Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

Official AJ Green

8 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

fair enough....but you could argue the other way that if he goes out there not 100% healthy.....showing some age and lack of explosion....plays crappy...with or without a rookie QB it would hurt his potential contract.....it could go both ways.....and the chances might be higher that it doesn't go well....so if I were Green, I would maybe lean on my past resume and old tape....he will still get paid pretty nicely based on that.... 

We as fans have been trying to figure out if AJG has been slow playing his recovery waiting for a contract extension.  What we are failing to factor in is that the coaching staff should know his actual status.  If he is ready to go and faking it, wouldn't CIN just franchise him?  He said he doesn't want to be franchised, but it's not his decision.  If CIN did decide to franchise him, when would they have to announce it?

Fwiw the Cincy offense has been producing some good WR numbers - 10th most FFPs as a group, 5th most targets, 8th most yards. One of the WRs has had double digit targets every week except one (week 4). The problem is a lack of TDs.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Fwiw the Cincy offense has been producing some good WR numbers - 10th most FFPs as a group, 5th most targets, 8th most yards. One of the WRs has had double digit targets every week except one (week 4). The problem is a lack of TDs.

The other problem is an unknown rookie QB

4 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

CIN's run game has been atrocious.  Only MIA has a lower YPC, and only ATL has run less.  They have been playing from behind all season, and their 70/30 pass/run ratio is only matched by ATL.  I doubt their run game will turn it around, and they will continue to throw from behind.  CIN's season is toast, and they are gonna let Finley throw as much as he wants.  Sure, he may completely suck, but the WR targets will continue.  And, if Finley can't handle the job, they will revert to Dalton to finish the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

CIN's run game has been atrocious.  Only MIA has a lower YPC, and only ATL has run less.  They have been playing from behind all season, and their 70/30 pass/run ratio is only matched by ATL.  I doubt their run game will turn it around, and they will continue to throw from behind.  CIN's season is toast, and they are gonna let Finley throw as much as he wants.  Sure, he may completely suck, but the WR targets will continue.  And, if Finley can't handle the job, they will revert to Dalton to finish the season.

The big uncertainty is not the amount of throws but their efficiency. Timing, placement, etc. I'd just rather be see Green catching throws from the same guy he's been with for eight years. Hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

The big uncertainty is not the amount of throws but their efficiency. Timing, placement, etc. I'd just rather be see Green catching throws from the same guy he's been with for eight years. Hope I'm wrong.

Was just saying the targets will continue, but I quite agree with you.  I don't think Dalton has necessarily been underperforming - CIN has simply decided to see what they have in Finley.  Finley better have an internal clock, as only Winston has been sacked more this year.  FWIW, I don't think we've seen the last of Dalton this year.

I’d take AJ catching passes from the love child of Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell at this point if it means he’s on the field.

Edited by Cobbler1
  • Laughing 4

12 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Was just saying the targets will continue, but I quite agree with you.  I don't think Dalton has necessarily been underperforming - CIN has simply decided to see what they have in Finley.  Finley better have an internal clock, as only Winston has been sacked more this year.  FWIW, I don't think we've seen the last of Dalton this year.

Agree. The only logic I can think of for the switch is that they drafted Finley as a better fit for Taylor's system and Dalton just wasn't getting it or didn't have the mobility. Somewhat like Allen in Denver.

As you say there is no shame going back to Dalton if things aren't working out after a few games so at least there's a floor there.

1 hour ago, PhantomJB said:

I guess the way I view this is that common wisdom is to dump Bengals and maybe that's right. Cincy RB & Wrs & TE are near dirt zip right now, right? But, if Finley has a good game they won't be. I've lost games by under 2.0 this year. Gordon, Shepard, DJax Ross and Green have sort of fuggabood my lineups. If Finley does have a good game I will have to kill x FAAB / WW spot to get back in the game, vs do I put one of these guys at the end of my bench or trade for them from an owner who hates them and see if I can't get some targets going. Really, I like this offense and it's been painful watching Dalton. Sort of pulling for this group in general. The only thing I don't think will change is the TE.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

6 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I guess the way I view this is that common wisdom is to dump Bengals and maybe that's right. Cincy RB & Wrs & TE are near dirt zip right now, right? But, if Finley has a good game they won't be. I've lost games by under 2.0 this year. Gordon, Shepard, DJax Ross and Green have sort of fuggabood my lineups. If Finley does have a good game I will have to kill x FAAB / WW spot to get back in the game, vs do I put one of these guys at the end of my bench or trade for them from an owner who hates them and see if I can't get some targets going. Really, I like this offense and it's been painful watching Dalton. Sort of pulling for this group in general. The only thing I don't think will change is the TE.

I'm wondering if Boyd will see the biggest bump...with Green back he'll no longer be drawing CB1 coverage and great fit for the short/intermediate range throws that seem to be Finley's strength.

55 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Agreed, and I would add, Green's target shares in his career have been around 30% throughout his career, among the highest in the NFL. The Bengals are averaging almost 7 more pass attempts per game than any other year of Green's career.

To me, if Green is healthy, he should be a substantial upgrade from Boyd/Tate, and could potentially be a low-end WR1 the rest of the year. This is a team that is on pace for just under 700 pass attempts. I don't think switching to a rookie QB is going to alter that much, as I don't believe they were throwing that often by choice to begin with. 

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

I think at this point, barring a Nathan Peterman-esqe showing he'll be the guy for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Throwing Finley in to face the Ravens may sound brutal, but it's actually not.  They only have 14 sacks to date (only ATL, CIN, MIA, and NYJ have less).  Also, they only have 7 INT's.  Their D isn't what it used to be.

Throwing Finley in to face the Ravens may sound brutal, but it's actually not.  They only have 14 sacks to date (only ATL, CIN, MIA, and NYJ have less).  Also, they only have 7 INT's.  Their D isn't what it used to be.

That Ravens DLine is going against the worst OLine in the NFL this week. Finley will be throwing against a much improved pass defense as the Ravens now sport a secondary featuring Marcus Peters and Jimmy Smith at corner. This should be a slaughterhouse. Now with no AJ Green. Doubt he would have made a difference.

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight - AJG's ankle swells after a short practice on a Wednesday, and by Thursday morning, he is already declaring himself out for a game that's not going to happen for 4 days?

• Thinking 1

Put yourself in his shoes.  It's a meaningless game with the team 0-8, he's getting to the end of his rehab and having some swelling.  Why on earth would he push it at this point?  To what purpose?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

So let me get this straight - AJG's ankle swells after a short practice on a Wednesday, and by Thursday morning, he is already declaring himself out for a game that's not going to happen for 4 days?

Even better his ankle swelled after a short practice on a Monday I believe and he’s out!

Asked about his contract situation Thursday, A.J. Green said he "(doesn't) really care."

"I don't really care about (the contract negotiations)," was Green's exact quote. "If (the Bengals are) worried about me not playing or not being healthy, then there's 32 teams out there. I'm not really worried about that situation." This sounds like it is going downhill fast. Green was supposed to finally make his 2019 debut this week but has since removed himself from consideration. The Bengals should have traded their longtime No. 1 wideout ahead of last month's deadline, but that is something only a smart franchise would do.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 PM ET

• Like 1

Well, it's been 10 wasted weeks on my bench.  It won't be 11.  Time to drop him and hit the waiver wire.

As for AJG, I think he is making the right call.  No hard feelings, you son of a ....

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Geez, he’s got swelling.  A football player.  With swelling.  Thoughts and prayers.

If it were another part of his body I'd probably agree. It's his ankle. It's where any and all motion as an athlete begins. Especially as a WR.

• Like 1

Just now, oddsbodkins said:

What a joke and of course the Bengals were played by not tossing him on IR months ago 

They played themselves when they didn't trade him.

• Like 5

They definitely should have traded him, unless they couldn't get much because he really wasn't healthy and we were all assuming that he was just doing a quiet hold out. 

meanwhile Erickson putting up pretty good numbers 3 weeks in a row if you need one of the garbage time WR's ... probably not much else out there available at this point either

6 Targets 4 Rec 47 yards

14 Targets 8 Rec 137 yards

7 Targets 6 Rec 97 yards

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Ridiculous. The Bengals got played because no one else was dumb enough to acquire him?

Is there any financial/contract ramifications for him if he is medically cleared, but just doesn’t want to?

Asked about his contract situation Thursday, A.J. Green said he "(doesn't) really care."

"I don't really care about (the contract negotiations)," was Green's exact quote. "If (the Bengals are) worried about me not playing or not being healthy, then there's 32 teams out there. I'm not really worried about that situation." This sounds like it is going downhill fast. Green was supposed to finally make his 2019 debut this week but has since removed himself from consideration. The Bengals should have traded their longtime No. 1 wideout ahead of last month's deadline, but that is something only a smart franchise would do.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 PM ET

Actually there would be 31 other teams out there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

They can still trade him this offseason.  He will probably fetch more this offseason because the team getting him will be signing him to a long term deal.  The team that would have traded for him at the trade deadline would have been only getting him as a half season rental.

25 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

If it were another part of his body I'd probably agree. It's his ankle. It's where any and all motion as an athlete begins. Especially as a WR.

I’m old enough to remember when a lot of people preferred AJ over Julio because of his...wait for it...

Durability!

I’d say that with this being week 10 of the NFL season, he’s one of the 5-10 healthiest players on the roster, a roster where he’s the wealthiest player on it...the ‘I got to put me first’ attitude feels a bit rich.

48 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

They can still trade him this offseason.  He will probably fetch more this offseason because the team getting him will be signing him to a long term deal.  The team that would have traded for him at the trade deadline would have been only getting him as a half season rental.

They would have to franchise him to do so and that complicates trades? 

Please just end this nonsense and IR him.  He might just be done.  Bodies break down at different ages.  His decline was fast and sudden if this is the end, but it really may be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeaLerZ said:

meanwhile Erickson putting up pretty good numbers 3 weeks in a row if you need one of the garbage time WR's ... probably not much else out there available at this point either

6 Targets 4 Rec 47 yards

14 Targets 8 Rec 137 yards

7 Targets 6 Rec 97 yards

Erickson or Tate?

Tate's last 3 weeks

12 Targets 5 Rec 91 yards

6 Targets 3 Rec 65 yards

13 Targets 5 Rec 65 yards

7 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Erickson or Tate?

Tate's last 3 weeks

12 Targets 5 Rec 91 yards

6 Targets 3 Rec 65 yards

13 Targets 5 Rec 65 yards

It’s a whole new world with Finley at helm. Tate would be more likely RZ threat (if they get in red zone).  

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

now out indefinitely

How does he go from being about to play to out indefinitely??? WTF are the bengals doing? It’s an ankle. It should be healed by now

11 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

How does he go from being about to play to out indefinitely??? WTF are the bengals doing? It’s an ankle. It should be healed by now

Screw it, I'm doing a 180, I am now fully on board with the idea that he is 100% and just doesn't want to play there anymore. I guess I wasn't being pessimistic enough.

• Like 1