Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bucky86

Buying a wireless router.

So 2500 sqft single story house here.  2 Apple TVs, 4 ipads, 2 Iphones amongst other connected devices....

I am currently running this Spaceship.  It has been suitable, but I am starting to experience some lag issues plus i would like to be able to reach the corners of my property, a whopping .25 acres.  Thoughts on mesh teaching outdoors?

11 minutes ago, ragincajun said:

So 2500 sqft single story house here.  2 Apple TVs, 4 ipads, 2 Iphones amongst other connected devices....

I am currently running this Spaceship.  It has been suitable, but I am starting to experience some lag issues plus i would like to be able to reach the corners of my property, a whopping .25 acres.  Thoughts on mesh teaching outdoors?

So far my google wifi has been kick ### on a three story townhouse. Zero drops anywhere.

• Like 1

So my old Asus rt-n16 with Tomato USB is finally dying.  I am replacing it with an rt-ac86u.  This is a pretty significant upgrade and the asuswrt looks like it handles everything my old one did and more with a really slick interface.  Anyone use AiPlayer? Curious how it works remotely.  Also, anyone have one of these newer Asus routers with a HDD hooked up?  I saw a chart showing max HDD size (partition) for these but wanted to confirm it.  I believe it is now 4 TB for NTFS.  TIA.

On 11/10/2017 at 0:14 PM, lumpy19 said:

4 years ago my router handled computers and phones.  Now my router handles computers, phones, psvue, netflix content, amazon content, music streaming,photo streaming, etc. I'm surprised you're old router covered a 3500 sq ft house.

We have stupid AT&T internet and their router.  How does Orbi work with that?  Do I just plug them in and wirelessly connect them through the phone app?  

I am sick of our router, but AT&T will gig the #### out of me if any trouble comes up and I don't have their interface.  

I'm interested in the Google Wi-Fi, but I have some questions and am not sure if I even need it. I currently have a internet through Centurylink, and I use their combo DSL modem/router. I added a TP-Link C3150 a few months ago and set the Centurylink modem to bridge mode, connected the two, and the TP-Link started broadcasting in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz ranges and our internet was much improved. That didn't last long, though, and it started dropping all the time. The 5ghz range disappeared completely, and one of my laptops refuses to see the new Wi-Fi network at all, even though it can see the 20+ other neighborhood Wi-Fi networks around us. I also get an error on my network when accessing normal websites from my devices along the lines of "unable to access 192.168.0.1". This error only happens when on my home network, so I'm positive it's related to the router settings.

I did some research on DSL modem-only modems that will work with Centurylink  at the time I bought the TP-Link and came away confused and unimpressed, so I decided to keep renting the one I already had installed. 

My questions:

-Will I run into the same problems if I upgrade to the Google Wi-Fi?

-Do I need to even do that, as the TP-Link C3150 should be more than enough to cover my three level townhome? I'm assuming there are some changes I need to make in my router to get everything working right - if so, any tips/hints/etc?

-If I should get rid of the Centurylink combo modem/router I have and get a modem only, can anyone recommend a solid modem that works with Centurylink DSL service?

On 1/18/2018 at 4:12 PM, Osaurus said:

So my old Asus rt-n16 with Tomato USB is finally dying.  I am replacing it with an rt-ac86u.  This is a pretty significant upgrade and the asuswrt looks like it handles everything my old one did and more with a really slick interface.  Anyone use AiPlayer? Curious how it works remotely.  Also, anyone have one of these newer Asus routers with a HDD hooked up?  I saw a chart showing max HDD size (partition) for these but wanted to confirm it.  I believe it is now 4 TB for NTFS.  TIA.

Update:  I have it all set up behind my Frontier Fios router as an access point.  Just love this router.  I flashed it with the asuswrt Merlin firmware for some additional tweaks.  Highly recommend.

I've had bad luck and the same issues with TP-Link routers in the past. Google Wifi has been rock solid for me after having it a few months now.  If I were making the choice again I would probably chose Google again.  Orbi would be my second choice due to the better backhaul.

I've been really happy with my orbi until the last month or so, something going on with my wireless setup.  Most of my devices connected via wireless only pull 10mb/s when I run speed test.  The exception is my phone(pixel 2) which hits 100mb/s.  Initially I found that my satellite orbi wasn't working, I reset that and paired it no problem but that didn't fix my slow wireless speeds.  Any thoughts?

Just to throw this in here again, for anything that is fixed (TV, PS4, AppleTV, etc.), these are awesome and IMHO much better than even the best wireless routers:

https://www.amazon.com/AV2000-Powerline-Pass-Thru-Gigabit-PLA5456BBKIT/dp/B01MTNKNPZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519592248&sr=8-5&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter

They are basically like having a long Ethernet cable from the device into the ports on your router. I had an older Linksys AC router and it dropped a lot without restarts, but replaced it with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC5400-Wireless-Router-EA9500/dp/B017NT8Q24/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519592594&sr=1-2&keywords=linksys+ac5400

The one I have doesn't do Alexa, so I think it is an older version of it, but looks the same. It's a fantastic router.

I have a 2800sf house and we have Google mesh in the basement, pool shed, mud room and kids bedroom over the garage. I can go anywhere on the acre of property and it's still connected a few hundred feet up and down the street. Awesome stuff.

20 minutes ago, Slider said:

I have a 2800sf house and we have Google mesh in the basement, pool shed, mud room and kids bedroom over the garage. I can go anywhere on the acre of property and it's still connected a few hundred feet up and down the street. Awesome stuff.

I have Comcast so I am guessing I would hook from the cable modem to one of the Mesh units and then spread the other two out throughout the house. My question is I have a pair of powerline adaptors with one in the living room that leads to a Ethernet switch where I have my smart tv and all my video game systems attached to. So how would the mesh unit fit in this?

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, tonydead said:

My pick. Was as low as $199 on black Friday. 

I love my Asus Router, but it is time to get a new one and I am looking at the Asus AC86u but would love to hear how this one is working out for you.

I have a 3000sf house, multi-level and I am starting to see signal drops, which is becoming problematic because what happens is my daughter's Iphone drops signal and goes to LTE without warning and she is running us over the our data limit at Verizon. When I looked at my network we had 13 devices active :shock: 

Edited by Courtjester

Once you connect the one mesh to the router they become your WiFi. Nothing else is affected. I'd guess the power line adapters would be useless. The mesh would handle everything. We have fifteen devices connected when the kids come back from college. If we have a pool party we can give out temp access and run 30 devices. 

We got them because our one bedroom over the garage was a dead spot and he plays PS4. The WiFi app is great too. You can test the speed and strength of each individual mesh unit. We've had it for a year and it's been flawless.

46 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I have Comcast so I am guessing I would hook from the cable modem to one of the Mesh units and then spread the other two out throughout the house. My question is I have a pair of powerline adaptors with one in the living room that leads to a Ethernet switch where I have my smart tv and all my video game systems attached to. So how would the mesh unit fit in this?

I love my Asus Router, but it is time to get a new one and I am looking at the Asus AC86u but would love to hear how this one is working out for you.

I have a 3000sf house, multi-level and I am starting to see signal drops, which is becoming problematic because what happens is my daughter's Iphone drops signal and goes to LTE without warning and she is running us over the our data limit at Verizon. When I looked at my network we had 13 devices active :shock: 

I’ve had mine for a month or so now as an Access Point behind my primary router and love it.  

Edited by Osaurus

4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I’ve had mine for a month or so now as an Access Point behind my primary router and love it.  

So would you recommend it a stand-alone router to cover a big house or would an Wifi extender be needed?

10 hours ago, Courtjester said:

So would you recommend it a stand-alone router to cover a big house or would an Wifi extender be needed?

Hard to say for me as I have a 1 story 1,962 sf house.  I get great signal all around the house (both bands) and beyond.  I can access mine about a block away in all directions.  You could try extenders if you need them or buy 2 and use the AI Mesh.  I’ve heard good things about extenders, but I’ve also heard they’re meh.  All I can say at this point is this router is awesome and worth every cent.

Edited by Osaurus

1 hour ago, Courtjester said:

I actually haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still on TP Link 1750 which handles 20+ devices. Love TP Link stuff. I use one WAP at the far end of the house which I could get rid of when I upgrade. 

I need a new router, and will never buy Netgear again, or may my #### slowly swell and then burst like over ripe mangos in the hot sun.

Google Mesh sounds intriguing. Two questions for those that have it:

1. How is the WiFi speed? We are a gaming family and this is important.

2. Can I hard wire my work laptop to it as well?  I WFH and my company pays for my Internet and I need a hard line for my computer but also need to piggyback All of our wireless stuff at the same time.

I’m also looking at the Asus AC86u mentioned above. Unless Asus or any of its components have anything in common with Netgear (see opening comment).

TIA

Anyone wanting to go mesh should really just go with the Netgear Orbi AC3000, it is one of the few if not only one that has a dedicated backhaul over wifi so it's not shared with devices. Or get one that you can use wired ethernet as the backhaul.

1 hour ago, Jobber said:

I need a new router, and will never buy Netgear again, or may my #### slowly swell and then burst like over ripe mangos in the hot sun.

2. Can I hard wire my work laptop to it as well?  I WFH and my company pays for my Internet and I need a hard line for my computer but also need to piggyback All of our wireless stuff at the same time.

I’m also looking at the Asus AC86u mentioned above. Unless Asus or any of its components have anything in common with Netgear (see opening comment).

TIA

Been really happy with mine for about 6 months now.  I use it as an AP, but it’s a workhorse for WiFi and I have my media drives running off of it (poor man’s NAS).  Highly recommend.

Edited by Osaurus

1 hour ago, Jobber said:

TIA

I love my google mesh.

I game using the wifi to connect to my PS4, no issues.

You can hard wire into any of the wifi points.

I have my smart hub in one and the SVR for my security cameras in another.

Works flawlessly.

Edited by Bucky86

Eero has been an awesome choice.  Super easy to set up.  Great web app to see who/what is connected and speed of the system.  The family profile is nice for us too.  We can set the schedule to shut down the kids devices at a certain times on certain days.

7 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

Anyone wanting to go mesh should really just go with the Netgear Orbi AC3000, it is one of the few if not only one that has a dedicated backhaul over wifi so it's not shared with devices. Or get one that you can use wired ethernet as the backhaul.

Would you mind explaining what wireless backhaul means and why it's important?

14 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Would you mind explaining what wireless backhaul means and why it's important?

So the satellite devices have to talk to and carry all the network traffic back to the main router. Orbi uses a dedicated channel for that, most others use the existing channels so it's mixed with the regular traffic. Some will allow for a wired ethernet backhaul, but not sure which ones can do that.

2 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

So the satellite devices have to talk to and carry all the network traffic back to the main router. Orbi uses a dedicated channel for that, most others use the existing channels so it's mixed with the regular traffic. Some will allow for a wired ethernet backhaul, but not sure which ones can do that.

So the YouTube stream goes to my phone/TV/tablet on one channel and the request for the next video/website goes back to the main router on a different one?

18 hours ago, Chaka said:

So the YouTube stream goes to my phone/TV/tablet on one channel and the request for the next video/website goes back to the main router on a different one?

Not really, it's just the satellites connect to the main router over the same wifi network that your devices use. The orbi uses a dedicated network for the satellites to make that connection, so it's not shared or impacted by devices on the regular wifi.

Waffling back and forth between eero and orbi.  Has anyone here used both?  Pros/cons of each?  So far reviews are very positive for each (and reflected as such in here as well).

I got fed up with my router/extender combo, so I just ordered a Google WiFi. The fact that the units aren’t large and hideous overcame the Orbi’s better performance and the fact that Google is probably tracking all your web activity. We’ll see how it works out. 

Edited by thecatch
  • Like 1

I ended up getting the Google wifi.  really like it so far.

thank you guys for the input

Edited by Drunken knight
  • Like 1

Bought the Orbi system on Prime day. Way overkill for my needs, but the price was too good to pass up. Required one reboot and so far, so good.

Jumping into the mesh market. Just order Google WiFi. Hopefully it solves my issues. 

Right now router is in the basement (that's where the line comes in) and repeater is on the first floor. Signal keeps dropping out at random intervals on devices and laptops. Seems to be fine on the rokus. Hoping the mesh setup will solve a lot of the dead zones. 

17 minutes ago, belljr said:

My orbi has been phenomenal

:kissofdeath:

Looked at the too. I was worried about the firmware complaints from 17-18. Also $150 more.

I really like our Orbi but I still got a MoCA network adapter to hard connect my televisions to the routers and reduce wireless traffic. It works very well.

The last firmware update has screwed up my Orbi for the fast few weeks.  I think I finally have it fixed.  If not I am going to buy a google mesh.

Our old Apple router finally died. Ended up getting an AMPLIFI mesh router with one extra base, (can do two extra bases). It was easy to set up and has been performing well. Seems like a good purchase. 

2 hours ago, Insein said:

Jumping into the mesh market. Just order Google WiFi. Hopefully it solves my issues. 

Right now router is in the basement (that's where the line comes in) and repeater is on the first floor. Signal keeps dropping out at random intervals on devices and laptops. Seems to be fine on the rokus. Hoping the mesh setup will solve a lot of the dead zones. 

I got the google Wifi a couple months ago and it’s been flawless. Zero drops and the range crushes what we used to have with various extenders. 

• Like 1

Have been doing the AIMESH deal (with Asus products) for over a year with very good results.  I already had Asus routers in the house, so it was pretty much free to give it a shot.  Works very well, with constant firmware updates.

14 hours ago, Insein said:

Looked at the too. I was worried about the firmware complaints from 17-18. Also $150 more.

Have the original and it's been outstanding. Get 300Mbps easily.

I’ve had a Google Wifi for a year now. The coverage is excellent and night and day better than the router/repeater combo. 

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work well with WiFi calling at all. And WiFi calling is pretty important for me since our cell coverage in the house is spotty. For that reason I wouldn’t buy it again, but YMMV. 

Edited by thecatch

Fios 150/150.  Not a tech geek, but know enough to be dangerous.  3 floor house a around 3,5000 sq ft.

Currently using Orbi after we cut the cord.  25 electronic devices and works well and randomly reset.  When family complains.  Able to do some control of my kids internet usage websites is an added benefit through built in Circle app.

Originally had a new router with several Netgear extenders and did not work great.  Went to Best Buy and they described the value of the Orbi and not losing the speed with each extenders. They were right.

Edited by schlesinj

Set up the Google WiFi. Been working perfect so far. In fact, I'm getting more bandwidth than the old router right at the point. I'm paying for 500mb and before I was only getting about 325-350 when hard wires through the router. Now I'm getting 450+ on the hard line. Also getting 300+ on wireless right at the main router. Before I was only getting 180-200 on wireless. 

But the reason I bought it for was to reach those dead zones and I'm getting at least 100mb in all parts of the house now. So A+ so far.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

450+ wow. I’m paying for 100 and barely getting 25

Then you're getting bent over...either the modem is wrong or the routers are too old

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

450+ wow. I’m paying for 100 and barely getting 25

Dang. I pay $68/mo for 100mb. Usually in the 95/95 range