Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

Official AJ Green

1 hour ago, Weebs210 said:

Yeah I did a few weeks ago...hurts but would you even be comfortable starting him in the playoffs if he miraculously plays?

I might.  He has probably been 100% healthy for a month or longer.  Him and Dalton could pick up right where they left off.  But I'd probably wait to see him play a week.  And there is time for that to happen.  He could come back in Week 14 and if he looked good I'd start him in Week 15 and 16.  Or if he plays Week 15 and produces, I'd play him Week 16.  He does play the Patriots Week 15 so maybe I would only consider starting him Week 16 when he plays the Dolphins.  At this stage of the season, he is worth rostering just for Week 16.  I have several handcuff running backs rostered who have a 5% chance of playing.  AJ has a 25%-50% chance of playing in Week 16.  He could be a Kingmaker.

Dropped him this morning to get a share of Darrel Williams.  Waited so that nobody could get a free roll on him.  I am safely in the playoffs and might consider trying to grab him again, as Hutson makes some good points, but I just think that’s chance is well below 50%.

I'm in the camp that his absence is looking more and more like a business decision and I don't think Dalton's return will dramatically tip the scale towards playing meaningless games on an expiring contract. I don't believe he needs to play this year to prove he is healthy. There are other ways to do that on or before March.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, habsfan said:

I'm in the camp that his absence is looking more and more like a business decision and I don't think Dalton's return will dramatically tip the scale towards playing meaningless games on an expiring contract. I don't believe he needs to play this year to prove he is healthy. There are other ways to do that on or before March.

I think he will be fully healthy in 2020 and return to being a WR1. Just stay healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [scooter] said:

As a John Ross stasher, I am hoping that Green remains sidelined.

More importantly... that Green leaves in 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gandalf said:

I think he will be fully healthy in 2020 and return to being a WR1. Just stay healthy.

He will be a star in somebody else's sky, but why can't it be mine...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Boone22 said:

More importantly... that Green leaves in 2020. 

The word back around the trade deadline was that he didn't get traded because the Bengals are planning to extend him and he wants to be there.  I don't know how much truth there was to that.  I also don't know if he is really fully healthy. 

1 hour ago, Rove! said:

He will be a star in somebody else's sky, but why can't it be mine...

Best band ever

• Like 1

Mixon, Bernard, Green, Boyd, Ross, Eifert - A QB with a decent line could do some real damage with those weapons

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

Mixon, Bernard, Green, Boyd, Ross, Eifert - A QB with a decent line could do some real damage with those weapons

A couple of those guys could be traded for linemen and they'd be better off.

12 hours ago, [scooter] said:

A couple of those guys could be traded for linemen and they'd be better off.

Didn't Cincinnati draft an OT Johan Williams from Alabama last year?

Isn't he healing from shoulder surgery? 

If healthy, he should be an upgrade somewhere on that OL.

1 hour ago, whole-show said:

Zac Taylor on AJ Green- “Don’t think he’ll play” per Geoff Hobson

Shocking

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green (ankle) is out for Week 14 against the Browns.

Coach Zac Taylor continues to maintain hope that Green will play this season, but it's becoming more and more pointless by the week for him to actually step on the field. Green has four weeks left in his Bengals tenure before he'll be eligible for free agency.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:44 PM ET

59 minutes ago, Faust said:

Rotoworld:

A.J. Green (ankle) is out for Week 14 against the Browns.

Coach Zac Taylor continues to maintain hope that Green will play this season, but it's becoming more and more pointless by the week for him to actually step on the field. Green has four weeks left in his Bengals tenure before he'll be eligible for free agency.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:44 PM ET

Interesting... so I guess we just learned that Zac Taylor follows the Shark Pool.

• Laughing 1

I no longer have AJ on any team, yet check this tread every time it’s updated 

:oldhabits:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

I no longer have AJ on any team, yet check this tread every time it’s updated 

:oldhabits:

I technically have never had him. I drafted him for the first time in his career this year, so yeah.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, oddsbodkins said:

He's lost so much good faith with the fantasy community. Previous to this, you never saw an ill word towards this guy. Now, he's just about universally detested.

I don’t really sense this at all.

• Like 3

I drafted Green in the 7th, expecting he would be miss a month or so, alas, not to be.

I ask this question, I wonder if there has ever been an instance where a (non-holdout) player was:

1) Not on the practice squad

2) Inactive for every game

3) Never went on IR

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports A.J. Green (ankle) has not been ruled out for Weeks 16-17.

Green has looked good in practice the past two weeks and reportedly "wants" to return for the team's final two games. With Green headed for free agency after 2019, this could be the last we see of him in a Bengals uniform. It would be a fitting sendoff for Green, though it's uncertain how much he'd play coming off what has been a lengthy absence. That makes him a risky fantasy bet.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 15, 2019, 10:42 AM ET

Speaking Tuesday, A.J. Green (hamstring) confirmed he is unlikely to suit up in Week 16 or 17.

Green is a pending free agent, and the Bengals have been out of the playoff hunt for many weeks. Neither side was going to gain much from his return. Cincinnati could opt to franchise tag Green before he hits the open market this spring, or they could let the veteran test free agency. "I have no problem with the franchise (tag)," Green said Tuesday, before confirming that he would play should the Bengals go that route. The 31-year-old veteran didn't take the field this year but posted 694 yards and six scores through nine games in 2018. With a full season to get healthy, Green is in line for a major payday, possibly from a contending team looking to make a push in 2020. Considering his recent injury history, however, Green could have trouble getting much guaranteed money beyond next season.

Dec 17, 2019, 4:56 PM ET

Held this guy all damn year because I can keep him with a 10th next year. Probably sign with Jax and go 17-190-0 before hurting himself again.

• Like 1

This guy either 1) took a team that has treated him extremely well for a BS ride for 3 months or 2) is extraordinarily brittle.

His ankle swelled up two months ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oddsbodkins said:

Held this guy all damn year because I can keep him with a 10th next year. Probably sign with Jax and go 17-190-0 before hurting himself again.

This is what I am betting.. With his age and this injury with the absence, I have a hard time believing he is going to be a WR1 anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, PennStater77 said:

With his age and this injury with the absence, I have a hard time believing he is going to be a WR1 anytime soon.

Really?  Seems like a no brainer for Green to be rostered at this point in the season in keeper/dynasty leagues.  It's basically a free square to see if he signs with a different team next year and then you could decide if he's worth keeping at that point.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, Steeler said:

Really?  Seems like a no brainer for Green to be rostered at this point in the season in keeper/dynasty leagues.  It's basically a free square to see if he signs with a different team next year and then you could decide if he's worth keeping at that point.

One really big problem. WRs that change teams have a horrendous track record and this guy is 31 with major injury history.

17 minutes ago, lod001 said:

One really big problem. WRs that change teams have a horrendous track record and this guy is 31 with major injury history.

I think the track record changes if you limit the comparison to WRs with Green's resume, but admittedly it still is not a guaranteed success story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Green going on injured reserve. Why they are making the move now is beyond me.

Lol, because they are the BENGALS!  That's why.  I was stupid enough to draft him having forgotten this fact.  I assumed that since he wasn't IR'd that the professionals knew he'd be back by week 6 or so.  I forgot that the professionals that I was relying on are employed BY THE BENGALS!

• Like 1

I wonder if there was a roster bonus for being on the active roster the entire year or something.

Rotoworld take:

Bengals placed WR A.J. Green (ankle) on injured reserve.

Green was kept on the active roster for 16 of 17 weeks and didn't record a single snap. From failing to gauge the trade market to assuming he'd play without an extension in-hand mid-season, the organization obviously could not have handled this situation any worse. Green said last week that he would have "no problem" signing a franchise tag but would prefer a "longer commitment" from the team if he's staying in Cincinnati. Even if he struggles with the guaranteed money in his contract long-term beyond 2020, the 31-year-old free-agent-to-be is obviously in store for a huge payday down the road. The Bengals will close the year with Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson, and John Ross in three-wide sets.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 1:05 PM ET

3 hours ago, zed2283 said:

Patriots?

It's certainly a possibility.  Seems like just the kind of WR they would target in free agency.

in my redraft keeper he's a 5th round cost... will be interesting to see where he lands and what his ADP will be in 2020

Speaking to reporters Monday, impending free agent A.J. Green remained hopeful of reaching a long-term deal with Cincinnati.

Green didn't appear in any games this year while recovering from offseason ankle surgery. It would be understandable if Green opted for a change of scenery with Cincinnati in the beginning stages of what figures to be a lengthy rebuild, though the 31-year-old insists he'd rather be a Bengal. "If something should get done, then I'm here. I want to be here," said the seven-time Pro Bowler. "I think they want me here. We'll see what happens." Despite an injury-plagued last two seasons, Green is adamant he can still play at a high level. Though Green would undoubtedly prefer the security of a long-term deal, he wouldn't fight it if the Bengals assigned him the franchise tag this offseason.

SOURCE: Joe Danneman on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 11:55 AM ET

Bengals' offseason priorities: Futures of A.J. Green and Joe Mixon, QB picture

Excerpt:

The dilemma surrounding Green, one of the NFL's best wide receivers since he was drafted in 2011, started before he suffered an ankle injury during the first preseason practice that kept him out for the entire season. The seven-time Pro Bowler didn't play a single snap in the final year of his four-year, $60 million deal.

And for the second consecutive offseason, there are questions regarding Green's long-term future in Cincinnati. The likely outcome is for the Bengals to use the franchise tag on Green, paying him around $17 million for the 2020 season. He has said he will begrudgingly accept playing on the tag. But that's a short-term solution that doesn't answer a major question.

At some point, the Bengals have to decide if Green is worth a long-term commitment, one that likely won’t be cheap.

Green will be 33 when the 2021 season begins. Since 2010, just five wide receivers had 1,000-yard seasons at that age, according to ESPN Stats & Information research: Reggie Wayne (2012), Steve Smith (2012, 2014), Anquan Boldin (2014), Larry Fitzgerald(2016, 2017) and Julian Edelman(2019).

Fitzgerald, a fair comparison to Green, received a two-year deal for $22 million in 2015. Fitzgerald, a future Hall of Famer, was 33 at the end of that deal.

His ADP's gonna be all over the place for 2020.  I had him rostered last year, and finally gave in and dropped him around week 9 IIRC.  Will I shy away this year?  Nope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

His ADP's gonna be all over the place for 2020.  I had him rostered last year, and finally gave in and dropped him around week 9 IIRC.  Will I shy away this year?  Nope

I'm not going to shy away but he is a player that I will try to get on the cheap.  Like you said, he will be drafted in extreme varying spots in different leagues.  I'll probably only land him in a quarter of my leagues but that is probably a good thing since he does present a lot of risk.

Edited by Don Hutson

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said re-signing A.J. Green is "definitely" a priority.

Taylor added that there will "have" to be contract negotiations this spring. 32 in July, Green has appeared in just nine games the past two years due to a lingering toe injury and offseason ankle surgery. He previously stated he wants to remain in Cincinnati as long as the two sides can come to an agreement, but the franchise tag is obviously in the cards as a fallback plan. Green's in store for a hefty payday even if he's unable to secure a reasonable guaranteed amount beyond 2020.

SOURCE: Roster Watch on Twitter

Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Impending free agent A.J. Green implied he'd prefer to avoid the franchise tag.

"A franchise tag is not the best thing," Green conceded, though the seven-time Pro Bowler also added he's not in a position to turn down $18 million. "I love the city of Cincinnati. I love the team," Green continued. "I always wanted to be here my whole career and I feel like we have the pieces if I were to stay healthy." The 31-year-old never got on the field in 2019, missing all 16 games following offseason ankle surgery. There seems to be mutual interest in reaching a long-term deal, though if talks stall, the Bengals could buy themselves more time by assigning Green the franchise tag, even if it's not his preference.

SOURCE: Elise Jesse on Twitter

Jan 23, 2020, 1:46 PM ET