What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US journalist James Foley beheaded by ISIS (2 Viewers)

A grad school friend of mine who I remain friends with on Facebook was Jim Foley's college roommate and close friend. Several of Foley's friends are paying tribute to him on Facebook, and because my friend is tagged in these posts and they're receiving so many likes and comments they are showing up in my newsfeed. Really sad stuff.

Last night, before I went to bed, I saw that my friend had changed his profile picture to a photo of him and Jim together. I should have realized something was up, but I was unaware that Jim was still in captivity. Anyway, my friend has only posted one thing other than changing his profile pic. He shared the below article from 2013.

My Friend James Foley

Clare Morgana Gillis is an American journalist. She has reported from Egypt, Libya, Syria and Mali for The Atlantic Monthly, Foreign Policy and USA Today, among others. Currently based in Istanbul, she holds a Ph.D. from Harvard University.

How do I sum up my friend Jim?

Around this time last year, having returned to the U.S. from his first trip to Syria, he was emailing me repeatedly. Come to NYC, dude, he said, the nickname he used with everyone. We need you ASAP.

He needed me there because he was helping put together an auction at Christies to support the children of Anton Hammerl. Anton was a South African photojournalist who was killed in an ambush that saw the three of us, along with Spanish photographer Manu Brabo (winner of this years Pulitzer Prize), detained in Tripoli for six weeks in 2011.

Jim had mourned our friend, befriended Antons widow and young children, and moved on to the question that drove both his personal life and his work: How can we help?

Its the same impulse that compelled him to cut short his much-needed break from reporting in Syria when a colleague went missing last summer, and to raise money for an ambulance for Aleppos Dar al-Shifa field hospital, where he spent weeks filming the plight of doctors who struggled to save lives with minimal space equipment.

If it were any of us whod been captured, Jim would no doubt be organizing events, raising money, and trying to put together recon and rescue missions to get us out. But with the radical uptick in journalist abductions in Syria over recent months Jims fellow freelancer Austin Tice has now been missing since August 2012, and even NBCs chief foreign correspondent, Richard Engel, was kidnapped at the beginning of the year the latter isnt an option.

I first met Jim the day he arrived in Benghazi, in March 2011, and we became fast friends. While trying to get to the front line via a giant bus organized by Libyas rebel media center, we got sent back at a checkpoint near the hot spot of Ajdabiya. We banded together and eventually made our way to the front, catching rides on rebel gun trucks and in civilian cars.

Id never been to a war zone before. Having spent years reporting on conflict, Jim told me when to duck and when to run. If he had a sandwich, hed offer me half; if down to one cigarette, hed pass it back and forth. He saved my life twice before Id known him a full month.

Jim sees the good in nearly everything and everyone. He is a master motivator. You got this, dude! hell say. That storys great, just file it already.

Jim is impatient with checkpoints, inaction, anything that slows his forward momentum. He is always striving to get to the next place, to get closer to what is really happening, and to understand what moves the people hes speaking with. Captivity is the state most violently opposite his nature. But when we were detained in Tripoli, Jim automatically turned his energies to keeping up our strength and hope.

We shared a cell for two and a half weeks, and every day he came up with lists for us to talk through. Top 10 movies. Favorite books. The fall of the Roman Empire and the rebirth of Western civilization. Which famous person would you most like to meet? Whats your life story? How does war change you? How can we be better people when we get out of here?

When I was in tears after a six-hour interrogation that ended at sunrise, he observed matter-of-factly, Its their job to break you. They did it to you today, and theyll do it to me tomorrow. Get some sleep.

Once we were moved out of prison into a safe house with a markedly improved standard of life, Jim set to work. Weve got paper, pens, nicotine and caffeine, he said. Theres no excuse not to be writing all this down.

Jim is famously even-tempered. In the field, he raises his voice only on occasion. Photojournalist Nicole Tung [a Syria Deeply contributor] is a close friend and colleague of Jims. When we spoke, she recalled a day in Aleppo in July 2012, when she and Jim accidentally crossed into regime-controlled territory while interviewing internally displaced persons who had taken refuge at Aleppo University.

A Syrian Red Crescent worker became suspicious and asked what they were doing, and if they had visas. I said, Im an American, we came in illegally, of course we have no visas, Nicole recalled. It was stupid. Jim said Yo, Nicole, what are you doing? Shut up. We have to get out of here. Get in the [expletive] car. Id never seen him lose it before. But I hadnt realized how dangerous it was.

Everybody, everywhere, takes a liking to Jim as soon as they meet him. Men like him for his good humor and tendency to address everyone as bro or homie or dude after the first handshake. Women like him for his broad smile, broad shoulders, and because, well, women just like him.

Wherever he is now, I can only assume that hes charmed his guards with his ready laugh and 20 words of Arabic, and is now drinking tea and smoking cigarettes with them, praying for strength and waiting for what comes next. I still call his phone sometimes and listen to the outgoing message. I'm waiting for the day hell pick up.

*What grieved Jim most about detention was the worry he knew he was causing his family. Support them at an event to mark World Press Freedom day in Boston on Friday, May 3. You can also add your name to the petition requesting his release, available at http://freejamesfoley.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Limp Ditka said:
Jeebus, Tim.
Link to where I ever wrote that Saddam Hussein was a good dude?

For the record, Saddam was one of the worst human beings in the history of human civilization. He was truly evil, a mass murderer, I'm not at all unhappy that he's dead and if an afterlife exists I hope he's rotting in hell.

However, I feel the exact same way about Josef Stalin- probably even more so. And we had to work with Josef Stalin. And we should have worked with Saddam Hussein. The United States would be far better off if Hussein was still in charge of Iraq. That's the bottom line. It's a hard old world we're living in.

Limp Ditka said:
Jeebus, Tim.
Link to where I ever wrote that Saddam Hussein was a good dude?

For the record, Saddam was one of the worst human beings in the history of human civilization. He was truly evil, a mass murderer, I'm not at all unhappy that he's dead and if an afterlife exists I hope he's rotting in hell.

However, I feel the exact same way about Josef Stalin- probably even more so. And we had to work with Josef Stalin. And we should have worked with Saddam Hussein. The United States would be far better off if Hussein was still in charge of Iraq. That's the bottom line. It's a hard old world we're living in.
Stalin invaded Poland in partnership with Hitler, wound up on the other side of the War with Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, East Prussia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, Albania, Yugoslavia and half of Germany under his belt. Then we spent 50 years fighting wars with 100,000+ American deaths in Vietnam and Korea, not to mention treasure on a score more proxy wars.

And we worked with Hussein and look at us now. We chased down that rabbit hole in `91 when Israel was pretty much the sole, regular main terrorist target and here we are.

Of course the USSR was a nation of some 300 million and 9 time zones and a competing ideology, a different animal altogether.

Wow - did not realize we had done this:

U.S. attempted Foley rescue in SyriaWASHINGTON A team of several dozen U.S. Special Forces operators entered Syria earlier this summer in a failed bid to rescue “several” American captives, including journalist James Foley, only to discover once on the ground that the hostages had been moved, senior U.S. officials said Wednesday.

It was the first time that U.S. officials revealed that U.S. troops have entered Syria since the civil war erupted there in mid-2012, and the disclosure offered insight into how much the United States knew about Foley’s location and captivity.

The U.S. operation was authorized by President Barack Obama after several threads of intelligence indicated where the hostages were being held, senior administration officials said in a briefing to reporters.

“That mission was mounted through the substantial efforts of our military and intelligence,” said one senior administration official.
The raiding force consisted of members from nearly every U.S. military service and was supported by fixed wing, rotary and surveillance aircraft. They arrived at the site by air, conducted a search by foot and when they discovered that the hostages were not there, left, the officials said, taking hostile fire along the way.

One operator was injured when fired upon while in the air.

In addition, during the operation, “We do believe that there were a good number of ISIL casualties,” a senior administration official said, although he did not offer specifics.

The officials would not say how many Americans they sought to rescue or how long the operators were on the ground.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/20/5118400/us-attempted-foley-rescue-in-syria.html#.U_Uot2M69JI

Josie Maran said:
Fennis said:
TheIronSheik said:
Fennis said:
timschochet said:
Fennis said:
Iraq under Saddam did not keep the peace. The killed hundreds of thousands of people. The only difference is the US wasn't involved.
No, this is incorrect. Saddam kept a stable nation, and also provided a buffer against Iran. When he got out of line (invaded Kuwait) we contained him, but did not overthrow him (which was the correct decision.)
He gassed and killed 10,000 of thousands of Iraqis. He rounded up and killed (tens of) thousands of people who threatened him. He jailed tens of thousands. This is not keeping the peace.
Yes, but did anyone really get hurt?
The narrative of Saddam was a stabilizing (or kept the peace - WTF) factor bugs me to no end. I wasn't in favor of the war, but Saddam was not good for the region.
Boatloads better than the alternative. :shrug:
better for the US. not sure better for the region.

Henry Ford said:
mquinnjr said:
pantherclub said:
mquinnjr said:
johnnycakes said:
Steven Sotloff is good as dead no matter what we do... it's just a matter of time.

At this point I'm in favor of making Iraq a U.S. territory... bomb the hell out of them, WWII style, go in with boots on the ground, establish martial law, install the puppet government, and rule with an iron fist like the Shah. Let's see how they like that approach.
:goodposting:

No need to fret, we're lead by a chief executive who backs down to no one .
whats he supposed to do?
Anything that would prevent groups like ISIS from openly taunting the US in this manner with absolutely no regard for repercussion from the US.
Is this what you said after the Daniel Pearl video?
:crickets:

Josie Maran said:
Fennis said:
TheIronSheik said:
Fennis said:
timschochet said:
Fennis said:
Iraq under Saddam did not keep the peace. The killed hundreds of thousands of people. The only difference is the US wasn't involved.
No, this is incorrect. Saddam kept a stable nation, and also provided a buffer against Iran. When he got out of line (invaded Kuwait) we contained him, but did not overthrow him (which was the correct decision.)
He gassed and killed 10,000 of thousands of Iraqis. He rounded up and killed (tens of) thousands of people who threatened him. He jailed tens of thousands. This is not keeping the peace.
The narrative of Saddam was a stabilizing (or kept the peace - WTF) factor bugs me to no end. I wasn't in favor of the war, but Saddam was not good for the region.
How so? Hundreds of thousands of people have died and that was before the ISIS debacle.

Josie Maran said:
Fennis said:
TheIronSheik said:
Fennis said:
timschochet said:
Fennis said:
How so? Hundreds of thousands of people have died and that was before the ISIS debacle.
hundreds of thousands died before the US invasion too. somewhere around 600,000 people died in the Iraq/Iran war. Saddam wiped out entire villages (estimated 4500) committing what many think was a genocide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Anfal_Campaign

Saddam funded terrorists organizations across the region.

As I mentioned before he rounded up and executed thousands upon thousands of political rivals and opponents.

Look, I'm not saying we should have invaded, but lets not mourn for the good old days.

Josie Maran said:
Fennis said:
TheIronSheik said:
Fennis said:
timschochet said:
Fennis said:
hundreds of thousands died before the US invasion too. somewhere around 600,000 people died in the Iraq/Iran war. Saddam wiped out entire villages (estimated 4500) committing what many think was a genocide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Anfal_Campaign

Saddam funded terrorists organizations across the region.

As I mentioned before he rounded up and executed thousands upon thousands of political rivals and opponents.

Look, I'm not saying we should have invaded, but lets not mourn for the good old days.
But the palace parties were pretty awesome. :thumbup:

I read today that ISIS has between 400 million and 2 billion in cash from banks they've overtaken. If true they are much more dangerous than Al Qaeda.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
TheIronSheik said:
Fennis said:
timschochet said:
Fennis said:
Just a bunch of brown people so it doesn't really count.
Now imagine Tim's opinion if the Kurds were Jews.

I read today that ISIS has between 400 million and 2 billion in cash from banks they've overtaken. If true they are much more dangerous than Al Qaeda.
Sincere question: What will/can they do with it? I know there's lots of bad guys out there, but ISIS seems pretty isolated. And they have no need for air and naval hardware, of course; ground equipment'll just get blown up.

mquinnjr said:
pantherclub said:
mquinnjr said:
johnnycakes said:
Steven Sotloff is good as dead no matter what we do... it's just a matter of time.

At this point I'm in favor of making Iraq a U.S. territory... bomb the hell out of them, WWII style, go in with boots on the ground, establish martial law, install the puppet government, and rule with an iron fist like the Shah. Let's see how they like that approach.

whats he supposed to do?
Anything that would prevent groups like ISIS from openly taunting the US in this manner with absolutely no regard for repercussion from the US.
Like what?

Limp Ditka said:
Jeebus, Tim.
Link to where I ever wrote that Saddam Hussein was a good dude?For the record, Saddam was one of the worst human beings in the history of human civilization. He was truly evil, a mass murderer, I'm not at all unhappy that he's dead and if an afterlife exists I hope he's rotting in hell.

You never know when you need to shut up. You back peddle better than Michael Jackson.

CNN reported that ISIS wanted 138 million to return him alive. I hate to say it but there's no way we could give ISIS that kind of money as it's only going to help them kill more people.

It would also put other Americans in harms way as a free ATM card whenever ISIS needs money.

No easy answers here.

matuski said:
mquinnjr said:
pantherclub said:
mquinnjr said:
johnnycakes said:

whats he supposed to do?
Like what?
Possibly skip a round of golf with Zo in Martha's Vineyard and get back to DC to make it appear that he cares even a little. Cameron didn't waste any time getting back to London from his holiday based upon one of the executioners having a British accent in the video.

Maybe intensify the ISIS bombings, or whatever his military advisers tell him that doesn't make him look completely impotent.

CNN reported that ISIS wanted 138 million to return him alive. I hate to say it but there's no way we could give ISIS that kind of money as it's only going to help them kill more people.

It would also put other Americans in harms way as a free ATM card whenever ISIS needs money.

No easy answers here.
Yeah, this article does a good job of explaining what happens when you pay ransoms to terrorist groups.

matuski said:
mquinnjr said:
pantherclub said:
mquinnjr said:
johnnycakes said:

whats he supposed to do?
Like what?
Possibly skip a round of golf with Zo in Martha's Vineyard and get back to DC to make it appear that he cares even a little. Cameron didn't waste any time getting back to London from his holiday based upon one of the executioners having a British accent in the video.

Maybe intensify the ISIS bombings, or whatever his military advisers tell him that doesn't make him look completely impotent.
Fwiw, 0bama is so unpopular I don't think Sharky's even brought back the Barack-o-Taco this year.

I'd say that's a valid point. Tony Stewart clips and kills a guy and has been taking a few weeks away from the track. It doesn't change anything, but it sends a message. What support does Foley's family get? What message is being sent to them?

I'd love to see a short, intense period of widespread air strikes in Iraq and even Syria. As Jason Bourne said, "there is no measure to how fast and how hard I will bring this fight to your doorstep."

In the video, before he was beheaded, he read from a script about how evil America is and stuff.

That seems kind of weird. He knows he's about to die. Why should his last words be that nonsense? What did they offer him or threaten him with to get him to do that?

In the video, before he was beheaded, he read from a script about how evil America is and stuff.

That seems kind of weird. He knows he's about to die. Why should his last words be that nonsense? What did they offer him or threaten him with to get him to do that?
I wonder the same. I don't want it to sound like I'm criticizing, but what was the incentive there?

He didn't just speak badly about America, he specifically addressed his family. He told his parents to not accept any money as compensation for his death. He told his brother, who is in the Air Force, basically "shame on you."

The one thing I will say, having watched the actual video, he was speaking very stiffly (word?). It didn't sound natural at all. While I was watching it, I was wondering if he was doing that on purpose. Or, understandably, maybe he was just terrified.

I don't know, maybe they told him he could read the script and die quickly, or he could not, and die slowly. Like I said, not judging the guy obviously, can't imagine what he went through, but I did wonder what the motivation was.

Sincere question: What will/can they do with it? I know there's lots of bad guys out there, but ISIS seems pretty isolated. And they have no need for air and naval hardware, of course; ground equipment'll just get blown up.
Money buys loyalty... Suicide bombers go for low 5 figures IIRC (don't quote me on that).

Flash a lot of money in Central America and you can likely buy some folks willing to sneak into the US and raise hell.

:shrug:

Maybe they told him it was just an act and that if he read it, he wouldn't be killed?
This is plausible, IMO. I'm sure they told him they'd record the thing and then return to wherever they were keeping him. I'm betting he didn't know he was about to die. Its easy to say what you'd do in that situation, but I'm pretty sure if I KNOW I'm about to die, I'm not reading anything, I'm not sitting still, and my last words are #### YOU, YOU MASKED, COWARDLY PIECE OF ####! UNTIE ME AND LETS SEE WHAT YOUVE GOT, #####! Or something to that effect. Bottom line, I'm not obeying the ##### that's about to cut my head off.

I wonder the same. I don't want it to sound like I'm criticizing, but what was the incentive there?

He didn't just speak badly about America, he specifically addressed his family. He told his parents to not accept any money as compensation for his death. He told his brother, who is in the Air Force, basically "shame on you."

The one thing I will say, having watched the actual video, he was speaking very stiffly (word?). It didn't sound natural at all. While I was watching it, I was wondering if he was doing that on purpose. Or, understandably, maybe he was just terrified.

I don't know, maybe they told him he could read the script and die quickly, or he could not, and die slowly. Like I said, not judging the guy obviously, can't imagine what he went through, but I did wonder what the motivation was.
I wondered that too. They had to have told him they'd do it as quick as possible or maybe that the lives of the other captives would be spared. I'm sure he saw what type of evil they are capable of this might have been better than the torture they put others through. I watched just until they put the knife to his throat and shut it off. I saw the Daniel Pearl vid and it took a long time to get that off my mind. Don't want to see that again.

Maybe they told him it was just an act and that if he read it, he wouldn't be killed?
This is plausible, IMO. I'm sure they told him they'd record the thing and then return to wherever they were keeping him. I'm betting he didn't know he was about to die. Its easy to say what you'd do in that situation, but I'm pretty sure if I KNOW I'm about to die, I'm not reading anything, I'm not sitting still, and my last words are #### YOU, YOU MASKED, COWARDLY PIECE OF ####! UNTIE ME AND LETS SEE WHAT YOUVE GOT, #####!Or something to that effect. Bottom line, I'm not obeying the ##### that's about to cut my head off.
Sure, and then they change plans and decide to slowly cut you to pieces over several weeks.

This is plausible, IMO. I'm sure they told him they'd record the thing and then return to wherever they were keeping him. I'm betting he didn't know he was about to die. Its easy to say what you'd do in that situation, but I'm pretty sure if I KNOW I'm about to die, I'm not reading anything, I'm not sitting still, and my last words are #### YOU, YOU MASKED, COWARDLY PIECE OF ####! UNTIE ME AND LETS SEE WHAT YOUVE GOT, #####!Or something to that effect. Bottom line, I'm not obeying the ##### that's about to cut my head off.
Sure, and then they change plans and decide to slowly cut you to pieces over several weeks.
Well its a hypothetical, I'd probably be crapping my pants and doing everything they told me to.That said, if I was the 2nd guy the killer showed to the camera after killing Foley, I think I'd try to find a way to kill myself and not give them the satisfaction...of course they probably take measures that make that impossible.

I wondered that too. They had to have told him they'd do it as quick as possible or maybe that the lives of the other captives would be spared. I'm sure he saw what type of evil they are capable of this might have been better than the torture they put others through. I watched just until they put the knife to his throat and shut it off. I saw the Daniel Pearl vid and it took a long time to get that off my mind. Don't want to see that again.
The video doesnt actually show it, it cuts out when hes about to do it and the next thing you see is a still of Foley after its done. I only watched after I learned this, no way would I want to see footage of an actual decapitation.

The video doesnt actually show it, it cuts out when hes about to do it and the next thing you see is a still of Foley after its done. I only watched after I learned this, no way would I want to see footage of an actual decapitation.
Yeah, I had heard after watching what I did, that they didn't actually show it. Odd that they didn't. Makes me think it was even worse than you could imagine, if that's possible.

A grad school friend of mine who I remain friends with on Facebook was Jim Foley's college roommate and close friend. Several of Foley's friends are paying tribute to him on Facebook, and because my friend is tagged in these posts and they're receiving so many likes and comments they are showing up in my newsfeed. Really sad stuff.
Here's a Foley remembrance posted last night:I remember the first day that my battalion told me I would be getting a journalist attached to my company in Afghanistan. I could only think, "oh brother, not only do I have to keep my guys in line, now I have to worry what they say around an embed 24/7." I never would have known that I would actually be meeting friend and someone that I would worry about for the next 5 years of my life.

Jim meant a lot to me. It can get lonely when you're in charge of very complex areas and even more complex people, there are few you could talk to. I always told myself that I would never trust a journalist and never confide in them, but there on a gator beneath countless stars in the Wardak sky I found myself expressing my pride, frustrations, and opinions. Jim had a way of putting you at ease, of gaining your trust. However, it was not his ability gain trust that impressed me, it was his impeccable ability to protect that trust and reward it.

He was a man who would tell the story of my company in Kunar and Wardak provinces, and I am forever thankful and indebted to him for that. I, and all of my men, saw him as one of our own, which is a very hard status to achieve in an Airborne Infantry Company.

Jim, I'm sorry we couldn't be there to stop this. I'm sorry I could never get that beer with you and catch up. Thank you, I'll think of you often, brother. Our world is much darker and more ignorant absent a messenger to tell the stories of the war-torn, woe-stricken, and oppressed.

I'll end this with a message he sent in our correspondence after his release from Libya. He knew who was praying him through, and he is waiting for us to join him one day.

"Hey brother, so great to hear from you. Sorry to scare the sh-t out of you guys. I thought about Able so many times on lock down, how I never would have got in that mess with a few dudes who knew how to operate a 240. Well, our risk assessment was bad on that day brother, and we lost a guy. It's been life changing, but prayers and so many friends and family not only got me out, but are getting me through. We got to have a longer conversation soon."

whats he supposed to do?
Like what?

lol

you guys are absolutely hilarious

whats he supposed to do?
Like what?

You mean like send in special forces as his military advisers suggested?

Can you see yourself for what you are yet? oops! :lmao:

I know that we're the United States and we're a devoloped nation, and we should lead by example, and blah blah blah...And I have always supported upholding that image.

That being said, how do we not bumrush these ####s, tear their limbs off, amd beat them to death with them? Spare me the political and financial logistics, because I'm just spouting off here.

I saw this morning that these ISIS militants sent emails to Foley's parents beforehand, essentially telling them that they would be killing their son and why. They're sick, demented individuals, and I'm beginning to think that the moral high ground can go to hell, and we should deal with these people in a sick and demented way.

I know that we're the United States and we're a devoloped nation, and we should lead by example, and blah blah blah...And I have always supported upholding that image.

That being said, how do we not bumrush these ####s, tear their limbs off, amd beat them to death with them? Spare me the political and financial logistics, because I'm just spouting off here.

I saw this morning that these ISIS militants sent emails to Foley's parents beforehand, essentially telling them that they would be killing their son and why. They're sick, demented individuals, and I'm beginning to think that the moral high ground can go to hell, and we should deal with these people in a sick and demented way.
you want to do all that because they killed one person?

I haven't read the thread. Is that sarcasm? My reply will be based on your answer.

Yes, they have only killed one person. They have not beheaded anyone else prior to this, nor have they waged a war based on terrorizing civilians.

I can generally empathize with bad guys, but these guys are off the chart evil. I do not believe that they truly believe in any cause other than their own power grab. #### them, and the horse (or pickup truck) they rode in on too.

Paying Ransoms, Europe Bankrolls Qaeda Terror

How long before someone does this here?
The family was trying to put the $ together. Gov't wasn't going to help. That's the way it is. Go over there and you life is in your own hands. You really have to have screws loose to go over there or be paid so much $ you can't pass it up. Not sure what dollar figure that would be knowing there is the chance that you get you head cut off with a rusty steak knife.

Yes, they have only killed one person. They have not beheaded anyone else prior to this, nor have they waged a war based on terrorizing civilians.

I can generally empathize with bad guys, but these guys are off the chart evil. I do not believe that they truly believe in any cause other than their own power grab. #### them, and the horse (or pickup truck) they rode in on too.
yeah that is awesome dude but we shouldnt get into the business of occupying countries because there are some really bad guys out there

no sarcasm
Like I said, just spouting off. It's one person today. They have at least one other American held hostage that we know of and possibly more. Also like I said, I realize that logistically, running in there does not make sense. But I'm angry and I want these #######s to pay in the worst imaginable way.

We need to capture a group of these ####s. Inject them with ebola and release them in the nest.

yeah that is awesome dude but we shouldnt get into the business of occupying countries because there are some really bad guys out there
Who said anything about occupying countries? These guys are running wild across two countries right now, and picking up supporters along the way. You want to keep them from spreading, you go in and decimate their ranks, and the new recruits will think a little harder before joining up.

Who said anything about occupying countries? These guys are running wild across two countries right now, and picking up supporters along the way. You want to keep them from spreading, you go in and decimate their ranks, and the new recruits will think a little harder before joining up.
I would have hoped that after 12 years of two wars, thousands of American deaths, and hundreds of billions of dollars, the one lesson we all would understand is that strategy doesn't work.

This is quickly becoming a global problem and will eventually need to be tackled as one. The US can't be the only bad guy here going after them. It actually could become a unifying mission if you can get countries like China, Russia, Pakistan and India among others involved. Obviously, it's not something that will happen any time soon but in 10-20 years it might have to happen. Unfortunately, it'll probably take something worse than 9/11 to bring it on.

no sarcasm
Like I said, just spouting off. It's one person today. They have at least one other American held hostage that we know of and possibly more. Also like I said, I realize that logistically, running in there does not make sense. But I'm angry and I want these #######s to pay in the worst imaginable way.
That entire region is a mess and these people arent going to stop until the entire world is praying to allah or you will be getting your head chopped off. That thought should please the "tolerant, athiest liberals" I would just wreck the entire region with nukes and let God sort it out. Unfortunately thats the only way you will get "peace" i believe.....

What is your guess as to the number of boots needed and how much will that cost?
Well we already did it once so we should have that handy.
It will never end... We go in there for another 7-10 years, eliminate ISIS and another group of ####os come in. It is a never ending cycle with no solution.
There is a solution but it's one for which most Americans these days are not prepared to commit. It's called total victory and unconditional surrender.

As with Pearl Harbor in World War II, it will probably take a surprise attack in the form a nuclear device leveling a major city or two in the United States to bring people to that level of outrage. We're much too fat, dumb, and happy in our political correctness to fight what is essentially a multi-generational clash of civilizations without a devastating wake up call.

What is your guess as to the number of boots needed and how much will that cost?
Well we already did it once so we should have that handy.
It will never end... We go in there for another 7-10 years, eliminate ISIS and another group of ####os come in. It is a never ending cycle with no solution.
There is a solution but it's one for which most Americans these days are not prepared to commit. It's called total victory and unconditional surrender.

As with Pearl Harbor in World War II, it will probably take a surprise attack in the form a nuclear device leveling a major city or two in the United States to bring people to that level of outrage. We're much too fat, dumb, and happy in our political correctness to fight what is essentially a multi-generational clash of civilizations without a devastating wake up call.
What city are you going to bomb to eliminate religious extremism?

Users who are viewing this thread