Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
hotboyz

Who is Allen Hurns?

Updating a previous item, free agent Allen Hurns will visit the Cowboys on Wednesday due to the heavy snow in the New York-New Jersey area, pushing back his visit with the Jets.

Hurns has allegedly drawn interest from 10-plus teams and appears likely to make multiple visits. He'll visit the Jets after the Cowboys. In Dallas, Hurns could be an upgrade over Terrance Williams on the outside, though Williams' $3.5 million salary is guaranteed, or he could push Cole Beasley out of the slot with Beasley in the final year of his deal and coming off a down season.

Related: Cowboys, Jets

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 20 - 9:12 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cowboys, Jets, Ravens, and Browns are all "vying" for free agent Allen Hurns.

Hurns met with the Cowboys on Wednesday, and he is also scheduled to speak with the Jets. Based on this report, it would not be surprising to see him travel to Baltimore and Cleveland as well before he makes his final decision. Hurns caught 39 passes for 484 yards and two scores in 10 games with the Jaguars last season.

Related: Jets, Ravens, Browns, Cowboys

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 22 - 8:56 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_are_interestd_in_wr_all.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are in the hunt for former Jaguars receiver Allen Hurns, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com.

...The Jaguars released Hurns this week, after they signed receiver Donte Montcrief to a one-year free agent deal worth about $9.6 million.

Hurns (6-3, 201), had a breakout season in 2015 with 1,031 yards and 10 TDs, but missed 11 games over the past two seasons and was limited to 961 yards and five TDs combined.

I imagine that has to mean one of T WIlliams or Beasley has to be traded or cut. Or maybe even Dez?

Edited by Bankerguy

This is an upgraded situation for Hurns.  Dak is better than Bortles and his position in the offense will be clearer.  Hurns has talent when he is healthy.

• Like 1

Rotoworld take:

Cowboys signed WR Allen Hurns, formerly of the Jaguars, to a two-year contract.

ESPN's Josina Anderson first reported that Hurns told her he's "going to sign with Dallas". Hurns is an immediate upgrade to a Cowboys receiving group that's desperate for depth. Terrance Williams' $3.5 million salary is guaranteed but Hurns could challenge him as starter opposite of Dez Bryant from the moment camp opens. Hurns also led Jacksonville in routes run from the slot last season and could immediately trump Cole Beasley, who's entering the final year of his deal. The Cowboys are in dire need of another playmaker after they inexplicably cut bait on Brice Butler and his average 21.1 yards per catch last season.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 23 - 12:54 PM

4 hours ago, az_prof said:

This is an upgraded situation for Hurns.  Dak is better than Bortles and his position in the offense will be clearer.  Hurns has talent when he is healthy.

Big time upgrade. I think Hurns is a sleeper to be the best WR addition in free agency. He's just got to stay healthy. Dallas has needed a WR opposite Dez, since Miles Austin fell off. That was what, 5 years ago?

Not sure I get why everyone thinks this is such a huge upgrade.  Dallas threw for fewer yards/TDs the last two years than Bortles has in any season since his rookie year.  Jags have had multiple WR1/WR2 fantasy seasons the last few years whereas the best Dallas has squeaked out in the last three years is one WR3 season out of their WR1, which Hurns will not be.

Even if Dez got cut today, what exactly is the upside here.  A poor man's Dez Bryant (who was a mid WR3) in this offense is what, a WR4?

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Not sure I get why everyone thinks this is such a huge upgrade.  Dallas threw for fewer yards/TDs the last two years than Bortles has in any season since his rookie year.  Jags have had multiple WR1/WR2 fantasy seasons the last few years whereas the best Dallas has squeaked out in the last three years is one WR3 season out of their WR1, which Hurns will not be.

Even if Dez got cut today, what exactly is the upside here.  A poor man's Dez Bryant (who was a mid WR3) in this offense is what, a WR4?

I think many of us see Dallas as an offense on the rise and think Dak is a player who can be special whereas Bortles is not very good despite large volume. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, az_prof said:

I think many of us see Dallas as an offense on the rise and think Dak is a player who can be special whereas Bortles is not very good despite large volume. 

Think Hurns is a garden variety, mid level 2nd wide out. An upgrade from Williams, though. Don’t see this add as particularly significant.

I think this would suggest that he will likely be the #2 WR in Dallas and Williams has never impressed me.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams is recovering from a broken foot that required surgery, per @toddarcher.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:36 AM, squistion said:

I think this would suggest that he will likely be the #2 WR in Dallas and Williams has never impressed me.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams is recovering from a broken foot that required surgery, per @toddarcher.

With Dez gone now, does this make Hurns a WR1 in that offense? No doubt they will draft someone on first or second day but how many of this year's rookies can step and be a featured receiver as a rookie?

Edited by az_prof

6 minutes ago, az_prof said:

With Dez gone now, does this make Hurns a WR1 in that offense? No doubt they will draft someone on first or second day but how many of this year's rookies can step and be a featured receiver as a rookie?

Looks like it to me, at least in the foreseeable short term future.There is much out there left in free agency, perhaps with the exception of Eric Decker (and I don't know how much he still has in the tank). Beasley and Witten can pick up some of the slack, but I think Hurns will be the de facto #1 or #2 until whatever rookie they sign can master the offense (which can be done, but is a rather tall order).

Funny how things can change in a short period of time. I own Hurns in 3 leagues and couldn't give him away last year or this one either before he signed with Dallas. Already have gotten some offers today and expect some more.

• Like 1

where would you guys draft him compared to the rookies?

1.    1.01    Moore, D.J. CAR WR
2.    1.02    Ridley, Calvin ATL WR    
3.    1.03    Kirk, Christian ARI WR    
4.    1.04    Sutton, Courtland DEN WR    
5.    1.05    Gallup, Michael DAL WR    
6.    1.06    Miller, Anthony CHI WR    
7.    1.07    Pettis, Dante SFO WR    
8.    1.08    Washington, James PIT WR

2 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

After everyone on this list except Pettis.

Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports Allen Hurns was the team's "clear-cut" No. 1 receiver throughout spring practices.

As expected. Hurns inked a two-year, $12 million pact after his release from Jacksonville, and the Cowboys then released Dez Bryant while failing to re-sign Brice Butler. It leaves Hurns as the default top wideout, followed by Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, and rookie Michael Gallup in whichever order. In an offense that figures to lean on Ezekiel Elliott as much as Elliott's body will allow, maybe only one of these receivers will provide steady fantasy value.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/376895/Allen-Hurns-is-Cowboys'-'clear-cut'-No.-1-WR

On 5/29/2018 at 0:35 PM, grateful zed said:

In Redraft, I would rank him above all of these guys.  The odds that any of them will have a rookie season that is better than Hurns is slim and I doubt more than one of them does.  

In Dynasty, I would put him after Courtland Sutton, but I am not a big believer in Michael Gallup; I do like Anthony Miller but he is going to be second fiddle there and has an unproven QB; Pettis is intriguing but small--guys that small usually do not become longterm, reliable stars.  I like James Washington better than Pettis and Gallup because he has better size and had three years of great production in a big time conference and landed in a good situation in Pittsburgh.  I might prefer Washington to Hurns in Dynasty.

Why?   Does he have an axe to grind with Jax? I don’t think I’d ever start him.   Especially this week given his recent throwing management under the bus. And Dak is still the one throwing the ball.  Too murky for me.  

But kudos to you if you nail this one.  

12 hours ago, zed2283 said:

Does this guy have any dynasty value?

He would on a different team.  Put him on Cleveland and he’d be a WR2/WR3.  I can’t believe I just typed that. 

Allen Hurns (ankle) was carted off the field in Saturday's Wild Card game against the Seahawks.

Hurns had tears in his eyes as he was carted off in the first quarter following a gruesome injury that involved his ankle turning completely around. Hurns ultimately hasn't been used much since Dallas brought on Amari Cooper at the deadline, seeing a mere eight targets (less than one per game) since the 24-year-old joined the team in Week 9. Hurns will return to Dallas as receiving depth on the final year of his contract in 2019 since Cole Beasley will likely be long gone via free agency.

Jan 5 - 8:46 PM