What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you believe the NFL did not see the tape of Ray Rice (1 Viewer)

Yes or No

• Yes, I believe the NFL did not see the video of Ray Rice actually hitting his fiance

Votes: 68 15.8%
  • No, the NFL is lying

Votes: 362 84.2%

• Total voters

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
The NFL officially denied seeing the video released today of Ray Rice actually punching and knocking out his then fiance and now wife. Do you believe them?

I know theres already a thread about the video leak and then Rice's release/ suspension so lets keep this talk more about the NFL than Rice, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only do I think they're lying, but I think the only reason they suddenly changed their domestic violence policy is because they knew the tape was leaked to TMZ and they wanted to get out in front of it. They knew what the public reaction would be and that led to Goodell admitting the suspension was too light. Had to look tough at that point.

Obviously the NFL knew and tried to cover it up because Rice has always kind of been one of the 'good ol' boys'. They are reacting like this now because of it getting leaked.

Even if they hadn't actually seen it, but the video was sent to them now after the Rice ruling they wouldn't have changed his sentence. It's only because of it being public now. Goodell is a joke and really should be pushed out as Commish.

My guess is the NFL and TMZ are in negotiations as we speak and the NFL will cough up major bucks in the cover up

If the NFL is exposed for lying and trying to cover their posteriors, I will not be surprised to see some high profile heads roll. This entire thing stinks.

I absolutely do not believe that line of bs. The league office saw it and so did the ravens.

But the real issue here is: why did they need to see a video of the knockout punch to act out this release and suspension? They certainly knew that he cold clocked her and knocked her unconscious.

The fact that they did not act then and acted today only shows how disingenuous their actions were. They didn't release and suspend him BC of morality. They did it BC it became an absolute PR sh$storm after the video came out.

NFL officials did not suspend Ray Rice indefinitely because they saw the video. [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]NFL officials suspended Ray Rice indefinitely because you saw the video.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]An organization as powerful as the NFL most definitely had access to that video, and they most definitely viewed it before adjudicating.[/SIZE]

I obviously in the minority here now that it's 30 to 4. I'm assuming the NFL said they didn't see the video sometime today? Why would they lie about that when it could so easily be proven that it was released to them?

I obviously in the minority here now that it's 30 to 4. I'm assuming the NFL said they didn't see the video sometime today? Why would they lie about that when it could so easily be proven that it was released to them?
How do you proof it?
Who ever released it to them comes out and says so. I could see a cover up if they had it all along, but I assume it was in the DA's possession along with whoever owned the camera.

I don't see how the NFL benefits from a cover up in the first place. Rice isn't a star and they really don't care about the players that much. They care more about not pissing off the union and ending up in court.

I don't believe the NFL saw the tape. It would be insane for them to lie about this. After all, they are the ones who have been counseling everyone else over the years that "it's not the crime as much as it is the coverup".

That being said I think they were derelict in their responsibility to somehow obtain and view the video. Either way, it's a fireable offense for Goodell and I think it will end up costing him his job.

For real? These guys aren't some CIA/NSA operation with much knowledge beyond ours.

I remember the writer who spent the pre-draft process with the meetings from the Browns ownership and how he mentioned they spent 90% of their time watching ESPN for updates. These guys aren't some know-alls keeping stuff under wraps.

It's ridiculous to insinuate they saw the full video and only gave him two games.

Dumbest thread I've seen on here in months... and that's saying a lot.

Gary Coal Man said:
NFL officials did not suspend Ray Rice indefinitely because they saw the video. [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]NFL officials suspended Ray Rice indefinitely because you saw the video.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]An organization as powerful as the NFL most definitely had access to that video, and they most definitely viewed it before adjudicating.[/SIZE]
Your avatar fits the subject matter perfectly.

BassNBrew said:
KellysHeroes said:
BassNBrew said:
How do you proof it?
Who ever released it to them comes out and says so. I could see a cover up if they had it all along, but I assume it was in the DA's possession along with whoever owned the camera.

I don't see how the NFL benefits from a cover up in the first place. Rice isn't a star and they really don't care about the players that much. They care more about not pissing off the union and ending up in court.
You bring up a good point. Obviously the DA had this. How could they not have gone after him for a more serious crime? They had video of a man KO'ing a woman without any reasonable self-defense offered. I think the DA has as much or more to answer to than the NFL.

BassNBrew said:
KellysHeroes said:
BassNBrew said:
How do you proof it?

You bring up a good point. Obviously the DA had this. How could they not have gone after him for a more serious crime? They had video of a man KO'ing a woman without any reasonable self-defense offered. I think the DA has as much or more to answer to than the NFL.
Nah…Goodell is responsible for all criminal punishment in addition to wussifying the game and concussing all those guys 40 years ago.

Amused to Death said:
Not only do I think they're lying, but I think the only reason they suddenly changed their domestic violence policy is because they knew the tape was leaked to TMZ and they wanted to get out in front of it. They knew what the public reaction would be and that led to Goodell admitting the suspension was too light. Had to look tough at that point.
Agreed

For real? These guys aren't some CIA/NSA operation with much knowledge beyond ours.

I remember the writer who spent the pre-draft process with the meetings from the Browns ownership and how he mentioned they spent 90% of their time watching ESPN for updates. These guys aren't some know-alls keeping stuff under wraps.

It's ridiculous to insinuate they saw the full video and only gave him two games.

So NFL insider and a very connected Chris Mortensen writes this in July:

We saw the TMZ video of what happened outside—when he was dragging her out unconscious—but inside, I'm told from those who have seen the video, it wasn't pretty. In fact, she attacks him—we don't know the reason why—and he strikes her, strikes her hard. And her head—according to the sources I've spoken to—struck the rail inside the elevator and she was unconscious.
Who do you think these sources are that described today's leaked video back in July?

Amused to Death said:
Said this in the other thread, but I think you have it backwards. Goodell realized that the NFL was getting hammered from his original decision, so he came up with a way to save face without pissing off the NFLPA: he orchestrated the leak himself, giving himself an ironclad reason for overturning his original decision.

I'm positive that NFL has a very impressive and experienced investigative team working for them that could dig up just about anything in 4 months.

Gary Coal Man said:
NFL officials did not suspend Ray Rice indefinitely because they saw the video. NFL officials suspended Ray Rice indefinitely because you saw the video.

An organization as powerful as the NFL most definitely had access to that video, and they most definitely viewed it before adjudicating.
I don't even know how it's up for debate. Harvey and his sippy cup get an advanced screening of the tape but the Billion Dollar Shield sees it at the same time as you and I?

Amused to Death said:
Said this in the other thread, but I think you have it backwards. Goodell realized that the NFL was getting hammered from his original decision, so he came up with a way to save face without pissing off the NFLPA: he orchestrated the leak himself, giving himself an ironclad reason for overturning his original decision.
this possibly... or it has something to do with getting the attention off of the vote on tuesday

The NFL's investigation budget is massive, and with their obsession with "protecting the shield," there's no way they didn't already see the video.

Amused to Death said:
I stopped reading the other threads, but this is plausible as well.

Amused to Death said:
So Goodell is throwing himself under the bus?! Not likely. At all.

Amused to Death said:
This. No way they didn't see that video. It was described by "sources" exactly the way that video showed a long time ago. Then we got fed some BS story. They realized the jig was up and they would look exactly the opposite of the way that wanted to look like cavemen. Massive corrective action was taken to get I front of the public swarm.

Former Eagles exec on ESPN is saying NFL and Ravens story is not credible. Also says if they didn't see it wtf did they think Ray Rice did to KO her

Former Eagles exec on ESPN is saying NFL and Ravens story is not credible. Also says if they didn't see it wtf did they think Ray Rice did to KO her
Saw that. And Adam Schefter was going nuts. I seriously want to know what he thinks of Greg Hardy, if they'll ever discuss Greg Hardy, what kind of hammer drops on Hardy. Hell he is still playing, and what he did and said is arguably much much worse!

Yes, I believe them. I also believe in the Easter Bunny, the Chupacabra, and the Jersey Devil.

I voted they've seen it.

This video confirms for us fans that what was widely speculated to have happened, actually happened.

The fact that it happened is bad enough. There's no justification for it. That doesn't excuse the NFL and Ravens from their own apparently duplicitous actions, however. They have standards of conduct to be held to as well.

Both organizations made decision on what to do with Rice after internal investigations. They knew he knocked her out, by his own admittance (as well as potentially by video), and that knowledge should have obviously factored into their respective decisions.

I fail to see how this evidence can be a radical departure from the evidence they had at hand when they made their decisions. After all, it isn't like the most important fact of the case that he was being punished for is in dispute. What's more important when it comes to assessing the depth of his wrongdoing and corresponding punishment, the fact that he assaulted her and knocked her out, or whether or not she "threatened" him first?

If it was in fact that different, then both organizations (and their respective investigation processes) should be panned for acting like they had a firm grasp on the situation with such incomplete evidence.

It seems much more plausible that these reactions are fueled by PR concerns now that the tape has been released. To go from being supported by your organization to cut for that reason alone is bad enough. To go from a two game suspension to an indefinite one is fairly ludicrous. There's no "additional evidence" in this tape that justifies that sort of radical increase in punishment.

These organizations knew what he did, and they made their own choices on how to proceed. To radically alter course now calls into question the integrity of everything they did up to this point. I find it odd that very few people seem to care.

I'm struggling to think of why Goodell would take it easy on Rice and why Harbaugh would go out of his way to praise him, if they'd seen that video.

Goodell has been decapitating players via discipline since he took the job. I do not understand why he would go out of his way to protect/defend/lessen the punishment on Ray Rice for this kind of thing.

Saw that. And Adam Schefter was going nuts. I seriously want to know what he thinks of Greg Hardy, if they'll ever discuss Greg Hardy, what kind of hammer drops on Hardy. Hell he is still playing, and what he did and said is arguably much much worse!
Hardy is an interesting case. Allegations are much worse but no video on TMZ. Witness supports her story about the beating to her face and body, hair pulling across the room etc, followed by visit to the ER. Also the seizing of his weapons cache in lauding multiple shotguns, automatic weapons and an AK 47, which he apparently stored on a bed in his apartment. All of which he surrendered to police.

He has already been found guilty but because he pleaded innocence is in the appeal process- not counselling like Rice who admitted to his actions and received diversion.

Not sure how to conclude my post. Seems clear whose actions are worse. Seems clear whose actions have been reported more broadly. A lot easier to click on a vine video on social media than take a couple minutes to read an article. Hardy story is also an ongoing one with no flash point like the media #### storm over each video. And Hardy is a DL not a RB or first round fantasy pick. Media, public and Adam Schefter will all react to the story of the day. The justice system will act on what's right. Why are the league office not doing the same thing?

I'm struggling to think of why Goodell would take it easy on Rice and why Harbaugh would go out of his way to praise him, if they'd seen that video.

Goodell has been decapitating players via discipline since he took the job. I do not understand why he would go out of his way to protect/defend/lessen the punishment on Ray Rice for this kind of thing.
How was his initial punishment out of line with every other wife beater in the league?

How was his initial punishment out of line with every other wife beater in the league?
I do not understand the question.

If you're saying that Goodell is only a disciplinarian when it comes to offenses other than beating women, I am not aware of what suspensions have been handed down in the past for similar incidents (or if there have been). That said, I've always felt Goodell was a bit over-the-top in enforcing discipline because he was concerned with defending the NFL brand. If that's true (and maybe I'm wrong), it sure seems that players hitting women should be a bigger offense than doing a little pot. I mean ####, they make us look at pink cleats and hand towels for a month for breast cancer awareness.

That's why I can't believe that Goodell saw this tape, and decided that on this issue, meh, 2 games is fine. I just find that hard to believe. That's not making Goodell out to be a saint or anything, I would just find that inconsistent with his approach in the past.

Basically, I think Ray and his wife decided that it would be best for them both if they did/said whatever they could to protect Rice's career, and they came up with a version of events that was much more favorable to Rice than the actual truth. I think they sat down, told that version*, Goodell looked him in the eye, and he swallowed the story.

I just find it difficult to believe any sane person could see that tape, and think 2 games was appropriate, and be convinced that the tape would somehow never see the light of day in this day and age. Why would Goodell do that? He brings the hammer down on players all the time, what benefit is it to him/league to let Ray Rice off easy, especially when the downside is the public gets a hold of that tape and makes him look like a fool (at best)?

Same thing applies to Harbaugh, who went out of his way to talk about what a great guy Ray is, he made a mistake, etc.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, and the head coach of the Ravens and the commissioner of the NFL don't think that punching out a woman is a big deal. I just find it hard to believe.

The point is there have been a ton of other wife beaters who didn't have tapes on TMZ who received less than two games. A lot of them played on Sunday. The majority received no suspension.

Goodell enforces discipline when the media cares.

As for Harbaugh? Let me know when he benches Suggs.

If you're saying that Goodell is only a disciplinarian when it comes to offenses other than beating women, I am not aware of what suspensions have been handed down in the past for similar incidents (or if there have been). That said, I've always felt Goodell was a bit over-the-top in enforcing discipline because he was concerned with defending the NFL brand. If that's true (and maybe I'm wrong), it sure seems that players hitting women should be a bigger offense than doing a little pot. I mean ####, they make us look at pink cleats and hand towels for a month for breast cancer awareness.

That's why I can't believe that Goodell saw this tape, and decided that on this issue, meh, 2 games is fine. I just find that hard to believe. That's not making Goodell out to be a saint or anything, I would just find that inconsistent with his approach in the past.

Basically, I think Ray and his wife decided that it would be best for them both if they did/said whatever they could to protect Rice's career, and they came up with a version of events that was much more favorable to Rice than the actual truth. I think they sat down, told that version*, Goodell looked him in the eye, and he swallowed the story.

I just find it difficult to believe any sane person could see that tape, and think 2 games was appropriate, and be convinced that the tape would somehow never see the light of day in this day and age. Why would Goodell do that? He brings the hammer down on players all the time, what benefit is it to him/league to let Ray Rice off easy, especially when the downside is the public gets a hold of that tape and makes him look like a fool (at best)?

Same thing applies to Harbaugh, who went out of his way to talk about what a great guy Ray is, he made a mistake, etc.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, and the head coach of the Ravens and the commissioner of the NFL don't think that punching out a woman is a big deal. I just find it hard to believe.
The standard has been 2 game suspension, with some appealing and knocking it down to 1. So Rice's 2 game ban for a first time offender was in line with it. The lifetime ban out of no where was very reactionary to the video leak. Just seems to me that the punishment will be inconsistent across the board.

All throughout the day, I've pointed out Hardy, Big Ben, and Brandon Marshall. I think they are all unique reference points. I will be anxious to see what Hardy's punishment is b/c it warrants a lifetime ban and serious help for the guy. For Big Ben, he got 6 games after being accused of rape on more than one occasion (i.e. repeat offender). Marshall is an example of all sorts of legal and DV issues while he was in Miami, but then a guy who cleaned up his act and now has a clean image.

But yes, like everyone else has said, that video made a huge difference, also set a precedent for double standards.

The standard has been 2 game suspension, with some appealing and knocking it down to 1. So Rice's 2 game ban for a first time offender was in line with it. The lifetime ban out of no where was very reactionary to the video leak. Just seems to me that the punishment will be inconsistent across the board.

All throughout the day, I've pointed out Hardy, Big Ben, and Brandon Marshall. I think they are all unique reference points. I will be anxious to see what Hardy's punishment is b/c it warrants a lifetime ban and serious help for the guy. For Big Ben, he got 6 games after being accused of rape on more than one occasion (i.e. repeat offender). Marshall is an example of all sorts of legal and DV issues while he was in Miami, but then a guy who cleaned up his act and now has a clean

But yes, like everyone else has said, that video made a huge difference, also set a precedent for double standards.

All throughout the day, I've pointed out Hardy, Big Ben, and Brandon Marshall. I think they are all unique reference points. I will be anxious to see what Hardy's punishment is b/c it warrants a lifetime ban and serious help for the guy. For Big Ben, he got 6 games after being accused of rape on more than one occasion (i.e. repeat offender). Marshall is an example of all sorts of legal and DV issues while he was in Miami, but then a guy who cleaned up his act and now has a clean image.

No suspension for Ravens defensive captain Suggs....a man whom Harbaugh etc. apparently take no issue with....

Or what about Rice's Baltimore teammate, Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs? Suggs' longtime girlfriend, Candace Williams, claimed in a protective order filed in 2012, obtained by the Baltimore Sun, that Suggs punched her in the neck and drove a car containing their two children at a "high rate of speed" while she was being dragged alongside.

Let's imagine that video for a moment.

USATODAY

Roger Goodell's letter to NFL owners on new domestic violence policy

Also, in a 2009 incident, Williams said Suggs, "held me down on the floor and poured bleach on me and our son, held me down on the floor and kicked my face and broke my nose. Throughout our relationship since early 2007, he has punched me in the face and stomach and threatened to take the children from me if I left him. He stole my ID so I could not leave."

I find it hard to believe the league didn't have access to the tape, but then I can't believe they saw it and then the suspension was 2 games. I'm not a Goodell supporter, but I don't think he's completely incompetent.

Only thing I can think of -- we saw how the Ravens organization genuinely stood up for Rice publicly after the news broke. That seemed legitimate and heartfelt if you read their statements. Maybe the owner vouched for him, gave assurances he's seeking treatment and basically begged for leniency.

For me, I'm pretty sure that the NFL saw it but even if they didn't that doesn't exclude the league from scrutiny. There is NO WAY that the NFL didn't know that the video existed. To believe that the NFL didn't see the video and that they didn't even know that it existed is crazy. A star NFL player beats up his fiance in a casino and you don't look into seeing if the elevator has cameras...that doesn't make any sense at all.

So if the league saw this fight (which I think they did) and brushed it off, they've got a lot of explaining to do. But I don't think it's much better if they didn't see the video, I'd say that's more than enough reason to get rid of him because If the NFL didn't try and get that video, they failed with their investigacions

The only thing making me think the NFL didnt see it is that there would be no reason to lie about it, give Ray a light sentence, then change their penalties to something harsher, then give Ray a punishment that doesnt even fit their punishment criteria right when it comes out for public viewing.

But common sense tells me they definitely saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread