What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (2 Viewers)

The time has come for a new phone. My GS3 just eats batteries now. I'm out of contract, so can really get anything. What is the best phone to get?

I upgraded from the Moto G to the One Plus. Already sold the Moto. I'm looking for something for the wife similar to the Moto G, or in fact the Moto G. Anything better/cheaper than than the G? She doesnt need anything spectacular.

So - if you were gonna buy a sub 200 dollar phone, contract free, what would you get?

I upgraded from the Moto G to the One Plus. Already sold the Moto. I'm looking for something for the wife similar to the Moto G, or in fact the Moto G. Anything better/cheaper than than the G? She doesnt need anything spectacular.

So - if you were gonna buy a sub 200 dollar phone, contract free, what would you get?
Last years Moto X? I'd make sure any device is L ready though. Android L is gonna be awesome.

Chrome is much much better after this last update
took me forever to find the dang refresh button
Yah. Hate how they hid it.
Seriously. With the full screen "immersion" or whatever it's called once you start scrolling who cares about a little circle arrow at the top of the screen that disappears? Minimalist bastards.
Lol, I love the minimalism. I'm going full minimal Android, single home screen (ok maybe just two more but hardly used) total voice/gestures command, with Heads-Up style notifications. If I only Google Now was more customizable as a sort of blink feed and launcher, that would be a second page.

Got the galaxy s5 yesterday.

Getting used to it but so far I like it.

Need to get used to the magazine and other new features.

Nexus 5 is about to have its price slashed to clear stock imo.

I'm starting to get comfortable w/ the idea of the Shamu. I thought it would maybe be too big, but its actually smaller than the iPhone 6+ despite having a much larger screen.

Slapdash said:
Shamu looks nice, but I really hate the idea of a non-removable battery...
It seems like there are two types of people who own cell phones. Those that can't imagine not having a removable battery and those who can't understand why you just don't plug your phone in to charge like the other 95% of people with cell phones. If there is no removable battery and you are worried about being somewhere without electricity couldn't you always use one of those little battery backup devices?

Slapdash said:
It seems like there are two types of people who own cell phones. Those that can't imagine not having a removable battery and those who can't understand why you just don't plug your phone in to charge like the other 95% of people with cell phones. If there is no removable battery and you are worried about being somewhere without electricity couldn't you always use one of those little battery backup devices?
um i think it's more the battery dies permanentlyand it's not a cheap and easy replacement

I like being able to quickly swap out the battery after work when I am headed out to a game or something to instantly get back to 100%.

Slapdash said:
don't people typically upgrade their phone before the battery has a chance to fail?
Yeah, I've had a long line of really ####ty phones that I typically keep past the upgrade date. I've never had a battery fail.

It's only recently that I've come to learn the the 2nd battery thing was a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like being able to quickly swap out the battery after work when I am headed out to a game or something to instantly get back to 100%.
yes.

And it's even better when you are going to be headed out for a day of skiing, hiking, or for a long tailgate/sporting event and you can throw a spare battery or two in your pocket and know there is no way you are going to run out of juice over the course of the day.

There are some fantastic phones out there with non-removable batteries.. but I'm never going to buy one.

um i think it's more the battery dies permanentlyand it's not a cheap and easy replacement
3rd..... you can even buy extended batteries that are physically bigger so you don't need to carry a spare battery if you don't mind the extra thickness.

All these reasons are why removable batteries are a must for me, especially the first point. I don't plan on upgrading my next phone until I really have too because I don't see any major cell phone improvements on the horizon.

Got the note 4 today. Initial impression vs my s4 is how much faster this is. Screen is beautiful. After I get use to it I will give full review. I am hoping the s pen works well as I am hoping to take notes with it for work. Any questions I will try to answer.

There were still lots of iZombies buying the iPhone.

Got the note 4 today. Initial impression vs my s4 is how much faster this is. Screen is beautiful. After I get use to it I will give full review. I am hoping the s pen works well as I am hoping to take notes with it for work. Any questions I will try to answer.

I am surprised how much I use the s pen

I'm starting to use it more now for notes.i just read the differences between the 3 and 4.

I'm starting to use it more now for notes.i just read the differences between the 3 and 4.
Do you know how to create folders on the note 4? On my s4 I just clicked on the button in the left corner and saw create folder. Doesn't work on the note 4.

Also what are you guys using the s pen for? I'm in Sales and am hoping to use it to take lite notes during meetings

I have been using the s pen with s note synched to evernote for soccer practices.

And I use action memo a lot just to jot something down. Only problem is I never delete them so I have a hundred non sensical action memos.

Do you know how to create folders on the note 4? On my s4 I just clicked on the button in the left corner and saw create folder. Doesn't work on the note 4. Also what are you guys using the s pen for? I'm in Sales and am hoping to use it to take lite notes during meetings
folder where? Home screen or app tray?either way hit the option button create folder on my note 3

Do you know how to create folders on the note 4? On my s4 I just clicked on the button in the left corner and saw create folder. Doesn't work on the note 4.Also what are you guys using the s pen for? I'm in Sales and am hoping to use it to take lite notes during meetings
folder where? Home screen or app tray?either way hit the option button create folder on my note 3
I want to create a folder on my home screen. Before I would click on the button on the lower left corner and be given an option to create folder. Now you cannot do that. Any ideas? Also what is 'app tray'?

I have a note 3 and create a folder exactly as you said

what shows up when you hit the option button on the home screen?

Do you know how to create folders on the note 4? On my s4 I just clicked on the button in the left corner and saw create folder. Doesn't work on the note 4.Also what are you guys using the s pen for? I'm in Sales and am hoping to use it to take lite notes during meetings
I want to create a folder on my home screen. Before I would click on the button on the lower left corner and be given an option to create folder. Now you cannot do that. Any ideas? Also what is 'app tray'?
go to apps. Then hit the settings in the lower left. Create folder

go to apps. Then hit the settings in the lower left. Create folder
WOW!! You're money!!! Thanks. HTF did you figure that out?

Thanks for the battery responses. I guess it is one of those don't know what you are missing until you try it things. I do hate it when my phone dies halfway through a vacation or unexpected bender.

I thought I read somewhere that the time it takes to completely recharge a battery is being greatly reduced on newer devices. So you will be able to charge with a mobile charger ot wall charger much easier. Eventually you all will quit debating about the 2 battery issue.

I thought I read somewhere that the time it takes to completely recharge a battery is being greatly reduced on newer devices. So you will be able to charge with a mobile charger ot wall charger much easier. Eventually you all will quit debating about the 2 battery issue.
It will always be an issue until you can charge to 100% in the time it takes to swap out batteries.

Even then there will still be a need so you can easily replace a battery that isn't holding it's charge as long anymore.

I'm pretty pissed off that it looks like Verizon is going to be a week behind on the Note 4 release

I got my 15 day iPhone return policy extended to 30 based on the 10/17 release date. I do not like the iPhone and could not wait til exchange it for an Android and I'm a previous Note user.

Of course, now, with no explanation to it's customers, Verizon appears to officially set 10/23 as the Note 4 release date. A week behind all of it's competitors, and outside of my 30 day return policy for the iPhone. OF COURSE

I'm also a new customer who just switched from AT&T and while Verizon may have better widespread coverage, it's not yet up to par with what ATT was doing. I lose calls inside of buildings like you wouldn't believe. From convenience stores to supermarkets - never happened with ATT. Really regretting switching both phones and companies at this point.

I'm pretty pissed off that it looks like Verizon is going to be a week behind on the Note 4 release

I got my 15 day iPhone return policy extended to 30 based on the 10/17 release date. I do not like the iPhone and could not wait til exchange it for an Android and I'm a previous Note user.

Of course, now, with no explanation to it's customers, Verizon appears to officially set 10/23 as the Note 4 release date. A week behind all of it's competitors, and outside of my 30 day return policy for the iPhone. OF COURSE

I'm also a new customer who just switched from AT&T and while Verizon may have better widespread coverage, it's not yet up to par with what ATT was doing. I lose calls inside of buildings like you wouldn't believe. From convenience stores to supermarkets - never happened with ATT. Really regretting switching both phones and companies at this point.
(HULK) nodding: "I tried to tell ya!"

On a serious note though, I'd be shocked if Verizon wouldn't work with you to get this done. It's not like they have trouble moving iPhones.

^^^

Good point Pollard - the customer service at the corporate store was extremely helpful and easy to deal with. I'd imagine they'd work with me as well.

I guess worst case, I can sell the thing at full retail and purchase the note at full retail and I'd pretty much break even. :shrug:

Just disappointing how Verizon has no straight answers for their customers on this. 10/23 is a pre-ship date, whatever that means - they still don't know for sure when it will be in stores.

I don't lose calls, but I lose data inside of buildings to a ridiculous amount. Not sure if it is my phone, the VZN network, or if I'm being throttled during high use times.

I don't lose calls, but I lose data inside of buildings to a ridiculous amount. Not sure if it is my phone, the VZN network, or if I'm being throttled during high use times.
Happens to me as well. It drops my service from LTE to 1x (whatever that means)

It's literally any time I'm inside of the building.

Purely anecdotal, but rarely happened with ATT. Almost not at all.

T-Mobile will pay your ETF if they have good coverage by you its worth switching imo.

Happens to me as well. It drops my service from LTE to 1x (whatever that means)

It's literally any time I'm inside of the building.

Its 1x EVDO. Its Verizon's slow as heck 3G.

If you lose LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile, their 3G is WAAAAYYYY faster than Verizon's or Sprint's. Its an understated advantage.

Happens to me as well. It drops my service from LTE to 1x (whatever that means)It's literally any time I'm inside of the building.

Its 1x EVDO. Its Verizon's slow as heck 3G.If you lose LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile, their 3G is WAAAAYYYY faster than Verizon's or Sprint's. Its an understated advantage.
Good to know. If I can't keep LTE in the middle of the city, then Verizon's coverage is pretty worthless. Guess it is time to switch, has been 8 years or so (since Altell).

@Hulk: Where do you find the coverage by carrier? Would like to see what is best between Sprint and ATT networks in 28202.

@Hulk: Where do you find the coverage by carrier? Would like to see what is best between Sprint and ATT networks in 28202.
A couple of different places. Rootmetrics is a good one. Opensignal is another. Ookla/speedtest are good for data speeds imo.

Nexus 9 will be up for pre-order on Oct 17

Here are the specs so far:

• 8.9" IPS display
  • 8MP rear camera/1.6MP front
  • 64-bit Tegra K1 processor at 2.3GHz
  • 16/32GB storage
  • 6700mAh battery
We also know it has dual front-facing (BoomSound) speakers, and compatibility with the turbo charger for "up to six hours of use with only 15 minutes of charge."

As for pricing, the 16GB model will be $399, while 32GB is expected at $479, with an LTE-enabled version of the 32GB model for $599. The tablet is planned for pre-order starting October 17, hitting stores on November 3rd

Users who are viewing this thread