What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US journalist James Foley beheaded by ISIS (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Story on beheading

(CNN) -- A video released by ISIS shows the beheading of U.S. journalist James Foley and threatens the life of another American if President Barack Obama doesn't end military operations in Iraq.

In the video posted Tuesday on YouTube, Foley is seen kneeling next to a man dressed in black. Foley reads a message, presumably scripted by his captors, that his "real killer'' is America.

"I wish I had more time. I wish I could have the hope for freedom to see my family once again," he can be heard saying in the video.

He is then shown being beheaded.

"We have seen a video that purports to be the murder of U.S. citizen James Foley by (ISIS)," National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said. "The intelligence community is working as quickly as possible to determine its authenticity. If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends. We will provide more information when it is available."

Obama was briefed about the video, and "he will continue to receive regular updates," White House spokesman Eric Schultz said.

ISIS has carried out executions, including beheadings, as part of its effort to establish an Islamic caliphate that stretches from Syria into Iraq. In many cases, ISIS -- which refers to itself as the Islamic State -- has videotaped the executions and posted them online.

'They are innocents'

Foley disappeared on November 22, 2012, in northwest Syria, near the border with Turkey. He was reportedly forced into a vehicle by gunmen; he was not heard from again. At the time of his disappearance, he was working for the U.S.-based online news outlet GlobalPost.

On Tuesday, Foley's mother, Diane, took to social media with an emotional statement to praise and mourn her son.

"We have never been prouder of our son Jim. He gave his life trying to expose the world to the suffering of the Syrian people," she said in a post on the Free James Foley Facebook page.

"We implore the kidnappers to spare the lives of the remaining hostages. Like Jim, they are innocents. They have no control over American government policy in Iraq, Syria or anywhere in the world.

"We thank Jim for all the joy he gave us. He was an extraordinary son, brother, journalist and person. Please respect our privacy in the days ahead as we mourn and cherish Jim.''

Another American in video

The video of his killing also shows another U.S. journalist. The militant in the video, who speaks English with what sounds like a British accent, says the other American's life hangs in the balance, depending on what Obama does next.

The journalist is believed to be Steven Sotloff, who was kidnapped at the Syria-Turkey border in 2013. Sotloff is a contributor to Time and Foreign Policy magazines.

The Committee to Protect Journalists estimates there are about 20 journalists missing in Syria, many of them held by ISIS.

Among them is American Austin Tice, a freelance journalist who was contributing articles to The Washington Post. Tice disappeared in Syria in August 2012. There has been no word of from him since his abduction.

'We ask for your prayers'

As a freelancer, Foley picked up work for a number of major media outlets, including Agence France-Presse and GlobalPost.

"On behalf of John and Diane Foley, and also GlobalPost, we deeply appreciate all of the messages of sympathy and support that have poured in since the news of Jim's possible execution first broke," Philip Balboni, GlobalPost CEO and co-founder, said in a published statement, referring to James Foley's parents.

"We have been informed that the FBI is in the process of evaluating the video posted by the Islamic State to determine if it is authentic. Until we have that determination, we will not be in a position to make any further statement. We ask for your prayers for Jim and his family."

Foley had previously been taken captive in Libya. He was detained there in April 2011 along with three other reporters and released six weeks later.

Afterward, he said that what saddened him most was knowing that he was causing his family to worry.

Fair, curious and popular

Foley grew up in New Hampshire and graduated from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism in 2008.

Like some other young journalists working after the September 11 terror attacks, Foley was drawn to Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas of conflict.

Friends described Foley as fair, curious and impressively even-tempered.

"Everybody, everywhere, takes a liking to Jim as soon as they meet him," journalist Clare Morgana Gillis wrote in a blog post about him in May 2013, six months after he disappeared in Syria.

"Men like him for his good humor and tendency to address everyone as 'bro' or 'homie' or 'dude' after the first handshake. Women like him for his broad smile, broad shoulders, and because, well, women just like him."

'Our hearts are broken'

People in Foley's hometown of Rochester, New Hampshire, expressed shock and sadness at the news.

"This is a tragedy which is beyond imagining. There are no words to describe this kind of inhumanity," the Rev. Paul Gousse of the Holy Rosary Church told CNN affiliate WMUR.

"You just feel sad," Sully Harte, a neighbor, told the local broadcaster. "You just hope the family can grieve and deal with it because it's one of those things that you can't control at all."

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, Republican of New Hampshire, said in a statement that "our hearts are broken for the Foley family."

"James was an innocent civilian who was bravely performing his job as a journalist," Ayotte said. "This barbaric and heinous act shocks the conscience and highlights the truly evil nature of the terrorists we confront, who must be defeated."

Previous brutal killings of Americans

The video of Foley was released as ISIS is being targeted by American airstrikes ordered by Obama.

"I think they may have been surprised and are doing the best they can to retaliate," former CIA director R. James Woolsey, Jr. told CNN.

Foley's killing recalled the murder of Daniel Pearl, The Wall Street Journal correspondent who was kidnapped while reporting in Pakistan in January 2002. His killing was captured on video and posted on line by al Qaeda.

It also harkened to the videotaped beheadings of Americans Nicholas Berg, Eugene Armstrong and Jack Hensley carried out by al Qaeda during the height of the Iraq War.

Beheading of American journalist James Foley recalls past horrors
Just awful.

Unfortunately, it looks like Sotloff might be next. I know this is in the Iraq thread but thought it deserved its own as this is a major story with many countries looking to jump in due to these actions.

Steven Sotloff is good as dead no matter what we do... it's just a matter of time.

At this point I'm in favor of making Iraq a U.S. territory... bomb the hell out of them, WWII style, go in with boots on the ground, establish martial law, install the puppet government, and rule with an iron fist like the Shah. Let's see how they like that approach.

Steven Sotloff is good as dead no matter what we do... it's just a matter of time.

At this point I'm in favor of making Iraq a U.S. territory... bomb the hell out of them, WWII style, go in with boots on the ground, establish martial law, install the puppet government, and rule with an iron fist like the Shah. Let's see how they like that approach.
This was already being done and we ruined it, now we are ####ed.

Then we should go back and take their oil.

Crazy that journalists go over there unarmed. I can see how noble it is but my life isn't worth getting CNN web clicks.

Then we should go back and take their oil.
That country needed Saddam - Without an iron fist, that place turns to ####, well more ####.

Would never work.

There are no right answers here. Im of the school of thought to just GFO out of there... keep a toehold in with some friendlies in the area just in case we need rapid response stuff and to keep them honest, but IMO any journalists entering that area at this point is taking their own lives into their hands and simply can't be surprised when something like this happens. That's some 3rd world #### going on over there...

:goodposting:

No need to fret, we're lead by a chief executive who backs down to no one .

What is your guess as to the number of boots needed and how much will that cost?

What is your guess as to the number of boots needed and how much will that cost?
Well we already did it once so we should have that handy.

It will never end... We go in there for another 7-10 years, eliminate ISIS and another group of ####os come in. It is a never ending cycle with no solution.

It will never end... We go in there for another 7-10 years, eliminate ISIS and another group of ####os come in. It is a never ending cycle with no solution.
I was kidding. Don't worry, we're not going in. ISIS has free rein to do what it wants, whatever however, within the bounds of how well the Iraqis, Syrians and Kurds can defend themselves. America doesn't take moral positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy that journalists go over there unarmed. I can see how noble it is but my life isn't worth getting CNN web clicks.
It is noble. He was kidnapped before in Lybia. Went back into another war zone, to show people what was going on, to document history. I don't think any of us would do that.

right on, :lmao:

I'm talking about making numerous permanent installations in Iraq. Remember the saying from the Bush days.... "you broke it, you own it"? Well, we broke it, we owned it, and we should have kept it. I have no idea of the cost, but I'm not talking about sending just a few over there to quell the violence, but rather multiple permanent bases. It would be easier to deal with Iran that way, too.

Particulary Foley. Foley was captured by Muslim militants in Libya in 2011. He was held captive for forrty-four days. You would think after an ordeal like that Foley would be reluctant to throw himself back into an area teaming with Muslim militants, but he apparently loved his work and would not be deterred. He tossed himself right back into a similar situation in Syria in 2012, and now this is the unfortunate end. RIP James Foley.

I'm talking about making numerous permanent installations in Iraq. I have no idea of the cost, but I'm not talking about sending just a few over there to quell the violence, but rather multiple permanent bases. It would be easier to deal with Iran that way, too.
So another 2 trillion dollars and maybe around 8K dead and lets say 40K with their legs and what not blown off - and if we are really going to go "all-in" - maybe double those numbers at a minimum ?

I'm talking about making numerous permanent installations in Iraq. I have no idea of the cost, but I'm not talking about sending just a few over there to quell the violence, but rather multiple permanent bases. It would be easier to deal with Iran that way, too.
So another 2 trillion dollars and maybe around 8K dead and lets say 40K with their legs and what not blown off - and if we are really going to go "all-in" - maybe double those numbers at a minimum ?
What's the alternative? Wait for these whackos to hit us on home turf again? Because that's also just a matter of time.

What's the alternative? Wait for these whackos to hit us on home turf again? Because that's also just a matter of time.
And that, sir, is the Question.

How many people would change their answer (in some way) if they thought this was "probably" going to happen?

In a weird way, I'm kinda impressed that ISIS held on to him for this long. You'd think after a year there would be some grumblings about keeping the guy alive (let alone almost 2)

"Can we put him in front of a camera and make demands and kill him if they don't meet them?"

"No, not yet."

(Month later)

"How about now?"

"No, not yet."

(another month)

"Say this would be a great time to do it."

"No, not yet."

(yet another month)

"Maybe we should do it just to keep our name out there. Think of it as advertising."

"No not yet."

(Several months later)

"I give up. We're obviously never going to use him."

"Now! Kill him now!"

We're not going "all in". I predict we're gong to continue to do what we are doing right now: support the Kurds with air power, support the central government with money and arms, and do our best to contain this threat. We will be successful, and as we are we can expect more terrorist strikes by ISIS against American journalists and civilians. And that in turn will fuel those who disagree with what Obama's doing: the types who want us to go all in, invade Iraq again and wipe out ISIS, and the isolationist types like Politician Spock who want us to pull out completely. But Obama and the next President will hopefully resist both of these groups and stay the course.

We are to the people of the Middle East today as Britain was to the people of the American continent in the 18th century.

Many of them want that powerful country on the other side of the Atlantic to just get the #### out, and they see everything they do as being patriots to their country, freeing it from the powerful oppressor.

In the 1770's, hiding behind trees and rocks as you fire guns in a war was considered barbaric, and people in England were fed stories of just how awful those fighting against Britain in America were to continue garning support for the war in America.

We're not going "all in". I predict we're gong to continue to do what we are doing right now: support the Kurds with air power, support the central government with money and arms, and do our best to contain this threat. We will be successful, and as we are we can expect more terrorist strikes by ISIS against American journalists and civilians. And that in turn will fuel those who disagree with what Obama's doing: the types who want us to go all in, invade Iraq again and wipe out ISIS, and the isolationist types like Politician Spock who want us to pull out completely. But Obama and the next President will hopefully resist both of these groups and stay the course.
You are an #######! #### you!

In before someone comments on how peaceful their religion is
Just to be clear, their religion is not peaceful. But they are also not Muslims. They're kind of like the Westboro Baptist Church of Muslims. Except bigger. And way crazier.
Large portions of Muslims support honor killings, killing apostates, and suicide bombings. It's more like the Baptists than Westboro Baptist. A whole denomination of crazy people.

