What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (2 Viewers)

People seem to be a little down on Green this year. He was at the Bryant/Thomas level a year ago. Is it fear that he's not 100%
Recency bias and the fact that of the elite WRs, he's probably got the worst QB. Dalton is OK, but he could do a lot better.
All this talk of how bad Dalton is cracks me up. 2 years ago when he had people to throw to he had 4200 yards and 33 TD's. With the wretched Andy Dalton, Green was able to put up back to back 97 and 98 catch seasons with 1300 and 1400 yards and 11 TD's in each year.

I don't give a rats ### that Dalton can't win a playoff game. I'm not the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm the owner of the Knights. A pretend football team where I pretend to own the rights and production of AJ Green. And in that pretend league, AJ Green lights it up when healthy even with Andy Dalton throwing the ball to him.
Watch the games and you'll see Dalton leaves points on the field all the time. He misses AJ deep on a regular basis. Hell, there is an entire thread devoted to it. Dalton isn't a bad QB, I've never said that. I've actually defended him in many regards. He doesn't come close to maximizing AJ's talent, though.
Who cares, unless you think Dalton is getting benched for AJ McCarron. His point remains. With Dalton "leaving points on the field all the time," AJ Green has put up consecutive seasons of 85-1280-7 (prorated), 98-1426-11, and 97-1350-11. When on the field, AJ Green puts up elite WR1 numbers.
Who cares? Drafters care and that's why he isn't being drafted up there with the elite WRs. We were discussing WHY he isn't being drafted there.
So the claim now is that he's not being drafted as highly because he's put up an average of 95-1350-10 with the QB whom is the reason that he's not being drafted highly? Makes tons of sense. Carry on to wherever this logic train is headed.
You can get yourself in a tizzy over whatever logic you want. The results are what they are. Green is being drafted after the elite WRs in round 2, pick 20 overall. Actual people drafting are making this choice, weather you like it or not. The discussion was why. It seems people are holding onto last years injury riddled results and his QB.

This past weekend I saw him go as WR8 behind Cobb and the drafter said it was between Cobb and Green but Cobb has Rodgers.

who cares why people are letting him slide...let them.

Ive been able to draft L. Bell/A. Brown in the 1st, and then come back around and grab Green in the 2nd.

Thats money all day long to me.

Ive been able to draft L. Bell/A. Brown in the 1st, and then come back around and grab Green in the 2nd.

Sounds great but keep in mind it plays both ways: the consensus picks ARE that he is going in that range but that means the consensus is also that A LOT of people think he is simply the 8-10th best WR option, which means that people drafting after you in the first are getting better WRS (Brown/Julio, Thomas, etc.)

Of course, all those people may be bonkers and you are stealing when you get AJ. It happens. Maybe the majority is whiffing on taking Beckham that high. Maybe it IS a mistake taking Megatron higher. Maybe Cobb WON'T be extremely valuable now.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. I have actually thought about this A LOT and I actually posted a few times in the past week that AJ Green at no.10? REALLY? But I've thought about it and am willing to acknowledge that it is very possible that those of us asking "REALLY?" are the ones getting caught up in the name and trying to justify the injury, etc, and that it truly is much more likely than not that there ARE 8-10 WRs out there set up to have better statistical seasons than AJ Green. It sounds crazy but may just be facts and that just tells us how deep and talented the WRs are right now. Look at the list:

A. Brown and D. Bryant-can't argue.

D. Thomas playing with less competition than before on a Manning team that looks better -can't argue.

Julio with Roddy slowing, Shanahan there with a proved record of featuring the "x", a bad defense and weak running game- can't argue.

Odell Beckham -I don't personally think he repeats the hype he is getting but I can understand why he is higher on the list than AJ.

Randall Cobb on one of the most dangerous offenses in the league ran by Aaron Rodgers and his biggest competition is out all year -can't argue.

Alshon Jeffery, T.Y. Hilton, and Mike Evans- three slightly watered-down, yet completely plausible scenarios of the same situation as Cobb -can't argue.

That's nine guys already and we haven't mentioned Calvin Johnson, a guy that posted 2k yards just a few years ago.

We may all like or not like certain players but when you look up and down this murderer's row of WR talent and see the Qbs these guys are playing with and add their particular situations, it's actually easy to see why AJ green might be "spectacular, yet not among the best" in 2015.

