Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

When do we go in and wipe out ISIS?

ISIS is horrible, but it seems the part people really don't like and most respond to are the facts that it's being put in our faces.

Edited by Ilov80s

ISIS is horrible, but it seems the part people really don't like and most respond to are the facts that it's being put in our faces.

Exactly. It's taunting.

Still waiting to see what "earth shaking" Jordan is going to do.

Basically this is the Middle Eastern version of the Khmer Rouge.

I was thinking this earlier, I agree.

However IIRC Veitnam eventually went in and took those muthuhs out...

That's the point. It's a problem that is so severe in its local sphere that we don't really need to fix it for them. The region will do it themselves.

Here, they've massively pissed off and embarrassed Jordan. Maybe that's the vehicle for IS's downfall.

I watched the video, wish I didn't... Almost puts tears in your eyes. Nobody deserves to die like that, nobody except these ISIS animals.

And that, my friend, is what you call war. Both sides view the other as evil incarnate, and celebrate the death of one of their opponents as being just.

I honestly don't think IS views this as being "just". Their view of things is to project their power/control. They just couch it in religious terms.

I think it's a major part of that, but the problem is that there's more to it. It's not just taunting, its the fact that the taunting is making some of the actors look weak. It's one thing to taunt the US, a global superpower who nobody mistakes as being militarily weak, but a country like Jordan can't afford to look that way in its own backyard.

Oh, sorry, I'll check the microwave to see if the military response is ready...

I'm trying- but failing at understanding the post.

microwave, as in- quick?

I'm not asking for a quick repsonse or using "waiting" to imply that it should've happened by now. If a country in the ME says there will be an "earth-shaking" response to this- and imply that it's on top of executing their prisoners... let's just say, my interest is piquedy-booed.

I think it's a major part of that, but the problem is that there's more to it. It's not just taunting, its the fact that the taunting is making some of the actors look weak. It's one thing to taunt the US, a global superpower who nobody mistakes as being militarily weak, but a country like Jordan can't afford to look that way in its own backyard.

I agree with what you say, but one worry I have is that a lot of Jordanians blame the West for bringing them into this fight. I'm not saying they are right by any means, but that is their perception.

No reason for ISIS to kill that pilot. They showed they we're negotiating in bad faith, and they just drew Jordanian Intel into this in a more direct role. Jordanian intelligence is no ####### joke.

They have no end game, this is all short-term destruction and barbarianism. Even Al-Qaeda has more defined goals.

Please explain. :popcorn:

I heard an ISIS expert give an interview on the radio and he spoke about the 6 F words that ISIS releases these videos for:

Fear

Faith

Fighting

Funding

Foot soldiers

Followers

I'm trying- but failing at understanding the post.

microwave, as in- quick?

I'm not asking for a quick repsonse or using "waiting" to imply that it should've happened by now. If a country in the ME says there will be an "earth-shaking" response to this- and imply that it's on top of executing their prisoners... let's just say, my interest is piquedy-booed.

:shrug: It's been about 24 hours since the pilot got fried, guy.

Edited by T Bell

ah, right- "still".

your response makes total sense.

I wrote still, because I checked in yesterday wondering about what the response would be... so still waiting.

eta: should've been "still wondering"

Edited by El Floppo

from the WSJ... interesting to get some perspective on reactions within the region.

BEIRUT—Outrage spread across the Arab world after the release of a video by Islamic State said to show the burning to death of a captive Jordanian pilot, raising alarm in the region over the militant group’s brutal tactics and startling Arab governments involved in the military campaign against it.

The 22-minute video begins with footage of Jordanian involvement in a U.S.-led military coalition against Islamic State. It then shows what appears to be First Lt. Muath al-Kasasbeh describing Jordan’s military operations before he is burned alive inside a cage.

Jordan’s government has confirmed the death of the air force pilot, who was captured in December by Islamic State militants after his plane crashed on a mission over Syria, but didn’t say whether the video was authentic.

Newspapers in the region also reflected the horror on Wednesday. Pan Arab daily Al Hayat lead with a single-word headline on its front page to describe the killing: Barbarity. Asharq al-Awsat, another pan Arab newspaper, described a state of “global shock” after the video was released Tuesday.

“People are shocked and terrified at the horrific murder of the pilot,” a former Jordanian official said. “A real crime,” said Fajr, a resident of the Syrian city of Raqqa, the de facto capital of the cross-border territory in Syria and Iraq that the Sunni extremists control.

Jordan, a pro-Western Arab monarchy, is a key ally in the U.S.-led campaign against the extremist group, and the pilot’s fate has caused internal debate there over the costs of getting involved militarily against an extremist group that—despite its brutality—has attracted into its ranks young, disenfranchised Jordanians and other Sunni youth across the region.

Many people across the Middle East have condemned Islamic State’s beheading of foreign hostages—most recently two Japanese men—but some analysts are now questioning whether the images purporting to show the death of Mr. Kasasbeh—a Muslim Arab—will serve to undermine the support that such high-profile killings are designed to generate, even from its base of fanatic jihadist supporters.

Within the Muslim scholars’ community, a debate was spurred on whether the method of killing—burning—was allowed in Islam. Egypt’s Al Azhar mosque, the seat of Sunni Islamic learning and thought, in a statement called it a violation of Islam’s prohibition on mutilating bodies, even in times of war.

“We are against the Western coalition and we oppose their agenda, but there is no such religious decree that allows the burning of prisoners in Islam,” said Hussam Salameh, a spokesman for the Islamist Syrian rebel group Ahrar al Sham. The group opposes Islamic State and al Qaeda but is also extreme in its own views.

Yet others said the opposite: the greater the shock factor of Islamic State’s actions, the wider the appeal to the group’s supporters. In jihadist commentary online, the killing was widely praised as a just action against an Arab state that had allied with the Western enemy.

Hasan Abu Haniyeh, a Jordanian expert on Islamic extremists, called this kind of debate “very dangerous thinking” that appeared to brush aside the ferocious act of killing for nuanced arguments over what kind of killing is or isn’t sanctioned by Islam.

Don't watch the video its brutal. Jordan said they would execute all Isis prisoners if their pilot was killed. Let's see if that happens.

It wasn't that brutal. I can't imagine what he want through, but it didn't look like he suffered that long, though a bullet through the brain would have been better for him.

Don't watch the video its brutal. Jordan said they would execute all Isis prisoners if their pilot was killed. Let's see if that happens.

It wasn't that brutal. I can't imagine what he want through, but it didn't look like he suffered that long, though a bullet through the brain would have been better for him.

:wtf:

I heard an ISIS expert give an interview on the radio and he spoke about the 6 F words that ISIS releases these videos for:

Fear

Faith

Fighting

Funding

Foot soldiers

Followers

F this...

Thanks Posty (actually is Posty)!

I guess suffering for 20-25 seconds to die would be brutal, and it would seem a lot longer to him, but I guess I am just desensitized from this unnecessary and barbaric murders.

I'm not going to watch that video but my guess is being burned alive is one of the most excruciating ways to die.

dude.

Members of the House Armed Services Committee met with Jordan's King Abdullah Tuesday not long after news broke that ISIS had burned to death a Jordanian pilot captured in the fight against the terrorist group. In a private session with lawmakers, the king showed an extraordinary measure of anger -- anger which he expressed by citing American movie icon Clint Eastwood.

"He said there is going to be retribution like ISIS hasn't seen," said Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., a Marine Corps veteran of two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, who was in the meeting with the king. "He mentioned 'Unforgiven' and he mentioned Clint Eastwood, and he actually quoted a part of the movie."

"He's angry," Hunter said of King Abdullah. "They're starting more sorties tomorrow than they've ever had. They're starting tomorrow. And he said, 'The only problem we're going to have is running out of fuel and bullets.'"

imagine a US president saying that.

Obviously what I said was is being taken the wrong way. I apologize.

Yes being burned alive is a bad way to go, but there are many more ways that would have made his death much much slower and put him through more agony.

Once again, apologies.

Either way, ISIS needs to be wiped from this planet as quick as possible.

Edited by larch
  • Like 1

Members of the House Armed Services Committee met with Jordan's King Abdullah Tuesday not long after news broke that ISIS had burned to death a Jordanian pilot captured in the fight against the terrorist group. In a private session with lawmakers, the king showed an extraordinary measure of anger -- anger which he expressed by citing American movie icon Clint Eastwood.

"He said there is going to be retribution like ISIS hasn't seen," said Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., a Marine Corps veteran of two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, who was in the meeting with the king. "He mentioned 'Unforgiven' and he mentioned Clint Eastwood, and he actually quoted a part of the movie."

"He's angry," Hunter said of King Abdullah. "They're starting more sorties tomorrow than they've ever had. They're starting tomorrow. And he said, 'The only problem we're going to have is running out of fuel and bullets.'"

imagine a US president saying that.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in that room with the king. :lmao:

Obviously what I said was is being taken the wrong way. I apologize.

Yes being burned alive is a bad way to go, but there are many more ways that would have made his death much much slower and put him through more agony.

Once again, apologies.

Either way, ISIS needs to be wiped from this planet as quick as possible.

Still idiotic.

are there bigger #### talkers than Arab leaders? Russians are at least close, but they back up their threats

johnjohn back?

Just watched it. Wish I hadn't. Most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

Going to stop this post before I say what I really think and probably offend some.

Going to stop this post before I say what I really think and probably offend some.

look at this guy becoming all PC.

I watched it. Looks like they have a film producer editing these videos. The tense music, loud heart beating sounds to increase peoples fears..

Edited by Da Guru

I've seen a lot and that thing was easily the worst thing I have ever seen. I believe that was their goal. They are closing in on desperation times as they continue to take defeats across the region. I can see them trying to come up with something even more disturbing before we make them extinct.

if Jordan does take it to them, this will be the act that finally did them in and rightfully so. They aren't even humans.

Edited by lod01

I watched it. Looks like they have a film producer editing these videos. The tense music, loud heart beating sounds to increase peoples fears..

Agreed. I thought I was watching something from a movie preview.

Yeah seriously. They've come a long way since those dingy beheading videos.

I don't understand how this helps them.

After watching this, who wants to side with and identify with these monsters?

Probably a good idea given some of your earlier comments :thumbup:

It doesn't. It's a desperation move by a group that knows it's going to die soon. I also think they didn't realize that it would cause the uproar it has.

Disaffected youth who hate the West. Brutality, or at least the willingness to resort to this kind of brutality, demonstrates faith and commitment in the war against the infidels. Hopefully, there aren't enough of those guys to take widespread power in the region. Hopefully, there aren't enough of them that western military action is required.

I remember when the first video of a beheading was on the internet. Somehow, it was put on a post in the FFA and it stayed there for a while. I debated watching it, but decided against it. Someone then replied with almost the same thing you just said. That they wished they hadn't watched it and they would never be able to unsee it. I was very glad I chose not to watch it.

I'll say this about the pilot, he had some serious courage in the video. He knew his fate and didn't cower.

Maybe he was sedated, but I'd imagine I would have been trying to climb the cage and crying like a baby when the fire was coming.

He stayed alive much longer than I expected. His movements slowly decreased, but he continued to move for far too long while in pain. ####

• Like 1

The same mentality who wants to join a gang - its about power and belonging.

People who've had innocent family and friends killed by drones?

How does a Jordanian pilot or a Japanese reporter figure into that? How does a Yazidi Christian perched on the last rock on a mountain top figure into it for that matter?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

How does a Jordanian pilot or a Japanese reporter figure into that?

You think the Jordanian pilot wasn't on the side of the people with the drones?

How does a Jordanian pilot or a Japanese reporter figure into that?

You think the Jordanian pilot wasn't on the side of the people with the drones?

Why, do you? He's on the side of Jordan.

What they are fighting for is extremely important, they want to reshape the world, no rights, none, this is pure ideology.

This post seems to hint at sympathizing with ISIS
  • Like 1