What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (1 Viewer)

@MikeGarafolo: Read arbitrator's findings on Peterson. He agrees w/ NFL's assertion Goodell decides when a player comes off the commish exempt list.
Pretty much guarantees no player will ever agree to go on the exempt list again. :bye:
I simply cannot see how the NFL survives a lawsuit on this.
"The Collective Bargaining Agreement gives us the right to do whatever we want." /dropsmic
"Drops mic" :lmao:

@MikeGarafolo: Read arbitrator's findings on Peterson. He agrees w/ NFL's assertion Goodell decides when a player comes off the commish exempt list.
Pretty much guarantees no player will ever agree to go on the exempt list again. :bye:
I simply cannot see how the NFL survives a lawsuit on this.
"The Collective Bargaining Agreement gives us the right to do whatever we want." /dropsmic
"Drops mic" :lmao:
Oh no Snogger, we'd never put you on the Commissioner's Exempt List, that's far too serious for an infraction like yours. We just want to put you on the Temporary Exclusion List to give you time to deal with this important issue. It's specifically meant for far less serious issues like yours, that's why it has Temporary in the name. Now if you could just sign your name right here ...

Arbitrator Shyam Das ruled Tuesday that the NFL can keep Peterson on the exempt-commissioner’s permission list pending his appeal of his suspension announced by the league earlier in the day, according to a person familiar with the case.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/11/18/adrian-peterson-could-return-this-weekend-to-vikings-or-not-for-a-long-time/

There's the arbitrator's name. Conspiracy nuts can now go to town digging up "the real story" on Shyam Das.

Arbitrator Shyam Das ruled Tuesday that the NFL can keep Peterson on the exempt-commissioners permission list pending his appeal of his suspension announced by the league earlier in the day, according to a person familiar with the case.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/11/18/adrian-peterson-could-return-this-weekend-to-vikings-or-not-for-a-long-time/

There's the arbitrator's name. Conspiracy nuts can now go to town digging up "the real story" on Shyam Das.
So there's still a chance he plays this year?

Arbitrator Shyam Das ruled Tuesday that the NFL can keep Peterson on the exempt-commissioner’s permission list pending his appeal of his suspension announced by the league earlier in the day, according to a person familiar with the case.

Already lost his job once, not going to make that mistake again.

Das is a highly acclaimed arbitrator, well regarded among other arbitrators and even by people on baseball’s management side. But he committed the deadly sin of ruling against Major League Baseball in a major grievance, Ryan Braun’s appeal of his 50-game suspension for a positive P.E.D. test.

Last edited by a moderator:

That his name spelled backwards is Sad Mayhs? What's a mayh?

That his name spelled backwards is Sad Mayhs? What's a mayh?
My has sad.

You mean where he was a MLB arbitrator for more than a decade, ruled against the league in the Braun steroid arbitration and, many people suspect that ultimately cost him his job? The conspiracy theory being that he's learned his lesson on ruling against his employer? That one?

So as expected, PR is their motivation. They want to keep Peterson off the field until next year when things have blown over more.

In making it 6 games after listing multiple things that their policy said were supposed to justify a longer punishment, seemed like the NFL once again showed a lack of consistency in these things.

I have mostly just skimmed the last few pages but caught the post that said time on the CEL was taken into consideration (as to why it wasn't longer), though haven't myself seen any articles yet. If so... eh, if so that should have been mentioned in the notification to Peterson, I think. If it was then mea culpa, but what I saw come through email didn't mention it.

I don't have much doubt they were aiming at 6 games for the PR reasons of pushing his return to next year... and will do whatever it takes to make it that. NFL had a chance here to begin to turn the course of relations with the players. But they just botched it further.
Except it will bring it all back up again next season when he returns to camp. If they handled it this year, the outrage would have worked itself out and be over.

You mean where he was a MLB arbitrator for more than a decade, ruled against the league in the Braun steroid arbitration and, many people suspect that ultimately cost him his job? The conspiracy theory being that he's learned his lesson on ruling against his employer? That one?
:goodposting:

How does this Kangaroo Court not survive scrutiny? Has no one has ever challenged it before?

I believe an arbitrator is employed by both sides. Both MLB and the players union had to agree to his appointment and both have the power to dismiss him.

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same in the NFL, believe I saw the language for it when researching the Josh Gordon appeal in preseason. So if you're saying that's the lesson he learned before, he didn't learn it well because he ruled against the NFLPA who are every bit as much his employer as MLB was.

its ovar!!

don't understand how since everything we have read says the NFL is breaking a written agreement but none the less ADP must wait till 2015 to play.

I believe an arbitrator is employed by both sides. Both MLB and the players union had to agree to his appointment and both have the power to dismiss him.

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same in the NFL, believe I saw the language for it when researching the Josh Gordon appeal in preseason. So if you're saying that's the lesson he learned before, he didn't learn it well because he ruled against the NFLPA who are every bit as much his employer as MLB was.
Dont bring facts to this Goodell witch hunt.

The NFLPA screwed this up when they decided less practice time, hitting, and $$$ was more important than negotiating the off field disciplinary powers that Goodell had. Then they advise AP to not attend a preliminary meeting on Friday because it was not required in the CBA. Just listened to a sports attorney that has attended several of these preliminary meetings that he said were common on suspension issues. But the NFLPA decided this was the case to try to take down Goodell. I think behind the scene this has more to do with M Smith trying to save his job.

This could be what the Vikings ended up wanting.
anyone with a clue in that organization no doubt hoped for this, if only to protect it from itself. they are lucky, in a sense, that now they arent able to embarrass themselves by putting this scumbag back on the field to represent their organization.

AD gonna just file for the TRO/injunction vs the NFL and he'll be allowed to play until that is settled. At least that's what I am hoping for to get me through week 14-16

NFL representitives reiterating this morning that AP placed himself on the CEL voluntarily and that his paid leave was in no way communicated as a punishment. Seems someone is full of poop here. So he can place himself on the CEL voluntarily but he can't remove himself voluntarily? Interesting how that system works.

I have a silly question.

What was the "Rea" of "Child Rea" going to be? I'm assuming it was a word that got cut short, but I've stared at this thread for weeks now and seriously have no idea.
Rear-end slapping.

NFL representitives reiterating this morning that AP placed himself on the CEL voluntarily and that his paid leave was in no way communicated as a punishment. Seems someone is full of poop here. So he can place himself on the CEL voluntarily but he can't remove himself voluntarily? Interesting how that system works.
As I said.. There is no way in hell another player will voluntarily put himself on that list now that the arbitrator ruled you can be placed on their indefinitely based on what the Commissioner wants to do..

Going to make it interesting what they do when the next player is accused with abuse.. Do you suspend him for 6 games now.. Do you let him play until his case is heard in court and then suspend him??

Goddell basically threw this bargaining chip out the door with his handling of it. :bye:

This has all been covered before. He can't place himself on the CEL, only the commissioner can do that, but the player has to consent to it.

Some useful information on the exempt list:

The Minnesota Vikings took advantage of a rarely-used NFL protocol Wednesday, placing Adrian Peterson on the exempt/commissioner's permission list while the running back goes through the legal process after being indicted for child abuse last week. The list, used to allow players who are dealing with significant off-field situations, will allow the Vikings to remove Peterson from their 53-man roster.

Peterson will be barred from all team activities in the meantime, which sounds like a suspension except that Peterson will be paid during his leave. The decision whether to pay the player falls on the team. Players placed on the exempt list can be held with or without pay at the team's discretion.

Players must consent before being placed on the list, allowing the NFL Players Association to call Peterson's placement a "voluntary leave with pay."

As the name of the list suggests, players can only be placed on the exempt/commissioner's permission list with clearance from Roger Goodell. From the NFL Player Personnel Policy Manual:

The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List.
As the policy states, players are also removed from the list at the commissioner's discretion. In Peterson's case, he is expected to remain on the list until a resolution has been reached in his child abuse case.

The exempt list allows teams to get around the maximum four-game suspension or deactivation allowed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement for conduct detrimental to the team. In Peterson's case, legal proceedings are expected to extend past the next month.

Notably, Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy may also soon join Peterson on the exempt list. Hardy was convicted in July of assaulting and threatening an ex-girlfriend, but has appealed the decision. As the Vikings did with Peterson, the Panthers decided not to suspend Hardy as he goes through due process. The exempt list, again, would allow the team to get around the four-game maximum penalty for detrimental conduct.

The exempt/commissioner's permission list was used perhaps most notably in the past on Michael Vick when the quarterback finished serving his jail sentence and suspension in 2009 for his participation in a dogfighting ring. The list has been used in less dubious circumstances, however. For example, Jeff Demps was placed on the list in 2013 while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back was trying to make the U.S. Olympic track team.

anyone with a clue in that organization no doubt hoped for this, if only to protect it from itself. they are lucky, in a sense, that now they arent able to embarrass themselves by putting this scumbag back on the field to represent their organization.
:lmao: seriously??? I'm sure the Steelers aren't upset with their Scumbag LeVonn Bell who was arrested for DUI and weed and yes they should be looked at as the same level of punishment. A drunk driver behind the wheel of a car is a danger to everyone else.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

:lmao: seriously??? I'm sure the Steelers aren't upset with their Scumbag LeVonn Bell who was arrested for DUI and weed and yes they should be looked at as the same level of punishment. A drunk driver behind the wheel of a car is a danger to everyone else.

Driving while high is at least better than driving while drunk. And, he didn't know it was illegal!! He used the old Dave Chappelle argument, "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that."

The NFL has suspended Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson for at least the remainder of the 2014 season under the leagues personal conduct policy. The suspension reflects Petersons no contest plea on Nov. 4 in Texas to the misdemeanor offense of reckless assault. The suspension also reflects public reports that graphically depict injuries purportedly suffered by Petersons 4-year-old son at the hands of Peterson and his tree branch used for discipline.

Peterson has missed the last nine games, with pay, while on the NFL's Exempt Commissioner Permission List ("exempt list"). On Tuesday, neutral arbitrator Shyam Das ruled that the NFL can keep Peterson on the exempt list. Peterson is now expected to appeal his suspension under the personal conduct policy. The NFLPA is actively advocating for Petersons interests in his appeals.

The following are the key legal issues for Peterson and the NFL going forward.

The NFLPAs demand for a third-party arbitrator is not clearly warranted

The NFLPA demands that a neutral third-party arbitrator hear Petersons appeal of his personal conduct policy suspension, rather than commissioner Roger Goodell. The commissioner allowed for an arbitrator in Ray Rices appeal, which was recently heard by former U.S. District Judge Barbara Jones.

In response, expect the NFL to portray appeals by Rice and Peterson as apples and oranges. Unlike with Petersons appeal, Goodells own conduct is a central issue in Rices appeal. Rice charges that Goodell punished him twice for conduct Goodell was already aware of the first time Rice was suspended. Goodell has also admitted to making mistakes in how he handled the Rice matter. With Peterson, in contrast, there is no allegation of a "cover-up," just as there are no rumors of mysterious voice mails and lost videos. Petersons case concerns the legal and reputational consequences of his parenting.

Also, the NFL is not contractually obligated to provide Peterson with a third-party arbitrator merely because it provided one to Rice. Goodell, moreover, is unlikely to relinquish authority this time around for fear that other players and the NFLPA would then insist there is established precedent for third-party arbitration.

Peterson must exhaust his internal NFL appeals before commencing legal action

There is widespread speculation that Peterson will sue the NFL, perhaps as soon as this week. Do not expect him to do so until he has exhausted all of the internal appeals available to him under the NFLs collective bargaining agreement. Courts generally dismiss legal claims when the plaintiff has not yet exhausted internal appeals. The basic logic is that courts should be the last resort to resolve disputes. Additionally, the factual record necessary for judges to fully understand a dispute is usually not complete until all of the internal appeals have been heard.

Under Article 46 of the CBA, Peterson has an opportunity to internally appeal his suspension, albeit to the same person who issued it: Goodell. The obvious conflict of interest of Goodell reviewing his own decisions is lawful since the CBA allows this. While many players and agents object to Goodell serving as his own appellate court, the NFLPA has assented to this arrangement.

It is possible that the NFL will voluntarily change its system for reviewing off-field conduct. As part of the leagues review of the Rice matter, the league plans on forming an advisory committee that will review policies and procedures for disciplining players. It is unclear when the committee will meet or issue recommendations, and any implemented changes would likely have no impact on Petersons appeal.

If Peterson's NFL appeal fails, he could petition a court for temporary restraining order

Assuming, as expected, Peterson appeals his season-ending suspension to Goodell and Goodell sustains the suspension, Peterson could turn to the courts.

As Peterson and his attorneys contemplate a legal strategy, they would keep in mind Petersons primary goal: to play again in the 2014 season. Filing a lawsuit and commencing the litigation process would not help him accomplish that goal. A lawsuit would take months, if not years, to litigate, while the Vikings regular season will end on Dec. 28, 2014. The 4-6 Vikings are also in fourth place in the NFC North and seem unlikely to extend their season into the playoffs. The fact that Peterson is a star and the fact that the public and media would be more interested in his lawsuit than most lawsuits are irrelevant in regards to court timing. The litigation process moves at its own speed and does not accelerate for celebrities.

Instead of filing a lawsuit, Peterson could petition a federal judge for a temporary restraining order. This petition could occur as soon as Goodell decides on an appeal. If a temporary restraining order were granted, the order would likely last several weeks. The order would not expire until the judge held a hearing on a motion for a preliminary injunction, a similar but more lasting form of injunctive relief.

Petersons odds for obtaining a temporary restraining order would be very low, but not zero. These orders are considered extraordinary forms of relief, and judges are often reluctant to grant them. Plus, even if a temporary restraining order is granted, it would likely be limited to his suspension, not his placement on the exempt list. As a result, a temporary restraining order would get Peterson paid but probably not get him back on the field.

The legal significance of Peterson showing he will suffer "irreparable harm"

In order to obtain a temporary restraining order, Peterson would need to convince a judge that unless he is allowed to play again this season, he would suffer irreparable harm. Peterson arguing that his NFL suspension will cost him money in lost salary would not be a winning argument for purposes of irreparable harm. Courts are generally skeptical of irreparable harm arguments when monetary damages can later repair the harm. As a result, Peterson would need to establish harm beyond merely lost salary. He would likely insist that not playing again this season would cause lasting and permanent damage to his NFL career and image. More specifically, he might insist that his football skills and physical abilities would atrophy if he doesnt play again. Similarly, Peterson might assert that the Vikings and other teams would be less interested in his services if he misses nearly an entire season.

The NFL would reject these so-called "harms" as speculative at best. The league would also stress that Petersons predicament is a result of his own misconduct as a parent.

Has the NFL harmed Peterson through the exempt list?

A judge would also demand a convincing argument from Peterson that his NFL suspension is arbitrary and unwarranted.

As a starting point, Peterson would insist that he has already been suspended for nine games through his placement on the exempt list. Peterson has been paid in full while on this list but was unable to play or practice. In other professions, this type of paid separation from employment is often called administrative leave. The exempt list is controlled entirely by Goodell. Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy, who seeks a jury trial to review a judge finding him guilty of domestic violence, is also on this list.

To advance his argument that placement on the exempt list is akin to a suspension, Peterson might highlight how the exempt list is not described in the CBA but is instead contained in a less authoritative document: the NFL Player Personnel Policy Manual. It is not clear that the manual, which is not publicly available, was subject to collective bargaining with the NFLPA. For its part, the CBA only mentions the exempt list in passing and in regards to financial calculation of accrued seasons. Peterson would implore a judge that the absence of clear protocols for the exempt list in the CBA renders it an unfair disciplinary tool for the NFL.

The NFL would be well-positioned to rebut Petersons exempt list argument. For one, while the exempt list is not explained in the CBA, it is referenced in the CBA, and terms agreed to by a league and players association outside of the CBA are usually incorporated by reference into the CBA. Second, the NFL would stress that the commissioner has complete discretion in regards to the exempt list. Third, the league would reject classification of the exempt list as a form of suspension for the very simple reason that Peterson was paid and received other employment benefits while on the list prior to his suspension.

Is the NFL's punishment of Peterson "excessive"?

Petersons representatives and the NFLPA have portrayed the NFL as acting outside the CBA with respect to disciplining Peterson. For instance, they object to a request made by the NFL that Peterson meet with Goodell last Friday as inconsistent with normal procedure for discipline. They are also expected to contend that Petersons suspension for the remainder of the 2014 season -- a total of six games -- plus any Vikings playoff games and potentially regular season games in 2015 -- is grossly excessive and arbitrary.

In any legal case, Peterson would surely cite lower disciplinary punishments by Goodell for other players who, like Peterson, pleaded no contest to misdemeanors. For instance, Goodell suspended Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson for only three games (later lowered to one game) after Benson reached a plea deal with prosecutors over misdemeanor assaults in 2011. Bensons misconduct was arguably "worse" in the eyes of the Texas criminal justice system, as Benson received a 20-day jail sentence, whereas Peterson received no jail time. Yet Goodell has suspended Peterson at least twice as long as he suspended Benson.

The challenge for Peterson and the NFLPA is that Goodell has total discretion in determining suspensions under the personal conduct policy. Goodell can be inconsistent and seemingly unfair and yet act in accordance with the policy agreed to by players. While many legal commentators (including myself) believe that the NFL commissioner should have more independent checks on his disciplinary authority, the fact is those checks do not currently exist. The NFLPA has failed to obtain checks through collective bargaining.

Also, Goodell can make an effective argument that his suspension of Peterson does not contradict his prior suspensions. Petersons misconduct is unlike the misconduct of other NFL players, who have gotten into trouble for hurting adults (or, in the case of Michael Vick, hurting dogs) but not hurting children. Along those lines, Peterson was accused of using a tree branch to "whoop" a 4-year-old child over an argument about a video game. The child's apparent injuries were extensive, including in the ###### area. Petersons alleged conduct is thus arguably worse from a social and moral perspective and more damaging to the NFLs image.

In that same vein, notice how the NFLs statement explaining Petersons suspension repeatedly highlights the significance of Peterson allegedly hurting a child and precisely how he allegedly hurt the child. The NFLs choice of words was intentional, as the league wants to isolate Petersons misconduct as uniquely egregious among NFL players.

Lastly, while Peterson might emphasize that he pleaded no contest -- meaning he did not admit guilt to the allegations -- as evidence that Goodells punishment is excessive, Goodell isnt obligated to rely on a conviction or guilty plea in enforcing the personal conduct policy. The policy explicitly states that the commissioner can rely on a plea of no contest in punishing a player.

Questionable relevance of new domestic violence policy

It was somewhat surprising to see the NFL cite the leagues new domestic violence policy in its statement explaining Petersons suspension. On one hand, the reference makes sense given that Petersons suspension for the remaining six games of the 2014 season matches Goodells edict in August that a first-time domestic violence offense warrants a six-game suspension. Peterson pleading no contest to a case that centered on Peterson hitting his own son also raises a matter of violence at home.

But in any legal challenge, watch for attorneys for Peterson and the NFLPA to stress that Goodells wording of the new domestic violence policy does not expressly cover violence against children. Goodells announcement of the domestic violence policy highlighted the following circumstances for its use: a prior incident before joining the NFL, or violence involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child. While children are referenced, it is in the context of a child witnessing domestic violence. Also, in the legal system, domestic violence is often defined to include acts of violence against an intimate partner, such as a spouse or significant other, but not against children. Usually, but not always, violence against children is described as child abuse, not domestic violence.

It would be difficult for Peterson to appeal an arbitration decision to a federal court

Also working against Peterson's legal case is the fact that federal courts are normally unwilling to review arbitration decisions. This is relevant to Peterson on two fronts.

Das sided with the NFL in keeping Peterson on the exempt list, a decision that may no longer seem as significant in light of Peterson's new suspension, but its still important. Peterson and the NFLPA would welcome a federal court intervening by reviewing Das decision. Peterson could then open the door for a court to more broadly review how the NFL has treated him. Unfortunately for Peterson, it would be extremely difficult for him to convince a federal court to review and vacate Das decision. The Federal Arbitration Act and other federal laws make it clear that courts should only vacate an arbitration award under extraordinary circumstances. Those circumstances include arbitration decisions that disregard basic principles of the law and are arbitrary. None of those circumstances are readily apparent in the Peterson matter. Das is a longtime and well-respected arbitrator and attorney. It is extremely unlikely a federal court would find that his decision warrants their review.

Second, whether Petersons appeal of his personal conduct policy suspension is heard by Goodell (most likely) or by a neutral arbitrator, it would constitute a form of arbitration and thus be subject to federal laws on judicial review of arbitration. A court would be unlikely to hear any appeal. Rarely has a court reviewed the NFLs discipline of players, with Jonathan Vilmas defamation lawsuit over his Bountygate suspension a unique exception. To that end, the NFL has avoided making public statements that could potentially trigger a defamation suit by Peterson. The league's statements about Petersons misconduct have been carefully prefaced by citing his no contest plea and by citing public reports about how he allegedly disciplined his son.

Bottom line: Peterson's legal options are limited and his best bet for returning to the NFL is to meet with Goodell and present a compelling case to be let back in.

Michael McCann is a Massachusetts attorney and the founding director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire School of Law. He is also the distinguished visiting Hall of Fame Professor of Law at Mississippi College School of Law.

The Federal Arbitration Act and other federal laws make it clear that courts should only vacate an arbitration award under extraordinary circumstances. Those circumstances include arbitration decisions that disregard basic principles of the law and are arbitrary. None of those circumstances are readily apparent in the Peterson matter.

It's called a bait and switch.

Driving while high is at least better than driving while drunk. And, he didn't know it was illegal!! He used the old Dave Chappelle argument, "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that."
Too bad he wasn't white.

If they tried to suspend him for a year, they would have lost.
Why? Goodell's policy specifically says that he can extend the suspension if circumstances warrant it. (And "circumstances" in this case is defined as "whatever Roger Goodell wants it to mean").
Or the lack of remorse (which Goodell pointed out in the letter) Peterson showed after he was caught. Ultimately that's what did him in.
Did Goodell ignore Peterson's press release like he ignored Rice's video tape?

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Adrian-Peterson/aabb41f8-1afe-4133-8b30-71390b6a3fbf

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that's what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.

The Federal Arbitration Act and other federal laws make it clear that courts should only vacate an arbitration award under extraordinary circumstances. Those circumstances include arbitration decisions that disregard basic principles of the law and are arbitrary. None of those circumstances are readily apparent in the Peterson matter.
:shrug:

Why? Goodell's policy specifically says that he can extend the suspension if circumstances warrant it. (And "circumstances" in this case is defined as "whatever Roger Goodell wants it to mean").
Or the lack of remorse (which Goodell pointed out in the letter) Peterson showed after he was caught. Ultimately that's what did him in.
Did Goodell ignore Peterson's press release like he ignored Rice's video tape?http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Adrian-Peterson/aabb41f8-1afe-4133-8b30-71390b6a3fbf

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that's what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.
Notwithstanding the fact that this statement was probably crafted mostly by Peterson's attorneys, I'm not even sure it supports your point anyway. I don't see a lot of remorse here.

On the other hand, if Peterson hadn't agreed to go on the Exempt List then Goodell might have suspended him for the entire season.
good luck with that.. I see no way, other then creating a new policy, that they could suspend a player for a year, when the new policy clearly states 6 games.. The Ray Rice decision may clarify that.. Then again, since he isn't on a team right now it is different then being suspended while on the payroll of a team..

Not to mention, we are back at the "When do you suspend him".. when he is charged, or when/if he is convicted.. and if you suspend him when charged, and the charges are dropped or he is found not guilty, then what :confused:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Adrian-Peterson/aabb41f8-1afe-4133-8b30-71390b6a3fbf

:goodposting: and something I pointed out before.... Goodell stated that part of his decision was how ADP reacted to being charged in the first place, but didn't take into account anything he said or did later.. seems Goodell said "No sign of remorse or thoughts to change" when the Bold part states the opposite.

The thing I don't get about a lot of this is, why didn't or doesn't Goodell realize that although the NFLPA didn't negotiate the exact implementation of discipline, it's really in his (as commish) best interest to have setup a disciplinary board of some sort. He's obviously (at this point) incapable of managing these issue satisfactorily; on both sides of issues.

He really needs to recognize what he can and should be doing, and then delegate everything else to qualified/appropriate people. Then only set the general direction/precedents and leave the rest to those at those positions.

Does someone have a link (tried goooogle ing it) to some of the things Peterson has said since that statement back in September? I thought there were several examples that completely contradict the September statement. Also, didn't he miss or refuse to complete the suggested counseling? The statement sounds like he was all in on the penance-path, but I know I've seen/heard his actions since have been something other than exemplary??

I see no way, other then creating a new policy, that they could suspend a player for a year, when the new policy clearly states 6 games.
Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.

On the other hand, if Peterson hadn't agreed to go on the Exempt List then Goodell might have suspended him for the entire season.
good luck with that.. I see no way, other then creating a new policy, that they could suspend a player for a year, when the new policy clearly states 6 games..
Actually, the new policy clearly states "six games, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant."

In fact, that's exactly what he did with Peterson -- he suspended him for 6 regular season games, plus all potential playoff games, plus all offseason activity through April 15th.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.Notwithstanding the fact that this statement was probably crafted mostly by Peterson's attorneys, I'm not even sure it supports your point anyway. I don't see a lot of remorse here.
From an attorney's pov--and from AP's pov--I'm not sure that it should show more remorse. It does show enough to suggest that he is reconsidering his actions but this whole situation gets into personal judgments--right or wrong--about the proper ways to raise a child. I am old enough to remember when being sent out for your own switch was commonplace. The concept "Spare the rod and spoil the child" goes back centuries and often in a religious context. Personally I have always avoided corporal punishment but growing up we had it administered by teachers and other authority figures as well as parents--it's well within traditional child rearing norms, though we tend to question those norms now.

Users who are viewing this thread