What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players you might want to pass on Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Mr Non Sequitur

Footballguy
Real simple. You drafted them but can't play them or it might be best to wait see a week.

QB: RG3, CK, CAM

RG3 has looked horrific so hopefully you don't have him as your QB1 but even if you did, the 1st week it might be best to let your QB2 do some of the heavy lifting week 1. Ferocious pass rush of Houston, RG3 is gonna have his hands full.

CK has looked equally abysmal. Fell far in several of my drafts, like past Big Ben kind of far on draft boards.

Cam has bruised ribs facing a tough as nails Bucs defense.

These look like potential week 1 let downs, maybe you have more to discuss.

RB: Monte Ball and Chris Johnson, Thomas/Ingram

Ball because of the appendectomy and perhaps the Broncos don't want to rush him back too fast. I think he will have a great 2014, just think he might be on some kind of snap count since he saw no action in the preseason.

Johnson because I want to see this split with Ivory and what we can expect. On the other hand Chris Johnson should light up the Raiders. Maybe CJ is not so bad.

And can we see what is finally going to be the shakeout in NO? Is Ingram a 9th round steal after all?

WR: Reggie Wayne, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Any St L WR,

Wayne coming back from injury

Evans and Watkins highly touted rookies but not sure of the role just yet and how effective they will be. Cooks from NO could be like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne looked rather healthy in the dress rehearsal even it wasn't represented in the box score, I believe both of his catches were called back by penalties. I don't know, I think he'll make for a pretty good flex option in PPR vs. DEN.

Wayne looked rather healthy in the dress rehearsal even it wasn't represented in the box score, I believe both of his catches were called back by penalties. I don't know, I think he'll make for a pretty good flex option in PPR vs. DEN.
35 years old, no chance he is on a snap count week 1?

Aquib in Denver now, their defense is pretty good overall IMO.

Ball had 4 carries and 4 receptions in the Broncos third preseason game. He didn't play in the 4th but assuming he was just being held out (I don't really own him anywhere so not positive on that).

Ball had 4 carries and 4 receptions in the Broncos third preseason game. He didn't play in the 4th but assuming he was just being held out (I don't really own him anywhere so not positive on that).
That's good info, that's what everyone is looking for. Prove my intuition wrong or even the notion of asking. Good stuff.

35 years old, no chance he is on a snap count week 1?

Aquib in Denver now, their defense is pretty good overall IMO.
IND is going to move him around a lot and although Aquib tends to shadow #1s I can foresee Wayne doing most of his damage out of the slot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to absolutely blow up but I think he'll be good for 5-6 receptions and 70-80 yards in what Vegas is projecting to be the highest scoring game of the week. And no, I don't think he'll be on a snap count, he has been exceeding everyone's expectations all summer.

RG3 is the QB that I wonder about. I think the concern over the pre season is way overblown but I acknowledge the chance I am wrong and Houston with Watt and Clowney and their pass defense was actually top 10 in YPA and 3rd in overall yardage against.

I would start Montee Ball with very little concern.

Kap has a dream matchup against Dallas too, that's as good a matchup as he will have all year.

Anyone sitting Eddie Lacy in Seattle?

Of course, depends on your options, but I would consider starting even someone like Trent Richardson against Denver instead

Of course, depends on your options, but I would consider starting even someone like Trent Richardson against Denver instead
The idea fyi is not 1st round types with tough match ups but other factors that maybe we haven't discussed.

Gronk will be on a snap count for instance. Do you trust him?

I'm thinking Jordy in Seattle is bench-worthy. Not comfortable about it, "start your studs" and all, but I can replace him with a decent player with a juicier match up, so I might do that.

I would never bench Jordy with a healthy Rodgers. They are just too good together. Seattle's D is good, but not shut down. Sherman is no Deion Sanders :)

Gronk and RG3 really interest me in this subject. RG3 I can easily see being shut down by Watt and Clowney wrecking havoc on Washington's sometimes shaky OL. Gronk even in a limited snap count could put up easy TE1 numbers. I'll probably play it safe with him this week and bench.

Geez I got cj and ball in one league. I thought they were both strong plays

I am wondering if I should sit djax though

People are crazy to contemplate benching Lacy, Nelson or any other key Packers just because they're playing Seattle. Classic overthinking.

No guarantee that Seattle's D will be as dominant as last year, and the Packers can put up points on anyone.

People are crazy to contemplate benching Lacy, Nelson or any other key Packers just because they're playing Seattle. Classic overthinking.

No guarantee that Seattle's D will be as dominant as last year, and the Packers can put up points on anyone.
Exactly. I thought this was the shark pool?

One or all of the QB calls are going to be misses

CK plays Dallas

Cam vs that "tough as nails" defense last year...

averaged 242 yards passing, 2 pass TDs, 59 rush yards, 1 rush TD

thats a 30+ point week in most leagues

RG3... He is clearly struggling running a pro style offense. Will they stick with the pro style gameplan vs a good HOU pass rush? I have my doubts that they will. RG3 should be on the move and is just a scramble or two from a big day.

I'd say any of the rookie WRs. Want to see how they are used in their offenses before I'd feel comfortable starting Watkins, Evans or Cooks. Chances are you probably have better options anyway.

RG3... He is clearly struggling running a pro style offense. Will they stick with the pro style gameplan vs a good HOU pass rush? I have my doubts that they will. RG3 should be on the move and is just a scramble or two from a big day.
As a Skins fan, I'm a little nervous starting RG3 in the one league I have him in this week. However, I agree with you in that I think Gruden will find ways to make RG3 effective. I could see alot of short quick passes to open the game and make the defense not be as agressive. I would also expect to see some rollouts to get him away from the pass rush and make him only have to read one side of the field. Gruden seems to be a pretty smart offensive mind.

CK plays Dallas

Yeah. Not too worried about Cam this week but I am torn between starting him or Rivers vs. Arizona.

Something else to consider regarding CK....

He injured his foot week 2 (week 1 he put up 412/3TDs vs Green Bay) and he was also without Crabtree

After Crabtree returned his floor became much higher (something like 13 TDs in 8 games).

They added Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Bruce Ellington.

With a healthy foot I still don't think we quite know what his ceiling is considering his playoff rushing performances.

I'm thinking Jordy in Seattle is bench-worthy. Not comfortable about it, "start your studs" and all, but I can replace him with a decent player with a juicier match up, so I might do that.
LEt me ask a question, do juicy matchups always work out?

Bench your stud week 1, let me know how that works out for you.

Chances are, if you are considering benching studs week 1, you wont have to worry about who you start week 14.

ETA: Now that I say that Nelson will go 3 for 28 and no scores, I own him in a few leagues. <_<

I'm rolling the dice on Evans as a flex.

TEs are going to stay in to block against the CAR front seven. That leaves Martin, VJax and ??? in the passing game. Looking at the Bucs depth chart Evans seems like the best third option. (Unless there's something about Herron and Murphy I'm missing.)

Evans could easily go 3/45/0 but a jump ball in the end zone makes 6/70/1 a distinct possibility.

It always seems to take about 3-4 weeks for some consistency to settle for fantasy purposes. However, I can't say I agree with benching any of the guys mentioned in the OP (if they are your best players) except for the St. Louis WRs, because I don't think there will be any consistency in St. Louis all year. Just my opinion though.

My mentality is always start your best players no matter what. I understand that there are some question marks surrounding the guys mentioned, but preseason has become so watered down that you can barely make any reads from it. I will just assume that if their NFL team is starting them, then so should I. Week 1 is a total crapshoot. No sense in trying to predict anything because anything can and will happen. I would be more upset with myself for benching Cam for my backup QB and watching Cam blow up, than if I played him and he put up a dud. Week 1 is the time you can take a chance and still recover if you lose. I'll take the chance that my studs produce.

ETA: Bolded portion

Not a lot of love for Jordy in the rankings so far this week but hard for me to sit him. I think he stills snags a TD or two. Seattle's D is tough but it's not going to be unstoppable. Plus I think the 5 yrd grab rule will have the zebras throwing flag after flag on the SEA secondary. Not that I agree with that but it could open things up for Jordy.

Exactly the same issue with me. I have Jordy and promised to 'start my studs' this season, BUT I have Emanuel Sanders on my bench with Welker out and at home to Indy. I'm leaning towards putting Sanders in only because the stars have kind of aligned for him to have a breakout.

Another mentioned one - RG3 and Big Ben are my Qbs and I'm considering starting Big Ben

Sankey is one. Most likely he's just a flex option for most teams anyways unless you went zero RB, but I think we need to give him time before throwing him in there. I'm not real high on his talent, but he's still more talented that Green so should eventually take over the lions share of the carries. He should be on your bench until we see it though.

Even Richard Sherman cannot stop the Rodgers to Jordy back shoulder timing throw. That thing is UNSTOPPABLE.

Moreover, I was hearing that Baldwin was toasting Sherman a few times in practice. Sherman is really good, but beatable.

While that's generally true, SEA is very tough at home. I wouldn't bench Lacy or Nelson, but I do think you have to temper your expectations.

I'd say any of the rookie WRs. Want to see how they are used in their offenses before I'd feel comfortable starting Watkins, Evans or Cooks. Chances are you probably have better options anyway.
A rookie WR in his first NFL game is not a money play. I mean other than Boldin and nobody but Switz saw that coming. Two of the highest touted rookies in years at WR were Julio Jones and AJ Green. Julio had 5 catches for 71 yards his first game and followed that up with a sub 30 yard performance in week 2. AJ Green had a single catch his first game. It was a 41 yarder for a TD, but neither of those are strong numbers and I liked both of them more than Watkins coming out of college. Full disclosure, I drafted all three of those players in my main league.

Leave the rook WR's on the bench week 1.

I wouldn't bench any of those QBs. I think the reinvigorated Tampa Bay d will get to Cam a couple times and he may not be as strong into the pile with his ribs banged up, but I expect those to become an issue later in the season if he can't heal and keeps taking punishment. Week 1 shouldn't be a big deal.

Kaep vs. Dallas is one of the best matchups of the week. Not going to put an lot of weight in the preseason with the way he was playing last year once Crabtree returned to the lineup. He has the chance to make the leap this year.

Maybe you sit Griffin, but I'd only do it if you have a very strong backup, like Wilson or Cutler. Houston's d was not that strong last year and I don't expect Clowney to really boost it that soon. Plus, DeSean adds a big threat outside, and either he or Garçon will be seeing Johnathan Joseph, who's had some toe issues and is reported to be not back to 100% yet. I seem to remember the Texans having trouble with slot receivers last year too, so one of those guys or Reed should present an advantage. I guess he's the weakest of these three dual threat QBs for week 1.

On receivers, I could see Keenan Allen having a rough week 1 against Patrick Peterson, but I'd probably play him. I would start either of the Packers receivers since I don't think it's likely that both of them get totally contained.

I'm rolling the dice on Evans as a flex.

TEs are going to stay in to block against the CAR front seven. That leaves Martin, VJax and ??? in the passing game. Looking at the Bucs depth chart Evans seems like the best third option. (Unless there's something about Herron and Murphy I'm missing.)

Evans could easily go 3/45/0 but a jump ball in the end zone makes 6/70/1 a distinct possibility.
I am thinking about benching VJax against the Panthers

A rookie WR in his first NFL game is not a money play. I mean other than Boldin and nobody but Switz saw that coming. Two of the highest touted rookies in years at WR were Julio Jones and AJ Green. Julio had 5 catches for 71 yards his first game and followed that up with a sub 30 yard performance in week 2. AJ Green had a single catch his first game. It was a 41 yarder for a TD, but neither of those are strong numbers and I liked both of them more than Watkins coming out of college. Full disclosure, I drafted all three of those players in my main league.

Except for the ones who are one of only two legitimate options. (Benjamin)

Vincent Jackson

Carolina has a great defense and there dline is sick. I can totally see Jackson put up a 2/24 stat line.

I particularly don't start raw WR's in week 1 of their first game. Even if they are the only legitimate options.

I have Jordy in two leagues and you bet your ### I'm starting him.

God no

I did not realize rookie WRs have a historically rough go in the first couple of weeks. But it makes sense (jitters, the speed of the game, etc.).

Thanks for the education. You've given me a lot to think about.

I particularly don't start raw WR's in week 1 of their first game. Even if they are the only legitimate options.
Well sir, I shall be overdrinking in wild anticipation of your inaccuracy this week 1. Good day.

Well sir, I shall be overdrinking in wild anticipation of your inaccuracy this week 1. Good day.
Hey, I hope I'm wrong and he has a great week and you win in a route.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and he has a great week and you win in a route.
:thumbup:

I can't imagine any scenario where I'm benching the RB I probably took in the first round, or at latest the second, in Ball.

I can't imagine any scenario where I'm benching a guy who had to be drafted as my starting QB when he plays the Dallas Cowboys. If you can't start him that week, he's just plain unusable.

Vincent Jackson

Carolina has a great defense and there dline is sick. I can totally see Jackson put up a 2/24 stat line.
I'm thinking about benching Doug Martin. I'm also trying to decide if I should start Keenan Allen, who's matched up against Patrick Peterson.

Im starting him, but Lacy makes me nervous. I remember last preseason when GB played the Hawks and the speed of the Hawks and tackling just destroyed Lacy. Hopefully he gets a TD to negate the lack of yards but Im not confident.

CK plays Dallas

Yeah. Not too worried about Cam this week but I am torn between starting him or Rivers vs. Arizona.
I have that exact same duo, and am leaning toward Newton.

I agree with the rookie receivers for the most part. And I also agree about RG3 being a questionable play, but many of the points I disagree with. You've definitely created some good discussion here, though.

-Kaep probably has one of the best weeks of the season this week against the putrid Cowboy D. And he has a healthy Crabtree who gets more looks than a bra-less playmate coming out of a freezer.

-Cam, even with lingering rib issue, is a solid starter. Unless you're sitting on two top 12QBs. For example I'd be okay starting Cutler or Foles over Cam this week for a higher floor.

-CJ2k, also, probably has one of his best games of the season against Oakland this week. big plus in PPRs. I also think NYJ D will be ravaging Carr/Oakland so they will have a huge possession %age which means more runs, esp if NYJ are up.

-Ball's appendectomy is like not even a week recovery time. He may not blow our minds this week but I'm not sitting him for anything other than a top 4 RB. This game should be a high scoring shootout with an above avg goalline carry amount.

-Thomas/Ingram I will likely agree with for week 1. Even though I think with the way Ingram looks this year, he's likely to carve a solid role for himself with PThomas sprinkled in while filling more of the Darren Sprole's role.

Here are some players that I would likely look to sit in Week 1:

-Any Carolina RB. Buccs run D is just too good (only 4 rush TDs allowed last year) and I'm not sure who is lead this year; plus Cam has a nose for the endzone within 5yds. (for example Cam went 11-50-1 rushing last year against Carolina; additionally threw 221yd 2tds)

-If you have the depth I'd consider sitting Wallace. I think the NE corners are strong and him and Tannehill have yet to connect like Big Ben and Wallace used to. This is just playing the assumption game of course. He could very well have a great game but I haven't seen anything from the Dolphins specifically that I am loving, yet, even if the Dolphins are at home.

-Rashad Jennings against Detroit D. Other than L. McCoy, no running back broke 100Ryds, v Detroit last year. Which included the likes of AP, Lacy, Forte, Leveon Bell, and Ray Rice. I gladly sit Jennings/ NYG rbs at the very least for this week. Although I would expect Jennings to have a bit more value in PPR, I still don't think it's enough to justify a start.

-Bishop Sankey; this summer he was super hyped on the boards, etc. But after preseason and camp it's sounding like his 'solid start' is more of a 'solid ?'. Add in that Greene lost 5-10 pounds this offseason and is moving much better on his previously injured knee, I think we will again see a RBBC approach, for now.

Users who are viewing this thread