What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Allen Hurns? (1 Viewer)

hotboyz

Footballguy
Who is this kid!! Every week I watch this kid and he keeps making plays. Not only is he makin plays he is doing it vs starters! I don't wanna exaggerate this but this situation has a Anquan Boldin feel to it when he burst into scene his rookie yr. So is this kid just a flash in the pan pre season star or is there something here??

Former Hurricane. Was one of our best WR's....Sure handed. I could not belive he went undrafted.

He set Miami's all time single season receiving record. With all the great receivers they have had there, think about that. And Fisch the OC was his OC in college.

Is there actually a chance Hurns starts over Lee or Shorts?

Former Hurricane. Was one of our best WR's....Sure handed. I could not belive he went undrafted.
I was surprised he didn't get drafted as well. Still, I thought he might be a round 6 or 7 flyer. He's looking really good thus far. Good enough to start or win the WR3 spot IMO.

He's put up those numbers versus #1's. The guy is just open all the time. I believe at this point he will see significant playing time in the regular season. All of the sudden, there are many options at WR.

He's put up those numbers versus #1's. The guy is just open all the time. I believe at this point he will see significant playing time in the regular season. All of the sudden, there are many options at WR.
If everyone is healthy, would you say he's 4th behind Shorts/Lee/Robinson? Ahead of anyone? Does he play all the WR positions?

If everyone is healthy, would you say he's 4th behind Shorts/Lee/Robinson? Ahead of anyone? Does he play all the WR positions?
It's safe to put him above Robinson, as he's missed the entire preseason. Robinson's injury has allowed Hurns to get more individual work with Jerry Sullivan and he's taken full advantage. He can play all positions and knows Fisch's offense well, but is best suited outside. I'd say comparing Hurns and Lee is an apples and oranges comparison. I think the question here is how this impacts Shorts' playing time. Shorts is good at the go routes, but to me, Hurns runs crisp routes and finds way to consistently get open, despite not having top end speed. I've never been able to say that about Shorts.

Rewatching the game this morning and he does look good. I would caution that he's been more mixed in with the 1s in three wide sets and sub packages, but he was always open and is a big kid. Looks significantly bigger than any of their other WRs.

In the first and second quarters it was pretty clear that Shorts and Lee were the starters in base offense. Brown was on the field quite a bit as well, but didn't really do anything, IMO.

To my untrained eyes, Hurns looked like easily a top 3 WR on that squad and probably is pushing for top 2. He caught everything, including a tough over-the-shoulder from Bortles. He doesn't look twitchy, just ultra smooth and he's always open and can high point the football. I also saw him box out a defender on a short stop route and make the catch.

Interested to see where this goes.

Rewatching the game this morning and he does look good. I would caution that he's been more mixed in with the 1s in three wide sets and sub packages, but he was always open and is a big kid. Looks significantly bigger than any of their other WRs.

In the first and second quarters it was pretty clear that Shorts and Lee were the starters in base offense. Brown was on the field quite a bit as well, but didn't really do anything, IMO.

To my untrained eyes, Hurns looked like easily a top 3 WR on that squad and probably is pushing for top 2. He caught everything, including a tough over-the-shoulder from Bortles. He doesn't look twitchy, just ultra smooth and he's always open and can high point the football. I also saw him box out a defender on a short stop route and make the catch.

Interested to see where this goes.
:goodposting:

brohans i added him to my team of doom and destruction because one i like having a player from the classiest and storied team in the nfl on my squad and two i think that he is going to be a burner out of the ninth dimension who will catch the ball all over the place and also be a postive influence in the locker room of both his team and also many others i just have a feeling about this guy and i am not afraid to say that right here right now on this post so bam there i just said it take that to the bank brohans and may the force be with you this year

I was put onto this guy when someone in my league drafted him as a Mr. Irrelevant in my 10team 30man roster. Had no idea who he was and I made a list of 50+ people.

I like what I've seen through the pre-season and from watching some quick highlight vids. With all the injuries from Lee/Robinson have been dealing with I have no doubt that Hurns will start in 3WR sets at the minimum and might end up being the #2. There's usually someone who comes out of nowhere and unseats a guy who was drafted multiple rounds ahead of him and this could be that situation, not saying it will happen but food for thought.

Amazes me every preseason how guys like this aren't even on the radar in the FF world.

This is a true sleeper.

I'm not buying it. He is fourth on the depth chart and will remain there until Shorts is gone. End of story. There are preseason heros every year who don't amount ot squat during the regular season. Maybe he is different. But the fact that he was passed up 224 times is telling.

I'm not buying it. He is fourth on the depth chart and will remain there until Shorts is gone. End of story. There are preseason heros every year who don't amount ot squat during the regular season. Maybe he is different. But the fact that he was passed up 224 times is telling.
Yeah, he isn't likely to do anything this year. He is a dynasty guy only. In redraft, it's just a name to file away.

Occasionally an UFA comes out of the blue. What makes you so confident Hurns won't join that group?

Jacksonville seems like the perfect place for an out-of-nowhere receiver to do well, with only one other established receiver on the roster. It looks like Hurns will at least get an opportunity to show case his ability in a real game. I won't say I will add him in my every league, but I will keep an eye on him.

Lee and Robinson have far too much promise to be jumped this soon by the hero of camp. That said, they may now let Shorts walk after the season and open the door for him to settle in as the #3 of a potentially pretty potent passing offense.

Occasionally an UFA comes out of the blue. What makes you so confident Hurns won't join that group?

Jacksonville seems like the perfect place for an out-of-nowhere receiver to do well, with only one other established receiver on the roster. It looks like Hurns will at least get an opportunity to show case his ability in a real game. I won't say I will add him in my every league, but I will keep an eye on him.
I dont see how Jax can justify placing Robinson over Hurns on the depth chart at this point. Saying this story is over is very shortsighted. Maybe he is still 4th on the depth chart but it's possible he could jump to 2nd IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont see how Jax can justify placing Robinson over Hurns on the depth chart at this point. Saying this story is over is very shortsighted. Maybe he is still 4th on the depth chart but it's possible he could jump to 2nd IMO.
I didn't suggest this story is over. I think the situation has a lot of fluidity.

Robinson has the second round selection going for him; but while he sits in the tub, Hurns has done well on the field. It has occurred in the past that a lower pick passes the higher pick on the depth chart with the aide of injury. Jacksonville could easily justify starting Hurns over Robinson because the former has played well while the latter has hardly got on the field.

Again, I'll add there's a lot of fluidity here; we have to accept a wide range of possible outcomes.

I didn't suggest this story is over. I think the situation has a lot of fluidity.

Robinson has the second round selection going for him; but while he sits in the tub, Hurns has done well on the field. It has occurred in the past that a lower pick passes the higher pick on the depth chart with the aide of injury. Jacksonville could easily justify starting Hurns over Robinson because the former has played well while the latter has hardly got on the field.

Again, I'll add there's a lot of fluidity here; we have to accept a wide range of possible outcomes.
The person you quoted said it's over.

We will see how this thing plays out, but Robinson should easily beat Hurns out for the WR3 spot. It just isn't feasible to put too much stock into preseason performances. Not saying you should totally ignore it but you have to take the production with a grain of salt. Do the Jags like this kid? Sure. They waited until the draft was over and offered him a chance. Is he realistically shooting up the depth chart ready to bump Shorts, Lee, and Robinson down, two of which were drafted in the second round? Highly unlikely.

Hurns is playing well and taking advantage of the opportunity. Does that mean he replaces Lee, Shorts, or Robinson? Only as far as any of those guys are out. Robinson might be the most vulnerable in the near term because he's missed time. He's not injury prone or of questionable talent. He was doing fine in limited duty during OTA. Hurns is a nice story but let's see how he fairs with a regular season game or three before we annoint him the hidden gem of this season.

Thank you to Hotboyz for putting this guy on my radar. I am going on record: he will be an NFL star--sooner than later. I just traded to secure him and I couldn't be happier; here's why.

1) Yes, he is an undrafted FA and they don't have a high success rate. But, I think it must have something to do with him having only one stellar season (Senior year) and not doing very well at Combine. That don't concern me much...

2) His Senior year was the best by any Miami Hurricane WR and they have had some great NFL WRs come out of there.

3) He had a great OTA and camp--the injuries to second round pick Allen Robinson and to Cecil Shorts and the suspension of Ace Sanders has opened the door. Opportunity knocks...and opportunity is critical.

4) He is playing with his college OC--so he knows the playbook.

5) Look at his tape--he catches with his hands extended! He adjusts to the ball in the air! He gets separation off the line. And he has good RAC ability.

6) He has performed in the preseason, when given opportunity, and is one of the best WRs this preseason. Ok, there are many preseason wonders who disappear, but I don't think that will happen because he has done much of it against first team defenses. These aren't scrubs.

7) The QB of the future, Bortles, seems to have a good connection with him.

8) Good size--at 6'3'' and 200 lbs. His speed is not stellar (40 time at 4.5) but it's good enough. He seems to have a quick initial step off the line.

9) Jacksonville will have to pass a lot this year I think...and there isn't a lot of competition. Lee and Robinson are both rookies and Shorts is a WR2 playing a featured receiver.

I could be wrong, but I think this guy has the IT factor.

Thank you to Hotboyz for putting this guy on my radar. I am going on record: he will be an NFL star--sooner than later. I just traded to secure him and I couldn't be happier; here's why.

1) Yes, he is an undrafted FA and they don't have a high success rate. But, I think it must have something to do with him having only one stellar season (Senior year) and not doing very well at Combine. That don't concern me much...

2) His Senior year was the best by any Miami Hurricane WR and they have had some great NFL WRs come out of there.

3) He had a great OTA and camp--the injuries to second round pick Allen Robinson and to Cecil Shorts and the suspension of Ace Sanders has opened the door. Opportunity knocks...and opportunity is critical.

5) Look at his tape--he catches with his hands extended! He adjusts to the ball in the air! He gets separation off the line. And he has good RAC ability.

6) He has performed in the preseason, when given opportunity, and is one of the best WRs this preseason. Ok, there are many preseason wonders who disappear, but I don't think that will happen because he has done much of it against first team defenses. These aren't scrubs.

8) Good size--at 6'3'' and 200 lbs. His speed is not stellar (40 time at 4.5) but it's good enough. He seems to have a quick initial step off the line.

9) Jacksonville will have to pass a lot this year I think...and there isn't a lot of competition. Lee and Robinson are both rookies and Shorts is a WR2 playing a featured receiver.

How much would you bid for him on waivers? I've been on the fence then read your stance on him and I'm sold.

How much would you bid for him on waivers? I've been on the fence then read your stance on him and I'm sold.
$100 total to bid? I wouldn't bid it all because we still don't know he is starting and we still haven't seen it in regular season. But if he does something comparable in week 1, I would bid the whole kick and kabootle. Not sure about preseason best bids as we don't do that. You might want to float this in the Assistant Coach forum and explain your league rules.

In anything close to a normal redraft league, there is no reason to roster Hurns. I like what I've seen, but he's probably 1-2 years away from being very relevant. I was shocked that someone added him in my league, but I am sure he will get dropped after week 1.

In anything close to a normal redraft league, there is no reason to roster Hurns. I like what I've seen, but he's probably 1-2 years away from being very relevant. I was shocked that someone added him in my league, but I am sure he will get dropped after week 1.
Is Lee or Robinson rosterable? Lee has played but not done as much. And Robinson has been the invisible man due to hammy. Shorts is good but not great. There is opportunity there because Jaguars are going to have to throw the ball some.

Is Lee or Robinson rosterable? Lee has played but not done as much. And Robinson has been the invisible man due to hammy. Shorts is good but not great. There is opportunity there because Jaguars are going to have to throw the ball some.
It all depends what other players are FA in your league. Anyone can be rosterable in the right circumstance. It seems like Lee would be the guy to take a shot with first.

I am not ready to start picking him up in redraft, but I can tell you that kid is always open. I can easily see how he could become a popular target for Henne or Bortles.

It's funny I keep hearing people brush this guy off like there's nothing to see here. Yet you hear people say benjamin looks like the real deal and cooks looks amazing. This kid could be a nobody could disappear , but when I see him all preseason he looks like the best rookie wr in this class. He could be a flash in the pan but u better kick the tires on him

http://youtu.be/OanMAfanaXk

It's funny I keep hearing people brush this guy off like there's nothing to see here. Yet you hear people say benjamin looks like the real deal and cooks looks amazing. This kid could be a nobody could disappear , but when I see him all preseason he looks like the best rookie wr in this class. He could be a flash in the pan but u better kick the tires on him

http://youtu.be/OanMAfanaXk
That is simply confirmation bias. People already had it in their minds that Cooks and Benjamin were good because of their draft positions and they probably already had them rostered. So, they see anything those guys do as good because they are looking for good things to see. On top of that I think there are many people who drafted Lee or Robinson so they don't want to acknowledge that this UDFA could be the best rookie on the team. That would render their pick of Lee or Robinson less effective. So you are seeing a lot of justification of why those guys are all so much better and he is so much worse. FWIW, I own Lee and Robinson in different leagues but I went out and picked up Hurns weeks ago after the news out of OTAs. I'd rather get this right than be right. There is an opportunity for someone to emerge in Jax and it could just as easily be Hurns at this point.

grabbed him off waivers in two deep dynasties.

exactly the type of player the end of your bench is for.

thanks for the heads up.

Everytime I read a thread like this, I'm thankful for FBG.

And then for some reason I hear the voice of Bill Parcells say "This is why you lift all those weights!"

Who is this kid!! Every week I watch this kid and he keeps making plays. Not only is he makin plays he is doing it vs starters! I don't wanna exaggerate this but this situation has a Anquan Boldin feel to it when he burst into scene his rookie yr. So is this kid just a flash in the pan pre season star or is there something here??
Boldin was a second round pick - he didn't come out of nowhere. The only reason he may have been under the radar a bit was because Arizona also drafted WR Bryant Johnson in round one.

If he's following the Victor Cruz script, he'll be a breakout star in 2015. I already own Bortles so picking up Hurns is starting to become a very tempting proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread