What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

East Coast Bias said:
Just bought a G3 off ebay. Coming from an iPhone 5. Anyone use wireless charging?
Wireless charging is awesome. might seem too simple and overlooked, but just laying your phone down on a pad is awesome.

East Coast Bias said:
Just bought a G3 off ebay. Coming from an iPhone 5. Anyone use wireless charging?
Wireless charging is awesome. might seem too simple and overlooked, but just laying your phone down on a pad is awesome.
Talk to me about wireless charging. Does it charge faster? What's the difference between having to plug my phone into a charger or laying it down on a pad? Wireless charging doesn't seem cheaper.

East Coast Bias said:
Talk to me about wireless charging. Does it charge faster? What's the difference between having to plug my phone into a charger or laying it down on a pad? Wireless charging doesn't seem cheaper.
Not faster.

Its easier to set it down than to fiddle with a micro USB.

Its not expensive. My charger was like $19 including shipping.

East Coast Bias said:
Not faster.

Interesting. I thought the chargers were more expensive.

East Coast Bias said:
Not faster.

Interesting. I thought the chargers were more expensive.
Sure, if you buy the wrong one. Browse Amazon, you can find some decent ones that are cheap.

Odd situation on my note 3.

Was playing clash of clans last night with my charger plugged in. Stock charger, not third party. The battery was draining even on the charger.

I downloaded battery doctor after a hard reboot. When I go to battery doctor I click save power and every time there are apps that I haven't opened in weeks.

Is there any way to turn these apps off so they don't ever run.

Ill click force stop but that current do the trick. Battery draining quick every time I check.

Was playing clash of clans last night with my charger plugged in. Stock charger, not third party. The battery was draining even on the charger.

I downloaded battery doctor after a hard reboot. When I go to battery doctor I click save power and every time there are apps that I haven't opened in weeks.

Ill click force stop but that current do the trick. Battery draining quick every time I check.
Greenify?

Greenify?
pretend Im stupid. Which isn't to much of a stretch

Greenify?
pretend Im stupid. Which isn't to much of a stretch
It's an app available in the play store... check it out. It allows you to "hibernate" designated apps.

Looking into some Square Register or PayPal here options....is the compatibility with Android tablets ever going be anything other than crap?

I used the basic card reader on an old Android phone a while back, and it worked fine for a while, then just stopped. We tried a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 that I could never get working with it.

Ideally, I'd like to get a Nexus tablet rolling with one of these, but best I can tell, none even pretend to support a Nexus tab. Just ####### Samsung (which I've already had bad luck with). I see Square supports the Asus Memo Pad, which I've never even heard of.

Amazon Register looks like a nice new product, but I'm assuming that's a "buy an iPad or a Kindle or #### off" sort of situation too.

Any ideas for someone wanting to run one of these programs on a tablet without buying iPads? Meaning register/POS sort of system, not just mobile processing.

And why the hell hasn't Google entered this market themselves? (Is that pretty much what we've got to wait for?)

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has a S3 and when she tries to use the key pad while in conversation the screen goes black. Thoughts?

My wife has a S3 and when she tries to use the key pad while in conversation the screen goes black. Thoughts?
Did you try opening the phone dialer, hit menu button, go into Call Settings, uncheck option to turn off screen during calls?

There are apps that show up even in the standard apps screen as running that don't necessarily take up processor time nor battery use. This really depends on what apps you are seeing there. Do those apps actually show as draining the battery? Check the battery usage monitor (standard android under Battery) to see if those apps show up as draining the battery.

This is the most awesome thing ever for Android, and what's better: you can install this on your Windows based PC too!:

http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=25

I use it on both my device and my PC. The cool thing about this is Impulse Response Sample. I have a ton of IRS files that sort of model all kinds headphones and VST plugins, the bass response is flat out out of this world, XClarity can make the smallest drivers sound rich....this is great stuff. Try this out on your PC if you don't have root for your device, and if ya do, install it. If you need more IRS files, PM me. Ya gotta have this. It's highly recommended.

ETA: with this I don't need an app like Poweramp. I can use CyanMod's old Apollo app and get great DSP. You can use this with Pandora or any app, since it's more an overall "system" app or sound server. It's better than Poweramp, and if you have PA installed, it can work with it. You want Beats Audio? It's there. You want an AKG or Sony headphone profile? Here ya go with IRS files. You want a Studer A80HalfInch +1db profile? Yes sir, here it is. That with vintage tube simulation? You have old school at your service.

Right now I am streaming Rory Gallagher via Spotify through Viper and a JoeMeek IRS profile that is just screamin'. Great stuff.

ETA II: here is Viper being used on my desktop: http://i61.tinypic.com/1z1y1df.jpg

It seems a lot are speculating that it might be, but I can't imagine why it would be. A nearly 6" phone is going to be a niche product, so it wouldn't make any sense to make that the only option for Google's flagship. I'd have to think these are two entirely separate products.

Been wearing a Moto360 for about 2 weeks now. Workmate got it from GoogleIO, and he is an Apple guy, so asked me if I wanted to use it for a bit.

Had to get used to wearing a watch again, haven't worn one since I got my first cell phone probably except for nice occasions. My impressions so far is that I would be pretty disappointed if I had spent $250 on it, but it does offer a few nice features. One thing I wasn't expecting was how much more aware of my notifications I now am, I've always been the kind of person to ignore my phone buzzing, but with it on my watch, I'll just glance at the screen and know it's an email or SMS, etc, and whether its something I need to worry about. My current feeling is that me personally, I'd wait for the next generation and for Android to hit the style phase and offer a really nice watch for the $200-$250 these go for.

It has varied wildly in battery life, one or two days it was dead by late afternoon, other times it lasted nearly 2 days. I can't really say I've been doing anything different from one day to the other, but obviously something I'm doing on certain days is more battery intensive.

Killer apps:

• Mini Launcher (by default it can be a bit of a pain to navigate to the default launcher, I see this app being a default feature in an upcoming version)
  • Remote Camera (stop it, get your mind outta the gutter, it's actually nice to be able to trigger the camera from the watch)
  • Sleep as a Droid (this is in beta, just started testing it, tracks your sleep quality using the watch's motion sensor rather than having to have your phone on the mattress next to you)
  • Alarm (vibrate the watch on your wrist instead of a beeping alarm, this is actually pretty awesome)

Did you try opening the phone dialer, hit menu button, go into Call Settings, uncheck option to turn off screen during calls?
No. :bag:
That's the proximity sensor triggering. Try using Smart Stay in the display options if Bucks' suggestion didn't work. Disabling the screen off option should work though, unless there is a 3rd party app borking it.

For those rooters out there, where's the latest and greatest roms? I used to be really into it, and my original Droid X was never a problem. A few years ago, I got a Samsung Galaxy III when they came out. Flashing it didn't go as well. I ended up with CyanogenMod on it, and something is wrong with it. My phone works, but it will drop out much more often than it should. When I'm on it, I basically have to pace around my house trying to find a good spot. And I'm on Verizon. Sometimes it just restarts on it's own, and it says my system UID is not consistent.

So, bottom line, I need to spend an afternoon reflashing this thing. But, it's been a few years since I have done it, and I don't even know where to look anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Will take a PM, if necessary.
If you got the latest KitKat OTA, where the baseband version ends with an NE, you're hosed with ROMs. Don't even try it unless you want to brick the device hard. The bootloader is locked for good, unless you send it to MobileTechVideos for a version downgrade. You can't even downgrade via Odin. The only thing you can do is root it with towelroot, use a specific custom recovery in Safestrap, and then the only options you have is Xposed for customization and custom apps. You're stuck with Touchwiz. You can't load any AOSP ROM's, or even Wicked Sensations, which is based on 4.3. Basically, once you are on stock 4.4.2, that's it. Devs are fast giving up on the S3, and Sammy is gonna give up on it too because they want you to buy their latest bloat phone.

Sammy flagships have a life of about 8 months, outside of the Note, which even then has it's life against the latest Sammy floods of devices. If you want to do anything custom going forward, avoid Sammy since the TW framework (it's not just a skin) is closed source.

Been wearing a Moto360 for about 2 weeks now. Workmate got it from GoogleIO, and he is an Apple guy, so asked me if I wanted to use it for a bit.

Had to get used to wearing a watch again, haven't worn one since I got my first cell phone probably except for nice occasions. My impressions so far is that I would be pretty disappointed if I had spent $250 on it, but it does offer a few nice features. One thing I wasn't expecting was how much more aware of my notifications I now am, I've always been the kind of person to ignore my phone buzzing, but with it on my watch, I'll just glance at the screen and know it's an email or SMS, etc, and whether its something I need to worry about. My current feeling is that me personally, I'd wait for the next generation and for Android to hit the style phase and offer a really nice watch for the $200-$250 these go for.

It has varied wildly in battery life, one or two days it was dead by late afternoon, other times it lasted nearly 2 days. I can't really say I've been doing anything different from one day to the other, but obviously something I'm doing on certain days is more battery intensive.

Killer apps:

• Mini Launcher (by default it can be a bit of a pain to navigate to the default launcher, I see this app being a default feature in an upcoming version)
  • Remote Camera (stop it, get your mind outta the gutter, it's actually nice to be able to trigger the camera from the watch)
  • Sleep as a Droid (this is in beta, just started testing it, tracks your sleep quality using the watch's motion sensor rather than having to have your phone on the mattress next to you)
  • Alarm (vibrate the watch on your wrist instead of a beeping alarm, this is actually pretty awesome)
If you're wearing it at night for those last two features then when are you charging it?

For those rooters out there, where's the latest and greatest roms? I used to be really into it, and my original Droid X was never a problem. A few years ago, I got a Samsung Galaxy III when they came out. Flashing it didn't go as well. I ended up with CyanogenMod on it, and something is wrong with it. My phone works, but it will drop out much more often than it should. When I'm on it, I basically have to pace around my house trying to find a good spot. And I'm on Verizon. Sometimes it just restarts on it's own, and it says my system UID is not consistent.

So, bottom line, I need to spend an afternoon reflashing this thing. But, it's been a few years since I have done it, and I don't even know where to look anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Will take a PM, if necessary.
If you got the latest KitKat OTA, where the baseband version ends with an NE, you're hosed with ROMs. Don't even try it unless you want to brick the device hard. The bootloader is locked for good, unless you send it to MobileTechVideos for a version downgrade. You can't even downgrade via Odin. The only thing you can do is root it with towelroot, use a specific custom recovery in Safestrap, and then the only options you have is Xposed for customization and custom apps. You're stuck with Touchwiz. You can't load any AOSP ROM's, or even Wicked Sensations, which is based on 4.3. Basically, once you are on stock 4.4.2, that's it. Devs are fast giving up on the S3, and Sammy is gonna give up on it too because they want you to buy their latest bloat phone.

Sammy flagships have a life of about 8 months, outside of the Note, which even then has it's life against the latest Sammy floods of devices. If you want to do anything custom going forward, avoid Sammy since the TW framework (it's not just a skin) is closed source.
:confused:

I rooted my s3 after the KitKat OTA update and have been running AOSP roms with no problems. If anything it was easier because I could use TowelRoot.

Killer apps:

If you're wearing it at night for those last two features then when are you charging it?
Ha, that was actually one of the tougher things to figure out. So far I'm charging it at my desk (at work or at home). Thankfully it charges really quick, generally less than an hour to full battery from somewhere close to empty.

Anyone using auto upload for their photos?

This #### is confusing. My N4 and N7 both sync to "the cloud" and it is cool for the most part but I really have no idea how this works. Seems like my uploaded photos can be accessed through the photos app and also the photos section of Google plus. If I want to delete something from the photo app gallery it says "delete everywhere" and I assume it is gone. What is the best way to manage all these uploaded photos? Using the photo app itself or the g+ app? Any difference between doing this on mobile vs a laptop? It would be nice to know if I delete something it is actually deleted everywhere, but I have a feeling that is not the case.

Just watched the movie Sex Tape and now I'm paranoid a little bit. Also, I had downloaded the fpning file from a torrent app on the tablet and apparently all those photos were conveniently auto uploaded to Google's cloud. I'm a little nervous to even open my photo gallery app in public or to try and show friends pics that I have taken because no telling what is going to show up thanks to the cloud. :bag:

I think the google photo app is better to use than the stock because it has the "delete everywhere" function.

It also puts most recent pictures last. My stock Samsung photo app has a bunch of folders in alphabetical order. Its easier to navigate for me.

Make sure to turn on upload over WiFi only. Also, you may not want to backup all of your videos due to the large size.

Has anyone tried a FAKE GPS app and then signed up for Sunday ticket or NHL Game center etc?
I used a VPN to sign up for NFL Game Pass, it KILLs DirecTV (which I had last year). Still hadn't figured out how to get Game Pass app on my phone, but gonna give the Fake GPS a shot.

