Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

Official AJ Green

2 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Its not?  Their QB is 42 years old.  You think he will play forever?  Or he is easily replaced?  I am not sure if I am being trolled or if you really think that they will be super bowl contenders forever.  Jarrett Stintham is going to replace him and win super bowls?

Bill is 13-6 without Brady

Just sayin

1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

Bill is 13-6 without Brady

Just sayin

OK, well there is no way we can prove eachother right or wrong in trying to predict the future, but I have to cling to the hope that when Brady is done, there will be a chance for everyone else in the AFC East to compete once again.  If not, I have no reason to continue to be a fan of real football.  So please, please please just give me this.

1 minute ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Its not?  Their QB is 42 years old.  You think he will play forever?  Or he is easily replaced?  I am not sure if I am being trolled or if you really think that they will be super bowl contenders forever.  Jarrett Stintham is going to replace him and win super bowls?

Agree with this. He's old and and can void his contract after the season. Add to the fact he's said he doesn't know what the future holds for him and is selling his home. It's not a long shot to say he may be done in NE after this season.

16 minutes ago, Tool said:

Their window is closing? Really?

I think he means their 2021 window. 2019 is locked up, done deal. 2020 looks solid. Only 2021+ are a question mark.

2 minutes ago, geneyus said:

Agree with this. He's old and and can void his contract after the season. Add to the fact he's said he doesn't know what the future holds for him and is selling his home. It's not a long shot to say he may be done in NE after this season.

A voice of reason.  He also has absolutely nothing left to prove, is inarguably the greatest and most decorated QB ever to play the game, if not the greatest player overall, if not the greatest athlete in any sport (and I am a Dolphins fan and despise him and his deflated balls with all of my heart and hate even having to read what I just wrote).  If he can win one more and ride off into retirement with his 7 (?) rings, scorching hot wife, gazillions of dollars, and a sweet booth job, and most importantly, his health - why would he not?  It is not out of the question thatthey go all in for one more, and throw away the future in order to do it.  They sold their souls to the devil with AB so its not like we dont have evidence in place to look at and see their mindset.

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

??????????????

The previous quote was asking if Houston had anything left to trade for Robby Anderson or for AJG for that matter. They do, but not much.

3 minutes ago, Buckna said:

The previous quote was asking if Houston had anything left to trade for Robby Anderson or for AJG for that matter. They do, but not much.

Bill O'Brien did not trade anything. He isn't/wasn't the GM

Edited by The Man With No Name

15 hours ago, Caesar said:

There's only one game left in October.  Doesn't seem like much of a report.  It also fits into the timeline of the Bengals waiting until after their Bye to bring him back on the field.  Its not exactly crack reporting there.

I think it's hard to trade him when he's injured until after the trade deadline. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

I think it's hard to trade him when he's injured until after the trade deadline. 

Make it conditional

2nd rounder if he is healthy enough to play 5 games else a 5th

5 minutes ago, Rove! said:

Make it conditional

2nd rounder if he is healthy enough to play 5 games else a 5th

Based on the market it would probably have to be at least a first though.  I guess you could still make it conditional, but not sure the Bengals are going to go for that. 

They could franchise tag him so they aren't completely out of leverage. 

Maybe interested teams want him to show he can practice to prove health.  Especially if the Bengals are saying he's healthy, but won't risk injury without contract or something. 

Obviously anyone trading for him would get to do a medical exam as a contingency, but if they are paying a first for a rental they probably want as much proof as possible.  Teams also might be using the injury as a lowball justification. 

On 10/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, The Man With No Name said:

Bill O'Brien did not trade anything. He isn't/wasn't the GM

Ummm, they fired their GM in June and never replaced him. None of those trades were made until August (Duke, Clowney, Stills/Tunesil, Conley) they very much were  all Bill O’Brien as he has 100% control right now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Ummm, they fired their GM in June and never replaced him. None of those trades were made until August (Duke, Clowney, Stills/Tunesil, Conley) they very much were  all Bill O’Brien as he has 100% control right now.

https://nfltraderumors.co/texans-will-not-hire-gm-for-2019/

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/07/chris-olsen-perfect-texans-interim-gm-deal-jadeveon-clowney/

Edited by The Man With No Name

12 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

How about something a little more recent, using your own source?

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/23/texans-trade-raiders-gareon-conley-wasnt-rash-decision/

Here’s John McClain, the #1 source for Texans news for years:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/amp/McClain-Sizing-up-Texans-latest-trade-14551294.php

Among myriad other links, BOB is the de facto GM and holds all the power, they never named anyone external or internal to replace Gaines after BOB forced him out, every decision made since early June has been his.

• Thanks 1

If Cincy is going to trade him, maybe they are holding him out for that reason. Why risk him getting hurt again and losing trade value?

I know it's Coachspeak but I'm here in the UK and in the Sky Sports pregame they were talking to the HC and he said AJ is part of the Bengals future, not going anywhere and he is excited to coach him. He seems pretty adamant that AJ is with them at least this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On NFL Network a few minutes ago they were just saying that AJ Green is 'very confident' he will return after the bye.  I can't remember who said it, I was listening not so much watching.

• Thanks 1

Was looking ahead for playoff schedules, and if Green does stay with the Bengals, he's got a pretty great run of games weeks 13, 14, and 16 for a team almost always throwing 40+ times. Even the Patriots in week 15, could have some(like an entire half of) nice garbage time.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:59 AM, Rhythmdoctor said:

On NFL Network a few minutes ago they were just saying that AJ Green is 'very confident' he will return after the bye.  I can't remember who said it, I was listening not so much watching.

Ruiz is with NFL:

Omar Ruiz‏Verified account @OmarDRuiz

AJ Green says he’s hopeful he’ll make his return after the bye, & sounded confident he’ll be able to do so. Said he just has to make sure his ankle can do everything he wants & make sure the injury won’t linger.

7:37 AM - 27 Oct 2019

Trade deadline is today - doesn't look like AJG is going anywhere.  CIN plays at home vs BAL in 12 days.  Have held onto him all year long in a redraft.  You know what I am gonna do if he doesn't suit up week 10?  Bend over, take it up the tailpipe, and continue holding.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think Green could have a huge end of season run.  He is on a team that will always be trailing and he will be playing teams who aren't good against the pass.  While none of the teams he is facing are top 5 worst in points given up to opposing receivers, 7 out of the 8 games are against teams that are in the worse half of the league for points given up to opposing receivers.  Green is going to giving it his all since he will be playing for a new contract.  And he is a wide receiver who can be targeted even when he is double covered.  Just loft the ball up and let him do his magic.  He could easily have some 30+ point fantasy games.

I've made countless offers to the Green owners in my leagues to no avail.  A lot of the Green owners in my leagues are 1-7 or 2-6 but have refused to trade him.  I've never understood fantasy owners with losing records not trading their injured stars.  Week after week I've offered Chark, McLaurin, or Curtis Samuel and I haven't even received a counter offer from any Green owner.  Stubbornness isn't a good trait to have as a fantasy owner.

Edited by Don Hutson

2 hours ago, TheWinz said:

Trade deadline is today - doesn't look like AJG is going anywhere.  CIN plays at home vs BAL in 12 days.  Have held onto him all year long in a redraft.  You know what I am gonna do if he doesn't suit up week 10?  Bend over, take it up the tailpipe, and continue holding.  

Same here 

2 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I think Green could have a huge end of season run.  He is on a team that will always be trailing and he will be playing teams who aren't good against the pass.  While none of the teams he is facing are top 5 worst in points given up to opposing receivers, 7 out of the 8 games are against teams that are in the worse half of the league for points given up to opposing receivers.  Green is going to giving it his all since he will be playing for a new contract.  And he is a wide receiver who can be targeted even when he is double covered.  Just loft the ball up and let him do his magic.  He could easily have some 30+ point fantasy games.

I've made countless offers to the Green owners in my leagues to no avail.  A lot of the Green owners in my leagues are 1-7 or 2-6 but have refused to trade him.  I've never understood fantasy owners with losing records not trading their injured stars.  Week after week I've offered Chark, McLaurin, or Curtis Samuel and I haven't even received a counter offer from any Green owner.  Stubbornness isn't a good trait to have as a fantasy owner.

A crappy offer is still crappy even if you're 1-7.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

These 2 statements contradict each other.  I actually prefer cellar dwellers to refrain from being a farm team for contenders.

3 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I agree with the first paragraph, well said.   As for the second one, why would a team that is basically out of the playoffs want to help you?  What good is samuel or Mclaurin going to do for them at this point?  Plus just like everyone here, if we have held him this long not one is cutting him or moving him for trash at this point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mozzy84 said:

I agree with the first paragraph, well said.   As for the second one, why would a team that is basically out of the playoffs want to help you?  What good is samuel or Mclaurin going to do for them at this point?  Plus just like everyone here, if we have held him this long not one is cutting him or moving him for trash at this point.

Obviously they shouldn't trade Green now that he is coming back.  But as I said, I've been giving offers week after week.  So somewhere in week 4 or 5 or 6 or 7, any Green owner with 1 win should have accepted that they needed to sacrifice Green to better the odds of making the playoffs.  Chark or McLaurin were more than fair offers in weeks 4-7.  And not one Green owner made a counter offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davearm said:

A crappy offer is still crappy even if you're 1-7.

I disagree  Chark and McLaurin > AJ Green even in redraft.  You have to account for AJG missing half the damn season, and I would bet that when he comes back he doesn't produce much more than those two up and comers.

I think these owners saved Don from making a deal he would later regret.  I guess we will see what happens with AJG, but he will have to be incredible to make up for missing weeks 4 to 10 while these guys were playing.

1 minute ago, kittenmittens said:

I disagree  Chark and McLaurin > AJ Green even in redraft.  You have to account for AJG missing half the damn season, and I would bet that when he comes back he doesn't produce much more than those two up and comers.

I think these owners saved Don from making a deal he would later regret.  I guess we will see what happens with AJG, but he will have to be incredible to make up for missing weeks 4 to 10 while these guys were playing.

I diasagree on Mclaurin he has had three terrible/single digit weeks over the last month, they play buffalo this week and then have a bye. That team is really bad.   Chark you have a vaild argument.  Samuaels no way.

Anyways I think the point of the story is, I've held this long I am riding it out, I think AJ has a good playoff run in him to end the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Mike Brown owns AJ Green in a lot of your fantasy leagues 🤔

-QG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Hindsight is 20/20 on the first paragraph.  Chark and McLaurin were projected as WR3-4 types, and Green was initially expected to miss only 4 weeks.

As for the bolded, nah.  As a philosophical matter, I want the best team in weeks 14-16.  Weeks 4 to 10 matter much less.  Just need the rest of my team to be good enough to get into the playoffs.  And if it's not, then DJ Chark or Terry McLaurin weren't going to turn a non-playoff team into a league winner anyway.  Trading AJG for a Chark or McLaurin just to squeeze out a little production in the middle of the season is a losing approach (IMO).

1 minute ago, davearm said:

Hindsight is 20/20 on the first paragraph.  Chark and McLaurin were projected as WR3-4 types, and Green was initially expected to miss only 4 weeks.

As for the bolded, nah.  As a philosophical matter, I want the best team in weeks 14-16.  Weeks 4 to 10 matter much less.  Just need the rest of my team to be good enough to get into the playoffs.  And if it's not, then DJ Chark or Terry McLaurin weren't going to turn a non-playoff team into a league winner anyway.  Trading AJG for a Chark or McLaurin just to squeeze out a little production in the middle of the season is a losing approach (IMO).

After week 6, Chark and McLaurin were averaging the 5th and 6th most fantasy points for a wide receiver.  Chark is still 5th.  Either one could have given a weak team an extra win or two.

37 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

Obviously they shouldn't trade Green now that he is coming back.  But as I said, I've been giving offers week after week.  So somewhere in week 4 or 5 or 6 or 7, any Green owner with 1 win should have accepted that they needed to sacrifice Green to better the odds of making the playoffs.  Chark or McLaurin were more than fair offers in weeks 4-7.  And not one Green owner made a counter offer.

decent offers IMO.  some owners just like to stew in their crap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davearm said:

I don't think you needed hindsight to see Green would be out much longer than 4 weeks, especially when it got to be around week 3 or week 4 and he wasn't even running yet IIRC?

I agree with trying to have the best team going into the playoffs, but in this case the teams couldn't have had more than 1 win and probably needed a boost at WR immediately.  I guess its hard to say without knowing their rosters.

13 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

After week 6, Chark and McLaurin were averaging the 5th and 6th most fantasy points for a wide receiver.  Chark is still 5th.  Either one could have given a weak team an extra win or two.

Right, and virtually nobody saw that coming.  IMO you'd be chasing points with both of those guys.  Much rather have Green.  He's got many years of being a top 10 WR when healthy.

It's all context, gents. Just because the guy doesn't have Chark or McLaurin doesn't mean he didn't pick up Metcalf or other similar up and coming players along the way as substitutes for FREE off the WW. There have been a few plug n players that could get the guy through until AJG's hopeful week 4/5 return- turned- into- week 10 return. Do we really think that his whole team hinged on AJG's return? Considering all the injuries or under-performing players out there, it is likely the team was hit by 2-3 other decent losses (Luck? Brees? AB? Melvin? D Will sucking? Kerryon Johnson sucking?, THill?, etc.) top of a missing AJG and ol Chark or McLaurin wouldn't have have really made much of a difference.

I picked AJG up early on when others dropped him. I've been shuffling guys in and out and haven't needed to trade or drop AJG for another starter because the guys I have picked up have actually been putting up numbers near to or better than Chark or McLaurin (Metcalf, Hardman). Who were likely both WW pickups. Some guys just flat won't go for "sell high" young guys because they want to see them prove it. Chark and McLaurin both have unproven players tossing the rock to them, so perhaps it's a "bird in hand" issue.

Meanwhile, I cross my fingers on AJG's return....which will neither break nor make my team.

• Like 1

Cincinnati to have QB change after the break 

15 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Cincinnati to have QB change after the break 

Ugh. Looking like AJG is a total bust in redraft.