What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the next hot RB pickup? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
Who will be the next Knile Davis? I'm thinking Alfred Blue or Lance Dunbar. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anderson is my pick. I think Ball drops the ball. I also like A.Williams as the best handcuff

Beside hill out there.

CJ Anderson. Wish I had room for him on my roster right now, but with bye weeks looming next week I have to roster an extra qb and receiver.

Note that the last two starting running backs playing Seattle, left injured.

May have to dump Moreno and take a flyer on CJAnderson2K

CJ Anderson. Wish I had room for him on my roster right now, but with bye weeks looming next week I have to roster an extra qb and receiver.

Note that the last two starting running backs playing Seattle, left injured.

May have to dump Moreno and take a flyer on CJAnderson2K
CJAnderson2K??

Robert Turbin. Lynch is hurt, broke down, and more importantly pissed off. He's going to collect a check, or lead the league in yards and TD's.

Stepfan if dwyer is done. I just cant see ellington lasting all season. If ellington goes down instant rb2 on volume alone

Crowell is another one to add to the list if he hasn't already been stashed..

Said it before I'll say it again. Storm Johnson now that he's healthy.

I like the Blue and Damien Williams suggestions too.

Foster is on par for 440 carries and there's no way his body survives this workload. Alfred Blue will take over sooner than later.

CJ Anderson & Turbin.

Also Dunbar. There's 0% chance DeMarco Murray will hold up with the volume he's getting.

CJ Anderson & Turbin.

Also Dunbar. There's 0% chance DeMarco Murray will hold up with the volume he's getting.
It's gotta be one of Anderson, Turbin, or Dunbar.

Highest ceiling and most likely to be used has to be Turbin... Lynch is beaten up and Turbin is the clear feature back right now with Christine Michaels ailing. Dunbar is 200 lbs and not an early down back... he would split time with Randle. Anderson would split time with Hillman.

There were actually leagues where people dropped Turbin recently... I made a spot for him wherever he was available.

this pretty much boils down to what ever starting RB gets hurt.

In my re-draft leagues benches are short, so you cant really hold handcuffs
Unless its <6 spots you should make room. In 12-team leagues I almost never carry a 2nd QB/TE/DEF/K. I would much rather hold 4 spots for handcuff/upside RBs and two spots for upside late pick WRs. It's working wonders so far, as I've had Knile Davis and Bernard Pierce on most teams, over WR4/5s or backup QBs. Those two are paying massive dividends this weekend. Just traded Pierce for a major WR upgrade (Jeffrey+Pierce for Julio).

Basically I think you need to go upside on your bench instead of bye-week fillers.

Stepfan if dwyer is done. I just cant see ellington lasting all season. If ellington goes down instant rb2 on volume alone
I don't see even it if Ellington does go down.

I don't see them letting Taylor tote it 20x at a 3.0 ypc clip. He's as underwhelming talent at RB as you'll see in the NFL. I don't even think he'll get the volume. I'd expect Robert Hughes, Chris Rainey (if promoted from PS) or another yet to be signed back to steal touches. Bunch of subpar talents dividing up work. No thanks.

Unless its <6 spots you should make room. In 12-team leagues I almost never carry a 2nd QB/TE/DEF/K. I would much rather hold 4 spots for handcuff/upside RBs and two spots for upside late pick WRs. It's working wonders so far, as I've had Knile Davis and Bernard Pierce on most teams, over WR4/5s or backup QBs. Those two are paying massive dividends this weekend. Just traded Pierce for a major WR upgrade (Jeffrey+Pierce for Julio).

Basically I think you need to go upside on your bench instead of bye-week fillers.
I'm thinking about doing this to be honest, just to try something different, especially with all the injuries and a losing record. Dropping all of the bye week fillers (F-Jax, Vereen, Wayne, etc), and load up on 4 of the top RB handcuffs. Trying to deal these guys in trades is nearly impossible for some reason. However, this will cause a few league members to spend some FAAB dollars on acquiring them while potentially dropping more under-the-radar prospects into the pool of free agents. Looking at the stat sheet, some of these backup guys are getting enough garbage time points that almost rivals what the fillers are already producing.

I'm not sure who else to list or how you would rank them in terms of preference, but it looks like these are the guys to have so far include:

CJ Anderson

Alfred Blue

Jerick McKinnon

Damien Willams

Robert Turbin

Storm Johnson

Silas Redd

Lance Dunbar

Latavius Murray

I own Murray and Ellington, and I'm scared to death that either of them can make it through the season unscathed, but when I had an extra roster spot I picked up Blue over Dunbar or Taylor. It ultimately came down to this. Even if Dunbar or Taylor inherit their respective jobs, I'm still not sure they're startable over my backup RBs (Bradshaw/Woodhead). Blue, however, might be.

Ball will probably have a quiet game vs. Seattle, I imagine CJ Anderson should be rostered, before the questions get louder.

Well looking at the list of Fragile/injured/Iffy starters the following guys that I haven't seen mentioned come to mind...

Mike Tolbert

Mike James

Dan Herron

Blue due to a Foster injury or McKinnon due to more talent than Asiata are my guesses.
McKinnon is incredibly raw and I doubt his ability to read and pick up blitzes is reliable enough to warrant being a #1 RB.
I agree, I think McKinnon's ceiling this year is like a CJ Spiller role w Asiata playing the part of FJax.
I think this is a very good comparison usage wise, although FJax is obviously more gifted than Asiata.

Well looking at the list of Fragile/injured/Iffy starters the following guys that I haven't seen mentioned come to mind...

Mike Tolbert

Mike James

Dan Herron
Tolbert missed practice yesterday with a chest injury. Surprisingly Jonathan Stewart is the only healthy running back for the Panthers.

Blue due to a Foster injury or McKinnon due to more talent than Asiata are my guesses.
McKinnon is incredibly raw and I doubt his ability to read and pick up blitzes is reliable enough to warrant being a #1 RB.
I agree, I think McKinnon's ceiling this year is like a CJ Spiller role w Asiata playing the part of FJax.
I think this is a very good comparison usage wise, although FJax is obviously more gifted than Asiata.
You guys think McKinnon will get 15 touches/game?

Unless he is a prodigy in pass blocking I doubt that sincerely. Guy is very raw at the RB position.

Mike Tolbert

Mike James

Dan Herron
Tolbert missed practice yesterday with a chest injury. Surprisingly Jonathan Stewart is the only healthy running back for the Panthers.
I found it funny that amidst all RB injuries JStew and DMAC came out of their games unscathed last week.

Unless he is a prodigy in pass blocking I doubt that sincerely. Guy is very raw at the RB position.
When MIN goes down 2 scores vs. NO this week and Cassel has to air it out, who do you think we'll see on the field? McKinnon who whiffed on 1 of his 2 blocking assignments or Asiata who was perfect on all 11.

When MIN goes down 2 scores vs. NO this week and Cassel has to air it out, who do you think we'll see on the field? McKinnon who whiffed on 1 of his 2 blocking assignments or Asiata who was perfect on all 11.
Sample size to small to draw conclusions. Asiata graded out as one of the worst pass blocking RB's in the NFL last year in his limited time. I don't think we know enough yet about either of them as consistently good pass protectors.

Sample size to small to draw conclusions. Asiata graded out as one of the worst pass blocking RB's in the NFL last year in his limited time. I don't think we know enough yet about either of them as consistently good pass protectors.
I think the coaches do though.

Matt VenselVerified account@mattvensel
Matt Asiata received unsolicited praise in camp from the coaching staff, who seemingly trust him in all situations, including pass pro.

Damien Williams should be the immediate benefactor as Miami was already doing a timeshare and he should fill Moreno's role.

Turbin is the best speculation as Lynch has a history of back problems.

I still think Anderson won't surpass Ball unless he falls on his face for misreads/blown assignments. It was the same argument to get Moreno out of there last year when he wasn't avg. a high YPC.

Donald Brown (if available) should do well for at least 4 weeks while Mathews is out. SD offense has looked very efficient and they have a nice schedule with games against Jax and Oakland looming.

Anderson is my pick. I think Ball drops the ball. I also like A.Williams as the best handcuff

Beside hill out there.
Didn't Hillman beat out Anderson for the backup job in preseason then got nicked up?

Edited: I haven't been keeping up with Hillman lately, so what did he and Webster do to cause them to have to go to the ER and subsequently get demoted? It must have been bad.

Matt VenselVerified account@mattvensel
Matt Asiata received unsolicited praise in camp from the coaching staff, who seemingly trust him in all situations, including pass pro.
Sure but they've also said multiple times the plan was to bring McKinnon along as a third down/COP back and the fact remains while nice words are great Asiata was terrible in his limited pass blocking attempts last season and not very good in the preseason either, graded out worse than McKinnon. In all cases I believe the sample size is to small to rely on.

and then there's this...

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.
Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand. Asiata will have the first crack to get that hot hand as he'll almost certainly start the game, but we know this low-upside bulldozer with a career 3.56 YPC won't help the Adrian Peterson-less Vikings move the ball consistently. The freaky McKinnon could, but has to prove reliable and pass protect better (one sack allowed on three pass pro chances Week 2). Asiata remains the "safer" Week 3 fantasy flex play, but McKinnon is the better long-term hold.

Matt VenselVerified account@mattvenselhttps://twitter.com/mattvensel

Sure but they've also said multiple times the plan was to bring McKinnon along as a third down/COP back and the fact remains while nice words are great Asiata was terrible in his limited pass blocking attempts last season and not very good in the preseason either, graded out worse than McKinnon. In all cases I believe the sample size is to small to rely on.
From yahoo today:

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.Advice: Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand. Asiata will have the first crack to get that hot hand as he'll almost certainly start the game, but we know this low-upside bulldozer with a career 3.56 YPC won't help the Adrian Peterson-less Vikings move the ball consistently. The freaky McKinnon could, but has to prove reliable and pass protect better (one sack allowed on three pass pro chances Week 2). Asiata remains the "safer" Week 3 fantasy flex play, but McKinnon is the better long-term hold.
Sounds like they are willing to let McKinnon show what he's got a bit more

Beside hill out there.
Didn't Hillman beat out Anderson for the backup job in preseason then got nicked up?
he didn't get nicked up. Him and Webster did "something" in Houston for their preseason game and ended up in the hospital. They've yet to make it out of Fox's doghouse.

Uhhhhh...Asiata?

McKinnon saw ~20 snaps last week if I'm not mistaken. Saying they'll both see work is akin to Norv saying "We'll let more than one RB touch the ball again this week vs. NO." which is exactly what happened last week. I have no doubt that it's possible McKinnon starts to see more 1st and 2nd down work as we move forward but if MIN finds themselves down early vs. NO I just don't see them leaning on McKinnon in passing situations. They also have a tough upcoming schedule consisting of ATL, GB and DET, each of which have very potent offenses. I'm not delusional, Asiata will never get the "hot hand" (unless someone literally lights his hand on fire) but McKinnon expectations need to be kept in check as well. We watched Mendenhall hold back Ellington and BGE hold back Gio just last year and both are out of jobs this year. Although the aforementioned "plodders" might be more talented than Asiata, the RBs they were holding back were also a lot more polished than McKinnon, who never even lined up as a traditional RB in college. Expectations need to be kept in check for both.

McKinnon saw ~20 snaps last week if I'm not mistaken. Saying they'll both see work is akin to Norv saying "We'll let more than one RB touch the ball again this week vs. NO." which is exactly what happened last week. I have no doubt that it's possible McKinnon starts to see more 1st and 2nd down work as we move forward but if MIN finds themselves down early vs. NO I just don't see them leaning on McKinnon in passing situations. They also have a tough upcoming schedule consisting of ATL, GB and DET, each of which have very potent offenses. I'm not delusional, Asiata will never get the "hot hand" (unless someone literally lights his hand on fire) but McKinnon expectations need to be kept in check as well. We watched Mendenhall hold back Ellington and BGE hold back Gio just last year and both are out of jobs this year. Although the aforementioned "plodders" might be more talented than Asiata, the RBs they were holding back were also a lot more polished than McKinnon, who never even lined up as a traditional RB in college. Expectations need to be kept in check for both.
And what happens if McKinnon breaks of an 80 yarder?

From yahoo today:

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.Advice: Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand. Asiata will have the first crack to get that hot hand as he'll almost certainly start the game, but we know this low-upside bulldozer with a career 3.56 YPC won't help the Adrian Peterson-less Vikings move the ball consistently. The freaky McKinnon could, but has to prove reliable and pass protect better (one sack allowed on three pass pro chances Week 2). Asiata remains the "safer" Week 3 fantasy flex play, but McKinnon is the better long-term hold.
Sounds like they are willing to let McKinnon show what he's got a bit more
No RB gets all the snaps.

And the fact also remains that McKinnon is a converted college QB who has never had to read blitzing LBs & DBs and is learning on the fly. He may have freaky running ability but one of the most consistent truisms in football is that head coaches and offensive coordinators will play the running back they believe will make the fewest mistakes. Giving up sacks, which lead to turnovers and QB injuries is the cardinal sin for a RB. Every year people choose to ignore that because some RB or another runs real pretty in preseason or has freakish measurables.

McKinnon will see some time, there is no question about that, but until the team has more faith in him than Asiata to limit mistakes then Asiata will be the lead back. This will apply doubly when Bridgewater gets in there because there is no way they will want to risk their shiny new first round QB any more than is absolutely necessary.

It will probably look nice and garner him more 1st and 2nd down work? Trick question?

I'm sure Ellington and Gio broke off some nice runs last year.

The Vikings gain 80 yards (and possibly a TD) and Asiata is still the lead back.

Looks like Ellington's long of last year was in fact 80 yards haha. Mendenhall still touched the ball 230 times, running at 3.2 yards a clip and is now retired.

Users who are viewing this thread