What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Olive Garden - Unlimited Pasta/Salad for 7 weeks for $100 (1 Viewer)

kentric

Footballguy
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/07/olive-garden-never-ending-pasta-casual-dining-restaurants/15139803/

Olive Garden is about to try a pretty outlandish gimmick to lure folks in the door: pasta up the kazoo.

They're not calling it that, of course. But on Monday, the casual dining chain whose business has seriously softened in recent years, will announce plans for its first-ever "Never Ending Pasta Pass" -- which, for $100, gives the holder the right to consume all of the pasta, salad, bread and Coca-Cola branded soft drinks that they can stuff down for seven weeks.

But you may need to act fast. Only 1,000 of these pasta passes will be sold -- beginning Monday at 3 p.m. ET -- online via the Olive Garden web site. Nothing like being one of 1,000 VIP's who can gorge on pasta for 49 days in a row. The PR stunt piggybacks with the chain's annual "Never Ending Pasta Bowl" promo, Sept. 22 through Nov. 9., which lets folks eat all the pasta they want for $9.99.

Lunch and dinner everyday for seven weeks for 1.02 per meal. What could possibly go wrong?

Too bad there's not one nearby; it's my oldest son's favorite restaurant.
Just go drop him off and leave him. You can pick him up a few weeks before Thanksgiving, so he'll have enough time to get his appetite back.

If he's a teenager, I imagine a $100 to feed him for almost 2 months would be a great investment.

I wonder what the pass would bring in on ebay/craigslist if you could get one.
Actually I have a "better" idea. There's an olive garden within walking distance of my office. I could start a kickstarter to eat lunch there every week day and blog the whole thing (pics, weight gain, etc). There's no telling what the kickstarter would bring in. That potato salad kick starter is at $55k now.

Last edited by a moderator:
mquinnjr said:
Bogart said:
Lunch and dinner everyday for seven weeks for 1.02 per meal. What could possibly go wrong?
Well, is this the cost basis for the gratuity/meal? Gotta hammer out the small, fine print such as this.
Typically, you pay a gratuity on what the bill would be before any discount.

I love Olive Garden. I'm not afraid to say it. Those breadsticks and salad are to die for. And the food is pretty good. I live in an area that is filled with Italians and Italian restaurants. Some very, very good ones. And I love Italian food. But I also love OG. The same way I love Mexican food, but also really enjoy Taco Bell.

When I go to TB or OG, I'm not expecting authentic food. That doesn't mean it can't still be good.

I love Olive Garden. I'm not afraid to say it. Those breadsticks and salad are to die for. And the food is pretty good. I live in an area that is filled with Italians and Italian restaurants. Some very, very good ones. And I love Italian food. But I also love OG. The same way I love Mexican food, but also really enjoy Taco Bell.

When I go to TB or OG, I'm not expecting authentic food. That doesn't mean it can't still be good.
:goodposting:

I could go there and just eat the breadsticks, salad and chicken gnocchi soup... :wub:

I could go there and just eat the breadsticks, salad and chicken gnocchi soup... :wub:
You strike me as more of a Pasta Fagioli kind of guy... NTTAWWT

This.

And for me and my wife, it holds some sentimental value as it's the "nice" restaurant we would always go to on Saturday night date nights back when we were broke college kids.

I had to google Pasta Fagioli ... lol..

I had to google Pasta Fagioli ... lol..
:D

I feel bad for the "wacky, crazy Internet reporter" that gets to write about using this pass everyday for 7 weeks straight.

My wife and I went to OG on our first date and on the night I proposed. We only swing by once every couple of years, but it still holds some sentimental value for us.

Where are all the anti-OliveGarden snobs? They are usually on a like this in mass. OG is what is is, cheap non-authentic Italian food.

Damn, wish I could have taken advantage of this. I can almost throw a rock from work and hit the nearest Olive Garden. I'd milk the #### out of that pass for 7 weeks. Lunch? Done. Dinner? Done.

Olive Garden used to be a decent, run of the mill chain restaurant. They were wildly successful, I remember the one near my folks place used to have 1.5 hour waits. I believe the quality of food diminished over time to the point where it became pretty terrible and then a sort of organic thing happened where liking Olive Garden became synonymous with being an unsophisticated rube... and here we are.

This.

And for me and my wife, it holds some sentimental value as it's the "nice" restaurant we would always go to on Saturday night date nights back when we were broke college kids.
I wouldn't go as far as saying I lived it but I agree with this. Used to be for fancy date nights in college. And we went to the one in San Antonio on the Riverwalk for V Day four or five years in a row.

Olive Garden used to be a decent, run of the mill chain restaurant. They were wildly successful, I remember the one near my folks place used to have 1.5 hour waits. I believe the quality of food diminished over time to the point where it became pretty terrible and then a sort of organic thing happened where liking Olive Garden became synonymous with being an unsophisticated rube... and here we are.
Atkins also happened

Olive Garden isn't bad but it's a little overpriced IMO. We have several nice local authentic Italian restaurants here in Philly that are similarly priced to OG but much better quality.

cheap non-authentic Italian food.
They charge you 15 bucks for spaghetti and meatballs.

Not cheap
Not related, but my buddy and I were in Midtown Manhattan and went to a local pizza joint (near Rock Center) we used to go to quite a bit for lunch. He figured he'd try something different and noticed they offered spaghetti and meatballs. He tells the guy behind the counter that he'd like the S&M. The pizza guy reaches under the counter, puts a plate of S&M on the counter. Was rather amusing, although it may be one of those - you've got to have been there to appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread