What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

I'm sure it's covered in other threads, but what do you guys use for podcasts?

I've got TuneIn, but that's just streaming right? No downloading?

I was probably going to get PocketCast. Do all these podcast apps pretty much have access to all podcasts?

I would really only care about the main sports stuff, NPR/ATC, Maron, Nerdist, and America's Test Kitchen. They'd all have all that right?

so in

I dont remember who it was in the apple thread that alerted me to Google now. Pretty handy

How are the chromebooks. I imagine I would not be able to take pictures with my DSLR and store them in the chrome book. Do a lot of you have chromebooks plus regular laptops. My school has totally gone google and Im looking to be able to make the transition as simple as possible

I was probably going to get PocketCast. Do all these podcast apps pretty much have access to all podcasts?

I would really only care about the main sports stuff, NPR/ATC, Maron, Nerdist, and America's Test Kitchen. They'd all have all that right?
Love me some pocket cast and have never had an issue finding any of the podcasts that I searched for

so in

I dont remember who it was in the apple thread that alerted me to Google now. Pretty handy

How are the chromebooks. I imagine I would not be able to take pictures with my DSLR and store them in the chrome book. Do a lot of you have chromebooks plus regular laptops. My school has totally gone google and Im looking to be able to make the transition as simple as possible
Some chromebooks have 32 GB hard drive + expandable memory via cards. Add in the 100GB of Google Drive and you shouldnt have any issue with pictures

I use Google Voice all the time. Love it.

I do not have nor do I want a Google+ account.

I hear this integration is the next step in the elimination of Google Voice as a separate app and into the structure of Hangouts.

Do I need a Google+ account to use Hangouts?
Google Further Separates Hangouts from Google+

Google Hangouts used to be a Google+ version of Google Talk, with the former eventually replacing the latter to be more social and more integrated into Google’s social network. However, with Google+ not achieving the popularity Google has hoped for, it looks like the company wants to make Hangouts a more separate entity. With its use for SMS these days, the popularity of the service must far exceed Google+.

As of the latest update, you no longer need a Google+ profile to use many of the features. More specifically, the changelog mentions what you can now do without Google+.

Start Hangout video calls with up to 15 participants
Include any external guests who have a Google account
Add, change or join a video call in a Google Calendar entry (coming soon)
Join or start a Hangout by URL or at g.co/hangout/ (and g.co/present/ to just present)

This doesn’t mean that Hangouts will now be entirely separated from Google+. Having a Google+ account will add features to Hangouts, like in-call apps and adding entire circles to chats. It’s definitely beneficial to have a Google+ account, but no longer necessary. This should make using Hangouts easier for friends and family, especially those who aren’t tech literate.

I do all my calling and texting out from my Google Voice#. I downloaded the Hangouts Dialer a couple days ago but it won't work with the most current version of Hangouts available to me on play. I'll try sideloading from the apk link in the story. Thanks.

Use and recommend pocketcasts.

I just got a pebble smartwatch from a $99 deal through wife's facebook. My primary interests are for the FreeCaddie Golf GPS wrist access, access to Vera Z-wave home automation scenes, Google Tracks data while biking, and easy text message access. Other applets I've loaded are the Grill Timer with recommended grill times/ heat levels and a sleep movement tracker to alarm wake in a range period when not in deep sleep.

Also, recently got a Samsung Galaxy Victory phone from Freedom Pop as a backup phone. One time cost of about $80 and it gives me 200 free minutes, 200 free texts and 900MB data free every month with the ability to tether. No monthly charge. I'll see how long this lasts but good while it lasts. With the new hangouts can make unlimited calls and texts free over wifi.

I do all my calling and texting out from my Google Voice#. I downloaded the Hangouts Dialer a couple days ago but it won't work with the most current version of Hangouts available to me on play. I'll try sideloading from the apk link in the story. Thanks.

I just got a pebble smartwatch from a $99 deal through wife's facebook. My primary interests are for the FreeCaddie Golf GPS wrist access, access to Vera Z-wave home automation scenes, Google Tracks data while biking, and easy text message access. Other applets I've loaded are the Grill Timer with recommended grill times/ heat levels and a sleep movement tracker to alarm wake in a range period when not in deep sleep.

Also, recently got a Samsung Galaxy Victory phone from Freedom Pop as a backup phone. One time cost of about $80 and it gives me 200 free minutes, 200 free texts and 900MB data free every month with the ability to tether. No monthly charge. I'll see how long this lasts but good while it lasts. With the new hangouts can make unlimited calls and texts free over wifi.
Not sure when you last checked, but it looks like the Hangouts/Voice merger thing went live this morning.

Not sure when you last checked, but it looks like the Hangouts/Voice merger thing went live this morning.
I hope they keep this optional as I'm not a fan of Hangouts. From this report:

"Once you activate the feature, Google says you’ll no longer receive voicemail or text messages in the Voice app or website, instead, messages will make their way to Hangouts on your Android device or PC."

Just verified and still no version 2.3 for me. Still shows 2.1.2 as the current version. Hangouts Dialer says it's incompatible with my version. I think they are rolling it out gradually like they do their OS releases.

I hope they keep this optional as I'm not a fan of Hangouts. From this report:

"Once you activate the feature, Google says you’ll no longer receive voicemail or text messages in the Voice app or website, instead, messages will make their way to Hangouts on your Android device or PC."
Just verified and still no version 2.3 for me. Still shows 2.1.2 as the current version. Hangouts Dialer says it's incompatible with my version. I think they are rolling it out gradually like they do their OS releases.
Not sure exactly what has been done, but Hangouts just started giving me the option of dialing out.It was saying it needed an update yesterday. I'm fairly ignorant, so it might've always had that option.

That's what I meant by "merge", and I really have no idea if that word is accurate or what'll happen with Voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved my HTC Evo.

Best feature was resizing text to fit the screen after zooming in.

I was so pissed after buying my g3 and finding out it doesn't do it.

Is this the appropriate place to mention how silly it is that people stayed up most of the night in order to preorder inferior technology? :lol:

Is this the appropriate place to mention how silly it is that people stayed up most of the night in order to preorder inferior technology? :lol:
Is this also an appropriate place to mention how much my AAPL appreciates these people?

Is this also an appropriate place to mention how much my AAPL appreciates these people?
Paying $200 bucks extra for a bigger hardrive because there is no microSD port :lmao:

It's an annoying time of year ...Apple everything right after the keynote. Don't news outlets read spec sheets before they go on air?

When will people get it?!

Paying $200 bucks extra for a bigger hardrive because there is no microSD port :lmao:
Or removable battery. Or Widgets. :lmao: :lmao:
Widget convo was pretty hilarious. Reminds me when all the iSheep were making fun of large screens that they are now drooling over.

If nothing else that other thread is a great encouragement to invest in Apple stock. No matter what is released it gets the cult in a frenzy and they empty their wallets. I will probably never purchase an Apple product going forward, but I can certainly appreciate the tribe they have built, from a business perspective at least.

So what is this OnePlus I keep hearing about? It looks too good to be true, top of the line specs with a Nexus price tag. Anyone tried one out? What is the catch?

If nothing else that other thread is a great encouragement to invest in Apple stock. No matter what is released it gets the cult in a frenzy and they empty their wallets. I will probably never purchase an Apple product going forward, but I can certainly appreciate the tribe they have built, from a business perspective at least.
Actually switched over to the MacBook Air recently. They just make a much better laptop product than the 3rd Party guys. Also helps that Windows 8 sucks so bad the differences between OS have narrowed.

I use Stitcher. Allows downloading. Haven't looked for others - I did a search for podcasts, this one came up and worked well enough for me. Done.

It has access to virtually everything I've looked for, including your entire list (although I don't know what ATC is).

So what is this OnePlus I keep hearing about? It looks too good to be true, top of the line specs with a Nexus price tag. Anyone tried one out? What is the catch?
It's got some quirks. I'm not too much into the world of phones (like I said, my old one was the 4-years-old Nexus One) but it definitely gets the job done. I'm sure they've cut corners on some of the tech specs but I'm happy with it.

It is big, it's close to the size of the iPhone Plus. No removable battery and no removable micro-SD card slot. Software is CyanogenMod instead of real-deal android stock, but it's still a nice phone. MaxThreshold hooked me up with the invite. If I ever get another one I'll post it in the OnePlus thread.
Actually the specs are stellar.

The only issue thus far is availability.

It is big, it's close to the size of the iPhone Plus. No removable battery and no removable micro-SD card slot. Software is CyanogenMod instead of real-deal android stock, but it's still a nice phone. MaxThreshold hooked me up with the invite. If I ever get another one I'll post it in the OnePlus thread.
The only issue thus far is availability.
and the misogyny.... ;)

What lines are still doing removable batteries/storage?

GS3 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm sick of VZN throttling my unlimited data.

kardplayer said:

I use Stitcher. Allows downloading. Haven't looked for others - I did a search for podcasts, this one came up and worked well enough for me. Done.

It has access to virtually everything I've looked for, including your entire list (although I don't know what ATC is).
I'm using doggcatcher but if I had a more modern device i'd probably use pocketcasts

Those specs sound very similar to the upcoming Nexus 6, which Motorola is rumored to be making. I wonder if this is the Verizon "Nexus," since VZN hates Google/Nexus maybe they are just making a special carrier version they can slap their #### on. Sounds badass, I'll probably be looking at this and the OnePlus for my next upgrade. I'm assuming the turbo charger mentioned in the link would be compatible with all Motorola devices (G,X,Quark,N6)?

I use Doggcatcher for podcasts. At the time I found it, it was one of the few that allowed you to speed things up (albeit with another app). I listen to all my podcasts at 2x (and I'm still 2 months behind).

I just activated the Voice # -> Hangouts option - Voice has always been a bit buggy and it isn't getting much in the way of updates, while Hangouts is getting regular updates. My voice SMSs always seem to be delayed or behind anyways.

Those specs sound very similar to the upcoming Nexus 6, which Motorola is rumored to be making. I wonder if this is the Verizon "Nexus," since VZN hates Google/Nexus maybe they are just making a special carrier version they can slap their #### on. Sounds badass, I'll probably be looking at this and the OnePlus for my next upgrade. I'm assuming the turbo charger mentioned in the link would be compatible with all Motorola devices (G,X,Quark,N6)?
Just says "latest Moto phones", but I assume it'll work with a bunch of phones. $35 seems pretty cheap too.

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-batteries-chargers/Motorola-Turbo-Charger/motorola-turbo-charger-pdp.html#

Oh, and I don't know when you are looking to get a new phone, but the new Moto X has made the "Okay Google Now" feature to where you can say anything.

The phone can be across the room, on standby. You can say "Yo ##### help me" or "Talk to me, Goose" or whatever you'd like to call it and Google Now responds, ready to go. Throw in a beautiful, curved leather back, and I'm really pissed I didn't wait for it come out.

I'm using doggcatcher but if I had a more modern device i'd probably use pocketcasts
I use Beyond Pod - anyone else familiar with it. It seems easy and free but always open to something better.

Users who are viewing this thread