What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US journalist James Foley beheaded by ISIS (2 Viewers)

In the video, before he was beheaded, he read from a script about how evil America is and stuff.

That seems kind of weird. He knows he's about to die. Why should his last words be that nonsense? What did they offer him or threaten him with to get him to do that?
There's a very good chance that by the time he was killed, he was begging to die. There's also a good chance that they threatened his family. I'm sure they alleged to him that they had people in the United States capable of finding them.
Way too hard to know, but I would not be surprised if he has had to make these videos several times before - none resulting in his death, but perhaps a beating for non-compliance - sort of conditioning him to a form of torture so that when the end came he really did not know it was coming until it was too late.
Good point. That would make sense.

Sounds like they want money for another hostage they have.

ISIL Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman

Shirley Li
ISIL has identified a third American hostage, a 26-year-old American woman who had been doing humanitarian relief work in Syria before being kidnapped a year ago, ABC News has reported. In exchange for her life, the group is demanding $6.6 million and the release of U.S. prisoners.

The woman, who had been working in a hospital in Aleppo, is the third of at least four Americans known to be held by the terror group. She was identified by her family, though the family requested not to release her name. The other known Americans include journalists Steven Sotloff and the late James Foley.

In addition to the multi-million dollar ransom, but ISIL asked for the U.S. release Aafia Siddiqui, a neuroscientist who in 2010 was convicted of trying to kill U.S. officials. Siddiqui's family has released a statement condemning ISIL's violent demands (using "ISIS," the group's alternate name):

If the issue is true, we would like to state that our family does not have any connections to such groups or actions... We believe in a struggle that is peaceful and dignified. Associating Aafia's name with acts of violence is against everything we are struggling for.

While we deeply appreciate the sincere feelings of those who, like us, wish to see the freedom of our beloved Aafia, we cannot agree with a 'by any means necessary' approach to Aafia's freedom. Nor can we accept that someone else's daughter or sister suffer like Aafia is suffering.

Mauri Saalakhan of the Peace and Justice Foundation held a press conference Monday and spoke on behalf of the Siddiqui family. Saalakhan stated the following:

The most important message that I could convey to ISIS or whoever it is that’s holding these innocent people captive abroad is that at the end of the day, this type of approach in response to an injustice that you feel, is not only not the inappropriate way to go, but, properly understood, it is a violation of the tenets of the faith that we claim to believe in,” he said. “We just have to do the right thing because it is the right thing, without any strings attached.. And the right thing would be to let this young woman go back to her family, go back to her life. And the right thing for America to do, for our government… would be to do the same with Dr. Aafia Siddiqui.

Meanwhile, authorities are still working to identify the man in the video of Foley's execution. The U.S. military has continued to bomb against ISIS in Iraq, and President Obama has approved surveillance strikes over Syria, reported The New York Times.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/08/isil-demands-66m-ransom-for-26-year-old-american-woman/379164/

This just in: MI5 says British rappah killed James Foley

A suspect in the beheading of American journalist James Foley is a British-raised rapper who left his parent’s million-dollar London home last year to fight for radical Islam in Syria.

Homegrown jihadist Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a 23-year-old rapper, may be the masked man who severed Foley’s head with a knife in a YouTube video in retaliation for U.S. airstrikes on ISIS in Iraq, according to reports in several British papers.

Bary left his family’s $1-million-plus home west of London last year to fight with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and once posted a Twitter photo of himself holding a severed head.

“The MI5 (British intelligence agency) investigation into the man behind James Foley’s murder is ongoing, but they have managed to identify the masked British jihadist who can be seen in the video holding a knife to his throat,” a police intelligence source told The Sunday Times of London.

The British ambassador to the United States, Peter Westmacott, said investigators aren’t ready to name Bary as the killer, but are getting “close” to identifying the killer, he said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Bary is one of six children of Adel Abdul Bary, an Egyptian militant who is facing terrorism charges in connection with Al Qaeda’s twin 1998 bombings at the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 224 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they want money for another hostage they have.

ISIL Demands $6.6M Ransom for 26-Year-Old American Woman

Shirley Li
ISIL has identified a third American hostage, a 26-year-old American woman who had been doing humanitarian relief work in Syria before being kidnapped a year ago, ABC News has reported. In exchange for her life, the group is demanding $6.6 million and the release of U.S. prisoners.

The woman, who had been working in a hospital in Aleppo, is the third of at least four Americans known to be held by the terror group. She was identified by her family, though the family requested not to release her name. The other known Americans include journalists Steven Sotloff and the late James Foley.

In addition to the multi-million dollar ransom, but ISIL asked for the U.S. release Aafia Siddiqui, a neuroscientist who in 2010 was convicted of trying to kill U.S. officials. Siddiqui's family has released a statement condemning ISIL's violent demands (using "ISIS," the group's alternate name):

If the issue is true, we would like to state that our family does not have any connections to such groups or actions... We believe in a struggle that is peaceful and dignified. Associating Aafia's name with acts of violence is against everything we are struggling for.
While we deeply appreciate the sincere feelings of those who, like us, wish to see the freedom of our beloved Aafia, we cannot agree with a 'by any means necessary' approach to Aafia's freedom. Nor can we accept that someone else's daughter or sister suffer like Aafia is suffering.
Mauri Saalakhan of the Peace and Justice Foundation held a press conference Monday and spoke on behalf of the Siddiqui family. Saalakhan stated the following:

The most important message that I could convey to ISIS or whoever it is that’s holding these innocent people captive abroad is that at the end of the day, this type of approach in response to an injustice that you feel, is not only not the inappropriate way to go, but, properly understood, it is a violation of the tenets of the faith that we claim to believe in,” he said. “We just have to do the right thing because it is the right thing, without any strings attached.. And the right thing would be to let this young woman go back to her family, go back to her life. And the right thing for America to do, for our government… would be to do the same with Dr. Aafia Siddiqui.
Meanwhile, authorities are still working to identify the man in the video of Foley's execution. The U.S. military has continued to bomb against ISIS in Iraq, and President Obama has approved surveillance strikes over Syria, reported The New York Times.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/08/isil-demands-66m-ransom-for-26-year-old-american-woman/379164/
They must be taking a page from the Mexican drug cartels hostage bible.

johnnycakes said:
This just in: MI5 says British rappah killed James Foley

A suspect in the beheading of American journalist James Foley is a British-raised rapper who left his parent’s million-dollar London home last year to fight for radical Islam in Syria.
Well, we knew he was a moron. Cushy million dollar home or smelling like #### with black pajamas in the middle of a desert. Tough call there.

"Give me the pride and the honour like my father. I swear the day they came and took my dad, I could have killed a cop or two and I wouldn't look back," raps Bary, who uses the names L Jinny or Lyricist Jinn.

"Imagine back then I was only six, just picture what I'd do now with a loaded stick. Like boom bang fine, I'd be wishing you were dead. Violate my brothers and I'm filling you with lead."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/how-london-rapper-l-jinny-became-jihadi-john-suspected-of-beheading-james-foley-20140825-107zdz.html#ixzz3BhubyZNW

I'm losing my mind. I have tried to accept Obama as my President and not bad mouth the guy especially to younger folks who you want to respect the Office of the President but I'm really worried about a sitting President that would publicly say he doesn't have a plan. And I believe him. So since he doesn't have a plan and can't seem to stomach what is needed to do the job, perhaps he should step down. Let someone else with a plan, preferably the military generals. These #######s want to fight us more than anything on the planet right now. They are rubbing our nose in it all over the internet.

I'm sure we're hurting them with the air campaign but this is not gonna work long term. Unfortunately the failures of Bush, Cheney, and the GOP years ago is clouding what needs to be done here. Obama needs to call on Europe and as many other countries as they can and together with us doing the heavy lifting, go in and eradicate these ####s.

I'm losing my mind. I have tried to accept Obama as my President and not bad mouth the guy especially to younger folks who you want to respect the Office of the President but I'm really worried about a sitting President that would publicly say he doesn't have a plan. And I believe him. So since he doesn't have a plan and can't seem to stomach what is needed to do the job, perhaps he should step down. Let someone else with a plan, preferably the military generals. These #######s want to fight us more than anything on the planet right now. They are rubbing our nose in it all over the internet.

I'm sure we're hurting them with the air campaign but this is not gonna work long term. Unfortunately the failures of Bush, Cheney, and the GOP years ago is clouding what needs to be done here. Obama needs to call on Europe and as many other countries as they can and together with us doing the heavy lifting, go in and eradicate these ####s.
That's exactly what he's doing.

“Rooting out a cancer like ISIL won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick,” Mr. Obama said in a speech on Tuesday to the American Legion in Charlotte, N.C., using an alternative name for ISIS. He said that the United States was building a coalition to “take the fight to these barbaric terrorists,” and that the militants would be “no match” for a united international community.

Former state department Middle East analyst Aaron David Miller said the Obama administration appeared to have accepted Assad was going to survive in Syria, even as it considered providing military help to moderate opponents of his regime.

Writing in Foreign Policy magazine, he saids: "The battlefield will be expanded; air strikes in Syria will happen. Does it all lack for strategy? Is it a prescription for mission creep? Yes and yes. But blowing up a bunch of very bad people feels good. And whether you approve or not, it's coming."

That's exactly what he's doing.

“Rooting out a cancer like ISIL won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick,” Mr. Obama said in a speech on Tuesday to the American Legion in Charlotte, N.C., using an alternative name for ISIS. He said that the United States was building a coalition to “take the fight to these barbaric terrorists,” and that the militants would be “no match” for a united international community.
Well O.K. then, let's roll.

I'm totally confident that the next outside military action in the region will succeed in stabilizing the region and rooting out extremism, what with the track record of the last few thousand years worth.

Mr. Non. What do you suggest the president should do?
Exactly what I said, should be countries from around the globe lining up to take part. We'll do the heavy lifting, air campaigns from several European countries, share the cost, we'll send in ground forces and it has to be done, sorry. But a heavy air campaign and a slow methodical attack from all 4 sides and close them in, suffocate them and eradicate them, we don't need to house any more foreign prisoners for 10-12 years.

Obama killed the most wanted man ever, this should be a no brainer and its painful to watch him lately. I also think the media here has done one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen for in depth coverage and what's at stake. I believe ISIS when they say they have the pieces in place here already. There is no doubt in my mind that terrorist cells exist here in the United States awaiting the signal to do something far worse than 9/11. That was the benchmark so taking down a movie theater is of no interest to them. They want to cripple us if at all possible, make the people here live in a state of terror. These people want to take out an entire city and they'll never stop trying.

I'm sorry Officer, I must have toked out, that could probably never happen.

Exactly what I said, should be countries from around the globe lining up to take part. We'll do the heavy lifting, air campaigns from several European countries, share the cost, we'll send in ground forces and it has to be done, sorry. But a heavy air campaign and a slow methodical attack from all 4 sides and close them in, suffocate them and eradicate them, we don't need to house any more foreign prisoners for 10-12 years.

Obama killed the most wanted man ever, this should be a no brainer and its painful to watch him lately. I also think the media here has done one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen for in depth coverage and what's at stake. I believe ISIS when they say they have the pieces in place here already. There is no doubt in my mind that terrorist cells exist here in the United States awaiting the signal to do something far worse than 9/11. That was the benchmark so taking down a movie theater is of no interest to them. They want to cripple us if at all possible, make the people here live in a state of terror. These people want to take out an entire city and they'll never stop trying.

:shrug: I really wanted to know.

I'm totally confident that the next outside military action in the region will succeed in stabilizing the region and rooting out extremism, what with the track record of the last few thousand years worth.
We seem to be able to keep the peace with military bases in most regions. We have little to nothing set up in Syria and that place runs amok with terrorists. You think it's a good idea to just leave them there to perhaps topple the country and expand their network? Leaving them alone has brought about the problems we have now. I can point to plenty in the last few thousand years that shows what happens when people start having apathy as a nation and its not good.

But you're right, the ME has a terrible track record of any outside country doing much good.

:shrug: I really wanted to know.
I was kidding you about kidding you

Mr Non Sequitur said:
Arsenal of Doom said:
We seem to be able to keep the peace with military bases in most regions. We have little to nothing set up in Syria and that place runs amok with terrorists. You think it's a good idea to just leave them there to perhaps topple the country and expand their network? Leaving them alone has brought about the problems we have now. I can point to plenty in the last few thousand years that shows what happens when people start having apathy as a nation and its not good.

But you're right, the ME has a terrible track record of any outside country doing much good.
I think it helps to start by reframing ISIS, Al Queda, theTaliban, etc. as what they fundamentally are - gangs. The Middle East variety has a different flavor than our North and South American drug cartels, or the tribal warlords in Africa but it's really the same thing wrapped in varying ideological packaging. So I think it oversimplifies things to say we can keep the peace just by having a military base in the region. Mexico couldn't be more in our region and is teeming with violence and corruption of governance with gang influence. We're hardly even immune here in the U.S.. In the Middle East the gangs are pushing religious ideology, at least that the propaganda they'd like people to believe. It's really all about money and power no matter where you look. Long term the only solution to the problems of the Middle East has to come through local governance, supported by broad-based economic opportunity and a strong middle class system that demands a strong, organized and consistent response to these groups.

We also just spent over a decade in Iraq, directly spending around 2 Trillion dollars and the actual cost to our economy has been estimated at over 5 Trillion. So I don't think the region has been ignored. Should we stay for another decade? Two? Spend another few Trillion to cosmetically police problem we can't solve?

Arsenal of Doom said:
Kind of get why God went with the whole flood thing - kill 'em all, and start over.

Mr Non Sequitur said:
Arsenal of Doom said:

I think it helps to start by reframing ISIS, Al Queda, theTaliban, etc. as what they fundamentally are - gangs. The Middle East variety has a different flavor than our North and South American drug cartels, or the tribal warlords in Africa but it's really the same thing wrapped in varying ideological packaging. So I think it oversimplifies things to say we can keep the peace just by having a military base in the region. Mexico couldn't be more in our region and is teeming with violence and corruption of governance with gang influence. We're hardly even immune here in the U.S.. In the Middle East the gangs are pushing religious ideology, at least that the propaganda they'd like people to believe. It's really all about money and power no matter where you look. Long term the only solution to the problems of the Middle East has to come through local governance, supported by broad-based economic opportunity and a strong middle class system that demands a strong, organized and consistent response to these groups.

We also just spent over a decade in Iraq, directly spending around 2 Trillion dollars and the actual cost to our economy has been estimated at over 5 Trillion. So I don't think the region has been ignored. Should we stay for another decade? Two? Spend another few Trillion to cosmetically police problem we can't solve?
Most gangs don't want to detonate nuclear devices in NYC.

Mr Non Sequitur said:
Arsenal of Doom said:

Most gangs don't want to detonate nuclear devices in NYC.
So how much did the 2 Trillion in direct military spend in the region over the last decade-plus reduce the probability of that happening?

Mr Non Sequitur said:
Maybe we could just make this the official ISIS thread. I don't want to dishonor James Foley but there has been a warning issued by the Feds, good timing going into Labor Day weekend but it only backs up many concerns about this group being here or knocking on the door already.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/29/feds-issue-bulletin-on-imminent-terror-attack-at-u/

Feds issue bulletin on ‘imminent’ attack at U.S. border; Islamic State in Mexico
Have any of these 'imminent attacks' actually become an attack?

Mr Non Sequitur said:
Maybe we could just make this the official ISIS thread. I don't want to dishonor James Foley but there has been a warning issued by the Feds, good timing going into Labor Day weekend but it only backs up many concerns about this group being here or knocking on the door already.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/29/feds-issue-bulletin-on-imminent-terror-attack-at-u/

Feds issue bulletin on ‘imminent’ attack at U.S. border; Islamic State in Mexico
Thankfully not yet but why takes chances with these barbarians? Rome thought they would never fall, greatest army, helped design the basis for what we use as a modern day system of government, they all come to an end at some point. Rome is recognized as building great roads or perhaps the first system of connecting roads to travel about and those roads eventually would lead to their doom. It was an easy path for the enemy to penetrate them. That Mexican border seems like a real problem right now, it's mind boggling we don't have a better grip on it.

Mr Non Sequitur said:

Thankfully not yet but why takes chances with these barbarians? Rome thought they would never fall, greatest army, helped design the basis for what we use as a modern day system of government, they all come to an end at some point. Rome is recognized as building great roads or perhaps the first system of connecting roads to travel about and those roads eventually would lead to their doom. It was an easy path for the enemy to penetrate them. That Mexican border seems like a real problem right now, it's mind boggling we don't have a better grip on it.
Borders to exploit/avoid?

I was just reading that ISIS has an estimated 30,000-50,000 fighters. That isn't a large number. A joint military blitz could squash them in a few months.

Mr Non Sequitur said:

I clicked on that link and there was no bulletin.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/world/islamic-state-militants-gang-raping-selling-hundreds-women-report-article-1.1921553

Wow.

Islamic State fighters in Iraq are reportedly reserving a special kind of cruelty for women from minority religions.

The militants are keeping hundreds of Yazidi, Christian, and Turkoman women in Mosul’s Badush prison, gang-raping some and selling others as brides for as low as $25, The Daily Beast reports.

They’re even forcing local beauticians to come into the prison to dress the women up with makeup. Survivors said that many of those held in the prison were teenagers, some as young as 14.

The women are given a choice: They can convert to the militant’s violent interpretation of Islam or face daily rape. Those who convert are reportedly sold off like cattle to Islamic State fighters and ordered to be submissive, women’s rights advocates in the region report. Their selling price ranges from $25 to $150.

One mother of a captive woman said her daughter managed to hide a cell phone in the prison and has been describing horrific tales of being raped by dozens of men over a few hours.

Other women said that children born out of rape have been ripped from their mothers’ arms, and never seen again.

U.N. officials in Iraq have suggested that some 1,500 people from religious minorities may have been forced into sexual slavery.

Pakhshan Zangana, a women’s rights advocate in the region, has been seeking private donations to try and buy the captured women back from the militants.

“We have women and families calling in every day, the situation is getting desperate,” said Zangana. “It’s sick.”

The Islamic State, formerly known as ISIS and ISIL, have been spreading their reign of terror and extremist interpretation of Islam throughout large swaths of Iraq for the past year. The Yazidi people have been prime targets because of their religious beliefs, which IS fighters interpret as devil worship. Yazidi traditions are an ancient blend of Islam, Christianity, and Persian Zoroastrianism, one that doesn’t believe in the concept of hell.

The Yazidis have been careful to marry within their own communities for centuries — which means the rapes are breaking their bloodline. One mother told the Kurdish news organization Rudaw that her three daughters committed suicide by jumping off a cliff after they were raped by Islamic State militants.

The mother of five victims expressed fear after the cellphone her daughter had smuggled into the prison stopped working.

“We don’t want food or money, we just want our daughters back,” the mother said.

Mr Non Sequitur said:

Feds issue bulletin on imminent attack at U.S. border; Islamic State in Mexico
Seems like an irresponsible and dangerous mindset.

For you guys that say the only reason we are in Iraq and the only reason we are staying is oil, how much oil have we gotten? Im just curious.

Ill hang up and listen. Be careful with your answer.

Probably should take that link out Scruff. That is too messed up.
Agree, that is just awful... I was never for a war in Iraq, but these ####ers need to be stopped. If their numbers are only between 30,000-50,000 it won't be too difficult. I think it will be an easier campaign than the previous one bc most others in the region want ISIS out too, so they'll be more receptive. I also think each and everyISIS fighter should be severely tortured before being killed.

you people calling for us to invade and attack isis are just dogs chasing your tails.
Yeah, we should just let them keep cutting children's heads off..
no worse than whats going on in many african countries. other atrocities continually happen in asia and s america.i have bad news for you, the world is a pretty ####ty place and there is nothing we can do about it. and blowing up peoples families and towns certainly dont help. in fact it makes it worse.

NSFW These people all need to die. this is disgusting beyond belief. crucifying and beheading christian children publically.

This is a very tough link to view. just a warning.

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481
I just ####### threw up. Time for an eye for an eye against these ####### monsters. They arent ####### human. Obama, if you are listening, wipe them the #### out!!!!
Yup, wipe off the ####### planet. Damn animals.

you people calling for us to invade and attack isis are just dogs chasing your tails.
no worse than whats going on in many african countries. other atrocities continually happen in asia and s america.i have bad news for you, the world is a pretty ####ty place and there is nothing we can do about it. and blowing up peoples families and towns certainly dont help. in fact it makes it worse.
People like you make me sick. We can go there and stop these bugs. This isnt a bombing mission, this is a go door to door and find these ####s and kill them. And Im sure there are many in our military that would be more than willing. And just because other atrocities happen around the world, we shouldnt fight the ones we can? No sir.

People like you make me sick. We can go there and stop these bugs. This isnt a bombing mission, this is a go door to door and find these ####s and kill them. And Im sure there are many in our military that would be more than willing. And just because other atrocities happen around the world, we shouldnt fight the ones we can? No sir.
i never knew it was that simple. lets do it. we should have all of the worlds problems fixed by christmas.i will start making the "mission accomplished" sign.

i never knew it was that simple. lets do it. we should have all of the worlds problems fixed by christmas.i will start making the "mission accomplished" sign.
As many as we can fix, one at a time if necessary. Coward.

step 1: invade iraq (again)

step 2: knock on doors looking for isis (who doesnt like foreign soldiers knocking on your door and searching your house)

step 3: ???

step 4: freedom (until they vote for someone we dont like then we go back to step 1)

Users who are viewing this thread