In before someone comments on how peaceful their religion is
Just to be clear, their religion is not peaceful. But they are also not Muslims. They're kind of like the Westboro Baptist Church of Muslims. Except bigger. And way crazier.
Large portions of Muslims support honor killings, killing apostates, and suicide bombings. It's more like the Baptists than Westboro Baptist. A whole denomination of crazy people.
OK.

If we wouldn't have supported the destabilizing of Libya & Syria we likely wouldn't of been in this mess. Anyone remember Kerry answering questions about the rebels in Syria we were arming? Well these were the guys.

We should have never supported the rebels that were rioting in Libya, and we would of avoided an ambassador getting killed.

We should have never supported the rebels in Syria and we wouldn't have this and future crap.

These people are never going to have a democracy as we know it. We should have been more supportive of the regimes that at least kept peace in the region. Now Egypt, Iraq, Libya, and Syria are a mess.

whats he supposed to do?

You are an #######! #### you!
Yeah I knew that would be your reaction, but I think that at this point, given your constant calls for us simply to remove ourselves from the region, your absurd analogy to Great Britain and ourselves in the 18th century, and your identification with Ron and Rand Paul's foreign policy, it is correct to label you an isolationist. I wish you wouldn't take such personal offense. While I disagree strongly with your views and find many of them ludicrous, no personal insult was intended. I think you're a very bright guy and, from what I know, a decent and good one as well.

Particulary Foley. Foley was captured by Muslim militants in Libya in 2011. He was held captive for forrty-four days. You would think after an ordeal like that Foley would be reluctant to throw himself back into an area teaming with Muslim militants, but he apparently loved his work and would not be deterred. He tossed himself right back into a similar situation in Syria in 2012, and now this is the unfortunate end. RIP James Foley.
I did a little searching on the guy they showed at the end of the video who is going to be beheaded next. He is from Miami & went to UCF. Anyways, on his twitter he said something about his friend being executed in Libya. These guys are well aware of the danger they are in. I think that is part of the reason they do it.

thats kindof on him then

sad most certainly but come on man

that's what the CIA is for.Up to them to protect us and ferret out home attacks.

Just because another 3k people may die in a 9/11 style attack doesn't mean we lose multiples of that plus cost billions of dollars that are better served used domestically.

Honestly just need to leave this kind of #### to the UN. We can't stop primitive cultures from killing each other and themselves. That's for them to figure out.

These ISIS guys are just going town by town in Iraq and murdering all the men. There are videos on LiveLeak of them marching lines of men to get shot.

The videos are pretty well produced too. They have music in the background, fading in and out, text over the video, etc. They also have launched social media campaigns.

What's the downside for us pulling completely out of the region? Is it just oil? Is the second most important reason humanitarian?

What's the downside for us pulling completely out of the region? Is it just oil? Is the second most important reason humanitarian?
For me, both. But since we didn't get involved in the Sudan, I would have to say that the primary reason is to protect the flow of oil.

For me, both. But since we didn't get involved in the Sudan, I would have to say that the primary reason is to protect the flow of oil.
Quite obvious. It's been the policy of the US since the 70's oil crisis if not before. If you got oil we are your buddy. If you don't then we only attack if we think somehow you could be a threat to oil somewhere. That's the way it has to be to keep the engine running.

Quite obvious. It's been the policy of the US since the 70's oil crisis if not before. If you got oil we are your buddy. If you don't then we only attack if we think somehow you could be a threat to oil somewhere. That's the way it has to be to keep the engine running.
What would happen if we were cut off from mid-east oil? Obviously prices would rise, but aren't we getting a smaller and smaller percentage from the mid-east each year? At what point do we just pull out totally? Plus, I doubt the entire mid-east would want to lose us as oil customers, so it's not like we have no economic power in the region.

In the end it is all about money and power. That is the reason we are there and they is the reason we will continue to be in the region. War makes much of the 1% happy, it gives them profits and control of oil.

Users who are viewing this thread