Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bucky86

Buying a wireless router.

I have an older Asus Rt n66u Dark knight router. Works great but I need to go to a mesh network. It doesn't look like it supports the AiMesh asus software.  

Not sure whether to replace it with asus mesh routers or Google wifi mesh

1 hour ago, JaxBill said:

I have an older Asus Rt n66u Dark knight router. Works great but I need to go to a mesh network. It doesn't look like it supports the AiMesh asus software.  

Not sure whether to replace it with asus mesh routers or Google wifi mesh

No experience with the Asus but I love my Google mesh.  Have 4 points covering my whole property and have great internet with 1 SSID everywhere. I love the app for control as well, even though I rarely need to use it.  Google keeps it updated behind the scenes kind of like a chromebook so they just work. I love it so much I've started converting our business locations over to them as well.

• Like 1

I went the MeshForce route because I'm leery of trusting Google with my home network access.

Easy setup,  3 mesh points, delivered same day by Amazon for 150. 

Huge difference. 

Mesh? Euro? WTF

Need a new router. Ours is probably more than 10 years old. One of the antenna broke otherwise I would t even replace it.

Kids and gaming so lots-o-streaming.

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA 

I’ve been using the Asus (RT-AC88U) for about a week. Huge boost in coverage and faster downloads.  Thing is awesome

wifi covers the entire house no issues

Edited by Big League Chew
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JaxBill said:

I went the MeshForce route because I'm leery of trusting Google with my home network access.

Easy setup,  3 mesh points, delivered same day by Amazon for 150. 

Huge difference. 

Me too. I love the Meshforce so far and I got it on Prime Day as well. It’s been night and day over the Linksys and the faux mesh extenders. I’m not going to pretend that I know the true difference but the WiFi has been so much better without the drops and confusion.

13 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Mesh? Euro? WTF

Need a new router. Ours is probably more than 10 years old. One of the antenna broke otherwise I would t even replace it.

Kids and gaming so lots-o-streaming.

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA 

I had a great Linksys router but it just didn’t cover everywhere and seemed to struggle a bit with the extenders. I got a Meshforce on Amazon with two nodes and highly recommend it. The setup via the app took me five minutes. You can setup the new network to have the same SSID (the network name you log into on WiFi connections) and password as your current router. I did that and didn’t have to change a single device, they all logged in with no issues. Turn off your old router first.

All I know is that I never hear the WiFi has issues like I did before when PS4 connections dropped.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

I’ve been using the Asus (RT-AC88U) for about a week. Huge boost in coverage and faster downloads.  Thing is awesome

wifi covers the entire house no issues

and if you need more coverage (outside maybe), it can mesh.  Love my 88u as the primary and a pair of 68u's as nodes.

I bought the EERO system on Prime Day and so far I am very happy with the results.  Very simple set-up and wifi coverage in the far parts of the house is much better.  Much better speeds than the extender we were using previously.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, matttyl said:

and if you need more coverage (outside maybe), it can mesh.  Love my 88u as the primary and a pair of 68u's as nodes.

Are you using the stock firmware or did you go with ddwrt or tomato

Recently got a Dual band gigabit router when I realized I was paying for a FIOS gigabit connection but the router wasn't gigabit so I wasn't getting the full benefit.  Now it's lightning fast.

1 hour ago, Big League Chew said:

Are you using the stock firmware or did you go with ddwrt or tomato

Stock, seemed to work best with aimesh. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, Ned said:

I got the google Wifi a couple months ago and it’s been flawless. Zero drops and the range crushes what we used to have with various extenders. 

Got this after our move and I absolutely love it.  No time at all to set up.  The range is exceptional without any dead spots or slow areas.  And, can easily pause the wifi at night to whichever devices I want to control any unwanted kids activity.

Picked up the 4 pack at Costco on sale a couple weeks ago for $269 (normally $299). 

• Like 1

Sounds like mesh is the way to go.  HAve been having issues streaming to other places far from my router, which is probably 5 years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Sounds like mesh is the way to go.  HAve been having issues streaming to other places far from my router, which is probably 5 years old.

Turning into one of my favorite purchases ever.

Speeds are exceptional everywhere with lots of devices. The Google WiFi app is really good too. Simple, streamlined. You don't have some of the extra functionality that the other mesh devices offer but I don't need that stuff and I would assume most wouldn't either.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought the MeshForce system about a week ago.  Much better performance than the Linksys router I had.  No complaints so far.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, belljr said:

still an Orbi lover

Just added the bitdefender armor to it and it's great. Does some nice vulnerability scans on the network and uses a pretty decent phishing/scamming blackhole.

• Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Just added the bitdefender armor to it and it's great. Does some nice vulnerability scans on the network and uses a pretty decent phishing/scamming blackhole.

you think its worth the $$ - i signed up for the free trial not really knowing what i signed up for at first lol.

11 minutes ago, belljr said:

you think its worth the $$ - i signed up for the free trial not really knowing what i signed up for at first lol.

Got it for 45 or 50 for the year and I think so. Blocked some phishing site one of my kids tried to go to.

14 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Turning into one of my favorite purchases ever.

Speeds are exceptional everywhere with lots of devices. The Google WiFi app is really good too. Simple, streamlined. You don't have some of the extra functionality that the other mesh devices offer but I don't need that stuff and I would assume most wouldn't either.  

:goodposting:

2 months in and I've not had a single incident with our wifi since installing Google WiFi.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Question for you fellas. What would be the best solution to strengthen the wifi signal downstairs for my girlfriends laptop? My computer is plugged in directly and I game on mine so I don't want to mess with my speed. The main set up is upstairs and she is usually downstairs not getting a strong signal. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Weebs210

I've been happy with my Apple Airport for the last few years, but I've maxed out the devices. I think it only allows 50 devices.

Any recommendation for a router or a solution to add more connections?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

I've been happy with my Apple Airport for the last few years, but I've maxed out the devices. I think it only allows 50 devices.

Any recommendation for a router or a solution to add more connections?

Thanks!

Really most mesh solutions will be perfect. A few of us love our Orbi from Netgear and a bunch of others have been very happy with Google's wifi.

2 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Really most mesh solutions will be perfect. A few of us love our Orbi from Netgear and a bunch of others have been very happy with Google's wifi.

Still love my Orbi.... had one hiccup with it recently but was able to straighten it our pretty easily

I need some advice on this.  We have 3 floors. The wifi unit is in the basement, wired up to the router on the main floor.  We can't get the 5mhz signal on the top floor of the house, although the 2.4 is decent up there and is probably good enough for most of what we do.  Also, even on the main floor, I get a "weak wifi" warning from my Ring doorbell devices.  Also, I get weak wifi in my garage - needed for the smart garage door opener and streaming music and video when I'm out there working.

I'm looking at this Netgear Orbi system and the Google system, both from Costco.  Is this going to fix my issues?  I'm hoping to get by with the Netgear - put one unit upstairs and another in the garage.  Trying to figure out how these work.

https://www.costco.com/google-nest-wifi-4-pack---smart-wifi-powered-by-the-google-assistant.product.100517182.html

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-with-advanced-cyber-threat-protection%2c-3-pack.product.100483036.html

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I need some advice on this.  We have 3 floors. The wifi unit is in the basement, wired up to the router on the main floor.  We can't get the 5mhz signal on the top floor of the house, although the 2.4 is decent up there and is probably good enough for most of what we do.  Also, even on the main floor, I get a "weak wifi" warning from my Ring doorbell devices.  Also, I get weak wifi in my garage - needed for the smart garage door opener and streaming music and video when I'm out there working.

I'm looking at this Netgear Orbi system and the Google system, both from Costco.  Is this going to fix my issues?  I'm hoping to get by with the Netgear - put one unit upstairs and another in the garage.  Trying to figure out how these work.

https://www.costco.com/google-nest-wifi-4-pack---smart-wifi-powered-by-the-google-assistant.product.100517182.html

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-with-advanced-cyber-threat-protection%2c-3-pack.product.100483036.html

Yes, the Google WiFi will fix this too.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I have the Orbi 2 pack system and it works great.  I have one in the basement and one on the main floor.  I have great coverage all over the house and outside.

• Thanks 1

i bought my google system from amazon. i wonder if there are black friday deals for you?

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I have Google Wifi and love it.  I have 3 units downstairs, 1 unit in my garage, and one outside on the front of the house to get coverage to the dock.  I have solid coverage over a 1/2 acre roughly. I did have to concentrate units in my downstairs because my walls are the old style lathe plaster with wire in them.  I don't need a unit upstairs at all though.

• Thanks 1

Any reviews for anyone on the Linksys Velop mesh?  Looking to replace cable company router.  Problem I have is i have to stick with their modem since I have phone service with them.

9 hours ago, Drunken knight said:

i bought my google system from amazon. i wonder if there are black friday deals for you?

$229 for a 2 pack looks like the deal that all the stores are going to offer on the new version.  Best buy, Target, Walmart etc

I won't get into which brand is better since I only have experience with Google, but anyone with any sort of signal issues due to the size of their house should absolutely get a mesh network.  One of the most reliable pieces of tech I can remember buying.  

• Like 2

On 8/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, belljr said:

still an Orbi lover

Just installed an RBK50 in my house this weekend.  So far so good. 

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder
  • Like 2

We have a concrete block house.  Unfortunately, the modem is at one end of the house and there is zero chance of getting a good signal upstairs or at the other end of the house.  Currently, I have a wifi extender in the center of the house to attempt and remedy this situation, but it's spotty at best.  Is it a bad idea to replace the extender with mesh router system and leave the existing wifi in the modem/router combo up also?  I am wondering if there will be interference between the two wireless signals for the parts of the house where they overlap?

4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

We have a concrete block house.  Unfortunately, the modem is at one end of the house and there is zero chance of getting a good signal upstairs or at the other end of the house.  Currently, I have a wifi extender in the center of the house to attempt and remedy this situation, but it's spotty at best.  Is it a bad idea to replace the extender with mesh router system and leave the existing wifi in the modem/router combo up also?  I am wondering if there will be interference between the two wireless signals for the parts of the house where they overlap?

Just make sure the channels for both are different and you should be fine. You’re using the 2nd router (mesh) as an access point, correct?

20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I would turn off the wireless on the modem/router and use a mesh. Most modern wifi routers will autoselect channels based on performance and if you start to manually select it then you'll need to do a ton of metering.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Just make sure the channels for both are different and you should be fine. You’re using the 2nd router (mesh) as an access point, correct?

Yeah...that's the plan.  So, right now, to get signal upstairs, I have a couple of these that work amazingly well by the way.  Saw them recommended in one of these threads.  I have a TV and XBOX plugged into it right now.  I was thinking of taking the XBOX off and beginning the mesh system in my upstairs, having a device up there, then one at the bottom of the stairs to service the living room, kitchen, kids' rooms etc then having the third in our bedroom to cover that side of the house and the outside (my solar panels have a need for wifi connection).  All these locations are a couple rooms away from the room where the modem/router is set up (my office).

1 minute ago, Hawks64 said:

I would turn off the wireless on the modem/router and use a mesh. Most modern wifi routers will autoselect channels based on performance and if you start to manually select it then you'll need to do a ton of metering.

Well, that was my initial thought, but i have xfinity internet and wireless tv boxes that connect only to this particular router consistently.  Xfinity has a set of routers they recommend if I wanted to buy my own...none of them are mesh systems.  I could obviously fix this by getting rid of the boxes and using roku devices, but they are part of a package and mine for two years, no charge and they've been really good once I finally got the correct hardware from xfinity (that's a whole other story).

12 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Well, that was my initial thought, but i have xfinity internet and wireless tv boxes that connect only to this particular router consistently.  Xfinity has a set of routers they recommend if I wanted to buy my own...none of them are mesh systems.  I could obviously fix this by getting rid of the boxes and using roku devices, but they are part of a package and mine for two years, no charge and they've been really good once I finally got the correct hardware from xfinity (that's a whole other story).

Unless something has change you can take the X1 router and make it bridge mode and then use your own router.   Thats what I do

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I have X1 with DVR and satellite boxes etc.  I dont have any issues with the DVR and boxes etc - I think they have their own internal network through the Coaxial....

my x1 is a little older... my DVR need to be replaced the sound drops out and i need to reboot it weekly though :)

Edited by belljr
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, belljr said:
13 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Uness something has change you can take the X1 router and make it bridge mode and then use your own router.   Thats what I do

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I have two xfinity wireless TV boxes that won't connect to a mesh system though.  At least they aren't on the list of supported routers on the xfinity site.

28 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I have two xfinity wireless TV boxes that won't connect to a mesh system though.  At least they aren't on the list of supported routers on the xfinity site.

Ah gotcha

What are the requirements to have a Wireless TV Box?
To have a Wireless TV Box in your home, you'll need Xfinity TV service, at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and Xfinity Internet with an eligible Wireless Gateway (Arris XB3 TG1682G, Arris XB6 TG3482G, Cisco 3941T or Technicolor XB6 CGM4140COM) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

Note: The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Can the Wireless TV Box be my only TV Box?
At this time, the Wireless TV Box is intended for use as a secondary X1 device in your home, in conjunction with a primary X1 TV Box. You must have a primary X1 TV Box plugged in and connected to a coaxial cable jack in your home.

Yeah all my boxes are Coaxialed up :)

I'd just buy a range extender

Edited by belljr

Just now, belljr said:

Ah gotcha

What are the requirements to have a Wireless TV Box?
To have a Wireless TV Box in your home, you'll need Xfinity TV service, at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and Xfinity Internet with an eligible Wireless Gateway (Arris XB3 TG1682G, Arris XB6 TG3482G, Cisco 3941T or Technicolor XB6 CGM4140COM) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

Note: The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Can the Wireless TV Box be my only TV Box?
At this time, the Wireless TV Box is intended for use as a secondary X1 device in your home, in conjunction with a primary X1 TV Box. You must have a primary X1 TV Box plugged in and connected to a coaxial cable jack in your home.

Yeah all my boxes are Coaxialed up :)

Right...thus my plight :wall:

I have NONE that are coax.  I think I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.  There's only one area where the signals could potentially compete and that's my living room.  Upstairs I don't see an issue nor do I see an issue on the other side of the house.  Now the question is which system?  Seeme like either eero or google are the most popular.  I am already completely hooked into google with everything else, so they know my deepest darkest secrets. :mellow: 

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Unless something has change you can take the X1 router and make it bridge mode and then use your own router.   Thats what I do

I have X1 with DVR and satellite boxes etc.  I dont have any issues with the DVR and boxes etc - I think they have their own internal network through the Coaxial....

my x1 is a little older... my DVR need to be replaced the sound drops out and i need to reboot it weekly though :)

You can still do that, but with some modem/routers it can be a pain to get to the right place to turn it off.  I have a personally owned cable modem/router and I've turned off the router capabilities and used an Asus mesh (called Aimesh) system that's been working great.  You can link routers all over your house either wired or wirelessly.  The main router is just that, and the additional ones are called "nodes".  You can roam through the house, and the system will connect you to whichever router/node you get the best signal from.  Best part if you can easily get an older router and add it to your system as a "node".