What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best/Worst Sports Talk Radio Show? (1 Viewer)

tom22406

Footballguy
I have been saying for a while now that The Steve Czaban show(Yahoo Sports Radio)is the best sports talk radio show going so I would love to hear who you think is the best and why.Maybe a top 2 or 3 from each side?

Best

Czaban

Dan Patrick

Ferrall on the bench

Worst

Colin Cowturd

Mike and Mike

John Feinstein

ETA:used to love Rome but can't even listen to 10 minutes anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Felger/Masseroti is great for New England based sports.

Anything on ESPN is unlistenable to me with the amount of commercial breaks. They talk, what? 27 minutes an hour? The rest of the hour is ads/commercials.

I've switched to Raw Dog recently, and aside from MAd Dog himself, it's much nicer we can get sports discussion for up to 30 minutes without a break.

Dan Patrick is the most pompous blowhard I've ever heard on the radio.

SVP & Russillo is alright in terms of national shows.

Love Boomer and Carton in New York. It's very nice when people don't take sports so ### #### seriously all the time.

I assume we don't consider The Audible a "talk show?" Nothing I enjoy listening to more in the fall.

Best: Ben Maller

Worst: Cowturd

SVP & russillo horrendous.....cowherd class A doosh who probably never played a sport in his life....Finebaum, sounds like a 200 yr old man ready to keel over.....mike & Mike, hey golic please tell us about your kids playing sports again...glad I have xm & dont need to listen to any of these hacks anymore

For those with SiriusXM, "Moving The Chains" with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller is easily the world's best. They take their callers seriously and spend tons of time on Xs & Os along with their always thoughtful analyses.

I always saved that title for Mike Francesa
I guess this might be true... but no one actually likes Francesa, do they? People actually enjoy Patrick's show which is absolutely ridiculous.
I'll bite on this one.What makes liking Patrick's show absolutely ridiculous?

As far as Francesa goes I'm sure most of the love for him comes from his Mike and Mad Dog days but he somehow gets strong ratings for someone as bad as he is.

Cowturd is right in line behind Francesa for me for biggest blowhard and anybody that thinks his show is even remotely good needs help.

For those with SiriusXM, "Moving The Chains" with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller is easily the world's best. They take their callers seriously and spend tons of time on Xs & Os along with their always thoughtful analyses.
I listened to Pat and Tim since Day 1. They were great. Miller is intolerable.

He says "obviously" every-5th word. Not everything is "obvious." Now that I pointed this out, you'll notice it.

Little stuff like that is irritating enough to kill a show for me. And every one of his interview questions includes "Maybe just talk about." For example, instead of simply saying "How has your new offensive coordinator helped you?", he'll say " Maybe just talk about how your new offensive coordinator has helped you."

:wall:

Don't definitely talk about it.... MAYBE JUST talk about it.

He's got THE WORST verbal crutches I've ever heard.

Best

Colin Cowherd - Always interesting; I know people hate the guy but I've been a fan since to took over the slot from the old gay guy.

Czaban - Great solid sports talk

The Junkies (DC area) - a funny mix of sports and entertainment.

Worst

Mike and Mike - downright awful.

Dan Patrick - well past his prime.

I guess this might be true... but no one actually likes Francesa, do they? People actually enjoy Patrick's show which is absolutely ridiculous.

As far as Francesa goes I'm sure most of the love for him comes from his Mike and Mad Dog days but he somehow gets strong ratings for someone as bad as he is.

Cowturd is right in line behind Francesa for me for biggest blowhard and anybody that thinks his show is even remotely good needs help.
Patrick spends half the show talking about how great he is and the other half is spent with non-sports guests or uninteresting athletes talking about how great Patrick is. He might actually have a bigger ego than Keith Olbermann.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick spends half the show talking about how great he is and the other half is spent with non-sports guests or uninteresting athletes talking about how great Patrick is. He might actually have a bigger ego than Keith Olbermann.
they are two peas from the same doosh pod

That is part of his shtick :shrug:

Nothing offered in my market is worth listening to. They got rid of ESPN and replaced it with CBS. Feinstein and Rome are both terrible.

The local guys are almost as bad. There's two stations. One of them has an owner who just fired all of their on-air talent and is trying to run it all by himself. To say it's a disaster does not do it justice. The other station has a former police commissioner that used to have a political talk show, but they decided to put him on a sports show with no background in sports. It's odd at best.

Nothing offered in my market is worth listening to. They got rid of ESPN and replaced it with CBS. Feinstein and Rome are both terrible.

The local guys are almost as bad. There's two stations. One of them has an owner who just fired all of their on-air talent and is trying to run it all by himself. To say it's a disaster does not do it justice. The other station has a former police commissioner that used to have a political talk show, but they decided to put him on a sports show with no background in sports. It's odd at best.
Well, don't you guys in Charm City have Vinnie Cerrato on the radio?

As far as local radio in the D.C. area goes I can't stand The Junkies anymore and it's so bad if I ever hear donk or rick again on the airwaves I may puke.They were really good early on but I just can't tolerate them anymore.

Grant and Danny is pretty bad as well on WJFK as is Chad Dukes who really needs to get out of sports radio and do what he does best which is talk about anything else but sports.Thankfully Lavar Arrington went on to do things for the NFL network because he was the absolute worst.

The ESPN station runs Mike and Mike and then goes right into Tony Kornheiser which is ok but nothing great but good for a change of pace.Czabe does another show from 4-7 with Chris Cooley which is turning out pretty good.Cooley is a good X's and O's guy who does a good job breaking down Skins film and his dynamic with Czabe clicks since they always clash with each other.

I thought Adam Schein was among the worst until he was moved from his time slot and Stephen A. Smith took it over last week. Now I miss the pop and sizzle :(

Well, don't you guys in Charm City have Vinnie Cerrato on the radio?
Yes. He's decent at some things. He co-hosts with Rob Long, who is black. It's hysterical when Vinny awkwardly starts to talk like a black guy when a black caller and Rob are talking.

Locally there is a show called Petros and Money, with Petros Papadakis and Matt "Money" Smith. I find their blend of sports and pop culture stuff entertaining, mostly because they are my age and a lot of the pop culture stuff they talk about is stuff I identify with.

Matt also does a ton of voice work with NFL Network and after listening to his radio show you realize he does the voiceover work and most of those Top 10 shows they show on NFL Network.

Contrary to the above I like the junkies here in dc. They make me laugh. All I can ask for in sports radio. Cooley is pretty good on the czaban show.

I can't stand the serious guys... Rome, mike and mike... Snoozefest. Dukes is the worst. He somehow got worse by losing lavar arrington who sucks. The last guy good around here at being serious was Ken Beatrice.

As far as local radio in the D.C. area goes I can't stand The Junkies anymore and it's so bad if I ever hear donk or rick again on the airwaves I may puke.They were really good early on but I just can't tolerate them anymore.

Grant and Danny is pretty bad as well on WJFK as is Chad Dukes who really needs to get out of sports radio and do what he does best which is talk about anything else but sports.Thankfully Lavar Arrington went on to do things for the NFL network because he was the absolute worst.

The ESPN station runs Mike and Mike and then goes right into Tony Kornheiser which is ok but nothing great but good for a change of pace.Czabe does another show from 4-7 with Chris Cooley which is turning out pretty good.Cooley is a good X's and O's guy who does a good job breaking down Skins film and his dynamic with Czabe clicks since they always clash with each other.
Sounds like you want a pure sports show. How much of pure sports can you really listen to in a day? :shrug:

Eephus nailed it.

The problem with sports radio is that there are so many tremendously stupid people out there who like sports. And those people like BIG DUMB STRONG TAKES.

So you have to pander to them. And it's truly awful.

I assume we don't consider The Audible a "talk show?" Nothing I enjoy listening to more in the fall.

Best: Ben Maller

Worst: Cowturd
If we can go podcasts. Love the Audible and Bloom's "On the Couch."

Worst: lots of really bad podcasts, but give a listen to "Red & Blue" and Kellog's Comments. Just brutal.

Is that Aparicio? Still running his 50 watt out of a row house in Dundalk and failing?

Sounds like you want a pure sports show. How much of pure sports can you really listen to in a day? :shrug:
Not at all but they have been doing the same shtick for over 15 years and it has just gotten stale.Rick,Donk,Cised are among the few little catch phrases I just can't stand anymore and EB may well be the biggest homer ever to have a radio show.Sure they do some funny things from time to time but overall I just don't even care what they have to say anymore about anything.

I love Czabe and he doesn't talk about sports his entire show.

A thousand-way tie for last
such :goodposting:

I like Mad Dog for oh....about 20 minutes on a good day, but then I can't listen any more.

I used to love listening to Dan Patrick until he started believing he was a rock star + movie star + chick magnet all rolled into one mega pretentious #####.

(still a decent interviewer of sports personalities when that's all he does).

I listened to Pat and Tim since Day 1. They were great. Miller is intolerable.

He says "obviously" every-5th word. Not everything is "obvious." Now that I pointed this out, you'll notice it.

Little stuff like that is irritating enough to kill a show for me. And every one of his interview questions includes "Maybe just talk about." For example, instead of simply saying "How has your new offensive coordinator helped you?", he'll say " Maybe just talk about how your new offensive coordinator has helped you."

:wall:

Don't definitely talk about it.... MAYBE JUST talk about it.

He's got THE WORST verbal crutches I've ever heard.
I don't disagree that Mills has a few verbal tics, but I think he has definitely improved since he got the full time gig. He's clearly no TRock. But I'm such a big fan of PK's abilities to make the complicated seem simple in an avuncular way, that I can easily listen to the two of them together. Between Pat's front office and coaching knowledge and Jim's on-th-field chops, I learn something useful nearly every time I listen in.

This new Rich Eisen show is awful.

He's a horrible interviewer - and probably always has been, but it's magnified when he's on for consecutive hours.

And I recently had the misfortune of tuning into Fox Sports radio and heard this Andy Foreman and Mike North show,

What is MIke North's background? He may be the biggest loudmouth - blowhard I have ever heard in my life. My god he's awful.

I really feel sorry for all of you. It does suck to not have a go-to sports station in your market that isn't a bunch of ######s.

Is that Aparicio? Still running his 50 watt out of a row house in Dundalk and failing?
Nasty Nestor?

This new Rich Eisen show is awful.

He's a horrible interviewer - and probably always has been, but it's magnified when he's on for consecutive hours.

And I recently had the misfortune of tuning into Fox Sports radio and heard this Andy Foreman and Mike North show,

What is MIke North's background? He may be the biggest loudmouth - blowhard I have ever heard in my life. My god he's awful.
Never heard the Eisen show but I'm not really a fan of his NFLN work so I can see this totally being true.

North used to be on in Chicago I believe but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread