Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Buddy Ball 2K3

All Android/Google All the Time

On 6/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, BlueDredSo said:

0% interest over 24 months - not everyone is a footballguy with unlimited funds

I am going to go out on a limb and imagine that if a person needs to finance $900 or less, they probably aren't getting the 0%.

Buy a cheaper phone imo.

Edited by matuski

3 hours ago, dorno said:

Finally found a good enough deal on the S10+. Bought brand new from eBay for $650 and will be delivered Tuesday.  As much as I'm going to miss the software of the Oneplus devises I just didn't want a phone that was so tall. To go from the 3T to the 7 pro it would have been almost half an inch taller. By going with the 10+ I get an phone that's a hair taller with the same width. If I hate it hopefully they release a slightly smaller 7T pro.

I didn't realize this.  Nice catch.

2 hours ago, matuski said:

I am going to go out on a limb and imagine that if a person needs to finance $900 or less, they probably aren't getting the 0%.

Buy a cheaper phone imo.

:confused: It's essentially an installment plan and very common when buying from a carrier.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matuski said:

I didn't realize this.  Nice catch.

Not to mention the difference in weight. Roughly 1.7oz more for the 7 pro. Here's the actual difference in size. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EYLive said:

:confused: It's essentially an installment plan and very common when buying from a carrier.

I gather it is common.. I question the 0% financing/installment plan for the customer that has to finance 3 figures to begin with (is this person getting 0%?).  I question if that is the smart play versus a cheaper phone.

More directly, I am opining that people are buying phones they can't afford.

Edited by matuski

10 hours ago, matuski said:

I gather it is common.. I question the 0% financing/installment plan for the customer that has to finance 3 figures to begin with (is this person getting 0%?).  I question if that is the smart play versus a cheaper phone.

More directly, I am opining that people are buying phones they can't afford.

Is this schtick?  Most carriers give you the one time payment or monthly payments with no interest.  I  "financed" my daughter's $200 phone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Is this schtick?  Most carriers give you the one time payment or monthly payments with no interest.  I  "financed" my daughter's $200 phone

OK - I don't see the appeal there, but for the masses I assume they are financing a phone because they can't pay for the phone up front.

Are the people that can't afford the phone up front actually getting the 0% financing?  Is there not a credit check/requirement here?

Edited by matuski

1 hour ago, matuski said:

OK - I don't see the appeal there, but for the masses I assume they are financing a phone because they can't pay for the phone up front.

Are the people that can't afford the phone up front actually getting the 0% financing?  Is there not a credit check/requirement here?

Regardless of the price, why should we pay for the phone when the carrier will let us "finance" it with 0% financing?  Verizon is a 24 mo payment plan, which essentially takes the place of the 2 year contract.  Why should I pony up whatever amount up front when the carrier will let me go with no interest and I can keep the money in my checking account which earns 3.5% interest?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snellman said:

Regardless of the price, why should we pay for the phone when the carrier will let us "finance" it with 0% financing?  Verizon is a 24 mo payment plan, which essentially takes the place of the 2 year contract.  Why should I pony up whatever amount up front when the carrier will let me go with no interest and I can keep the money in my checking account which earns 3.5% interest?

you answered your own question. 

7 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

you answered your own question. 

But you can pay off at anytime if you want to leave

2 hours ago, snellman said:

Nobody is answering the question.

What are the credit requirements for the 0%.

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front.

Edited by matuski

53 minutes ago, belljr said:

But you can pay off at anytime if you want to leave

Unless you can't.

1 hour ago, matuski said:

I don't have a clue as I've never financed a phone before. I buy my phones through eBay or Oneplus and pay the bill when it comes due. You'd think they have some sort of credit check at least. Maybe bill payment history is a good enough indicator about credit worthiness for them. 

Just swapped an old iPhone 6 Plus for a Pixel 3a XL.  I expect to lose the next week of my life transitioning apps, texts, etc.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

6 hours ago, matuski said:

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front.

Don't have a clue what the credit requirements are for the 0%. My guess is if your credit isn't good enough to get a cell phone plan, you probably aren't going to get the payment option either.

I won't be switching carriers anytime in the near future.  Unfortunately, Verizon gets the best signal in the area I live so we are pretty much stuck with them.

7 hours ago, matuski said:

If your logic is you want to earn a couple bucks a month interest... alrighty.  But that isn't answering my question about those that are financing because they cant afford to pay up front

I think depending on your credit score, all the big companies may require a down payment, but then it's still 0%. 

You're not locked into a contract, as you can pay off the entire balance at once if you want (but otherwise can't pay it off at a faster rate than the standard plan) but most people will effectively feel stuck to that service company because they don't want to pay the full balance.  I'm sure that's why the company offers the installment plan without interest. 

If you have no reason to switch service companies anyway, I'm not sure why you would feel the need to pay it all at once if it isn't costing you any extra by spacing it out. 

34 minutes ago, jhib said:

I think depending on your credit score, all the big companies may require a down payment, but then it's still 0%. 

You're not locked into a contract, as you can pay off the entire balance at once if you want (but otherwise can't pay it off at a faster rate than the standard plan) but most people will effectively feel stuck to that service company because they don't want to pay the full balance.  I'm sure that's why the company offers the installment plan without interest. 

If you have no reason to switch service companies anyway, I'm not sure why you would feel the need to pay it all at once if it isn't costing you any extra by spacing it out. 

I prefer to budget and pay once.  Rather have lower monthly bill.  Seems an easy way to sucker yourself into buying a new phone every 2 years.. hey it won't increase my payment!

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, matuski said:

T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. all do credit checks when you purchase a new phone or new plan.

23 minutes ago, matuski said:

I prefer to budget and pay once.  Rather have lower monthly bill.  Seems an easy way to sucker yourself into buying a new phone every 2 years.. hey it won't increase my payment!

When I bought my last phone (a Samsung Galaxy S8 probably 3 years ago now), I think it cost me around $800.00. I was willing to pay the entire price in the store, but they told me that I can only make a partial payment (it may have been the 1st monthly payment, etc.). I'm not sure if they changed their rules or not, but I paid off the phone about 1 month later through the website. There was no interest, and the plan would have made me pay ~$30 a month for 2-3 years until it was paid off. Personally, I don't like giant balances, even with no interest, and just want it off of me.

9 hours ago, matuski said:

Typically, communication companies are most concerned about your identify. A lot of their checks are about confirming you are alive and through their identify checks to have a high level of confidence that you are not a fraudulent consumer. They may have some actual credit checks that require you to make a larger downpayment, etc. on a phone based on your actual credit being poor (missed payments, low FICO, etc.).

Android 9 takes up 8.8gb on my wife's Pixel2,  but 14 gb on my Moto X4 (same on my son's moto).  Does anyone know why this is or if anything can be done to reduce the size on our Moto phones?  I've spent some time googling this and come up empty.

tia

Has anyone else pre-ordered the Nest Hub Max?  $230 seems steep, and an added camera and larger screen alone aren't worth the price.  Imo, the speaker on this thing is gonna be legit.  3" woofer, better than the og Google home, but not quite as powerful as the home max.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, matuski said:

I may be in the minority but I can expense my phone bill. Adding a $30ish dollar charge per month doesn't phase my company. If I dropped $700 on one expense report they would not look too kindly on it. 

Otherwise I get where you're coming from. The subsidized days are over but cell companies are trying to get back to that.

8 hours ago, strykerpks said:

I may be in the minority but I can expense my phone bill. Adding a $30ish dollar charge per month doesn't phase my company. If I dropped $700 on one expense report they would not look too kindly on it. 

Otherwise I get where you're coming from. The subsidized days are over but cell companies are trying to get back to that.

That is a good reason.

• Like 1

Time for a 3 week review of the S10 plus.

-Battery life is obviously better than my 2.5 year old phone. Still trying to gauge sot but on some days easily 7 hours of sot.

-Size is comparable enough that I don't notice the extra height of the phone compared to my 3T. Any taller though and I'd hate it.

-Weight difference is definitely noticeable. By going .6 ounces heavier with the S10+ it's very noticeable. 7 pro is like 1.6 ounces heavier than the 3T so that would have been no bueno.

-I will say this screen is amazing. Colors pop and brightness levels are great even in full sun. Easily the best screen on any phone I've owned.

-Fingerprint sensor is still a work in progress. Still trying to get the placement of where to put my finger at most of the time. Face unlock is also a bit wonky sometimes. There's times it'll work perfectly then others it doesn't do so well. Maybe I'm just spoiled from better than average software from Oneplus.

-I haven't played with the cameras much to give a review yet.

Edited by dorno
Added stuff

28 minutes ago, dorno said:

Time for a 3 week review of the S10 plus.

-Battery life is obviously better than my 2.5 year old phone. Still trying to gauge sot but on some days easily 7 hours of sot.

-Size is comparable enough that I don't notice the extra height of the phone compared to my 3T. Any taller though and I'd hate it.

-Weight difference is definitely noticeable. By going .6 ounces heavier with the S10+ it's very noticeable. 7 pro is like 1.6 ounces heavier than the 3T so that would have been no bueno.

-I will say this screen is amazing. Colors pop and brightness levels are great even in full sun. Easily the best screen on any phone I've owned.

-Fingerprint sensor is still a work in progress. Still trying to get the placement of where to put my finger at most of the time. Face unlock is also a bit wonky sometimes. There's times it'll work perfectly then others it doesn't do so well. Maybe I'm just spoiled from better than average software from Oneplus.

-I haven't played with the cameras much to give a review yet.

The fingerprint scanner is definitely a disappointment. My OG pixel with the scanner on the back was perfect. Other than that, my S10+ is pretty great.

Edited by cap'n grunge

I'm seriously considering getting the Redmi K20 Pro when they're more available in the US. I wish it had wireless charging, but it checks pretty much all the other boxes. I almost never take selfies so the pop up camera is no big deal.

2 hours ago, EYLive said:

I'm seriously considering getting the Redmi K20 Pro when they're more available in the US. I wish it had wireless charging, but it checks pretty much all the other boxes. I almost never take selfies so the pop up camera is no big deal.

Unless they add radios good luck getting 4G. They at most have 1 or 2 bands of 4G on each carrier.

Radio bands

Talking about radios I almost forgot something. The radios in the S10 are inferior to what Oneplus was using 3 years ago. In places at work where I'd get spotty service with my 3T I usually don't get any service with my S10.