What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taliaferro & Crowell - The 2 most important waiver wire players in (1 Viewer)

Who makes the biggest fantasy impact in 2014 a-la Zac Stacy?

• Taliaferro

Votes: 83 22.5%
  • Crowell

Votes: 182 49.3%
  • I don't think either will become viable fantasy players this year

Votes: 104 28.2%

• Total voters

rickyg

Footballguy
By far, it is my opinion that Isaiah Crowell and Lorenzo Taliaferro are the 2 most important waiver wire pickups of the week and maybe for the year.

One of these guys (or both) is going to break out as a weekly starting RB for their teams. But which one? Let's discus:

Crowell might be the better talent. I love him in dynasty. I wouldn't be surprised if he supplants tate AND west is the bonafide starter next year.

As far the THIS year is concerned, I can't place a value on him yet. I know he will have a role, but we don't know the extent of tate's knee injury and he has west in front of him. West had a great game himself, and I can't see the coaches just relegating him to crowell's backup if tate misses an extended period of time. If tate comes back soon we might be looking at a 3-headed monster which cancels out all of their value. The one hope would be that crowell shines so much with limited touches that he forces the coaching staff's hand to give him more snaps.

Taliaferro to me is very interesting. Led the nfl in rushing this preseason. He has Pierce and forsett in front of him. Pierce was benched in week 1 and appears to have lost the confidence and support of the staff. Forsett did well and has a relationship with kubiak and knowledge of the system, but he is a 29 year old change of pace back at best. People are going to over-react to his 11-70 and 1td game and prioritize him as a pickup over Taliaferro. I believe this is a mistake.

At the very least Taliaferro should become the gl and short yardage back moving forward (he is the biggest back out of the 3) and at best he could quickly supplant forsett and pierce and become the waiver wire gem of the YEAR on a run-first offense.

So, in my estimation: redraft, you want to prioritize taliaferro based on situation/opportunity. Dynasty, target crowell first based on talent.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to see Taliaferro has more (timed) wiggle...

Taliaferro -

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6002
Weight: 229
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 6.88 Crowell -

Combine Results
Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5110
Weight: 224
40 Yrd Dash: 4.53
20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Dates: 03/04/14
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

Couldn't add this to the week 2 waiver wire thread?
I could have and I apologize if the new thread annoys some people, but that thread is also full of conjecture on other players. I REALLY do think that one of these guys is going to prove to be the waiver wire pickup of the year. Like a zac stacy or moreno of 2013.

It deserves some serious discussion and was hoping to bounce my opinions off some of the other sharks.

I'm surprised to see Taliaferro has more (timed) wiggle...

Taliaferro -

Combine Invite: YesHeight: 6002

Weight: 229

40 Yrd Dash: 4.54

20 Yrd Dash: 2.58

10 Yrd Dash: 1.57 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18

Vertical Jump: 33

Broad Jump: 09'10"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22

3-Cone Drill: 6.88

Crowell -

Combine Results
Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: YesHeight: 5110

40 Yrd Dash: 4.53

20 Yrd Dash: 2.50

10 Yrd Dash: 1.55 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23

Vertical Jump: 38

Broad Jump: 09'08"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Dates: 03/04/14

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56

3-Cone Drill: 7.28
So what do you think, LawFitz? who is the better pickup this week?

Taliaferro:

STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Very good production. Is patient and follows his blocks. Finds creases and is adept navigating through traffic without losing speed -- good eyes. Nice spin move. Competes hard. Strong short-yardage producer. Runs hard and usually falls forward. Catches outside his frame. Helps chip in pass protection and is alert to see the blitz. Good football intelligence and awareness. WEAKNESSES Limited speed to the outside. Monotone runner who takes time to get rolling downhill. Much of his production is blocked for him. Plays in a spread offense where he is usually moving laterally at the snap and not stepping downhill. Stiff route runner. Regularly matched up against lesser competition. BOTTOM LINE A big, small-school producer with a solid all-around skill set to compete for a job as a role player in a zone scheme. Will need to contribute on special teams to earn a spot.-Nolan Nawrocki
Crowell:

STRENGTHS Good vision and run strength -- runs hard and has a knack for finding seams. Presses the line of scrimmage and shows nice short-area burst to attack the outside. WEAKNESSES Average balance and tackle-breaking power. Cannot make his own holes and goes down too easy on contact, especially inside. Minimal receiving production. Soft, disinterested pass protector. Lacks top finishing speed. Effort waned late in games. Beats to the tune of his own drummer. Extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach. DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7 BOTTOM LINE An adequate-sized back with the run instincts and perimeter running skills to compete for a job in a situational role if he learns to commit himself to the process and figures out what it means to be a pro.-Nolan Nawrocki

Maybe the thread should be Taliaferro or Crowell, or something like that.

Crowell looks like a good add now but Tate is not out all year and West had a terrific game.

I could see Taliaferro being valuable in the final third/quarter of the season. I don't know why they're not turning to him now, maybe he is still on the leaning curve.

Browns -

top-rated OL;

Shanahan running scheme;

lots of feature RB competition;

??? QB;

??? D

Ravens -

mid-level OL;

Kubiak (Shanahan) running scheme;

a lot less feature RB competition

decent/good QB;

decent D?

Maybe the thread should be Taliaferro or Crowell, or something like that.

Crowell looks like a good add now but Tate is not out all year and West had a terrific game.

I could see Taliaferro being valuable in the final third/quarter of the season. I don't know why they're not turning to him now, maybe he is still on the leaning curve.
Fixed, thanks bro

Crowell vs Toilefero

Better Talent: Crowell (Crowell was a five-star high school recruit, thetop-ranked running back in the nation according various scouting services. He was a track star, widely regarded as the best prep football player in the state of Georgia, headed to UGA.)

Better Runner: Crowell

Better Oline: Crowell/Browns

Run First Offense: Crowell/Browns

Better Surrounding Cast: Tiolefero

Better Opportunity: Crowell

Better Preseason: Crowell, he began offseason #6 on depth chart

Browns -

top-rated OL;

Shanahan running scheme;

lot's of feature RB competition;

??? QB;

??? D

Ravens -

mid-level OL;

Kubiak (Shanahan) running scheme;

a lot less feature RB competition

decent/good QB;

decent D?
I know that's a good breakdown...it's a tough call, but I think that Taliaferro has to be the pick based on opportunity to produce consistently right away

I put up a poll...lots of people have waiver wire deadlines tonight. Let's see what the crowd thinks.

Why do you discount West after considering his depth chart spot and 100 yrds on 16 carries last week?

Talking ReDraft

I went back last night and watched each of Taliaferro's preseason touches. I was hoping to see a player with more juice in his legs. Instead, he looked like a hard-nosed, effective inside runner who lacks burst. I won't say that a lack of burst precludes Taliaferro from having success. Just an observation.

Crowell, on the other hand, showed good vision and burst. The jury is out on Crowell's ability and willingness to pass protect.

Neither Taliaferro nor Crowell has an easy path to extended playing time. In Cleveland, both Tate and West were effective Sunday as well. Depending on Tate's status, Crowell may be third in Cleveland's backfield pecking order. The door is cracked open slightly more in Baltimore, with the dismissal of Rice; however, Pierce and Forsett are formidable roadblocks for the time being.

If you are looking for a dynasty pickup, I would favor Crowell. If you are looking for immediate production, however, I'm not convinced either is likely to be given enough touches to have significant fantasy value this season. If I had room to roster one, it would be Crowell.

I went back last night and watched each of Taliaferro's preseason touches. I was hoping to see a player with more juice in his legs. Instead, he looked like a hard-nosed, effective inside runner who lacks burst. I won't say that a lack of burst precludes Taliaferro from having success. Just an observation.

Crowell, on the other hand, showed good vision and burst. The jury is out on Crowell's ability and willingness to pass protect.

Neither Taliaferro nor Crowell has an easy path to extended playing time. In Cleveland, both Tate and West were effective Sunday as well. Depending on Tate's status, Crowell may be third in Cleveland's backfield pecking order. The door is cracked open slightly more in Baltimore, with the dismissal of Rice; however, Pierce and Forsett are formidable roadblocks for the time being.

If you are looking for a dynasty pickup, I would favor Crowell. If you are looking for immediate production, however, I'm not convinced either is likely to be given enough touches to have significant fantasy value this season. If I had room to roster one, it would be Crowell.
Interesting analysis thanks man. However, Balt DID draft taliaferro in the 4th round. And they just let go if their franchise back. You don't think that they would want to see what they have in their 4th round pick when the other backs on the roster are an unimpressive pierce and a journeyman change of pace back in forsett?

My gut is telling me taliaferro gets a shot at being the man sooner rather than later and at worst becomes the short yardage and gl back.

Good targets if you have really deep benches, but Taliaferro seems like a case of jumping the gun. I don't think Pierce is going to be totally benched any time soon even if Forsett becomes the lead back in the short term.

Interesting analysis thanks man. However, Balt DID draft taliaferro in the 4th round. And they just let go if their franchise back. You don't think that they would want to see what they have in their 4th round pick when the other backs on the roster are an unimpressive pierce and a journeyman change of pace back in forsett?

My gut is telling me taliaferro gets a shot at being the man sooner rather than later and at worst becomes the short yardage and gl back.
Good points. I could certainly see Taliaferro getting increased reps, especially in short yardage and goalline situations, and depending on Pierce's ability to hang onto the rock, perhaps more. While I do not think it is likely that Taliaferro carves out a large enough role to have significant fantasy value this season, things change fast in the NFL. Another Pierce fumble or an injury changes the landscape quickly. For the time being, however, I would put my chips down on both Pierce and Forsett having more significant roles than Taliaferro. Pierce (shoulder) was a major disappointment last season, but the coaching staff raved about him in camp. Pierce showed up in excellent shape and focused. Pierce was a third-rounder himself, and he has shown glimpses of being an effective every-down back for the Ravens. As a rookie, Pierce ran for 4.9 ypc. His biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is not the fumbling (that has not been a weakness for him). Pierce's biggest knock is his durability. Pierce could really flourish in Baltimore's zone blocking scheme. He is a good fit.

Crowell has the talent but also has the challenges of West ahead of him (Assuming Tate is out), personality challenges, major pass-pro questions and a questionable supporting cast. I like him more if Tate is out long term and Josh Gordon comes back (which is a big if)

Taliaferro is no world beater from a talent perspective. He will get primarily what is blocked, lacks special burst to the hole and take a while to hit his top speed. He will however gain hard yards with his physicality, can potentially play all 3 downs and may only have to overcome Forsett to get in the 12-18 touch range.

Seems to me that neither of these guys are anywhere near a sure thing to even get the requisite touches to be viable RB2s....however, if you're asking who has the more likely path to a Zac Stacy kind of season I'd say Taliaferro. Here's why....I have a feeling Baltimore has soured on Pierce. I think Pierce was meant to hold the fort down until Rice got back Week 3. I think they saw last season a player who wasn't ever going to give them all they want from him last season and into this preseason and his fumble this past week was the final thread. They will use him because he is there, young and athletic and having lost Rice they don't have much choice.....but I bet they lean more on Forsett and Pierce slowly falls off the radar like Richardson did for St Louis last year. However, Forsett is what he is....a 7 year vet who has never proven his ability to be a bellcow. I bet that as their season goes on they begin to utilize their new, shiny rookie more and more to see what they've got in him and it won't take much for him to equal or surpass Forsett.

So I'm reluctant because I had Ray Rice last year and it seemed like the O-line was just damn terrible.

I have not followed the ravens closely at all in the off season and stuff....why do you think this guy will succeed?

pump the brakes.. I like Crowell but you know someone is going 50% or more on him.

you cant count on the 2 touchdowns on limited touchs everyweek.

Do we have any idea how long Tate is out?

I'd consider trading for Carlos Hyde, who looked superb in Dallas on Sunday..

Crowell looks legit..haven't we finally moved past the "Ben Tate , if he stays healthy , he's going to be special" nonsense? Pick up

Crowell with confidence that he'll at least be a #2 in a Shanahan offense with a better O-line than Kubiak's offense and the Ravens' line..

short term, Chris Ivory has more value than each of these guys..and Robert Turbin is destined for a good deal of mop-up duty as Seattle crushes teams in the future - their schedule is unbelievably easy..

The one thing I can't get away from with Crowell, and I own him, is that who in their right mind is going to put him in a position where they have to count on him yet? IF West is totally ineffective and Tate is hurt then out of desperation they might go to him. I think he would have to severely out play West by a bazillion miles right now to be given a lead role. Otherwise I don't think anyone is going to trust him until he proves differently.

Rotoworld

Rookie Lorenzo Taliaferro did not touch the ball in the Ravens' Week 1 loss to the Bengals.

We saw him in for one play, where Taliaferro was targeted but failed to secure Joe Flacco's errant throw. With Bernard Pierce benched, Taliaferro may have quietly moved to No. 2 on the tailback depth chart, behind Justin Forsett. Ray Rice is due back from suspension in Week 3, however. Sep 7 - 5:15 PM
Way to stay current.

Insein said:
Couldn't add this to the week 2 waiver wire thread?
No. This is an excellent thread which should be set off my itself.
I stand corrected.
Guys who wanna read about "possible" Stud RB's would have to wade thru extra posts full of non -information, but still including non -relevant arguments.

Lets say I do not want the safest add?

Or :argue:

The best TE/QB/WR

Anyway, I believe its somewhat refreshing to see the possibilities of someone besides Crowell...

It could get bumpy.

For instance, in the case of Crowell, I still see a healthy Tate being a part of the picture. Both Fans, and the Staff know the name, and the potential production.

I could even look at the downside possibility that the Browns have now proven to themselves that Crowell will complete his work (Score when reasonably achievable) and it can now focus on further evaluating West (ya know high draft pick, w lots of time spent working in the offense)

I encourage everyone to read the posts " Crowell " and " Crowell vs. West "

Now as far as Lorenzo, I would think it best to add some type of value. ie. In my League Benny Cunningham was dropped to add Lorenzo. (I would add K. Britt if applicable too)

I also would like to add my :2cents: on faab . I mean if you place 51% on Crowell, doesn't that mean he should be starting Sunday? I understand there may be "better" ways to spend faab as the Season continues, and this could be for the entire Season. But it does sound expensive IF not willing to start immediately.

Id enjoy reading more comments involving faab bids on both players!

p.s. Its kind of ironic posting an initial comment about double posting, and then providing info in regards to the same type of thing. I mean I guess it would be nice to have just a Crowell thread, but Im sure some did draft/add West too

I picked up both Crowell and taliaferro as bench stashes. Dropped Pitt D and marquise lee (non ppr). I have strong wrs and lee was my wr7.

I know no one cares about my team yada yada just telling you guys to help give a frame of reference for the types of bench players people are dropping to pick these guys up.

I was very surprised to see that no one put in a waiver claim for either of these guys in my league. People are sleeping on both still.

Picked up Crowell to back up Tate. No one put in a claim for him so I didn't lose we position. Not enough bench space to justify Taliaferro yet.

I got Taliaferro for 60% of my bucks. Dynasty, never had Rice, drafted Pierce last year, couldn't get Forsett though. I'm in 9 leagues and saw Taliaferro go for the full monte in a couple.

Crowell is the one player that everyone pimped on here as being perhaps the most talented runner in this draft. Now granted, this wasn't a great draft for backs, but even stating that, I think you could argue that Hill, Hyde, and Sankey were drafted right around the same areas as Lacy, Bell, and Gio. If Crowell is more talented than Hyde, he's going to force his way into the lineup. And at that point you've got something worth keeping.

10 Team, 10 Player keeper. Dropped Rice trying to get Forsett off waivers. I was beat to him. No one grabbed Crowell or Taliaferro. I took Crowell and the choice was not tough at all for me. I am a Tate owner, but did not factor than into my decision. I went on talent, and Crowell is the goods.

14 Team Dynasty

Taliaferro went to the team at on #4 waiver wire #1 needed TE and took Allen ..2 and 3 didnt pick

I got Crowell with #10 waiver claim and Forsett as no one put in 2 claims

Very surprised

14 Team Dynasty

Taliaferro went to the team at on #4 waiver wire #1 needed TE and took Allen ..2 and 3 didnt pick

I got Crowell with #10 waiver claim and Forsett as no one put in 2 claims

Very surprised
People are sleeping. They only like to bid on players after they break out. Crowell isn't seen as a breakout since he is sill technically buried on the depth chart.

Making pickups like these before the breakout is what wins fantasy seasons.

Of course both of these guys could turn out to be turds and droppable in the next several weeks. But you gotta take the shot. One of them could be this years zac Stacy or Moreno.

With the Ben Tate news I think Crowell is actually looking like the better pickup short term as well as long.

With the Ben Tate news I think Crowell is actually looking like the better pickup short term as well as long.
I like Crowell, but do we know this for sure? West got the bulk of carries. I'm hoping now that Crowell is in the game plan now they will at least split 50/50 carries to start...

I like Crowell, but do we know this for sure? West got the bulk of carries. I'm hoping now that Crowell is in the game plan now they will at least split 50/50 carries to start...
If I knew any of this stuff "for sure" I wouldn't be typing this message! I'd probably be somewhere on my huge yacht getting pampered by 5 playboy models, a personal chef, a butler, and a masseuse (the good kind) with all the money I win from fanduel. Lol

Crowell is the one player that everyone pimped on here as being perhaps the most talented runner in this draft. Now granted, this wasn't a great draft for backs, but even stating that, I think you could argue that Hill, Hyde, and Sankey were drafted right around the same areas as Lacy, Bell, and Gio. If Crowell is more talented than Hyde, he's going to force his way into the lineup. And at that point you've got something worth keeping.
Nice post, Sabertooth. You make an excellent point. I personally don't buy into the idea that Crowell is the most talented back in this draft class, although he is undoubtedly talented. If Crowell will give a consistent effort, he could force his way into the lineup; however, West and Tate are talented as well, and they arguably have better pedigrees, so pushing them aside will be no easy task.

Crowell vs Toilefero

Better Talent: Crowell (Crowell was a five-star high school recruit, thetop-ranked running back in the nation according various scouting services. He was a track star, widely regarded as the best prep football player in the state of Georgia, headed to UGA.)

Better Runner: Crowell

Better Oline: Crowell/Browns

Run First Offense: Crowell/Browns

Better Surrounding Cast: Tiolefero

Better Opportunity: Crowell

Better Preseason: Crowell, he began offseason #6 on depth chart
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're a Crowell owner? I'll agree that Crowell was the more hyped player coming out of high school but their college production, preseason use, and so regular season use are debatable.

Crowell played 3 years of college ball. Only had 1 year over 1000 yads and that was 2013 where he had 170 carries for 1121 yards (6.6 avg) and 15 tds with only 7 receptions on the year.

Taliaferro played 2 years of college ball and his last year (2013) was pretty impressive. 276 carries, 1729 yards, 27 Tds, 23 receptions with another 2 tds receiving.

Being honest...looks like Taliaferro is the better player.

Better Talent: debatable...let the numbers help you

Better Runner: remains to be seen, but I might go ahead and give the edge to Crowell

Better Oline: Crowell/Browns (remains to be seen...on paper the Browns may be better at the moment)

Run First Offense: Crowell/Browns (but which offense has produced the better Rbs?)

Better Surrounding Cast: Taliaferro

Better Opportunity: They are both #3 currently on the depth chart. I'd say tie.

Better Preseason: This is debatable as well. Crowell did more with his touches during the preseason, yes. But Taliaferro out-touched Crowell 3+ to 1! Taliaferro had 50 rushes for 170 yards 1 reception for 10 yards with 1 TD. Crowell had 15 touches for 105 total yards and 13 of those came in week 3. He also had only 1 reception for 6 yards.

Crowell's average during the preseason is far more impressive than Taliaferro's but as far as usage it tilts heavily in Taliaferro's favor.

I'd have to say that Taliaferro had the better college numbers compared to Crowell. Preseason is a wash. I'm interested to see how they get used going forward. I own both of these guys in a few leagues so it's a win-win for me. But I wouldn't blindly say one is better than the other and has a better opportunity.

pissed that Ben Tate couldn't stay healthy for one ####ing week so i could have grabbed Crowell before he saw the field

both are available in my dynasty ( 1st year start up/20 man rosters ) as is Forsett but I am breaking the bank & going all in on Crowell. I dont expect anything from him this year which he can have opportunity as seen by week 1 but I get excited thinking about the possibilities in the future w/ Johnny Football behind center.

Waivers just processed this morning. 12 team dynasty 2014 startup

Start season with $100 FAAB. I went very heavy WR in dynasty startup and was left with Hyde, SJax and Rice as my main backs. Needless to say I was fairly certain after the knockout vid leak and the explosion of 3 ATL RBs not named SJax that I would be blowing all my bucks on backs this week and hoping I drafted well enough to stay afloat.

I won Crowell with a $75 bid. The only other bid was for $4 (wtf.) and it was by the guy who dropped him for a defense a few days ago. Oh well, better safe than sorry. He passed the eye test with flying colors. Now can he pick up pass pro and take the reins?

I also won Forsett with a $25 bid and got Taliaferro for free. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I have to stay a step ahead of waivers now and 15 weeks is a long time.

Start season with $100 FAAB. I went very heavy WR in dynasty startup and was left with Hyde, SJax and Rice as my main backs. Needless to say I was fairly certain after the knockout vid leak and the explosion of 3 ATL RBs not named SJax that I would be blowing all my bucks on backs this week and hoping I drafted well enough to stay afloat.

I won Crowell with a $75 bid. The only other bid was for $4 (wtf.) and it was by the guy who dropped him for a defense a few days ago. Oh well, better safe than sorry. He passed the eye test with flying colors. Now can he pick up pass pro and take the reins?

I also won Forsett with a $25 bid and got Taliaferro for free. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I have to stay a step ahead of waivers now and 15 weeks is a long time.
So, you blew every FAAB dollar on Crowell and forsett?

wtf are you going to do for the rest of your season?

So, you blew every FAAB dollar on Crowell and forsett?

wtf are you going to do for the rest of your season?
Talk about the classic week 1 overraction.

Users who are viewing this thread