What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So what really happens when you go Jimmy Graham at 1.08? (1 Viewer)

Grits_Blitz

Footballguy
Will you be chasing the draft all night? Struggling to find "studs" everywhere else?

Non-PPR and I have a feeling that Graham will be there for me. It's my choice or not to take him.

Anybody else take the Graham plunge? If so..what happened to your team. Success or looking like an uphill climb.

My only redraft league is a 12 team PPR with one major difference: 10 points for all TDs. I chose draft spot 11 and may have a shot at Graham due to 1-2 QBs (or maybe 3) expected to go in the 1st. I don't mind chasing for the rest of the draft with Graham in the fold.

E. Sanders night has me spooked on D Thomas and am now considering Graham. Would like to hear some input on Graham in the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be chasing the draft all night? Struggling to find "studs" everywhere else?

Non-PPR and I have a feeling that Graham will be there for me. It's my choice or not to take him.

Anybody else take the Graham plunge? If so..what happened to your team. Success or looking like an uphill climb.

depends how good you are at the game, if your an accomplished player who does his homework you can build a monster of a team with Jimmy G leading the way..esp if its the Footballguys Players Championship with FPC/FFPC scoring..1.5 ppr for TE's..in all other cases or if your a newbie or struggling player and its not an FFPC you might want to try a Lacy/Calvin DThomas type in that spot if they are available...good luck

ahh i just noticed NON ppr...dont go that way then, look for Lacy to sneak to you then or non ppr hmm don't play that at all anymore but although the positon is as deep as its ever been i cant help but think QBs esp like Peyton might be a nice try in that spot also in non ppr scoring formats.. GL.

There are plenty of good RB's and WR's out there. Spend most of the next eight or so rounds stocking those positions up intelligently, and not only won't you be "behind," but you've got just as good a shot at having a few year-end studs as anybody else. Plenty of RB1's and WR1's are going to end up coming out of rounds after round 1. Just do what you can to maximize your chances.

Take advantage of the fact that there are good QB's available late this year, and Graham will do nothing but benefit you.

I've been doing a few mocks lately from the mid-picks of 12 teams, grabbing Graham a couple times. I found that depending on the QB situation (I've seen Peyton picked in the first, but it would depend on how the people in your league value elite QBs), you don't really chase all that much. PPR levels the parity a bit, and I can usually grab high upside RBs (Joique Bell should be a gold mine value in the middle rounds) in the 3rd-4th if I use my second on a mid-level elite PPR receiver. If you feel you want to go all in on Graham this season, then I say do it.

depends how good you are at the game, if your an accomplished player who does his homework you can build a monster of a team with Jimmy G leading the way..esp if its the Footballguys Players Championship with FPC/FFPC scoring..1.5 ppr for TE's..in all other cases or if your a newbie or struggling player and its not an FFPC you might want to try a Lacy/Calvin DThomas type in that spot if they are available...good luck
You forgot to send that $50 you owe me Donny.

I'm not impressed with the Bell, Foster, Morris trio in Round 2. And would be a reach at my position. WR could be the way to go. Or if one of the big three QB's fall...some opinion is to take BPA.

I've tried several graham mocks. I'm in a 12 team standard scoring league.

I don't like how my teams look when I go graham in the 1st.

What I like better is demaryius at 8 and bpa (Rb/wr) in the 2nd. If montee ball slips to me I'll take him. If not I go with a Julio or a jordy over a split time back like a Gio.

Then in the 3 rd I try for a Rb, best one available that scores Tds. That means spiller is out of the question. I've been getting Doug Martin there a lot.

If gronk or thomas fall to me in the 4th I'm all per them.

In the 5th if stafford falls I take him.

Then I go bpa on wr/Rb rest of the way.

Here is a team I just mocked from the 8 spot round by round. If this were my real team is be thrilled:

Your Team

1. Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)

2. Julio Jones (Atl - WR)

3. Doug Martin (TB - RB)

4. Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE)

5. Matthew Stafford (Det - QB)

6. Jeremy Maclin (Phi - WR)

7. Ben Tate (Cle - RB)

8. Maurice Jones-Drew (Oak - RB)

9. Stevan Ridley (NE - RB)

10. Knowshon Moreno (Mia - RB)

11. Kelvin Benjamin (Car - WR)

12. Kenny Stills (NO - WR)

13. Greg Jennings (Min - WR)

14. Houston (Hou - DEF)

15. Shaun Suisham (Pit - K)

E. Sanders night has me spooked on D Thomas and am now considering Graham. Would like to hear some input on Graham in the first.
why? Sanders will not hinder Thomas's numbers.
First, Decker is gone. Will Sanders match what Decker did?Second: I could be wrong, but it didn't look like DT was even out there whole Sanders tore it up

Third: Welker seems to have a concussion which only leaves room for DT and ES

Fourth: DT's talent is so crazy big.

Close enough, I took graham at 7 in a 12 team PPR last night

Graham

Foster

Morris

Spiller

DeSean

Cam

T Williams

Benjamin

I won't bore you with the rest, but I thought I was still able to get good value at RB and I targeted wr's that I thought had high reward since i waited until rd 5. Hanging in the shark pool and buying the hype on Benjamin (and Hunter a few rounds later) gave me the confidence to do that.

I'm happy with my starting lineup vs my opponents.

If you are picking later in the 1st I think it actually benefits you to take Graham than pass on him, and you certainly wont be chasing players at other positions all night. Id say the only thing is does dictate is that when taking him you should settle for value QB and get a top QB2 so you can stock up on RBs and WRs in between. In the 1 draft I took Graham 8th in a 12 teamer non-PPR and ended up with

Graham

Dez

Bush

Roddy

Chris Johnson

Maclin

Wallace

Lamar Miller

Romo

Freeman

Roethlisberger

I dont love my RB depth but otherwise like this team, and despite taking Graham I think my WR corps is pretty strong (plus Gordon as a wildcard later).

I drafted a 10-team ppr last night. Bonus points for long touchdowns. Each team keeps one guy from the year before and loses the round they were drafted in. I was keeping Alshon Jeffery in the last round and drafting 5th overall.

1. Graham (Only other legit option for me here was DT. Hate passing him, but liked the depth at WR more than TE.)

2. Brees (Don't usually like QBs early, but he fell to me here and made a nice chicken and rib combo with Graham.)

3. Reggie Bush (Might regret passing on Doug Martin/Arian Foster here.)

4. Andre Johnson (Was eying Roddy White up right here and he went one pick before me.)

5. Rashad Jennings

Backed Reggie up in the 6th or 7th with Joique Bell.

Since I started with Graham/Brees I figured I'd be looking to take some flyers later in the draft at some RBs and WRs that could crack the top 10-20 at their position. Ended up with guys like Sproles, Terrance West, and Andre Williams at RB, and Mike Wallace, Ruben Randle, Colston, and Jordan Matthews at WR. Backed Graham up late with Travis Kelce and I really like his upside and potential as trade bait.

One other note: I didn't have a 10th rounder. When it came back around to me in the 11th Romo had dropped a full two rounds beyond his ADP. With what else was on the board I decided to snag him to back up Brees. I figure if I did a bad job chasing depth/breakouts at RB/WR then I might have a shot at shoring one of those positions up by trading Brees or Romo.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Take him and then a stud WR. There are a lot of good Running Backs slipping late this year. Few WR studs, grab them early and often.

I said it in the other graham thread. Follow up your graham pick with one of the big three QBs and those two guys alone will win you weeks all by themselves. Get lucky in a few other spots and your team is a championship contender. It happens every year in my league. Some guy take a qb early and everyone looks at his rb depleted team and laugh. Meanwhile he wins the most games in your league and you scratch your head. Take graham and a stud wr or stud qb in the first two rounds. Get lucky on a rb and thats really all you need.

I barely missed on the Brees/Graham combo last year. Would take that weekly advantage in a heartbeat if you could somehow get them with 1 and 2 and then draft bpa moving forward at running back and wr.

Albeit my league was a ten man but I took Graham at 1.08

Jimmy Graham

Dez Bryant

CJ Spiller

Jordy Nelson

Ryan Matthews

Cordarrelle Patterson

Emanuel Sanders

RG3

Ray Rice

Bengals

Jeremy Hill

Ben Roethlisberger

Terrance West

Josh Gordon

Matt Bryant

I'm pretty happy, but I will admit to be sweating about my RBs a little. I'm hoping I hit a home run amongst Rice, Hill and West that can make up for my deficiency in this area.

Here's what I did today in this position. 12-team PPR, all TDs 6. 3rd round reversal: 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, then 1-12, 12-1 for the rest of the draft.

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D, 1 coach.

1.08 TE J. Graham

2.05 RB Lynch

3.05 WR V. Jackson (Allen went one pick before)

4.08 WR Patterson

5.05 RB Gore

6.08 WR G. Tate

7.05 RB L. Miller

8.08 WR Wheaton

9.05 RB Hyde

10.08 QB Big Ben

11.05 QB R. Wilson

12.08 RB Moreno

13.05 D CIN

14.08 TE G. Graham

15.05 WR Quick

16.08 C IND - we start a coach and get points for a win

17.05 WR John Brown

18.08 RB Turbin

19.05 K Bailey

20.08 WR James Jones

I think this can play, esp. if I get the QB matchups right.

graham

marshall

spiller

mathews

c johnson

t smith

cutler

wayne

bowe

this is the best i could come up with was assuming the draft went as current mfl adp.

Drafted 12 in a non ppr local league some guppies

Graham Murray Cruz Vincent Jackson joique Ryan Matthews roddy desean Lamar Miller Russell Wilson and big Ben

I barely missed on the Brees/Graham combo last year. Would take that weekly advantage in a heartbeat if you could somehow get them with 1 and 2 and then draft bpa moving forward at running back and wr.
It was good livin til week 16 at Carolina.

The way I see it...Graham is like a wr1, and no one's balking at taking a top WR in the mid/late first. If you look at Graham like your wr1 and think of your last starting WR as your TE spot, I'd imagine most of us feel we can beat the mid-level starting TE numbers with a WR in the 7th or 8th round.

Anyway, that's the at I rationalized it in my league where I took graham early...and won it all ;)

On paper you will think you have a weak spot in the flex or 3rd WR or 2nd RB or whatever it may be because you compare your team to someone else who has less "weak spots" because you don't consider Kyle Rudolph or whoever they get at tight end a weak spot. But this is all so irrelevant because two weeks into the year you will be starting diferent players anyway. Get as may difference makers a you can and figure the rest out later.

On paper you will think you have a weak spot in the flex or 3rd WR or 2nd RB or whatever it may be because you compare your team to someone else who has less "weak spots" because you don't consider Kyle Rudolph or whoever they get at tight end a weak spot. But this is all so irrelevant because two weeks into the year you will be starting diferent players anyway. Get as may difference makers a you can and figure the rest out later.
Thats about as succinctly as I've seen it put.

QB

Luck(5)

Palmer(15)

RB

Lynch (2)

Matthews (4)

Freeman (11)

Hyde(16)

WR

Jeffrey(3)

Harvin (13 keeper)

Decker (9)

Bowe (12)

Cooks (10)

TE

Graham(1)

Cameron (flex got him in the 7th)

DEF

Seattle(6)

Houston

Kicker

Haushka

AMT said:
great posting

I agree with that post as well. When you draft Graham in the first and then look at the other rosters it can kind of get you worrying when you see the flashy RBs in other people's teams. For some reason, the TE advantage seems to kind of fly over your head.

A couple of weeks in and Graham owners will be absolutely loving it when they see him put up WR1 numbers as other people that drafted fancied TE sleepers later on are dealing with 1-2 catches for 37 yards and no TDs

In my team posted a few posts above I'm feeling confident in the fact that if Patterson comes off I could have FOUR WR1s effectively in my starting line up on any given week.

