What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (1 Viewer)

PhantomJB

Footballguy
Who's the play here? Too much noise in the other threads.

Asiata listed second on depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asiata is the early down veteran back, McKinnon is the younger and more talented third down back with upside.

I grabbed Asiata in my league, but now I'm considering dropping Crowell for McKinnon just to have both.

EDIT: I dropped Crowell for McKinnon. I'm all in on the Vikings backups.

Asiata for the immediate future, IMO, assuming AP misses time.

McKinnon still has a lot of developing to do.
If he is indicted I would bet anything, all things considered, that AP will miss significant time. Given how Roger Goddell got absolutely pummeled for his lack of compassion for DV he will go way overboard with this

McKinnon is the higher upside, more explosive player for sure. Asiate will likely get more carries at first if AP misses time. In leagues where I only had one "droppable" player I picked up McKinnon. Otherwise I added both in case AP misses time. I just think with the Ray Rice stuff that both the Vikings and NFL won't just let him off easy.

I need to see more of McKinnen, but if the rook's not ready, Asiata showed before that he's capable of being leaned on heavily. He could be a nice pickup for RB needy teams.

I need to see more of McKinnen, but if the rook's not ready, Asiata showed before that he's capable of being leaned on heavily. He could be a nice pickup for RB needy teams.
Yeah, after more pondering Asiata is the play. In his first ever fill in game he touched the ball 33 times, MIN clearly trusts him. McKinnon is the long-term stash to see how this plays out. Both are worth rostering.

Yeah, after more pondering Asiata is the play. In his first ever fill in game he touched the ball 33 times, MIN clearly trusts him. McKinnon is the long-term stash to see how this plays out. Both are worth rostering.
Thoughts on Asiata's receiving skills?

I think both will get a chance. McKinnon needs some polishing obviously. I had one roster spot and took McKinnon just based on upside and long term chance to win the job... This of course all depends on what happens with AP.

Thoughts on Asiata's receiving skills?
NFL overview during combine..

Asiata is a potential backup running back who could provide some value in short yardage and goal line situations with his thick build and good power. However, he lacks the top-end speed, elusiveness, vision, and pass-catching ability to be considered a future three-down starter. Is a good inside runner and can get low and drive the pile but does not show patience or great instincts. Can gain yardage after contact and break some tackles but isn't going to rip off long runs or hit the seam for six. Protects the pass but isn't a productive receiver. Asiata's could hear his name called in the seventh round.
The thing is, he had 3 receptions in his first start. If he's the superior pass blocker than he may even monopolize 3rd down work in which case a handful of receptions could be expected once again.

McKinnon is a huge question mark but his ceiling is essentially infinite.

I'll stick with Asiata being a good stopgap this week if AP doesn't go and McKinnon being a high upside stash if AP misses significant time. Again, both are likely worth rostering.

McKinnon has the skillset, but it looks like Asiata will get the chance if Peterson misses time. In dyno I'm all over McKinnon.

This would also be a good match-up vs. NE this week. Moreno exploited their interior last week. From Evan Silva's MU article..

From a real-life football standpoint, there wasn't a more disappointing run defense than New England's in Week 1.Knowshon Moreno and Lamar Miller hollowed out the Patriots for 193 yards and a score on 35 carries (5.51 YPC) despite the healthy returns of NT Vince Wilfork and ILB Jerod Mayo. Mayo, in fact, earned the single-lowest run defense grade of all NFL inside linebackers in Week 1, according to Pro Football Focus. After a relatively slow opener (21-75-0), Adrian Peterson is set for a blowup game.

Asiata is the early down veteran back, McKinnon is the younger and more talented third down back with upside.

I grabbed Asiata in my league, but now I'm considering dropping Crowell for McKinnon just to have both.

EDIT: I dropped Crowell for McKinnon. I'm all in on the Vikings backups.
I would hold onto Crowell, he could be a weapon this year.

Why are they both rostered in my leagues?? Damn....

I could add one (probably Asiata) in one league, but there you can only carry 4 RBs and I'm not dropping Ellington, Doug Martin, Stacy or West.

Hmmm... maybe West, since he'll probably share with Crowell and Tate should be back in 1 - 3 weeks.

Am I dropping West?

Adrian Peterson is possibly facing some kind of discipline and possibly suspension for child abuse especially coming off a week with wall to wall RayRice news. My feel is the NFL will want to get ahead of this as oppose to being completely reactionary and Goodell may want to send the world a message that he is taking domestic abuse seriously

Question is who is the play if ADP is out. There are two backs behind him

-Matt Asiata who is a bit of a journeyman but did have a nice game last year. He had the majority of backup carries last week and might fill in capably. By Thursday the game plan is set and I'm sure they are planning a big run game. It may change somewhat and they will adjust but they will not go away from their playbook. He is the play for this weekend.

- Jerick McKinnon. A rookie who sounds like he is fast, strong and tough coming out of a small college program but is probably the more talented. With that said he's raw and may not have the ability to pick up the blitz, he is the long term play.

Why am I even thinking about this: Norv Turner. He loves running the ball and has coached some of the best running backs ever. He wants to run to establish the play-action pass.

Might be nothing but I think worth a roster spot.

Sent from my iPhone

Dropped Crowell for Asiata....I'll take the gamble for a starting RB.

Nothing really to hurt if you got a spot

Yeah obviously Asiata if you are desperately thin at RB and need a plug in. McKinnon if you have a spare bench spot and are willing to be patient.

McKinnon report from Vikings site:

OVERVIEW

His brother, Lester Norwood, won four letters as a free safety at Florida. Was an all-state quarterback as an Atlanta-area prep, lettering in both football and track. As a senior, he passed for over 1,500 yards and ran for more than 1,300. As a true freshman for Georgia Southern in 2010, he played in 10 games (including one start at quarterback) and rushed 109 times for 495 yards (4.5-yard average) and three touchdowns and completed 3-of-9 pass attempts (33.3 percent) for 24 yards with zero touchdowns and one interception. Did not play in five games. In '11, he saw action in 13 games (starting six times out of the A-back position and once at tailback) and scored touchdowns running, throwing and receiving. Carried 80-537-7 (6.7), passed 3-6-37-1-0 (50.0) and caught 6-127-1 (21.2). Also had two interceptions and a 41-yard kickoff return in an FCS playoff game against Maine. Was utilized on defense in GSU's three playoff games, recording four tackles at cornerback. Did not play in one game due to an undisclosed injury. Broke out in '12, starting 14 games -- two at tailback, one at A-back, one at B-back and the final 10 at quarterback. Amassed 269-1,817-20 (6.8) on the ground, 20-49-597-7-3 (40.8) through the air and 1-15-0 receiving. Rushed for 316 yards against Central Arkansas, the second-highest single-game total in school history (Adrian Peterson, 333 in 1999). Appeared in 10 games (nine starts) in '13, recording 161-1,050-12 (6.5) rushing, 8-17-171-4-1 (47.1) passing, 3-23-0 (7.7) receiving and 3-33-0 (11.0) returning kickoffs. Started five games at quarterback, two at the A-back position and two at the B-back spot. In GSU's first-ever victory over a BCS school, he ran for 9-125-1 against Florida. Missed a late-season game with an ankle injury. Concluded his college career with 3,899 rushing yards, the third-highest total in school annals.

tempmckinnon-gallery-1-an050914--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 55 Photos
Photos: Georgia Southern RB Jerick McKinnon
STRENGTHS

Very good athlete. Outstanding weight-room strength -- bench-presses twice his weight and squats three times his weight. Tough runner -- slams hard inside and usually falls forward. Good versatility. Superb worker. Efficient cut blocker. Led all backs at the combine with 32 bench-press reps. Has a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump.

WEAKNESSES

On the short side. Runs a bit upright and hesitant. Average burst to the perimeter. Not a creative, make-you-miss runner. Very limited career receiving production (10 career catches). Not stout in pass protection.

BOTTOM LINE

Adjusted from a triple-option quarterbacking role as a junior to a tailback role as a senior and possesses the athletic ability to warrant a chance as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Could even be tried as a return man and cornerback, where he began his college career. Would benefit from focusing on one position and will require some time to develop. Displays some similarities to Chicago Bears 1999 fifth-round pick Jerry Azumah.

I could add one (probably Asiata) in one league, but there you can only carry 4 RBs and I'm not dropping Ellington, Doug Martin, Stacy or West.

Hmmm... maybe West, since he'll probably share with Crowell and Tate should be back in 1 - 3 weeks.

Am I dropping West?
I'd just sit tight in your position.

Am I dropping West?
Wrong forum

I think at this point the pick is Asiata. That's because there's no guarantee how much time Peterson will miss - while not impossible I'd be surprised if its more than 8 games (if any). Because this is not as egregious as Rice, I don't think the suspension will be long enough for McKinnon to win the starting job from Asiata. Obviously in dynasty leagues the play is a little different.

edit: I should be clear I don't think he'll be suspended 8 games, just that that would likely approach the max (unless of course there's more to the story than at present)

what are the thoughts on the passing game, more passing now? do we bump the WRs, TEs and QB a bit more?

Am I dropping West?
Wrong forum
That's just your opinion, based on medical facts

I love McKinnon's long-term prospects (a lot) but isn't he extremely raw even for a rookie RBs? Asiata by all accounts is the superior pass protector and the obvious GL back. He may also be the ultimate plodder but unless they sign a FA Asiata is the pick. He should see the lion's share of carries moving forward.

I can't imagine a scenario where Peterson misses time and the carries aren't split pretty evenly to start. I think over time McKinnon's talent wins out.

I can't imagine a scenario where Peterson misses time and the carries aren't split pretty evenly to start. I think over time McKinnon's talent wins out.
Money where mouth is--I picked up McKinnon in every redraft. Already owned him in my dynasty.

Have Asiata but have to determine at what point to drop Peterson. Sinse he was indicted, that would mean a minimum 48 hours in jail right now (guessing), and that takes you up to gametime Sunday. Best bet is Peterson won't this week.

Keep hearing about how great McKinnon looked in preseason, but his stats don't stand out at all. What gives?

I think you are too down on Asiata. If(!) Peterson misses time Asiata should be the guy handling most of the carries. I'd say a 70:30 split ignoring Patterson. McKinnon needs more time and I agree with you, that his talent should win him the gig in the long run.

He was an option QB in college, the transition to RB isn't guaranteed no matter how much of a freak athlete he is. How adept can he be at pass protection at this point? Asatia and McKinnon are essentially the inverse of one another, which makes this situation so interesting. Still, I'm going with the dude with legitimate experience here, especially in the short term. No way the split evenly from the start.

I think at this point the pick is Asiata. That's because there's no guarantee how much time Peterson will miss - while not impossible I'd be surprised if its more than 8 games (if any). Because this is not as egregious as Rice, I don't think the suspension will be long enough for McKinnon to win the starting job from Asiata. Obviously in dynasty leagues the play is a little different.

edit: I should be clear I don't think he'll be suspended 8 games, just that that would likely approach the max (unless of course there's more to the story than at present)
If it turns out he was actually beating his kid with a stick and causing cuts/bruises I really fail to see how you can claim this isn't as egregious as what Rice did. How is child abuse somehow a lesser evil than spousal abuse?

I think, given the current landscape in the NFL, it is entirely possible Peterson is suspended indefinitely. In fact, it might be the best PR move the NFL has.

Patterson is the most electrical player on that team. If I were Turner, I would give him the rock 20 times. Asiata had a good game vs Philly last year fantasy wise, but his ypc were bad. I think he is the one to have this week.

Patterson is the most electrical player on that team. If I were Turner, I would give him the rock 20 times. Asiata had a good game vs Philly last year fantasy wise, but his ypc were bad. I think he is the one to have this week.
What size batteries?

Asiata is the answer imo.

If it turns out he was actually beating his kid with a stick and causing cuts/bruises I really fail to see how you can claim this isn't as egregious as what Rice did. How is child abuse somehow a lesser evil than spousal abuse?

I think, given the current landscape in the NFL, it is entirely possible Peterson is suspended indefinitely. In fact, it might be the best PR move the NFL has.
Well first of all because I have no problem with corporal punishment. There's a difference between something taken too far, and something that shouldn't happen at all. Peterson hit his kid with a switch excessively, for sure! Ray Rice never should have hit his wife. That's why it's different to me.

McKinnon report from Vikings site:

OVERVIEW

His brother, Lester Norwood, won four letters as a free safety at Florida. Was an all-state quarterback as an Atlanta-area prep, lettering in both football and track. As a senior, he passed for over 1,500 yards and ran for more than 1,300. As a true freshman for Georgia Southern in 2010, he played in 10 games (including one start at quarterback) and rushed 109 times for 495 yards (4.5-yard average) and three touchdowns and completed 3-of-9 pass attempts (33.3 percent) for 24 yards with zero touchdowns and one interception. Did not play in five games. In '11, he saw action in 13 games (starting six times out of the A-back position and once at tailback) and scored touchdowns running, throwing and receiving. Carried 80-537-7 (6.7), passed 3-6-37-1-0 (50.0) and caught 6-127-1 (21.2). Also had two interceptions and a 41-yard kickoff return in an FCS playoff game against Maine. Was utilized on defense in GSU's three playoff games, recording four tackles at cornerback. Did not play in one game due to an undisclosed injury. Broke out in '12, starting 14 games -- two at tailback, one at A-back, one at B-back and the final 10 at quarterback. Amassed 269-1,817-20 (6.8) on the ground, 20-49-597-7-3 (40.8) through the air and 1-15-0 receiving. Rushed for 316 yards against Central Arkansas, the second-highest single-game total in school history (Adrian Peterson, 333 in 1999). Appeared in 10 games (nine starts) in '13, recording 161-1,050-12 (6.5) rushing, 8-17-171-4-1 (47.1) passing, 3-23-0 (7.7) receiving and 3-33-0 (11.0) returning kickoffs. Started five games at quarterback, two at the A-back position and two at the B-back spot. In GSU's first-ever victory over a BCS school, he ran for 9-125-1 against Florida. Missed a late-season game with an ankle injury. Concluded his college career with 3,899 rushing yards, the third-highest total in school annals.

tempmckinnon-gallery-1-an050914--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 55 Photos
Photos: Georgia Southern RB Jerick McKinnon
STRENGTHS

Very good athlete. Outstanding weight-room strength -- bench-presses twice his weight and squats three times his weight. Tough runner -- slams hard inside and usually falls forward. Good versatility. Superb worker. Efficient cut blocker. Led all backs at the combine with 32 bench-press reps. Has a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump.

WEAKNESSES

On the short side. Runs a bit upright and hesitant. Average burst to the perimeter. Not a creative, make-you-miss runner. Very limited career receiving production (10 career catches). Not stout in pass protection.

BOTTOM LINE

Adjusted from a triple-option quarterbacking role as a junior to a tailback role as a senior and possesses the athletic ability to warrant a chance as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Could even be tried as a return man and cornerback, where he began his college career. Would benefit from focusing on one position and will require some time to develop. Displays some similarities to Chicago Bears 1999 fifth-round pick Jerry Azumah.
That is why most rookies don't see significant playing time and why McKinnon won't either, especially early in the year. McKinnon is the fun pick but that's under the assumption that AP will be out for the entire year and you actually think you're going to hang onto McKinnon for numerous weeks of doing nothing.

I'm no expert, but Asiata seems like the no-brainer replacement to me. I'd expect a reduced running game, so bump Patterson and the rest of the WR/TEs a bit. My reasoning for leaning Asiata is his games last season: 3 TDs in one and almost 10 YPC in the other makes me very happy. You stick with the known quantity as much as possible, especially when he already knows the offense and has NFL experience. McKinnon will get some snaps to be sure, but not in passing situations, and not on the goal line. I want a player who scores. Asiata seems set to get farm more points than McKinnon..

How high of a drafted player are you dropping for one of these guys? Pierre thomas? Andre Williams?

Users who are viewing this thread