What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I'm playing him. Have a tough matchup against the offensive juggernaut of our league (it's IDP), so may as well go guns blazing. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

If Sutton can put solid points with a Rookie QB ... AJ Green just needs like 10+ targets on some short routes... he'll get his 14+ points

With Hopkins on a bye...I'm thinking about it @ Flex, as I have WR1 Lockett and WR2 Diggs starting.

But I can also start TE Henry @ Flex (Kittle TE1), so there's that. We'll see how practice goes for AJ this week.

Starting him with 100% confidence, as my only other options are Hilton and Thielen.  I am quite sure he won't score less than those guys.

Trade deadline has come and gone, and he is still a Bengal.  So, for redraft purposes, I don't care about his contract.  I only care about his health, but it's been news crickets...

30 Oct - AJG says he is aiming to return to play the Ravens in week 10, but no mention of actual health status

27 Oct - limited practice throughout the week, should be ready by week 10, but how limited was he?

24 Oct - ruled out for week 8, but was he even close to returning?

At this point, do we really have ANY idea how close to 100% he is?  For such a high profile player, it's amazing how little we know.

Trade deadline has come and gone, and he is still a Bengal.  So, for redraft purposes, I don't care about his contract.  I only care about his health, but it's been news crickets...

30 Oct - AJG says he is aiming to return to play the Ravens in week 10, but no mention of actual health status

27 Oct - limited practice throughout the week, should be ready by week 10, but how limited was he?

24 Oct - ruled out for week 8, but was he even close to returning?

At this point, do we really have ANY idea how close to 100% he is?  For such a high profile player, it's amazing how little we know.
We don’t have any definitive idea. We do know he said he wasn’t coming back until he was 100%. And that he got the boot off almost 2 months. All speculation but I think he’s been capable of playing for some time now and would take him at his word that if he’s playing he’s 100%.

Anyone brave enough to start him this week?
Tempted to but think I am starting Golden Tate instead. If Finley isn't awful, CIN has a great string of games from week 11-14. Hoping he comes out healthy and Finley is only slightly below average instead of horrible so I can roll him out against Oakland week 11.

Auden Tate has been a target monster, and has maybe half the ability Green does. Green feels like a potential top-20 WR as soon as he's active, with upside for much more if Finley is any good. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility Finley is a decent enough QB.

Coach Zac Taylor expects A.J. Green (ankle) to make his season debut Week 10 against the Ravens.

Green was practicing ahead of the Bengals' Week 8 trip to London and had the bye week to get ready for this one. We still wouldn't expect Green to be his normal every-down self at this point, and he's now saddled with rookie Ryan Finley making his NFL debut. Green should be treated as a WR4 until he has a game or two under his belt.

SOURCE: Paul Dehner on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 12:39 PM ET

Depends on practice this week...if he has a single LP then on the bench for <insert name> WR2/3. Otherwise start full confidence.

I read a blurb that said he "expects" to play, but not that he is "confirmed" to play.  Crossing my fingers though...
Sorry, HC Zac Taylor  anticipates  Green to make his season debut vs BAL 

cut me some slack, I’ve been waiting a long time 

Sorry, HC Zac Taylor  anticipates  Green to make his season debut vs BAL 

cut me some slack, I’ve been waiting a long time 
Me too.  I am gonna be in a world of pain without AJG for the next 3 weeks (Lockett, Thielen, Hilton).  I don't wanna have to hit the WW, because I have no player I want to drop.

I've been holding for awhile and have been questioning that decision more and more every week as CIN keeps a bagel in the win column....I want to believe Green is a true "professional" and will be out there going balls to the wall every snap, every route, every game....buuuuuut....with the team having nothing to play for and Green a FA at the end of the season (which for CIN it already really is)....I just have to question what his motivation/desire will be to come out and play hard.....and risk injury.....Green heading into free agency doesn't need to pad his resume.....in the long run, really only bad things can happen for him if he plays....not sure he would or even should care about any short term results....

smells like a bad hammy coming in about the second quarter....

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a report during the media window to view practice which is 30 minutes, Id wait for a Taylor’s practice summary this afternoon. 

Dude went from "will practice" to "not at practice" to "not at practice, day to day".

oh boy if that isn't the quickest, most ominous downgrade I've ever seen.

"It's a process," Green said. "I've just got to be completely healthy to where I can go out there and play at a high level. I can't risk hurting this thing again and setting myself back even further.

"So definitely, I've got to be smart. But it's a step in the right direction to where I can actually practice on Monday and did more stuff yesterday with no problem. So we'll see how that thing goes."
- NFLN

Meh, I'll keep him benched for his first game but this doesn't sound too bad to me. Being cautious when he felt the ankle swell. Rather the ankle be fine and he can play Sunday.

Jeremy Rauch@FOX19Jeremy

In case you were wondering...there is still a good bunch of vets in the locker room that aren't overjoyed about Andy being benched.

12:59 PM · Nov 6, 2019

This....there is really zero reason to come back at this point.....
I'd argue almost the opposite is true, I mean, it'd probably help his potential contract this off season, if he put some nice games on tape that weren't 1.5 years old. Especially if he has them with a rookie starter. 

I'd argue almost the opposite is true, I mean, it'd probably help his potential contract this off season, if he put some nice games on tape that weren't 1.5 years old. Especially if he has them with a rookie starter. 
fair enough....but you could argue the other way that if he goes out there not 100% healthy.....showing some age and lack of explosion....plays crappy...with or without a rookie QB it would hurt his potential contract.....it could go both ways.....and the chances might be higher that it doesn't go well....so if I were Green, I would maybe lean on my past resume and old tape....he will still get paid pretty nicely based on that.... 

I’m not sure that putting the next/last contract in the hands of a rookie QB on a terrible team is a great idea. 

I'm now leaning the other way as of today, he not playing for this trash team and wants to move on healthy next year. As a dynasty owner I am hoping he doesn't go out like Dez did.

Stinkin Ref said:
fair enough....but you could argue the other way that if he goes out there not 100% healthy.....showing some age and lack of explosion....plays crappy...with or without a rookie QB it would hurt his potential contract.....it could go both ways.....and the chances might be higher that it doesn't go well....so if I were Green, I would maybe lean on my past resume and old tape....he will still get paid pretty nicely based on that.... 
Maybe, but what is the market for 32 year old WR's who haven't played in almost 2 seasons?

Also, Green might actually want to stay in Cincinnati. He's talked on many occasions of thinking very highly of Larry Fitzgerald, and what he means to Arizona, and how he stuck with them through lean years. Maybe that is just talk, but Green has always seemed to be a Fitzgerald type. If he's healthy, he just strikes me as a guy who would rather play, than sit out.

What if Green stays in Cincinnati, and what if Finley is good? This would be a great time to establish that rapport going forward. Its no lock the Bengals draft a QB next year. What if they win a couple games down the stretch here. They play the Ravens, Raiders, Steelers, Jets, Browns, Pats, Dolphins, Browns. While they aren't going to beat the Ravens or Patriots, its entirely possible they could win 3-4 of those games.

Stinkin Ref said:
We as fans have been trying to figure out if AJG has been slow playing his recovery waiting for a contract extension.  What we are failing to factor in is that the coaching staff should know his actual status.  If he is ready to go and faking it, wouldn't CIN just franchise him?  He said he doesn't want to be franchised, but it's not his decision.  If CIN did decide to franchise him, when would they have to announce it?

Fwiw the Cincy offense has been producing some good WR numbers - 10th most FFPs as a group, 5th most targets, 8th most yards. One of the WRs has had double digit targets every week except one (week 4). The problem is a lack of TDs.

Users who are viewing this thread