If you can scrape by at RB with some solid production grabbing Graham and 1-2 top end WRs can see you hitting home runs as long as you've drafted clever in the second half of the draft.

QB

Luck(5)

Palmer(15)

RB

Lynch (2)

Matthews (4)

Freeman (11)

Hyde(16)

WR

Jeffrey(3)

Harvin (13 keeper)

Decker (9)

Bowe (12)

Cooks (10)

TE

Graham(1)

DEF

Seattle(6)

Houston

Kicker

Haushka
I like this and not really a Cameron Jordan fan so it could be even better. 12 teams?

QB

Luck(5)

Palmer(15)

RB

Lynch (2)

Matthews (4)

Freeman (11)

Hyde(16)

WR

Jeffrey(3)

Harvin (13 keeper)

Decker (9)

Bowe (12)

Cooks (10)

TE

Graham(1)

DEF

Seattle(6)

Houston

Kicker

Haushka
I like this and not really a Cameron Jordan fan so it could be even better. 12 teams?
No 10 team. Local 13 years running....some savvy players as well. Got stuck last year watching guys I wanted getting plucked a round or two before I expected. Went early on most targets this year and patient on RB's. Hope Hyde and Freeman break through.

I took him last year, in the second. Won my league. In the first, it brings his value down to earth a bit, but think about it. He is essentially a WR1 in a TE body. He makes insane plays every game, and Brees loves him.

Took him at 5 today in one draft. The scoring and other teams dictated it, in my opinion.

I think a lot of owners are afraid they'll look bad if they go outside the box, oftentimes. Don't think twice about executing a strategy that you think is right. Some owners might turn around and look at you like "Wow, obviously he didn't look at the rankings on X-website today" - and many times those are same owners wallowing in mediocrity and bi###ing about how the League Champ "got so ####### lucky this year".

I took him at 1.09 in a 12 team 0.5 PPR (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE Flex, 1 K, 1 Def) and ended up upside down drafting my way to an odd team:

QB: Brady, Tannehill

RB: Jennings, Ridley, Sproles, Ingram

WR: AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, Floyd, Wallace, Wright

TE: Graham, Bennett

K: Dawson

DEF: Arizona

Obviously, I'm pretty concerned about RB depth so I'll need to score on the waiver wire at some point, unless Ridley or Ingram emerge out of the muddled RBBC situations in NE and NO. But I love my advantages at TE and WR over most of the league. Could be an interesting team if a few things pan out.

I took him in two drafts yesterday. I royally screwed up one of them by not paying enough attention, so I'll just post the other one: (12 team standard)

The RB's are scary because I went for WR's after having already taken Graham. I did stack 5 RB's on the bench, hopefully between then and Rice I can come up with an RB2BC AND Mathews can stay healthy. lulz. My FAAB budget is ready.

QB: Foles

RB: Mathews, Rice

WR: Julio, Allen

TE: Graham

Flex: Crabtree

DEF: NE

K: SEA

BN: DeAngelo Williams, Ingram, Bradshaw, CJ Anderson, Bryce Brown, Brian Hartline

I took Gronk at 3.05 yesterday over Orange Julius. A little bit of a reach but I would rather have Gronk there than Graham in the mid 1st. I was able to lock up Eddie Lacy and Marshawn Lynch with my first 2 picks and I got Jordan Reed in the 9th round in case the Gronk pick doesn't pan out so I'm pretty happy with it.

I took him in two drafts yesterday. I royally screwed up one of them by not paying enough attention, so I'll just post the other one: (12 team standard)

The RB's are scary because I went for WR's after having already taken Graham. I did stack 5 RB's on the bench, hopefully between then and Rice I can come up with an RB2BC AND Mathews can stay healthy. lulz. My FAAB budget is ready.

BN: DeAngelo Williams, Ingram, Bradshaw, CJ Anderson, Bryce Brown, Brian Hartline
I don't see a thing wrong with those RBs. If I'd gone JG/Julio/Allen to start off I'd be praying for a starting RB combo like you got.

Having said that, I don't like the concept of Graham in the first in a standard scoring league. In PPR, all day long ... but in standard scoring the VBD that even a guy like Graham will most likely give you over the #11-15 TEs is very unlikely to justify the use of a first-rounder IMO.

I don't see a thing wrong with those RBs. If I'd gone JG/Julio/Allen to start off I'd be praying for a starting RB combo like you got.

Having said that, I don't like the concept of Graham in the first in a standard scoring league. In PPR, all day long ... but in standard scoring the VBD that even a guy like Graham will most likely give you over the #11-15 TEs is very unlikely to justify the use of a first-rounder IMO.
Clean out your pas. mbsl2 is rolling.

TE/RB/WR/(RB/WR) seem to give the best mocks so far.

Looks like the QB position is sacrificed in the first couple of rounds when going TE early.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Leonidas said:

Yeah, I'm still kind of surprised I did it...but the top 4 RB's, Lacy, Calvin, and Demaryius were gone. I have a very hard time separating Green/Dez/Marshall/Julio so I hate taking the first of that group when Graham (IMO) clearly separates himself from the other TE's (tied highest ceiling, highest floor, IMO)...and I still got one of those 4 WR's (Julio) in the second.

problem is, seemingly everyone is going to do the same thing with snagging Graham in rnd 1.it's almost better value to take bpa there, and wait for Rudolph to fall a couple of rounds: he's poised to be the #3 TE this season, IMO..

problem is, seemingly everyone is going to do the same thing with snagging Graham in rnd 1.it's almost better value to take bpa there, and wait for Rudolph to fall a couple of rounds: he's poised to be the #3 TE this season, IMO..
BPA at 8 is probably Graham.

Had #8 in a 12 team non-ppr today and took Graham. Here's my team(QB,2RB,2WR,Flex(RB/WR/TE),K,D/ST,7BN):

1.08 - J. Graham

2.05 - D. Bryant (could've gone Bernard/L.Bell/Stacy. Top 3QB's gone)

3.08 - V. Jackson (could've had Mathews/Tate for RB or Floyd/Allen/White/Johnson for WR)

4.05 - A. Ellington

5.08 - T. Gerhart (Jennings/Johnson/Jackson available for RB)

6.05 - J. Bell

7.08 - T. Brady (11th QB taken)

8.05 - M.Wallace (was thinking of Cameron)

9.08 - L.Miller

10.05 - R.Randle

11.08 - J.Reed* (was targeting M.Evans or J.Cutler, but they were drafted with the 2 previous picks)

12.05 - Bengals

13.08 - Z. Ertz (was hoping Austin/Wheaton would come back around)

14.05 - M. Wheaton (1/3 of the league was on autopick so knew a K run was about to start)

15.08 - D. McCluster

16.05 - M. Bryant

Overall happy with my team. Have no major Bye week issues which seems like a problem a lot of teams are running into this year with certain weeks (4,9,10).

*Another owner asked me to come up with some trade proposals for Reed immediately after I drafted him(reason I took Ertz in 13th), so I'm thinking of trying a Reed/Jackson package for J.Jones or Reed for M.Ryan.

Had #10 in a 12 team non-ppr today and took Graham. Here's my team (QB,2RB,2WR,Flex(RB/WR/TE),K,D/ST,5BN):

QB: Robert Griffin III
RB: C.J. Spiller, Joique Bell, Stevan Ridley, Knowshon Moreno, Jonathan Stewart, Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: A.J. Green, Michael Floyd, Brandin Cooks, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
PK: Steve Hauschka
TD:

Quarterbacks flew off the board. I'm not a huge fan of RG3 and was targeting Cutler, but he went right before my pick and couldn't risk another run on QBs.

Not a ton of depth and no real workohorse backs, but my ability to start Graham and Gronk seems like an advantage. I may have gotten too fancy, but we just switched to adding TE into our flex the opportunity arose to have both Graham and Gronk, so I took Gronk at the end of the third.

I just posted this as a question as the previous post landed. I was also considering Graham as a flex and then also grabbing Gronk in the 4th after RB/WR in 2/3.

Users who are viewing this thread