What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I outright dropped him in a .25 PPR league yesterday.  In a corresponding move I picked up Devante Parker.

I have an "IR spot" (Yahoo), but him constantly being "questionable/doubtful" then "OUT" has been a headache. (Anything other than OUT triggers owners to have to make roster moves)

Regardless, its a headache many can't deal with during bye week scenarios.  He may well come back in a few weeks, but it's just not something most of us can wait on anymore. Plus there is always the risk of him being shut down again if he gets so much as a hangnail.

I would imagine in dynasty or keeper leagues he is a must hold, but I don't see many re-draft scenarios where you can hang onto him.

TZM
Been thinking about doing the same because it’s been a pain having to keep doing that 

Not sure whether to drop or hold in a keeper league with playoff position secured. Would probably drop in redraft. 
At this point, there isn't anyone on the wire I am more interested in, so I'm holding until I can snag someone for the playoffs. I grabbed Green as a lottey ticket, and built my team around not needing him, so if he doesn't come back not much would change besides missing out on WW lotto tickets while holding.

Hilariously, the only target I might choose over keeping him is AJ Brown, who I think could be startable despite a tough schedule coming up.

I outright dropped him in a .25 PPR league yesterday.  In a corresponding move I picked up Devante Parker.

I have an "IR spot" (Yahoo), but him constantly being "questionable/doubtful" then "OUT" has been a headache. (Anything other than OUT triggers owners to have to make roster moves)

Regardless, its a headache many can't deal with during bye week scenarios.  He may well come back in a few weeks, but it's just not something most of us can wait on anymore. Plus there is always the risk of him being shut down again if he gets so much as a hangnail.

I would imagine in dynasty or keeper leagues he is a must hold, but I don't see many re-draft scenarios where you can hang onto him.

TZM
It's not an issue if you put in your waiver claims before Tuesday. As long as your claims happen when a player is listed as OUT, your claims will process and that player will remain in the IR spot.

Hilariously, the only target I might choose over keeping him is AJ Brown, who I think could be startable despite a tough schedule coming up.
Ive been looking at A.J. Brown too, his playoff run looks like cake 

@OAK 31st in ppg given up to WR

HOU 28th

NO 24th 

I just wish TEN passed the ball more 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Bengals will "reassess" A.J. Green (ankle) this week.

Green had been hoping to return in Week 10 but was ruled out after seeing renewed swelling in his surgically-repaired ankle. Despite the setback, Green was spotted rehabbing at Paul Brown Stadium Sunday morning. Despite an 0-8 record and seemingly nothing to play for, the Bengals have not considered a "shutdown" for their injury-prone veteran, who is still aiming to return at some point this year. In the meantime, Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate and Alex Erickson will continue to operate as Cincy's top receiving trio.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 10, 2019, 10:10 AM ET

So what's the deal here?  Have held him this long, so what's another week, right?  But am confused by the day-to-day status.  That sounds like the team is trying to put pressure on him, but what leverage do they have given that they are 0-8?  It's not like the public is gonna turn on Green because he's costing the team a playoff spot?  Alternatively, could it really be day-to-day at this point?  Are there no beat reporters in Cinci that can tell us what's REALLY going on? 

I drafted him in the 6th in a one man keeper on the rd you drafted, only players after 3rd

Ive held him this long, I may as well keep him for next yr at this pt

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the deal here?  Have held him this long, so what's another week, right?  But am confused by the day-to-day status.  That sounds like the team is trying to put pressure on him, but what leverage do they have given that they are 0-8?  It's not like the public is gonna turn on Green because he's costing the team a playoff spot?  Alternatively, could it really be day-to-day at this point?  Are there no beat reporters in Cinci that can tell us what's REALLY going on? 
0-9 at this point

Dropped him for Guice who was sitting on the wire. The dude balls when he is healthy but its now clear that this offense is not a sustainable well of fantasy points, and if he even sees the field it will just be a trap for the doe-eyed hopefuls of this world such as myself. I'd rather not.

As if this situation couldn't get any worse... just read the other day that John Ross could/should be back from IR in a couple weeks. 

Fighting Ross Boyd and possibly Tate for targets from a rookie QB in a lost season.  Yippie.

It's not an issue if you put in your waiver claims before Tuesday. As long as your claims happen when a player is listed as OUT, your claims will process and that player will remain in the IR spot.
This is correct, but you also can't make any trade offers if he goes to Q while he's in your IR slot, you have to move him out just to make the offer which hamstrings you

Edit - I'm sure about this in ESPN leagues as I have him there.  Yahoo may allow it, don't know

Last edited by a moderator:
This is correct, but you also can't make any trade offers if he goes to Q while he's in your IR slot, you have to move him out just to make the offer which hamstrings you

Edit - I'm sure about this in ESPN leagues as I have him there.  Yahoo may allow it, don't know
I'm not sure. I'm on Yahoo and can make offers and it doesn't mention anything. Usually when you attempt to do anything, you'll get the error about him not being out.

Also, he's just been ruled OUT (not officially of course). 

A.J. Green (ankle) is out for Week 11 against the Raiders.

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said the swelling in Green's left ankle has gone down, but admitted he's still not ready to resume practicing. Cincinnati has so far been reluctant to shut Green down, though his return does not appear imminent. The Bengals promoted WR Damion Willis from their practice squad Friday, suggesting Alex Erickson (back) could also be in danger of missing Sunday's game in Oakland.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 12:14 PM ET

I'm not ready to throw in the towel and cut Green in redraft just yet. Perhaps if he's not on the field by week 13.

Of course there's been a huge sunk cost. But too much potential value to be putting on the waiver wire this time of year unless immediately replacing it with equal/better option. 

I hate how ESPN does their designations. It took them all the way until today to mark him out even though he hasn’t played. 

I'm not ready to throw in the towel and cut Green in redraft just yet. Perhaps if he's not on the field by week 13.

Of course there's been a huge sunk cost. But too much potential value to be putting on the waiver wire this time of year unless immediately replacing it with equal/better option. 
This is where I am.  Only thing more painful than the sunk cost would be dropping him, having someone else pick him up and him contributing to another team in the playoff weeks.  

If it was Dalton at QB I would hold out a little longer but with Finley even a healthy AJ would only be a WR3. Wk 15 is vs. NE defense. I'm out.

My thought which has already been expressed here is why would he play with this team thereby hurting his free agency prospects. 
There is some value to the thought of being able to show other teams that you are fully recovered, but it probably won't matter that much.  He will have suitors for his services regardless.

Bengals WR A.J. Green (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 12.

It seems incredibly unlikely that Green plays a single snap in 2019. Tyler Boyd is the only receiver in this offense that deserves even a little bit of fantasy consideration. This is mostly because he's due for positive TD regression, as his 94 targets are tied with D.J. Moore for the most in the league among all players with one or fewer receiving touchdowns. Still, Boyd isn't anything more than an upside WR4 in a not-great matchup as long as the league's single-worst QB is operating under center.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 1:33 PM ET

Just odd how he never went to I.R. I want to drop him so bad.... but the thought of him playing during the fantasy playoffs and somebody else cashing in on that .... bitter pill to swallow bro .. this dude is so annoying 

He's lost so much good faith with the fantasy community. Previous to this, you never saw an ill word towards this guy. Now, he's just about universally detested.

He's lost so much good faith with the fantasy community. Previous to this, you never saw an ill word towards this guy. Now, he's just about universally detested.
I hope your are right because I will be ecstatic if AJ is available in the 5th round of next year's fantasy draft (even if he is still on the Bungles).

Held onto him for 8 weeks in redraft - cut before week 9 - quite sure he doesn't play in 2019

Will be targeting him in 2020 redraft

CIN's run game has been atrocious.  Only MIA has a lower YPC, and only ATL has run less.  They have been playing from behind all season, and their 70/30 pass/run ratio is only matched by ATL.  I doubt their run game will turn it around, and they will continue to throw from behind.  CIN's season is toast, and they are gonna let Finley throw as much as he wants.  Sure, he may completely suck, but the WR targets will continue.  And, if Finley can't handle the job, they will revert to Dalton to finish the season.
:goodposting:

I'm wondering if this might be a deciding factor for AJG to make a return to the field...at the very least it should boost Boyd's value back to its early season level.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28162424/bengals-start-andy-dalton-quarterback-again-sit-ryan-finley

I think if Andy plays AJ plays.

Will be fun if they get the one win and shut it down.

Finley vs NE in a couple weeks would be an ugly scene.

All this said, I really would like to see Dolegala get a game or two.  He is way more intriguing than Finley ever was.

-QG

Dalton and his WR corps could produce well vs NYJ this week.  The Jets run D has been outstanding.  They lead the NFL in fewest yards and also YPC.  For the purpose of this thread, the question is, will AJ suit up?  I did read the Rotoworld blurb suggesting AJ may play if Dalton does, but I will believe it when I see it.

TheWinz said:
Dalton and his WR corps could produce well vs NYJ this week.  The Jets run D has been outstanding.  They lead the NFL in fewest yards and also YPC.  For the purpose of this thread, the question is, will AJ suit up?  I did read the Rotoworld blurb suggesting AJ may play if Dalton does, but I will believe it when I see it.
Yep.   Will believe it when I see it at this point.   He is probably settling in for the holidays with the family.

Weebs210 said:
Yeah I did a few weeks ago...hurts but would you even be comfortable starting him in the playoffs if he miraculously plays?
I might.  He has probably been 100% healthy for a month or longer.  Him and Dalton could pick up right where they left off.  But I'd probably wait to see him play a week.  And there is time for that to happen.  He could come back in Week 14 and if he looked good I'd start him in Week 15 and 16.  Or if he plays Week 15 and produces, I'd play him Week 16.  He does play the Patriots Week 15 so maybe I would only consider starting him Week 16 when he plays the Dolphins.  At this stage of the season, he is worth rostering just for Week 16.  I have several handcuff running backs rostered who have a 5% chance of playing.  AJ has a 25%-50% chance of playing in Week 16.  He could be a Kingmaker.

Dropped him this morning to get a share of Darrel Williams.  Waited so that nobody could get a free roll on him.  I am safely in the playoffs and might consider trying to grab him again, as Hutson makes some good points, but I just think that’s chance is well below 50%.

I'm in the camp that his absence is looking more and more like a business decision and I don't think Dalton's return will dramatically tip the scale towards playing meaningless games on an expiring contract. I don't believe he needs to play this year to prove he is healthy. There are other ways to do that on or before March.

I'm in the camp that his absence is looking more and more like a business decision and I don't think Dalton's return will dramatically tip the scale towards playing meaningless games on an expiring contract. I don't believe he needs to play this year to prove he is healthy. There are other ways to do that on or before March.
I think he will be fully healthy in 2020 and return to being a WR1. Just stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread