Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bucky86

Buying a wireless router.

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Ah gotcha

What are the requirements to have a Wireless TV Box?
To have a Wireless TV Box in your home, you'll need Xfinity TV service, at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and Xfinity Internet with an eligible Wireless Gateway (Arris XB3 TG1682G, Arris XB6 TG3482G, Cisco 3941T or Technicolor XB6 CGM4140COM) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

Note: The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Can the Wireless TV Box be my only TV Box?
At this time, the Wireless TV Box is intended for use as a secondary X1 device in your home, in conjunction with a primary X1 TV Box. You must have a primary X1 TV Box plugged in and connected to a coaxial cable jack in your home.

Yeah all my boxes are Coaxialed up :)

I'd just buy a range extender

So that's just total BS.  Just another way for them to charge you $10 a month or whatever for an equipment rental fee. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belljr said:

Unless something has change you can take the X1 router and make it bridge mode and then use your own router.   Thats what I do

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I have X1 with DVR and satellite boxes etc.  I dont have any issues with the DVR and boxes etc - I think they have their own internal network through the Coaxial....

my x1 is a little older... my DVR need to be replaced the sound drops out and i need to reboot it weekly though :)

:goodposting: Did the same thing with mine.

I'm sure there are some combos out there that would work with the wireless boxes.  I am not interested in trying to find them.  That could take weeks.  I do know that I've tried three different routers and none of them worked with the wireless boxes.  I think I'm good with this approach.  This approach allows me to get the increased coverage I need now and not miss a beat when I take the xfinity hardware back after replacing it with my own.

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I'm sure there are some combos out there that would work with the wireless boxes.  I am not interested in trying to find them.  That could take weeks.  I do know that I've tried three different routers and none of them worked with the wireless boxes.  I think I'm good with this approach.  This approach allows me to get the increased coverage I need now and not miss a beat when I take the xfinity hardware back after replacing it with my own.

Well XiFi (xfinity's wireless) has pods you can plug in all over if you want the simple solution.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod-3pack

10 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Well XiFi (xfinity's wireless) has pods you can plug in all over if you want the simple solution.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod-3pack

My goal is to be off cable company hardware once my agreement is up.  So I am laying out the dough to make that happen.  Also have solar panels that are connected to the internet that I need to consider.  I had thought about these, but then realized it's akin to throwing money in the fire.  Goggle system came this AM....will be setting it up today.

I agree with trying to get off of the "rental" equipment.

But it seems it takes 2+ years to really see value of that, no?

By the time I buy a comparable modem/router...Im talking 300+ at least.  Even the advanced xfinity gateway is $15 per month.  So in 20 months I finally recoup what I would pay up front.  And if I have issues...I pay for replacement vs. they replace.

And currently, if I stick with ATT, Im not even paying the rental currently.  Though, I suspect its built into the price I have for my internet currently.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

By the time I buy a comparable modem/router...Im talking 300+ at least.  Even the advanced xfinity gateway is $15 per month.  So in 20 months I finally recoup what I would pay up front.  And if I have issues...I pay for replacement vs. they replace.

And currently, if I stick with ATT, Im not even paying the rental currently.  Though, I suspect its built into the price I have for my internet currently.

Depends on what you're getting.  I got a refurbished modem for $50 or $60 off Amazon 2+ years ago and it's still going strong.  I have two routers in a mesh configuration at my place, both Asus models, and both also purchased used. 

I had all kinds of issues going to Spectrum and streaming. After the third time they came out the guy said, "Our routers suck. If you got your own router it would be much better." 

Enter in Eero Mesh three unit deal on Black Friday special for $160. I put one on each floor and since then, no issues. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, Big League Chew said:

I’ve been using the Asus (RT-AC88U) for about a week. Huge boost in coverage and faster downloads.  Thing is awesome

wifi covers the entire house no issues

gotta say.. love this thing. whole home coverage im very impressed. wifi cameras operating much better than with the previous router as well

Need some advice...

We have xfinity. Two days ago upgrade plan to 1000 mbps.  They exchanged old modem/router for new one (xfi advanced gateway).

We also have a google wifi system.

ethernet clocks in at 248d/41.1u

wifi: has been between 40-250/24..... current= 196/36

on the google network: current= cannot connect to the main network but guest network is at 171.

So, how can I get closer to the the max speeds and why is the mesh suddenly slower than the base xfinity (always has been quicker)?

On 12/17/2019 at 10:05 AM, Big League Chew said:

gotta say.. love this thing. whole home coverage im very impressed. wifi cameras operating much better than with the previous router as well

Mine has been awesome (86u) serving as an access point and hard drive hookup for media in the back of the house. A total workhorse imo. 

Edited by Osaurus

2 hours ago, Drunken knight said:

Need some advice...

We have xfinity. Two days ago upgrade plan to 1000 mbps.  They exchanged old modem/router for new one (xfi advanced gateway).

We also have a google wifi system.

ethernet clocks in at 248d/41.1u

wifi: has been between 40-250/24..... current= 196/36

on the google network: current= cannot connect to the main network but guest network is at 171.

So, how can I get closer to the the max speeds and why is the mesh suddenly slower than the base xfinity (always has been quicker)?

I would set the XFi into bridge mode, you're probably getting a ton of interference between the two. Also, I'd reboot everything and test connected directly to the XFi before bridge mode via ethernet. If you're not getting better speeds I'd call Xfinity.

21 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

I would set the XFi into bridge mode, you're probably getting a ton of interference between the two. Also, I'd reboot everything and test connected directly to the XFi before bridge mode via ethernet. If you're not getting better speeds I'd call Xfinity.

Rebooted.

have connected to the gateway via Ethernet.

factory reset the google WiFi and started over.

did those before posting

Will try the bridge when I get home.

Edited by Drunken knight

2 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

2 hours ago, Drunken knight said:

Will try the bridge when I get home.

enabled the bridge mode.... mesh is a little quicker than before. not as fast as the new network via modem/router.

Edited by Drunken knight

9 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

enabled the bridge mode.... mesh is a little quicker than before. not as fast as the new network via modem/router.

Definitely need to call Xfinity. I am getting 350Mb from mine in bridge with my Orbi. Sames as I was before.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, sho nuff said:

$300??

I bought the Arris SB6183 for $60 on Amazon and it is amazing. No phone connection though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Payne said:

$300??

I bought the Arris SB6183 for $60 on Amazon and it is amazing. No phone connection though.

And then a router?    Yes some cheaper modems out there...but when you add in the router for whole house coverage...its a minimum additional $200

32 minutes ago, Payne said:

$300??

I got one off Facebook marketplace for $20.  Called Comcast with the info and was up and running in 10 minutes.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sho nuff said:

And then a router?    Yes some cheaper modems out there...but when you add in the router for whole house coverage...its a minimum additional $200

Oh my bad. I thought you were only discussing buying a modem. I assumed most everyone has their own router already. 

I had the same payback discussion years ago. But buying your own equipment is the way to go without question. 

Edited by Payne
  • Like 3

I was using those little individual extenders and they were hit and miss.  

Just bought this a few weeks ago and its been working great with no lag or dead spots...

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System – Homecare Support, Seamless Roaming, Adaptive Routing, Up to 5,500 sq. ft. Coverage and 100+ Devices (Deco M5)

Currently $157.49 on Amazon for the three pack.

Edited by Lehigh98

On 12/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, The Commish said:

My goal is to be off cable company hardware once my agreement is up.  So I am laying out the dough to make that happen.  Also have solar panels that are connected to the internet that I need to consider.  I had thought about these, but then realized it's akin to throwing money in the fire.  Goggle system came this AM....will be setting it up today.

Google nest system has been up and running for a few months now....zero complaints.  I have my tv boxes hooked directly to the modem/router from Xfinity and everything else through the mesh system.  I've had no issues.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lehigh98 said:

I was using those little individual extenders and they were hit and miss.  

Just bought this a few weeks ago and its been working great with no lag or dead spots...

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System – Homecare Support, Seamless Roaming, Adaptive Routing, Up to 5,500 sq. ft. Coverage and 100+ Devices (Deco M5)

Currently $157.49 on Amazon for the three pack.

does that replace your router?

6 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

does that replace your router?

Yes

Any opinions on the Linksys Velop mesh?  Looking at the AC6600 one

I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router (purchased 2015) that works decently, but I'm considering the switch to mesh - likely either Google WiFi or Orbi RBK50.  Our internet connection/router is currently on our 2nd floor since that's where our home office is.  The other really important area to have a good internet connection is our basement since that's where our gaming setup is.  It appears that the Orbi has better performance and more ports, but only 1 satellite, whereas Google WiFi is cheaper and has 2 satellites, meaning I could put one on each floor.  Leaning towards giving Google WiFi a shot.  Thoughts?

13 hours ago, Lehigh98 said:

Yes

damn. if i didnt just buy this 200$ router id be all in. i will need to extend my network to the basement / opposite side of the house from the router. 

i gotta figure out the best method for this versus running ethernet 

Edited by Big League Chew

I have not read this whole thread. Maybe someone in the know can save me the time. 

I have an approximate 3,000 sq foot house. My modem is in the office by the garage. So, the furthest spot away from everything else. I have my wifi router in there as well. The wifi was so weak that I needed to buy a wifi extender to feed the house. only the xbox in the basement is hardlined in to modem. 

The issue, is that the extender drops the signal very often these days. So I have to go down, unplug it, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. Im doing this 5-10 times a week. Now, while that is not awful, it is annoying when people are watching youtube, netflix, playing games, riding peloton etc. 

Is there anything out there that gets great reviews so I can replace the wifi extender. 

The nest thing that Lehigh posted looked interesting but a ton of negative reviews. 

Thanks

33 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

I have not read this whole thread. Maybe someone in the know can save me the time. 

I have an approximate 3,000 sq foot house. My modem is in the office by the garage. So, the furthest spot away from everything else. I have my wifi router in there as well. The wifi was so weak that I needed to buy a wifi extender to feed the house. only the xbox in the basement is hardlined in to modem. 

The issue, is that the extender drops the signal very often these days. So I have to go down, unplug it, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. Im doing this 5-10 times a week. Now, while that is not awful, it is annoying when people are watching youtube, netflix, playing games, riding peloton etc. 

Is there anything out there that gets great reviews so I can replace the wifi extender. 

The nest thing that Lehigh posted looked interesting but a ton of negative reviews. 

Thanks

Sounds like we have a similar house layout. We bought an Eero mesh router system and now have great coverage/speed throughout the house. Really any of the mesh systems (Orbi, Eero, Google Nest, I'm sure there are others) would probably solve your problems. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Thanks

Those two don't seem to go together.  Yeah, a mesh system is what you need - and would replace your extender as well as the primary router.

What is your primary router?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Those two don't seem to go together.  Yeah, a mesh system is what you need - and would replace your extender as well as the primary router.

What is your primary router?

I have only had a couple of rides where the wifi disconnected and I was able to jump onto the main wifi and not the extender

I believe my primary router is a Linksys. I would need to go home and double check

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FBG26 said:

Sounds like we have a similar house layout. We bought an Eero mesh router system and now have great coverage/speed throughout the house. Really any of the mesh systems (Orbi, Eero, Google Nest, I'm sure there are others) would probably solve your problems. 

I was having same probs as Acer.  switched to Eero and those problems went away.  I agree that probably any of the mesh would have corrected the drops I was having with using extender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcerFC said:

I have only had a couple of rides where the wifi disconnected and I was able to jump onto the main wifi and not the extender

I believe my primary router is a Linksys. I would need to go home and double check

Ok, reason I ask is that some companies have routers that you can use in a mesh system - I have that with my asus routers.  Not sure if Linksys does or not, and if it's an older router it may not make sense to do it anyway. 

58 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Ok, reason I ask is that some companies have routers that you can use in a mesh system - I have that with my asus routers.  Not sure if Linksys does or not, and if it's an older router it may not make sense to do it anyway. 

My wifi extender is netgear 

My modem from optimum is arris

My wifi router is also Netgear

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

Mesh all the way. You're problems will disappear.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Buy your own modem.  Will save you money. 

• Like 1

So for folks looking at Mesh systems, I went with this ASUS RT-AX92U 2-pack.

I've got a 4,000 sq ft. house not counting the finished basement.  Similar to some of you, the modem (xfinity) is in the office next to the garage on the 1st floor.  Most of the living space is on the other side of the house.  I went with ASUS mesh because 1) I had a pre-existing ASUS router (AC1900) that I could use as another node, and 2) I've had rock-solid stability with my ASUS routers, after years of issues Linksys ones.  My reason for upgrading is that I got tired of low signal upstairs, and the repeater I got for the basement was always dropping.  Also, the ASUS system uses a full-on router at each node, so if one dies, I can still use any of them as the "main" router.

I have 1 router in the office, running off the Xfinity Modem.  The Xfinity Modem wifi is off.  I have 1 router in the basement, and 1 in the Master Bedroom.  Rock-Solid 380 MBPS wirelessly nearly everywhere in the house now.  

The one thing I'd recommend IF YOU CAN is to run Ethernet between the nodes and use wired back-haul.  It greatly increases speeds.  If you don't do that, you either use a lot of your 5mhz band for transmission between the nodes, OR if you have a dedicated 5mhz band for backhaul, it's better, but still not as good as wired.

Two questions - for you XFinity folks...I haven't gotten my own modem because I've heard horror stories about Comcast not supporting aftermarket ones if there are issues. I absolutely detest Comcast, and when I have had an issue, having their modem is the only way I ever got anything fixed.  Any issues with this from anyone running their own modem?  Was set-up hard?  Second question - I currently am on what was the highest data plan available at the time, which is getting me 380mbps.  I heard some mention 1,000 MBPS - is that a new plan, new technology?  I'm wondering now if my current (older) modem is the bottleneck.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fat Nick said:

So for folks looking at Mesh systems, I went with this ASUS RT-AX92U 2-pack.

I've got a 4,000 sq ft. house not counting the finished basement.  Similar to some of you, the modem (xfinity) is in the office next to the garage on the 1st floor.  Most of the living space is on the other side of the house.  I went with ASUS mesh because 1) I had a pre-existing ASUS router (AC1900) that I could use as another node, and 2) I've had rock-solid stability with my ASUS routers, after years of issues Linksys ones.  My reason for upgrading is that I got tired of low signal upstairs, and the repeater I got for the basement was always dropping.  Also, the ASUS system uses a full-on router at each node, so if one dies, I can still use any of them as the "main" router.

I have 1 router in the office, running off the Xfinity Modem.  The Xfinity Modem wifi is off.  I have 1 router in the basement, and 1 in the Master Bedroom.  Rock-Solid 380 MBPS wirelessly nearly everywhere in the house now.  

The one thing I'd recommend IF YOU CAN is to run Ethernet between the nodes and use wired back-haul.  It greatly increases speeds.  If you don't do that, you either use a lot of your 5mhz band for transmission between the nodes, OR if you have a dedicated 5mhz band for backhaul, it's better, but still not as good as wired.

Two questions - for you XFinity folks...I haven't gotten my own modem because I've heard horror stories about Comcast not supporting aftermarket ones if there are issues. I absolutely detest Comcast, and when I have had an issue, having their modem is the only way I ever got anything fixed.  Any issues with this from anyone running their own modem?  Was set-up hard?  Second question - I currently am on what was the highest data plan available at the time, which is getting me 380mbps.  I heard some mention 1,000 MBPS - is that a new plan, new technology?  I'm wondering now if my current (older) modem is the bottleneck.

Great info all around with the Asus mesh (called AImesh), which is what I use at my house.  I did so because I already had an asus router, so I just had to buy another (used) and was able to use the pair as a mesh system - and can expand later if needed with additional routers used as nodes. 

On the wired vs the wireless, you can connect them wired, but they might still be used wirlessly.  Think about it, the max wired transfer speeds is 1,000 mbps - but your routers have a max wireless speed of 4,800 mbps between them (mine are 2,900).  So the wireless route might be faster than wired - but AI mesh will make that call for you with whatever it finds to be better.

On your modem question - My current modem, and even my previous modem were both personally owned to save the rental fee from xfinity.  Heck, my current one I purchased used off facebook for $20 and only needed a 10 minute phone call to comcast to give them the information off of it to get it set up.  Had zero issues with either one.  The vast majority of networking issues are from routers, not modems (which is another reason to use two separate devices).  At worst unplugging the modem and plugging it back in once every few months what as it needed.

What's the model of modem you have now?  Modems (based on the number of channels that they have) have a limit on how fast they can operate.  Mine theoretically tops out at 686 mbps, but my service tier is only ~230 so it's no issue and has room to go faster if I wanted.  You have to see what's actually offered in your area (they don't offer "gig speed" everywhere), and then honestly ask yourself if you need that much speed.  My wife works from home, we often are streaming video to multiple devices simultaneously, and we never have any issue at our current speed. 

20 minutes ago, Fat Nick said:

As long as you purchase a supported modem, you should be fine.  I did this a few years ago.  I'm using a supported Netgear modem that I bought for $50-60 on Amazon.

3 hours ago, Fat Nick said:

I wouldn't say they aren't helpful. But if there is a problem and they have to send someone out and they determine the problem is your equipment, they'll probably charge you for that service call.

Having said that, you might be less likely to need to call them if you can buy better equipment than what they would rent to you. That was true in my case.

Ok, just bought the eero. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Im coming back for a new issue. I decided to buy a modem so I didnt have to rent one anymore. I didnt cheap out, spent about 150. HOWEVER, i didnt realize that I needed a modem with a phone line and the one I bought doesnt have one. 

Anyone have any suggestions so I can keep the modem I bought and still have a phone line (my wife says we would have to pay a restocking fee so Im trying to not waste $15-30)

5 hours ago, AcerFC said:

Ok, just bought the eero. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Im coming back for a new issue. I decided to buy a modem so I didnt have to rent one anymore. I didnt cheap out, spent about 150. HOWEVER, i didnt realize that I needed a modem with a phone line and the one I bought doesnt have one. 

Anyone have any suggestions so I can keep the modem I bought and still have a phone line (my wife says we would have to pay a restocking fee so Im trying to not waste $15-30)

Just so we can make a better recommendation: why do you need a model with a phone line? I can't speak to the quality of either of these, but should give you an idea of what to look for. 

Is your internet DSL? Then you'll need a DSL model.

Do you use VOIP for your home phone? If so, you should be able to use something like this (I think) with your existing modem: magic jack

2 hours ago, FBG26 said:

Just so we can make a better recommendation: why do you need a model with a phone line? I can't speak to the quality of either of these, but should give you an idea of what to look for. 

Is your internet DSL? Then you'll need a DSL model.

Do you use VOIP for your home phone? If so, you should be able to use something like this (I think) with your existing modem: magic jack

As sad as this is, I have no idea what the answers to your question is. 

All I know is that my phone line runs through the modem. I pay the cable company for my phone. 

We can't get rid of it and use our cell phones because we get lousy reception in the house

21 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

All I know is that my phone line runs through the modem. I pay the cable company for my phone. 

We can't get rid of it and use our cell phones because we get lousy reception in the house

So the old modem just had a VOIP adapter built in. You just need a separate ATA/VOIP Adapter and configure it to work with the VOIP service you have.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SPA122-Small-Business-Router/dp/B00684H2EY/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=voip+adapter&qid=1582089861&sr=8-18

On 2/19/2020 at 12:00 AM, AcerFC said:

I have Sprint and the coverage at my home sucks.  I turned on wifi calling, and things are much better.  I also use cordless handsets connected to my cell phone by bluetooth around the home.  That way, I don't have to carry my phone with me, and need to run to catch a call (who calls anymore?).

I was having issues with my internet dropping out several times a day.  Got a new modem from Spectrum (no charge), and that did not clear up the problem. Replaced my nighthawk 6700 with eero pro mesh and it has been rock solid since.  I went overkill with the 3 eero pro set up, but still very happy.