on talent alone. I would say 6-8 any given year isn't unrealistic. It isn't his ability that's holding him back as much as it is the limitations of the QB who is throwing him the ball. If he was playing in GB, DEN, or even someplace like DAL he would be oozing with upside.

Hopefully TEN drafts a more accurate QB in 2015.

No love for Kendall Wright in that offense huh?
What's his TD ceiling? That has obviously scared off fantasy players. I see him as a Derrick Mason type. Perpetually reliable but without big upside.
His TD ceiling is certainly higher than it is now based on talent alone. I would say 6-8 any given year isn't unrealistic. It isn't his ability that's holding him back as much as it is the limitations of the QB who is throwing him the ball. If he was playing in GB, DEN, or even someplace like DAL he would be oozing with upside.Hopefully TEN drafts a more accurate QB in 2015.
If locker just stays healthy he'll have a better qb than last year. Maybe I'm putting too much weight into the coach but wiz will help a lot.

Mark Ingram: He will far exceed his 500 yard rushing + 50 yard receiving + 4 TD career average (my guess: more than 50%)

I do not know what breakout may mean, but I interpreted it as significant increase in production; and not value for ADP.

Mark Ingram: He will far exceed his 500 yard rushing + 50 yard receiving + 4 TD career average (my guess: more than 50%)

I do not know what breakout may mean, but I interpreted it as significant increase in production; and not value for ADP.
I just obtained Ingram for $2 in my auction league. Although I have low expectations, I'd be heartened by an explanation why you think he is primed for a career year. Thanks.

I just obtained Ingram for $2 in my auction league. Although I have low expectations, I'd be heartened by an explanation why you think he is primed for a career year. Thanks.
$2, out of how much? How many teams/players on each team? How many starting RBs? PPR/scoring rules?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm seriously interested. I have an auction coming up, and I think Ingram could make a good late buy, but ADP/ mock drafts don't really help in preparing for an auction, so I find real auction information invaluable.

same reason he thinks he's primed for a career year every august, and he saw the guy produce in one game when pierre thomas was out.

Career year is a definition I struggle with.

I believe it is that hard to argue against him achieving 50% production increase, 750/75/6ish, due to his low career base up to now & based on 2013 performances that production puts him into the range of about RB 25-30.

As to my personal rationale, I trust that the Saints will adjust to their new personnel and he will benefit.

I am a Pats fan. The thing I find similar between New England and New Orleans in this context is that the mainstay is the QuarterBack. I observe that all other chips and plays may move around to the strength and versatility of how the QB can bring out the best in the personnel around him. Correct me if I am wrong, but Pats offense have been different with Moss, Welker, Woodhead, Branch, Dillon on or off the field.

The Saints have had Reggie Bush & Darren Sproles filling a particular role, though somewhat different in their unique ways. The playmakers from not long ago - 2012 - that remain on the team are only Colston, Thomas & Graham. Thomas (almost 30) is relegated to RB3 as of now. New emerging players besides Ingram look to be Cooks, Stills & Robinson. All bring forth different skills from the departed Sproles, Moore (& Thomas). I see so far that Payton is experimenting with this new offense. I can make a moderate correlation to what Fisher did last year after game 5. In that comparison, the good thing is that this is preseason for the Saints and that the Rams were a 1-3 team with their (franchise??) QB lost for the season.

With all of this comparative observations with other teams and franchise history, let me come to why I feel the way I do.

Accepting the option that Robinson may be the plodder, Ingram looks to be taking on the base role of Bush/Sproles now with the big asterisk given my line of thought above. The asterisk is that he is neither Bush nor Sproles, and that Cooks will likely take away a lot from the receiving part of that role. Yet he is in there in that base role and Payton will likely take advantage of what he brings to the field with his own skillset. I trust his downfall, if it happens, will come either from his own self, or through the emergence of another successful late round pick up, e.g. Cadet, Flanders, etc. If he can hold on to this spot, I trust that that offense steered by Brees will give him the lanes, the breaks, the screens, the gaps sufficient amount of times that 750/75/6 is rationally attainable.

{My personal gut/hope/wish/vision - whatever you may want to call - is higher than that to about 1000/200/6 and I want to hedge that bet with one of them youngsters as a preemptive FA pickup, both if my roster is deep. The picture will probably be clear in the 1st Quarter of the season and then I can drop one/both the backups for that weekly BYE week fillers.}

These are my two cents. Please take them with a grain of salt.

Let's throw two guys that aren't as popular choices:

Rod Streater - with Holmes struggling to catch a pass and James Jones just being himself, I get a feeling Rod has a good chance of being the #1 in receptions, If Matt Schaub is even decent or Carr will come and replace him and be better Rod can put some decent numbers. And what ever you think about Matt and Carr, they are upgrade compared to Pryor and McGloin, just think about it.

Golden Tate- you can't throw to Calvin every time. Tate is electric player who now has a good QB throwing the ball to him, so I would take my chances with him. Detroit has been trying to find a #2 receiver for years and I think they have finally done it.

Rod Streater - with Holmes struggling to catch a pass and James Jones just being himself, I get a feeling Rod has a good chance of being the #1 in receptions, If Matt Schaub is even decent or Carr will come and replace him and be better Rod can put some decent numbers. And what ever you think about Matt and Carr, they are upgrade compared to Pryor and McGloin, just think about it.

Golden Tate- you can't throw to Calvin every time. Tate is electric player who now has a good QB throwing the ball to him, so I would take my chances with him. Detroit has been trying to find a #2 receiver for years and I think they have finally done it.
Wow I think tate is good but wilson is a much better qb than stafford

That's debatable. They are completely different guys. Wilson plays on the much better team, Matt has the best receiver in the game.

That's debatable. They are completely different guys. Wilson plays on the much better team, Matt has the best receiver in the game.
Yeah, Tate had a good QB throwing to him already. The big difference is the teams' styles of play.

Yeah, Tate had a good QB throwing to him already. The big difference is the teams' styles of play.
Agreed - Tate is slated to get considerably more targets in Detroit than he did with the run-heavy Seahawks.

zamboni said:
John 14:6 said:
FUBAR said:
need2know said:
Fireinside said:

Agreed - Tate is slated to get considerably more targets in Detroit than he did with the run-heavy Seahawks.
That's what I meant, more targets coming to his way from Stafford than Wilson. As a fantasy qb behind a receiver, I'd rather have Stafford than Wilson at the moment.

Fireinside said:

I like Streater. Not a consistent producer, but he seems to consistently be there in rounds 15-17. I'll take a starting WR there as my 5/6 WR everytime I can.

I'll add a few which didn't make it into the first 42 posts.

AJ Jenkins

Aaron Dobson

Tyler Eifert

Robert Woods

DeAndre Hopkins

Jared Cook

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to trade for Tyler Eifert the other day. Almost had him but the owner pulled out last minute. That happens a lot when I show interest in a player. It sucks.

Brian Quick. It took him two years, but it seems he knows what an NFL playbook looks like now.
I was just going to post the same thing. Quick looks awesome so far. He, Britt, Cook and Tavon are going to be nightmares for D's.
It's hard for me to get on board with the entire offense. I still remember how we were lied to going into 2013. I just can't let my enthusiasm get too far ahead of me for the entire team. But for Quick... yeah. His book learnin' seems to have finally caught up with his raw talent.

I'm grabbing Jake Locker essentially for free as a backup in the last round.

Wright already emerged as a first-rate possession guy. Obviously, all reports are glowing on Hunter, and on the Locker/Hunter chemistry. Walker's a good, solid pass-catching TE. McCluster's got the tools to be a primo third down/C.o.P. back. The line is going to protect him very well. And they've got Whiz calling the signals. I think man-for-man, the ten guys surrounding Locker this year on any given play are going to be better than the ten that were surrounding Rivers last year. They don't have the SD run game, and Locker himself is no Rivers. But I like the odds that on balance, he comes through with a surprisingly good season.

I like him to finish ahead of other discount darlings like Palmer, Bradford, Dalton, Alex Smith, Tannehill, et al. I have him at 15th in my rankings, and think he's got upside from there. I actually have him ahead of Rivers, who I assume will keep handing off since that was so strong for them down the stretch.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread