What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players you might want to pass on Week 1 (1 Viewer)

I'm having some reservations with Alfred Morris @ Houston. That front 4 could wreck havoc on that team and considering Alf ain't catching, I could see a week 1 bust coming. I gotta hope for a 1 yard plunge I'm thinking. I'm not going to over think it because my next best option this week is Ingram and I have to see it to believe it there.

Keenan Allen vs. Patrick Peterson.
This is one I mentioned as a maybe earlier in the thread. Skimming Cardinals box scores last year, it was rare for more than one receiver to blow up on them, but common for at least one guy to have a big day. Is that all Peterson shadowing the low-performer? For example, Boldin destroyed them in week 17 while Crabtree was quiet, while VD wrecked them while Boldin was quiet in their earlier meeting. Perhaps a Cards fan or a more diligent NFC West watcher can provide some more insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting RG3 in favor of *gulp*...Geno Smith. :( That pass rush of HOU scares me and I fear RG3 may even end up hurt. With that said though, he'll probably light up the score board.

Another QB you might consider sitting...Andrew Luck. Their O line is a HUGE concern. They've lost two starters due to injury from what was already a horrible line. They've been signing FAs and making them starters from day one. They are playing against Denver IN Denver on the Sunday night game. Broncos are gonna be licking their chops. The run game will go no where and Luck will be running for his life.

I'm sitting MJD against the NYJ defense.

Sitting Mike Wallace against Revis also.

-Rashad Jennings against Detroit D. Other than L. McCoy, no running back broke 100Ryds, v Detroit last year. Which included the likes of AP, Lacy, Forte, Leveon Bell, and Ray Rice. I gladly sit Jennings/ NYG rbs at the very least for this week. Although I would expect Jennings to have a bit more value in PPR, I still don't think it's enough to justify a start.
Peterson had 93 and 2 td's week 1, Asiata went for 115 week 17, Lacy went for 99, Forte 95/1td. Yes they also were stout in other games but don't say they can't be run on.

I drafted Cam at a pretty big discount with the expectation he's back to his top-5 ways by the second half of the season. If I had a legit backup with a plus matchup, I'd consider giving Cam a wait-and-see week, but as others have said that feels like overthinking it.

If you're thinking about benching Cam for (just spitballing): Geno vs. OAK, Alex Smith vs. TEN, Hoyer @ PIT, Tannehill vs NE... feels misguided to me.

I drafted Cam at a pretty big discount with the expectation he's back to his top-5 ways by the second half of the season. If I had a legit backup with a plus matchup, I'd consider giving Cam a wait-and-see week, but as others have said that feels like overthinking it.

If you're thinking about benching Cam for (just spitballing): Geno vs. OAK, Alex Smith vs. TEN, Hoyer @ PIT, Tannehill vs NE... feels misguided to me.
I'd like to as well, but my other option is RGIII. Another wait and see.

Bench your studs.
LOL! Yay, I know...unheard of. But it may be better off to play the matchups in week 1. Defenses are usually ahead of offenses earlier in the season. And a lot of the supposed "studs" haven't looked very studly...lots of question marks out there.

People are crazy to contemplate benching Lacy, Nelson or any other key Packers just because they're playing Seattle. Classic overthinking.
Agreed. Plus, because Sherman always plays the same side and doesn't move around to shadow the best WR, I doubt the Packers will just throw Nelson over there all game. They'll do what the Broncos did with D. Thomas in the Super Bowl and move him all around so he has a chance to make plays. Granted, I don't think Nelson and Cobb are gonna have big games, but I think they'll both be good enough. I don't see a 2-10-0 stat line out of either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bench your studs.
LOL! Yay, I know...unheard of. But it may be better off to play the matchups in week 1. Defenses are usually ahead of offenses earlier in the season. And a lot of the supposed "studs" haven't looked very studly...lots of question marks out there.
That's funny, I have often thought that the offenses have the advantage early in the year. That is why you see some #3 receivers have a huge week and then disappear.

-Rashad Jennings against Detroit D. Other than L. McCoy, no running back broke 100Ryds, v Detroit last year. Which included the likes of AP, Lacy, Forte, Leveon Bell, and Ray Rice. I gladly sit Jennings/ NYG rbs at the very least for this week. Although I would expect Jennings to have a bit more value in PPR, I still don't think it's enough to justify a start.
Peterson had 93 and 2 td's week 1, Asiata went for 115 week 17, Lacy went for 99, Forte 95/1td. Yes they also were stout in other games but don't say they can't be run on.
I didn't say they couldn't be ran on at any point of my post, I was just pointing out that they were rather effective in stopping the rungame against superb RBs. And yeah Peterson blew them up week 1, this is AP we're talking about, not Rashad Jennings. And if you remember correctly or were watching the game, AP had like a 60yd+ rusTD on like his first drive of the season. Asiata had a fluke 3 tds that game in week 17 which doesn't matter to almost anyone for fantasy's sake. The players other than Asiata that you mention are all within the top6 RBs in the league PPR/not. I still stick with my expectation.

Hoot McGoot said:
montana_grizzly_bears said:
Hoot McGoot said:
I didn't say they couldn't be ran on at any point of my post, I was just pointing out that they were rather effective in stopping the rungame against superb RBs. And yeah Peterson blew them up week 1, this is AP we're talking about, not Rashad Jennings. And if you remember correctly or were watching the game, AP had like a 60yd+ rusTD on like his first drive of the season. Asiata had a fluke 3 tds that game in week 17 which doesn't matter to almost anyone for fantasy's sake. The players other than Asiata that you mention are all within the top6 RBs in the league PPR/not. I still stick with my expectation.
No but you did say that only 1person broke 100 on them and then listed other players like they did horrible. I cpuntered with a list of players including 3 you listed that faired pretty well even though they didn't break 100. And you cannot just discount Asiata because it was week 17 and didn't matter to fantasy. I have tempered feelings about Jennings but i am willing to bet he approaches 80 yards and a td. Just fine for me from a rb2. And that doesn't count the receptions.

Hoot McGoot said:
montana_grizzly_bears said:
Hoot McGoot said:
No but you did say that only 1person broke 100 on them and then listed other players like they did horrible. I cpuntered with a list of players including 3 you listed that faired pretty well even though they didn't break 100. And you cannot just discount Asiata because it was week 17 and didn't matter to fantasy. I have tempered feelings about Jennings but i am willing to bet he approaches 80 yards and a td. Just fine for me from a rb2. And that doesn't count the receptions.
And tweaks a hammy and will be a GTD in week 2.

If you drafted any of these guys in the first five or six rounds, you're starting them Week 1 (unless they have serious injuries).

Warpig said:
matuski said:
Bench your studs.
I'd suggest the opposite. First of all, they are studs for a reason. Also, every year defenses that are supposed to be great end up bad and defenses that are supposed to be bad end up great. You can't play the match-up if you don't know what the match-up is.

Week 1 you play your studs and then later on when you have a better feel for every team you can try to start getting cute with match-ups.

Warpig said:
matuski said:
Bench your studs.
I'd suggest the opposite. First of all, they are studs for a reason. Also, every year defenses that are supposed to be great end up bad and defenses that are supposed to be bad end up great. You can't play the match-up if you don't know what the match-up is.

Week 1 you play your studs and then later on when you have a better feel for every team you can try to start getting cute with match-ups.
Got a newsletter?

I'm hoping RG3 will be passing on Houston.

In all seriousness I would like to take a wait and see approach on him as he looked pretty indecisive during preseason, but alas I have no backup so I'm rolling with him.

Warpig said:
matuski said:
Bench your studs.

Got a newsletter?
The guy said he was thinking of playing match-ups week 1 and I told him why I thought it was a bad idea. :shrug:

JFS171 said:

Big Ben an option vs Cleveland?

SameSongNDance said:
[icon] said:
Would you say these guys are exploitable or avoidable?
:goodposting:

if only we had MINISTRY OF PAIN to create these types of threads.... This Non Sequitur guy pales in comparison :whistle:
Wait, Non Sequitur is MOP? OHHHH
The crack team of sharks in here has an unbelievable imagination. I couldn't piece the MOP thing together but I see what they are trying to say. That's terrible, no one wants that kind of notoriety.

Nero said:
I'm starting Roethlisberger over Rodgers this week.
you sound pretty terrible at FF
Yeah, let's forget about defensive YTY turnover for a second and just look at the history. PIT/CLE games are almost always extremely low scoring affairs, you do not start Big Ben vs. CLE.
Wasn't even a tough decision. Ben is a good QB with a much better matchup.
Let's see..

vs. CLE 280/2/1 final score 14-3

@ CLE 221/0/0 final score 13-9

didn't play final score 20-14

vs. CLE 134/3/0 final score 24-10

@ CLE 217/2/0 final score 27-11

vs. CLE 179/1/2 final score 20-7

That match-up sure seems a ton better to me! I'm betting my house on the under.

I'm having some reservations with Alfred Morris @ Houston. That front 4 could wreck havoc on that team and considering Alf ain't catching, I could see a week 1 bust coming. I gotta hope for a 1 yard plunge I'm thinking. I'm not going to over think it because my next best option this week is Ingram and I have to see it to believe it there.
Morris is the Redskin I'm least worried about against Houston. The Redskin O-line isn't good at pass blocking but they're pretty good at run blocking on the move, and Morris is great at reading his blocks.

Wide receiver Michael Crabtree was held out of practice Wednesday due to a calf injury, the 49ers disclosed on their mandatory participation report.

It's the second leg injury for Crabtree from the start of training camp up to the 49ers' first regular-season game. He sustained a hamstring injury that kept in out of action for 16 days during training camp. Crabtree's availability for the regular-season opener on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys is not known.

Nero said:
I'm starting Roethlisberger over Rodgers this week.
you sound pretty terrible at FF
Yeah, let's forget about defensive YTY turnover for a second and just look at the history. PIT/CLE games are almost always extremely low scoring affairs, you do not start Big Ben vs. CLE.
Wasn't even a tough decision. Ben is a good QB with a much better matchup.
Let's see..

vs. CLE 280/2/1 final score 14-3

@ CLE 221/0/0 final score 13-9

didn't play final score 20-14

vs. CLE 134/3/0 final score 24-10

@ CLE 217/2/0 final score 27-11

vs. CLE 179/1/2 final score 20-7

That match-up sure seems a ton better to me! I'm betting my house on the under.
The last time we saw the Seahawks defense, they were holding Peyton Manning to 280/1/2 on a neutral field. Rodgers faced them in Seattle in 2012 and went 223/0/0. Give me Ben in this scenario.

Wide receiver Michael Crabtree was held out of practice Wednesday due to a calf injury, the 49ers disclosed on their mandatory participation report.

It's the second leg injury for Crabtree from the start of training camp up to the 49ers' first regular-season game. He sustained a hamstring injury that kept in out of action for 16 days during training camp. Crabtree's availability for the regular-season opener on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys is not known.
If Crabtree is a no go that wouldn't bode well for CK.

I'm starting Foles over Rodgers.

Rodgers against SEA, in SEA, where that D always seems to elevate their game.

Foles against JAX in Philly. Kelly strikes me as one to make this a statement game aka Belichick circa 2007.

Drafted Foles simply as value and future trade bait. Did not anticipate starting him over Rodgers, ever, but I cannot ignore the higher floor and ceiling for Foles this week...

Ball had 4 carries and 4 receptions in the Broncos third preseason game. He didn't play in the 4th but assuming he was just being held out (I don't really own him anywhere so not positive on that).
That's good info, that's what everyone is looking for. Prove my intuition wrong or even the notion of asking. Good stuff.
You're looking for people to point out the misinformation that is the basis of your OP? Don't you think it might be better to just get it right in the first place?

ESPN has Nelson as their #10 WR for this week and Cobb as their #11 WR for this week. This makes no sense to me up against the Seattle defense in Seattle. Yeah, new rule enforcement, blah blah blah. The Seahawks gave up 172 yards passing a game last year. In the pass happy league it is now, that's insane.

ESPN has Nelson as their #10 WR for this week and Cobb as their #11 WR for this week. This makes no sense to me up against the Seattle defense in Seattle. Yeah, new rule enforcement, blah blah blah. The Seahawks gave up 172 yards passing a game last year. In the pass happy league it is now, that's insane.
I don't think the Seahawks can contain both of those guys. Rodgers/Cobb/Nelson is a monster trio; I'd say that you bench your Packers WRs only if you have clearly better options. One of them is very likely to do some damage.

Andre Johnson, TY Hilton and Demaryius Thomas all had big statistical games against Seattle's D last year. And they didn't face Megatron, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, the Chicago WRs or Antonio Brown last year, so while it's true that Seattle's defense is beastly, big time WRs can get theirs against them.

Film Study: How the Seahawks made Aaron Rodgers see ghosts in 2012

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24692864/film-study-how-the-seahawks-made-aaron-rodgers-see-ghosts-in-2012

I am not advocating the benching of Rodgers, just be aware that the match-up is less than ideal.
Per the article the reason Seattle was able to get to Rodgers because Seattle didn’t think that the Packers were going to run the ball or stick to the run. The Seahawks got 8 sacks in the 1st half but the Packers were able to slow them down in the 2nd half by running the ball more

That was 2012 the Packers didn’t have Eddie Lacy. I would imagine that the Packers are more willing to run the ball now

On the Kaep against Dallas front. SF's D is going to be a shell of last year. Dallas has an offense and no D. This could very well be a monumental shoot out. Like 35 to 31 type shootout. This bodes well for both QB's.

Whole lotta overthinking going on in this thread.

SALY
Especially for week one.

Play the guys you drafted to start, especially your #1s.

People really suggesting you sit Montee Ball? And, who has better option at WR if they drafted Cobb and/or Nelson?

Morris is the Redskin I'm least worried about against Houston. The Redskin O-line isn't good at pass blocking but they're pretty good at run blocking on the move, and Morris is great at reading his blocks.
I agree he may be the "least" worrisome player but I still don't think he's a good play this week.

Users who are viewing this thread