What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

Welp I didn't realize the S4 has a locked bootloader...so I just bought it and I'm gonna sell it. For now I updated the KitKat ROM I've been running on my S3.

Thinking about a Google phone. What's the latest somewhat affordable one? I remember they had one that came unlocked for around $350 last year. Anything around that price worth looking at?
My buddy bought an S5 dev edition. He's a hardcore Apple hater too. I told him not to accept OTA's because it locks the BL, and that he basically bought the Android version of an iPhone.

Samsung sucks. Great hardware (which you get with most flagships with other OEMs), horrid Touchwiz framework. Lemme repeat that: framework. Not skin. A locked, horrid, framework.

Anyone use Nova with the Tesla Unread Counter. My counter is not working for email on my Note 4. Very irritating.

Edit: finally got this to work. User error i guess. :shakeshead:
Tesla's great. It's Nova that i'm wondering about now.

As strange as I find it that people get so emotionally hung up on Apple/Android battles, this "true Android" vs Samsung stuff is that much stranger to me. Not that I don't understand there are differences - it's just that the differences are so magnified and people get so emotional about it. Such a huge percent of the typical user experience is basically the same no matter what phone you get these days.

As strange as I find it that people get so emotionally hung up on Apple/Android battles, this "true Android" vs Samsung stuff is that much stranger to me. Not that I don't understand there are differences - it's just that the differences are so magnified and people get so emotional about it. Such a huge percent of the typical user experience is basically the same no matter what phone you get these days.
The problem is some think Android is Sense/Touchwiz, which it isn't. Android is a kernel, basically. Touchwiz makes it worse.

I think I solved my external SD card issue in my GS3: I booted into Linux, used GParted to format the card in FAT 32, and so far, it works fine after a few weeks. God Bless Linux.

I think I solved my external SD card issue in my GS3: I booted into Linux, used GParted to format the card in FAT 32, and so far, it works fine after a few weeks. God Bless Linux.
i never had this problem but I'm not rooted :shrug:

The problem is some think Android is Sense/Touchwiz, which it isn't. Android is a kernel, basically. Touchwiz makes it worse.
Do you honestly think people in this thread don't know the difference between Android and Samsungs interface?

Nobody has ever clearly articulated to me what problems Touchwiz gives them. What the hell are you doing on your phone that you care so much about the framework?

Do you honestly think people in this thread don't know the difference between Android and Samsungs interface?
Why are you here? You've already crapped the bed in this thread.

Here is an example of what I'm saying: I'm stuck with a locked Touchwiz BL, so I can only use TW ROMS. I now use this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-verizon/development/rom-superliterom-v1-0-i535vrudne1-t2805797

Pay attention here bell, you might learn something for once in God's creation.

The ROM's size is around 530MB. It takes away most of the bloat of TW and Sammy crap that's in the stock rom (which also incudes KNOX).

You wanna know how large the stock ROM is?

It's over 1GB. A regular Android ASOP ROM is only around 300MB too.

The SL ROM is rock solid, and even with the TW framework, has hardly any lag.

That leaves me more room for things such as Xposed and modules, especially when it comes to resources and bootups.

Save it bell. You're boring.

ETA: just wanna give a special nod to the dev of this ROM. He develops all kinds of solid tweaks and modules, some you can swear by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trolling. Hint: There's more than one way people can enjoy android products. Doesn't make one right and one wrong

not sure how it's trolling when I've never owned an apple product

Not trolling. Hint: There's more than one way people can enjoy android products. Doesn't make one right and one wrong
You're not presenting any information, or any kind of a credible argument.

Either you're trolling, or just not very bright. That's not a hard choice.

Somehow i am able to type in this thread through the terrible, horrible, no good,very bad touchwiz interface.
LOOK AT ME! I'M DOING SOMETHING I COULD DO IN GINGERBREAD!
Look at me! I'm obsessing about squeezing out microseconds of speed from my phone that nobody can notice but i know its there damnit!
LOOK AT XDA! THERE ARE A LOT OF DEVELOPERS WHO THINK THE SAME WAY!

Sheesh.

:lol: yeah I'm not that smart. I had resort to personal insults in a phone thread. You keep on fighting the good fight

I hope my work on missile guided systems goes ok tomorrow

If possible, can we leave this thread to info and discussion? Ill start a new android pissing match thread if there is enough interest? :shrug:

If possible, can we leave this thread to info and discussion? Ill start a new android pissing match thread if there is enough interest? :shrug:
I'm just trying to help the users who keep installing battery helpers and task killers.

I actually love tech and think those that obsess about efficiency in general are pretty great. For me personally though Touchwiz is just fine.

lol - now I remember this guy. He makes this thread awful.

ETA: holy ##### it got worse after that post.

lol - now I remember this guy. He makes this thread awful.

ETA: holy ##### it got worse after that post.
i apologize for steering it off course. I'll be more better

Touchwiz vs. other skins isn't too big a deal. I really don't like how locked down the OS is either, but even then it is only an issue if you're going to root.

Show me a phone with "pure" Android that has top of the line hardware along with removable battery and SD slot. :shrug:

The OnePlus One has enough specs to overcome the last two, but you cannot get one right now.

Touchwiz vs. other skins isn't too big a deal. I really don't like how locked down the OS is either, but even then it is only an issue if you're going to root.

Show me a phone with "pure" Android that has top of the line hardware along with removable battery and SD slot. :shrug:

The OnePlus One has enough specs to overcome the last two, but you cannot get one right now.
Isn't the Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition "pure" Android?

It also deleted a folder on my second home page. I can't remember what apps were in it though... there's just a blank space where the folder used to be. The heck?

Must not have been very important I guess.

EYLive said:
It also deleted a folder on my second home page. I can't remember what apps were in it though... there's just a blank space where the folder used to be. The heck?

Did you do the OTA update, or sideload it?

Sideloading resets all your settings etc. OTA shouldnt

EYLive said:
:oldunsure:

Yowzers, Lollipop will take some getting used to. I'm old and set in my ways!! :nerd:
Yeah I am having a hard time getting past the lock screen. And what's the deal with the carousel design when you click on the active apps button. No shtick, I feel like a caveman using this new os.

EYLive said:

Yowzers, Lollipop will take some getting used to. I'm old and set in my ways!! :nerd:
Yeah I am having a hard time getting past the lock screen. And what's the deal with the carousel design when you click on the active apps button. No shtick, I feel like a caveman using this new os.
Huh. I have the carousel with Touchwiz Kitkat.

EYLive said:

Huh. I have the carousel with Touchwiz Kitkat.
No, lollipop has what looks like a material design rolodex

I know im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am also not an idiot. I read that drummer post twice and have absolutely zero clue what the hell he is talking about

EYLive said:

Did you do the OTA update, or sideload it?

Sideloading resets all your settings etc. OTA shouldnt
OTA update. Now I have to manually turn off notifications.

I have a small leak in my roof that dripped on my phone last night. It works but corroded the charging port. I only have 53% battery left and it won't take a charge. I think I may go to Verizon at lunch and get a Note 4. I'm a month early, so it may be a hassle to upgrade.

don't like how lollipop killed the stock email app and moved all email to gmail app. I liked the old one as I could access exchange server and gmail server in one app. New gmail app does this too but I can't turn off conversation view in gmail which I detest. tried "nine" which looks awesome but I can't add gmail to it. is there an app which works for both gmail and exchange accounts, and lets you turn off conversation view?

don't like how lollipop killed the stock email app and moved all email to gmail app. I liked the old one as I could access exchange server and gmail server in one app. New gmail app does this too but I can't turn off conversation view in gmail which I detest. tried "nine" which looks awesome but I can't add gmail to it. is there an app which works for both gmail and exchange accounts, and lets you turn off conversation view?
ooh I don't like that. I liked my stock app icon showing me unread emails. I set up my other email and don't like the defaults in the gmail app

Finally got the update to my Nexus 7. Still tinkering around, but it seems faster.
Not so lucky here. Applied the OTA update on my Nexus 7 2013 wifi. And now couple minutes after bootup the system resets and if left alone is in a continuous reset cycle. The only way I can keep it running is if I start-up in safe mode. I was running stock Kitkat with factory bootloader/recovery but I was rooted. It seems it is resetting when some background app is loading. I've uninstalled most all of my root apps I can think of with no luck yet. Ugh!

Uggh. I hope this is Nexus only and not Samsung. The regular email app is great. Gmail app, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread