What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Surge" (the soda) is a back. (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this stuff. Absolutely awful. It tore apart my stomach back when I was 16 and my stomach could handle almost anything.

I'm guessing the "Surge Movement" folks are a militia group that figured out a way to make chemical weapons out of Surge. That makes more sense than a large number of people wanting to drink it.

I remember it. But I don't think I every drank/tried it. I just wish Mellow Yellow was available at more places. I saw a MY vending machine down at the Shore and was so pissed I didn't have any singles on me. :angry:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-09-15/coca-cola-brings-back-surge-soda-to-tap-1990s-nostalgia

I don't really drink soda anymore, but this is nice work here by the "Surge Movement" fan group. Fans dropped $4,000 on a billboard near Coke HQ that said "Dear Coke, We couldn’t buy Surge so we bought this billboard instead"
Now if this would only happen with Bud Dry!!
You can still get it in St. Louis last I checked.

Coke couldn't make a dent in Dew sales with it the first time, and Mello Yello had already failed for years...no reason to bring this back other than for nostalgia sake.

This was big when I was a kid. For some reason Dew, Mellow Yellow, Surge and Squirt were bigger in Minnesota. I guess we liked gut-busting acidic citrus beverages.

Wished someone would do this for "Bar None" candy bar.

There has never been a better candy bar, bar none!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-09-15/coca-cola-brings-back-surge-soda-to-tap-1990s-nostalgia

I don't really drink soda anymore, but this is nice work here by the "Surge Movement" fan group. Fans dropped $4,000 on a billboard near Coke HQ that said "Dear Coke, We couldn’t buy Surge so we bought this billboard instead"
Now if this would only happen with Bud Dry!!
You can still get it in St. Louis last I checked.
:no:

"Retired" as of 2010... At least according to the innernets...

Now I see people are trying to revive Crystal Pepsi. I take it those people don't recall how ####ty it was.

sports_fan said:
what really needs to come back are those planters cheeze ball things. the imitators just aren't the same
:goodposting:

I would kill a unicorn just to lick the cheese residue from Abe Vigodas fingers

Coke couldn't make a dent in Dew sales with it the first time, and Mello Yello had already failed for years...no reason to bring this back other than for nostalgia sake.
This is how I remember it... Coke's version of Mountain Dew- is that right?

Was this like an energy drink just too early for its time?
The History of SURGE Soda - What Really Happened?
December 18, 2012 at 1:32am
SURGE was officially introduced in February of 1997, the first advertisement airing during the SuperBowl. Coke stocks were on a steady incline at the time and couldn't help but continue to rise with the success of SURGE.

In April of 1998, Sergio Zyman, the head of Coca-Cola's marketing department resigned from his post and the reigns were handed over to Charles S. Frenette, a man generally seen as having the complete opposite approach to marketing.

The very next month following this change, Coke's stocks reached their peak and began to plummet. At the same time, SURGE began to see a sharp decrease in sales that continued until its discontinuation in 2002.

The marketing "changing of the guard" definitely dealt a significant blow to the SURGE brand. However, advertising styles and organizational structures weren't the only problem. Another major factor was a growing notion of SURGE's supposed adverse effects among parents and teachers of the teen demographic, probably the largest slice of the SURGE consumer pie.

Rumors of high caffeine and sugar levels began to spread so rampantly that it actually hit news/media as early as August, 1997, SURGE's debut year. Schools began to ban the soda from vending machines and parents stopped buying SURGE for their children. In fact, some schools had banned SURGE as early as April of that year, just two months after its release.

Of course, we know that SURGE actually had less caffeine than Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew had 4.625 milligrams of caffeine per ounce while SURGE had 4.375. Those numbers don't look that different at face value but at 12 ounces, a standard can, they change to 55.5 vs 52.5. At 20oz, they become 92.5 and 87.5. It may also be worth noting that 12oz of coffee contains somewhere around 300mg.

Now, ten years later, we're fighting to get SURGE back! Most of us are those same people whose beverage choices were held at the mercy of parents and teachers. We no longer have that obstacle. We buy what we want and we want SURGE!

That just leaves marketing. So the question, now, is: how will 'WE' ensure SURGE isn't failed by Coke's advertising department? How will 'WE' keep the name alive until it's as ubiquitous as the name Coca-Cola itself? What can 'WE' do to make sure SURGE is successful for the long haul?

Well, I guess we'll have to see about that.

That's the way I'd always thought of it, but the sugar and caffeine are in line with other sodas, not today's energy drinks.

The only thing it really has in common with today's energy drinks is ridiculous design that looks like it belongs on a Tap Out shirt or a Wal-Mart wolf T-Shirt.

I believe the proper brand for that is Jolt, which apparently did change it's name to Jolt Energy in '09.

The History of SURGE Soda - What Really Happened?
December 18, 2012 at 1:32am
SURGE was officially introduced in February of 1997, the first advertisement airing during the SuperBowl. Coke stocks were on a steady incline at the time and couldn't help but continue to rise with the success of SURGE.

In April of 1998, Sergio Zyman, the head of Coca-Cola's marketing department resigned from his post and the reigns were handed over to Charles S. Frenette, a man generally seen as having the complete opposite approach to marketing.

The very next month following this change, Coke's stocks reached their peak and began to plummet. At the same time, SURGE began to see a sharp decrease in sales that continued until its discontinuation in 2002.

The marketing "changing of the guard" definitely dealt a significant blow to the SURGE brand. However, advertising styles and organizational structures weren't the only problem. Another major factor was a growing notion of SURGE's supposed adverse effects among parents and teachers of the teen demographic, probably the largest slice of the SURGE consumer pie.

Rumors of high caffeine and sugar levels began to spread so rampantly that it actually hit news/media as early as August, 1997, SURGE's debut year. Schools began to ban the soda from vending machines and parents stopped buying SURGE for their children. In fact, some schools had banned SURGE as early as April of that year, just two months after its release.

Of course, we know that SURGE actually had less caffeine than Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew had 4.625 milligrams of caffeine per ounce while SURGE had 4.375. Those numbers don't look that different at face value but at 12 ounces, a standard can, they change to 55.5 vs 52.5. At 20oz, they become 92.5 and 87.5. It may also be worth noting that 12oz of coffee contains somewhere around 300mg.

Now, ten years later, we're fighting to get SURGE back! Most of us are those same people whose beverage choices were held at the mercy of parents and teachers. We no longer have that obstacle. We buy what we want and we want SURGE!

That just leaves marketing. So the question, now, is: how will 'WE' ensure SURGE isn't failed by Coke's advertising department? How will 'WE' keep the name alive until it's as ubiquitous as the name Coca-Cola itself? What can 'WE' do to make sure SURGE is successful for the long haul?

Well, I guess we'll have to see about that.
Surge really got a raw deal.

That's the way I'd always thought of it, but the sugar and caffeine are in line with other sodas, not today's energy drinks.

The only thing it really has in common with today's energy drinks is ridiculous design that looks like it belongs on a Tap Out shirt or a Wal-Mart wolf T-Shirt.

I believe the proper brand for that is Jolt, which apparently did change it's name to Jolt Energy in '09.
Tap Out, that was great haha.

rumor on the playground was that drinking SURGE would make your balls shrink. I have no idea how we got that idea, but boy we ran with it.

This is how I remember it... Coke's version of Mountain Dew- is that right?
Yup. Both were made to compete with Dew. I heard Mello Yello's code name before its release was KMD, for Kill Mt Dew.

:lol: At some of the reviews:

My brother has been in a coma for 12 years. I whispered into his ear that they were bringing Surge back and he shot straight up, did a backflip out of bed and roundhouse kicked a nurse.

The miracle is real. SUUUUUUURRRRRGGGGGEEEEE!
My wife told me that she would leave me if I spent our retirement fund on Surge. Silly wife, how else did you think I was going to fit 3 pallets of Surge in our bedroom?!
:lmao:

mr roboto said:
This was big when I was a kid. For some reason Dew, Mellow Yellow, Surge and Squirt were bigger in Minnesota. I guess we liked gut-busting acidic citrus beverages.
I use to mix squirt and grape soda together to get sour grape. One soda I really miss is Graf's 50/50 which was bought by Canfields awhile back. Only place you could get this was in the northern states.

Users who are viewing this thread