To me, it is much easier to envision a scenario where Shanahan pepper Julio and the Bengals and Hue Jackson use Jeremy Hill more than it is to think the Red Rocket is just going to throw all day to AJ and Aaron Rodgers isn't going to make Randall Cobb effective.

Sounds great but keep in mind it plays both ways: the consensus picks ARE that he is going in that range but that means the consensus is also that A LOT of people think he is simply the 8-10th best WR option, which means that people drafting after you in the first are getting better WRS (Brown/Julio, Thomas, etc.)

Of course, all those people may be bonkers and you are stealing when you get AJ. It happens. Maybe the majority is whiffing on taking Beckham that high. Maybe it IS a mistake taking Megatron higher. Maybe Cobb WON'T be extremely valuable now.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. I have actually thought about this A LOT and I actually posted a few times in the past week that AJ Green at no.10? REALLY? But I've thought about it and am willing to acknowledge that it is very possible that those of us asking "REALLY?" are the ones getting caught up in the name and trying to justify the injury, etc, and that it truly is much more likely than not that there ARE 8-10 WRs out there set up to have better statistical seasons than AJ Green. It sounds crazy but may just be facts and that just tells us how deep and talented the WRs are right now. Look at the list:

D. Thomas playing with less competition than before on a Manning team that looks better -can't argue.

Julio with Roddy slowing, Shanahan there with a proved record of featuring the "x", a bad defense and weak running game- can't argue.

Odell Beckham -I don't personally think he repeats the hype he is getting but I can understand why he is higher on the list than AJ.

Randall Cobb on one of the most dangerous offenses in the league ran by Aaron Rodgers and his biggest competition is out all year -can't argue.

Alshon Jeffery, T.Y. Hilton, and Mike Evans- three slightly watered-down, yet completely plausible scenarios of the same situation as Cobb -can't argue.

That's nine guys already and we haven't mentioned Calvin Johnson, a guy that posted 2k yards just a few years ago.

We may all like or not like certain players but when you look up and down this murderer's row of WR talent and see the Qbs these guys are playing with and add their particular situations, it's actually easy to see why AJ green might be "spectacular, yet not among the best" in 2015.

To me, it is much easier to envision a scenario where Shanahan pepper Julio and the Bengals and Hue Jackson use Jeremy Hill more than it is to think the Red Rocket is just going to throw all day to AJ and Aaron Rodgers isn't going to make Randall Cobb effective.
No way in hell do I take Jeffrey, Hilton, or Evans over AJ Green. Bryant, Brown, Thomas, Calvin, and Julio...yes. For me, Green is in a tier with ODB and Cobb.

All may be true.

Im someone that drafts on ceiling though.

I think AJ's ceiling is as high as anyone...and he wants to get paid this year.

Even with last year being an off year...the times he played he was $$$.

I like the fact that CIN will (should) be able to spread the ball and run. Defenses arent going to be able to key in on AJ every play.

But this is Andy Dalton were talking about...I cant imagine him straying too far away from AJ...AJ is still by far the most talented person on that offense.

Im seeing him being drafted with TY & Mike Evans...Im taking AJ every time.

I like Green as WR7-8. There are numerous reasons why all the other WRs are going ahead of him. That said, I like Green a lot more than all the WRs going in the next 12 or so picks after him though and Hopkins is the only one even close for me.

No way in hell do I take Jeffrey, Hilton, or Evans over AJ Green. Bryant, Brown, Thomas, Calvin, and Julio...yes. For me, Green is in a tier with ODB and Cobb.
These are just examples and we could exchange those names with Watkins and a handful of others. But your preference is Green. THat's cool. Just saying A LOT of people don't see it that way and it's not unreasonable. Any of the guys I mentioned could beat Green easily this year. Luck bombing to Hilton all year long. Jeffrey is the one man show in Chicago. Evans is a beast in the making. Everyone on that list with the exception of Evans has a superior QB throwing to them. The Bengals are one of the few teams on that list that care about a run game and have TWO really good RBs. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Evans catch 12-14 Tds and the Bengals run a lot this year, play great defense, reward their RBs, and Green end up with 9 Tds.

All may be true.

Im someone that drafts on ceiling though.

I think AJ's ceiling is as high as anyone...and he wants to get paid this year.

Even with last year being an off year...the times he played he was $$$.

I like the fact that CIN will (should) be able to spread the ball and run. Defenses arent going to be able to key in on AJ every play.

But this is Andy Dalton were talking about...I cant imagine him straying too far away from AJ...AJ is still by far the most talented person on that offense.

Im seeing him being drafted with TY & Mike Evans...Im taking AJ every time.
I can definitely see it both ways and I wouldn't argue anyone taking any of those guys in any order. Again, its preference.

The one thing I DO think helps the other guys (Hilton, Evans, etc) is that those teams are more likely to be engrained with the philosophy to throw throw throw where the Bengals might just not). Colts against ANYONE, I guarantee you Luck is chucking it. Bengals vs. Browns, MAYBE they run it more. Just preference .

Marvin Jones is gonna be a massive help to AJ.

Toughest thing is the schedule, which is pretty rough this year.

-QG

I thought playing for a contract was good for fantasy, and players that just recently got paid the big bucks might be ever so slightly less inclined to put 100% effort in. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm glad his ADP is down to where I might get him as my WR 2 In the middle of the second round.
When you want to make more money. Yes.

But AJ Green is going to get paid based on what he has already done (i.e. he is already sitting at a max amount). Sans an unfortunate injury.
If he slacks off and stinks up the place in a contract year, you think they'll pay him big for being awesome in previous years?
Yes. Absolutely.

People seem to be a little down on Green this year. He was at the Bryant/Thomas level a year ago. Is it fear that he's not 100%
Recency bias and the fact that of the elite WRs, he's probably got the worst QB. Dalton is OK, but he could do a lot better.
All this talk of how bad Dalton is cracks me up. 2 years ago when he had people to throw to he had 4200 yards and 33 TD's. With the wretched Andy Dalton, Green was able to put up back to back 97 and 98 catch seasons with 1300 and 1400 yards and 11 TD's in each year.

I don't give a rats ### that Dalton can't win a playoff game. I'm not the owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm the owner of the Knights. A pretend football team where I pretend to own the rights and production of AJ Green. And in that pretend league, AJ Green lights it up when healthy even with Andy Dalton throwing the ball to him.
Watch the games and you'll see Dalton leaves points on the field all the time. He misses AJ deep on a regular basis. Hell, there is an entire thread devoted to it. Dalton isn't a bad QB, I've never said that. I've actually defended him in many regards. He doesn't come close to maximizing AJ's talent, though.
Agreed that Dalton is an issue if you're drafting Green hoping for a 125/2000/20 season. Of course, if you're hoping for more along the lines of 100/1500/10, Dalton has shown on every recent occasion that he can help Green get there quite consistently.

As to why FF experts around the world are devaluing Green this year? Uncertainty.

Last year, the first under OC Hue Jackson, AND without Green, they only threw for about 3400 yards. Obviously, a similar gameplan and similar results would cap the hell out of Green's potential. Now, of course, Green IS back as the best weapon in the passing game. And lots of other good passing game weapons are healthy now, too. AND Jackson has stated openly his intention to change the dynamics of the attack. But still, that leaves a lot of uncertainty with regards to HOW they're going to play, and renders Green's historical performances a lot foggier with regards to their relevance.

Seems to me the sane thing to do is stick him in that tier with all the other great, proven receivers...but default him to the end of it. Which, not coincidentally, is pretty much exactly where he's showing up, both in every set of expert rankings, and in drafts. :shrug:

I don't think the FF community at large really nails it all that often. But this seems like a case where they did.
How many WR's have had 2,000 yards receiving? The answer is none If AJ Green had 1600 yards receiving, that would be one of the top 20 receiving years of all time. 1500 is in the top 40 seasons of all time. So yeah, I'm hoping for 1500 yards and 10 and that will be enough to put him in top 5 discussion. Only 4 guys topped 1500 yards last year. Only 1 did it in 2013 (2 came close Antonio Brown missed by 1 yard and Calvin Johnson by 8). In 2012, only 3 players did it and Calvin crushed it with 1964 yards and the record for most in a season.

So I'll take those mediocre numbers of 1500 yards....

Agreed that Dalton is an issue if you're drafting Green hoping for a 125/2000/20 season. Of course, if you're hoping for more along the lines of 100/1500/10, Dalton has shown on every recent occasion that he can help Green get there quite consistently.

As to why FF experts around the world are devaluing Green this year? Uncertainty.

Last year, the first under OC Hue Jackson, AND without Green, they only threw for about 3400 yards. Obviously, a similar gameplan and similar results would cap the hell out of Green's potential. Now, of course, Green IS back as the best weapon in the passing game. And lots of other good passing game weapons are healthy now, too. AND Jackson has stated openly his intention to change the dynamics of the attack. But still, that leaves a lot of uncertainty with regards to HOW they're going to play, and renders Green's historical performances a lot foggier with regards to their relevance.

Seems to me the sane thing to do is stick him in that tier with all the other great, proven receivers...but default him to the end of it. Which, not coincidentally, is pretty much exactly where he's showing up, both in every set of expert rankings, and in drafts. :shrug:

I don't think the FF community at large really nails it all that often. But this seems like a case where they did.
How many WR's have had 2,000 yards receiving? The answer is none If AJ Green had 1600 yards receiving, that would be one of the top 20 receiving years of all time. 1500 is in the top 40 seasons of all time. So yeah, I'm hoping for 1500 yards and 10 and that will be enough to put him in top 5 discussion. Only 4 guys topped 1500 yards last year. Only 1 did it in 2013 (2 came close Antonio Brown missed by 1 yard and Calvin Johnson by 8). In 2012, only 3 players did it and Calvin crushed it with 1964 yards and the record for most in a season.

So I'll take those mediocre numbers of 1500 yards....
Way to snag the point, Socrates.

Those guys' situations aren't anything like Randall Cobb's. Alshon has nothing even remotely resembling that level of QB, TY Hilton had a bunch of potentially diluting weapons ADDED, not removed by injury, and Evans has a little bit of both of those situations facing him.

None of those three belong anywhere near a discussion of WR's that might reasonably be taken instead of AJ Green at any point in the draft. Their dream scenarios for FF owners might not even quite reach the level of year-to-year production AJ's proven you can rely on from him.

Why does Dalton not even look at AJ Green? Outside of two great games he's been rather pedestrian this season.

Dalton has taken 3 deep shots to Jones and none to Green, I might not be a professional QB or OC, but WTF?

What I've noticed, at least in a few games, is that they'll do an AJ drive where he gets almost all the looks. Ergo, most of his stats come from that drive and that drive alone. I don't get it either.

It's called the get cute game plan. It rarely works but Cinci is just so talented they can pull it off.

This guy had been so boom or bust. I coulda had Julio but the guy right before me took him so I settled for AJ.

Darn.

Disappointing. Not the target monster he once was, and except for the two blow up weeks, pretty underwhelming.

Drafted him as my WR2 behind AB two years ago & thought he was pretty consistent (I was riding Gordon's historic streak so maybe I just depended on him less.) Took him in the 2nd round this year after taking Brown at 1.04. Thought long & hard about Hopkins (he went next.) Oh what might have been.

For my WR3 I used Travis Benjamin several weeks, picked up Diggs, and recently traded for ARob. LaFell is rotting on the end of my bench. Starting to question I'm starting AJ every week.

As an owner of Antonio Brown, Martavius Bryant and this guy, I'm thinking that after Pitt's bye week, I might start Brown and Bryant every week and bench this guy. Bryant has been WAY more consistent since coming off the suspension

Disappointing. Not the target monster he once was, and except for the two blow up weeks, pretty underwhelming.

Drafted him as my WR2 behind AB two years ago & thought he was pretty consistent (I was riding Gordon's historic streak so maybe I just depended on him less.) Took him in the 2nd round this year after taking Brown at 1.04. Thought long & hard about Hopkins (he went next.) Oh what might have been.

For my WR3 I used Travis Benjamin several weeks, picked up Diggs, and recently traded for ARob. LaFell is rotting on the end of my bench. Starting to question I'm starting AJ every week.
I acquired AJ thinking he'd be a no brain #2 next to J. Jones every week.

Now I've got A. Robinson creeping into the #2 WR spot and I'm actually debating if I should start AJ Green, S. Watkins, or S. Johnson.

There is just no logic as to when AJ goes off or not. Matchup data doesn't work.

My hope is that Cinci wakes the hell up, stops messing around with goofy formations, and goes back to their bread and butter after the terrible Hou loss.

Which makes sense. Teams are waking up to the fact that funneling the whole offense through one receiver makes an offense easy to slow down. In addition to that Dalton is developing as a QB and doesn't "need" to force it to Green every play.

He's still on pace for 150 targets which would be his 3rd highest total for a year. 2012 (164) and 2013 (180)

I acquired AJ thinking he'd be a no brain #2 next to J. Jones every week.

Now I've got A. Robinson creeping into the #2 WR spot and I'm actually debating if I should start AJ Green, S. Watkins, or S. Johnson.

There is just no logic as to when AJ goes off or not. Matchup data doesn't work.

My hope is that Cinci wakes the hell up, stops messing around with goofy formations, and goes back to their bread and butter after the terrible Hou loss.
I drafted the both as rookies thinking I would have a pretty solid tandem for years to come. The only problem is I play in a salary/contract league. Max length of contracts is 3 years. I was made a solid offer for one of the two. I chose to keep AJ Green and move Julio for Antonio Brown and some other nice commodities as I was not going to be able to keep them both long term. In the short term, it worked well as Julio went on the IR not long after the trade. But now, I'd rather have Julio.

Which makes sense. Teams are waking up to the fact that funneling the whole offense through one receiver makes an offense easy to slow down. In addition to that Dalton is developing as a QB and doesn't "need" to force it to Green every play.

He's still on pace for 150 targets which would be his 3rd highest total for a year. 2012 (164) and 2013 (180)
Maybe I have a simplistic view when it comes to offensive football, but I've watched Cincy a few times this year. Every game, Gio looks better than Hill by a large margin (I own 2 shares of Hill, 1 of Gio, so this observation is strictly football), and Green looks like a more reliable target than Jones. Yet, Hill and Gio are still splitting carries pretty evenly, and Jones has had equal or more targets than Green in 4 of the last 5, and 5 of the 9 games so far this year. Just strikes me as odd. Granted, they are winning, so it apparently is working... but that doesn't change the fact that it seems like they artificially are limiting their best players.

With him facing Patterson next week, I'm thinking of benching for Watkins. :wall:
I have the same concern.

Unfortunately the last bye week limits my option to Diggs, who is fading due to limited volume. I'm already starting LaFell, who is getting targets but inconsistent production, and JStew - both for the first time.

Feels like too much risk to bench AJ for the first time. Also feels foolish to keep rolling him out when his production doesn't warrant treating him like he's a nevah-bench-yer-studs guy. He clearly isn't.

Does everybody just keep rolling him out every week regardless of matchup? He has underperformed his ranking/projection 8 out of 10 weeks.

80% of the time! Up against a Rams defense that is 29th in FFPA. Haven't allowed a WR to gain more than 50 yards since Week 5.

Benching for Travis Benjamin at WR3, and Diggs in the Flex.

Does everybody just keep rolling him out every week regardless of matchup? He has underperformed his ranking/projection 8 out of 10 weeks.

80% of the time! Up against a Rams defense that is 29th in FFPA. Haven't allowed a WR to gain more than 50 yards since Week 5.

I'm guessing it depends on who you have in your lineup but IMO Green needs to be in your lineup every week. The guy is a elite receiver, but the CIN game plan isn't based on him which isn't his fault. By years end he will end up in the top 10 WRs I have complete confidence.

I'm guessing it depends on who you have in your lineup but IMO Green needs to be in your lineup every week. The guy is a elite receiver, but the CIN game plan isn't based on him which isn't his fault. By years end he will end up in the top 10 WRs I have complete confidence.
Wow, really going out on a limb there, guy. He's WR10 now.

I have a hard time sitting him. My options are pretty strong but the last 3-4 weeks Diggs, Crabtree and Green have all been pretty disappoint...er, equal.

Wow, really going out on a limb there, guy. He's WR10 now.
LOL

I have a hard time sitting him. My options are pretty strong but the last 3-4 weeks Diggs, Crabtree and Green have all been pretty disappoint...er, equal.
Yeah, and if you're fighting for a playoff spot or bye, tough time to sit him. I have red matchups all over my roster, including 5 out of 6 WRs.

Users who are viewing this thread