What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

the nfl and football in general was better when it wasn't a 24/7 s (1 Viewer)

Buffaloes

Footballguy
soap opera

I remember when the lead up to the weekend's games were about the weekend's games.

it's like a less entertaining WCW/WWF storyline Monday through Saturday now

:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only so, but to be competitive, it is nearly required to be on watch to make immediate moves as news happens. I can agree that there was a certain charm to the Sunday marathon with a single MNF game.

Not claiming Thursday night games have been quality. However, I sure do get exited every Thursday at work about Thursday night football! It kind of represents the beginning of the weekend which is glorious during football season.

I agree. This also applies to politics, news, home improvement, etc., etc...

Making TV execs have to fill 24/7 programming time on air for the sole purpose of selling more commercial time has not been a step forward for our society, in my opinion.

I also do not like the Thursday night games. I miss when it was Sunday, and Monday night.

For the record I just turned 44, so I've been starting to build up my 'get off my lawn' rants. I figure its about time.

What I'd like to know is: who, within the NFL brass, thought that guys like myself, with FT jobs, a wife and kids, would actually be able to pull off watching football 3-4 days a week?

fwiw, I wasn't just talking about Thursday night games. it's the whole soap opera. it's following Brett Favra for entire summers while he's milking cows and nursing chickens in MS. it's following Timmy Tebow nonstop while he's throwing ground balls to his TE/3B during OTAs. it's the media covering Johnny Foosball's every step including his bathroom trips. it's the nonstop loops of guys hitting women and following the arrests. it's espn. it's the nonstop coverage of all the off field crap instead of talking breaking down Sunday's, Thursday's, or Monday's game.

Very good thread idea. The internet though IMO started the 24/7 coverage or set it in motion. Then eventually a 24 hour all NFL station. Then add in Twitter and other social media and their thirst for everything.

I just want to give a huge ..!.. YOU to TMZ or TMZSports...let me just make this clear for myself and the growing number in my party...we don't want you, need you nor welcome you into the sports media arena. They are on a mission to dig up as much dirt and eveything they can under the sun to tear down the curtain on our sports heros and also the entire form of entertainment. These slug journalists have no respect for the shield or what it means over there. They delight in making us dislike the sport we love.

Just something to keep in mind when you hear who the source is.

You've got to wonder how much FF is playing a role in it all. Its popularity has skyrocketed over the last decade with millions if not billions of dollars worth of business built around it. Now all of the sudden anything that can effect someone's playing time becomes news-worthy and relevant because there's a HUGE FF audience there to gobble it up. Modern forms of media/communications, from videos taken via cell phones to Twitter comments, are feeding the frenzy. They've made the world a much smaller, much less personal place where even the most insignificant "news" can spread worldwide instantly.

I think what makes it even worse is that all of this is occurring in a landscape where people have thin skin, are easily offended and have become either sue-happy or sue-paranoid. It's sad that we now live in a world where a dumb comment made in front of someone's cell phone can put a multi-million dollar contract in jeopardy only a few hours later.

You've got to wonder how much FF is playing a role in it all. Its popularity has skyrocketed over the last decade with millions if not billions of dollars worth of business built around it. Now all of the sudden anything that can effect someone's playing time becomes news-worthy and relevant because there's a HUGE FF audience there to gobble it up. Modern forms of media/communications, from videos taken via cell phones to Twitter comments, are feeding the frenzy. They've made the world a much smaller, much less personal place where even the most insignificant "news" can spread worldwide instantly.

I think what makes it even worse is that all of this is occurring in a landscape where people have thin skin, are easily offended and have become either sue-happy or sue-paranoid. It's sad that we now live in a world where a dumb comment made in front of someone's cell phone can put a multi-million dollar contract in jeopardy only a few hours later.
Minor quibble: It's not less personal, it's less private, often voluntarily so. I think modern forms of media communications and media have become much more personal, from the personal and human interest element of network and then cable news to forms of social media that aren't anonymous.

Users who are viewing this thread