So Fake GPS didn't work, but I found a copy of the NFL Game Pass APK on XDA forums (which I tend to trust not to be full of scummy people peddling spyware). I still have to connect to my VPN to launch the app, but once launched, it works good. Gonna give it a shot with the Chromecast "cast entire screen" feature this week.

Anyone using auto upload for their photos?

This #### is confusing. My N4 and N7 both sync to "the cloud" and it is cool for the most part but I really have no idea how this works. Seems like my uploaded photos can be accessed through the photos app and also the photos section of Google plus. If I want to delete something from the photo app gallery it says "delete everywhere" and I assume it is gone. What is the best way to manage all these uploaded photos? Using the photo app itself or the g+ app? Any difference between doing this on mobile vs a laptop? It would be nice to know if I delete something it is actually deleted everywhere, but I have a feeling that is not the case.

Just watched the movie Sex Tape and now I'm paranoid a little bit. Also, I had downloaded the fpning file from a torrent app on the tablet and apparently all those photos were conveniently auto uploaded to Google's cloud. I'm a little nervous to even open my photo gallery app in public or to try and show friends pics that I have taken because no telling what is going to show up thanks to the cloud. :bag:
I find it much easier to just use the camera upload feature of whatever your cloud storage of choice is (IE Dropbox). It's usually a simple checkbox in that app's settings and that's all there is to it.

Has anyone tried the "google now launcher"? It allows you to use it instead of the Samsung Touch wiz.

I'm kind of used to touch wiz now, so probably won't mess with it unless their are any obvious benefits.

Has anyone tried the "google now launcher"? It allows you to use it instead of the Samsung Touch wiz.

I'm kind of used to touch wiz now, so probably won't mess with it unless their are any obvious benefits.
I use the Google Now launcher. I have a Google Play Edition phone (pure Android) and the Now launcher is pretty nice and minimal. The Google Now widget is always on the left-most card, and it's usually pretty useful. Only tricky thing was figuring out how to add a new screen, all you do is touch/hold/drag an app to the new screen (to the right) and drop it there. I kept looking for ways to add the screen first, but it creates it when you add an app.

Maelstrom said:
Quez said:

I use the Google Now launcher. I have a Google Play Edition phone (pure Android) and the Now launcher is pretty nice and minimal. The Google Now widget is always on the left-most card, and it's usually pretty useful. Only tricky thing was figuring out how to add a new screen, all you do is touch/hold/drag an app to the new screen (to the right) and drop it there. I kept looking for ways to add the screen first, but it creates it when you add an app.
I am using it on my phone (Motorola Maxx) and tablet. Pretty basic but works well. I also struggled at first trying to figure out how to add a new screen.

Last looks like that 5.9" phone will be a Nexus, but Nexus might come out with 2 phones this year.

Refer to the Apple thread for tips on making cardboard cutouts.

Maelstrom said:
Has anyone tried a FAKE GPS app and then signed up for Sunday ticket or NHL Game center etc?
I used a VPN to sign up for NFL Game Pass, it KILLs DirecTV (which I had last year). Still hadn't figured out how to get Game Pass app on my phone, but gonna give the Fake GPS a shot.

So Fake GPS didn't work, but I found a copy of the NFL Game Pass APK on XDA forums (which I tend to trust not to be full of scummy people peddling spyware). I still have to connect to my VPN to launch the app, but once launched, it works good. Gonna give it a shot with the Chromecast "cast entire screen" feature this week.
why the need for vpn?

do you mean proxy instead of vpn? Make it seem like from another locale right?

do you mean proxy instead of vpn? Make it seem like from another locale right?
Nope, VPN, with the endpoint in a different locale outside the US. Proxy would probably work as well, but a VPN also has the added benefit of encrypting all your traffic if that is ever a concern (at least, that's why I already have an account for a VPN).

:confused:

I rooted my s3 after the KitKat OTA update and have been running AOSP roms with no problems. If anything it was easier because I could use TowelRoot.
Are you on 4.4.2? Because if you can boot into an AOSP Rom without bricking, then a lot of people over at XDA would give you a load of cash, right now.

BTW, I am specifcally talking about S3's on VZW, so sorry if confused anybody.

Are there any apps or tricks to increase the volume on Nexus devices? The audio on my 4&7 both suck at max volume. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread