What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (3 Viewers)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
McCoy was my top player heading into the season. So far 60 carries for 175 yards. Not good, no sir. He does have 10 receptions for an additional 64 yards as well. He's touching the ball plenty. So what has changed since last season? So what gives? Anything to be concerned with?

Sproles?

O Line?

Workload?

Injury?

Also really no liking that Week 16 Matchup - Redskins again, in their house.

I think he's been fine (though the concussion scare is something to keep on your radar), it's the patchwork OL he's running behind that should have you worried.

Yeah I thought I read that the line has really struggled. However the team is 3-0. The line must be doing something right.

Not concerned. While his stat lines have sucked, he's made more yards than anyone outside of ADP would with the blocking he's had. The Eagles O-line is in shambles to start the season but expect to get a couple of guys back soon. He might not finish as the top fantasy RB this year but barring injury he'll still be a top 5.

Definitley the OL more than anything. Eagles were down to there back up left tackle, left guard, center, had to move there right guard to right tackle. The line is an absolute mess.

Yeah I thought I read that the line has really struggled. However the team is 3-0. The line must be doing something right.
Oddly enough, they've been credible in pass blocking. They are unable to move anyone in the run game right now though.

Our oline had 4 backups in there by the 4th quarter thanks to the Peters ejection. Lane Johnson suspension combined with Mathis injury made us thin. Kelce going down yesterday is by far the biggest loss. Hopefully it's not long but it doesn't look good. They got down to their last linemen yesterday. One more injury and Brent Celek would have been playing guard.

So I'm sure its having an affect on the run game.

Maybe they should try a running play that is something other than handing him the ball while he is standing still and needing him to make a highlight reel play just to get back to the LOS.

Please tell me i am not he only one thinking this.

Maybe they should try a running play that is something other than handing him the ball while he is standing still and needing him to make a highlight reel play just to get back to the LOS.

That is just shady being shady. Most guys you tell them to hit the hole. He likes to make that cut back for the homerun. The means sometimes he takes that 3 yard loss though.

That is just shady being shady. Most guys you tell them to hit the hole. He likes to make that cut back for the homerun. The means sometimes he takes that 3 yard loss though.
He's trying to be Barry Sanders (and so far he's done a pretty good job) but he needs to start thinking about making one cut, finding a hole, and then run. The dancing shoes routine can be determint sometimes.

Home vs Sea Wk 14 as well. :unsure:
That's why you need the bye brother. I watched some of the game on RZ, and as previous posters stated, the OL was decimated. Can a homer give a breakdown of the injured suspended linemen and a projection on their return? (ie OG susp for drug policy - week 4). TIA.
Lane Johnson (RT) - Returning Week 5 from suspension

Todd Herremans (RG) - Not hurt, but getting a little old. Currently graded at -2.6 on PFF

Jason Kelce © - Left yesterday's game with an abdomen injury. Out 6-8 weeks

Dennis Kelly (LG) - Essentially 3rd-string, but looks like he will be the starter until at least game 8. They lost starter Evan Mathis to an MCL sprain and he is eligible to play on November 10, assuming he is healthy. (They also lost backup G Allen Barbre for the year). Kelly currently graded at -1.8. He will be adequate at best.

Jason Peters (LT) - Ejected from yesterday's game. Will return next week.

So absolute best-case scenario right now is the full line is intact for Games 9-16. Realistic best-case scenario is probably fully intact for games 11-16.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Herremans (RG) - Not hurt, but getting a little old. Currently graded at -2.6 on PFF

Jason Kelce © - Left yesterday's game with an abdomen injury. Current status unclear.

Dennis Kelly (LG) - Essentially 3rd-string but looks like he will be the starter for the rest of the year. They lost Evan Mathis and Allen Barbre for the year. Kelly currently graded at -1.8. He will be adequate at best.

Impressive they are 3-0 with that all happening.

Jason Kelce © - Left yesterday's game with an abdomen injury. Current status unclear.

Dennis Kelly (LG) - Essentially 3rd-string but looks like he will be the starter for the rest of the year. They lost Evan Mathis and Allen Barbre for the year. Kelly currently graded at -1.8. He will be adequate at best.

Impressive they are 3-0 with that all happening.
the TE was next in line yesterday if there were any other injuries

That's why you need the bye brother. I watched some of the game on RZ, and as previous posters stated, the OL was decimated. Can a homer give a breakdown of the injured suspended linemen and a projection on their return? (ie OG susp for drug policy - week 4). TIA.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Excellent post. Thank you
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Barbre is done for the year for sure but Mathis is eligible to come back after the Eagles bye in 4 weeks.

Most of the comments here are about the O-line, which is reasonable, but I'm also concerned about his injury.

On his first carry he got 1 yard. On his second he gained 9 yards and then was hit on the head and looked woozy.

The rest of the game he gained 12 yards on 17 carries. Now maybe this is just coincidence and the Redskins were going to bottle him up all day anyway, and that 9-yard run was a fluke. But the rest of the game, I couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't right.

Barbre is done for the year for sure but Mathis is eligible to come back after the Eagles bye in 4 weeks.
My bad, you are right. Though I don't know that it is likely that he will be back that soon.

edit: This says November 10. http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/9/9/6128309/evan-mathis-injury-eagles-place-all-pro-lineman-injured-reserve-designated-return

Most of the comments here are about the O-line, which is reasonable, but I'm also concerned about his injury.

On his first carry he got 1 yard. On his second he gained 9 yards and then was hit on the head and looked woozy.

The rest of the game he gained 12 yards on 17 carries. Now maybe this is just coincidence and the Redskins were going to bottle him up all day anyway, and that 9-yard run was a fluke. But the rest of the game, I couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't right.
I had some similar thoughts (there was a play where he took it toward the sideline and tried to cut up the field, but was about a yard out of bounds before he made the cut), however I really think it had more to do with the line play. Redskins seemed to be focused on stopping the run, which left a lot open down the field.

Considering Sproles did even less, I'm not that worried and am pretty confident it was a combo of bad O-Line and speedy WAS pass rush. I was rather surprised Shady came back in though, must have just been a big hit and not a concussion considering how strict the league is these days with head injury.

I'm a little concerned. I still think he finishes in the top 10. Top 5 I'm not sure. He's got ground to make up. He's capable of course of doing that. The line hasn't run blocked well and they will get guys back but how soon. The concerning part is that they've played 3 of the worst defenses in the NFL already and he's going to face stiffer completion moving forward. Also, Sproles having 17 targets in the passing game to his 13 is a bit of a concern.

Not panicking but yeah a bit concerned.

I'm a little concerned. I still think he finishes in the top 10. Top 5 I'm not sure. He's got ground to make up. He's capable of course of doing that. The line hasn't run blocked well and they will get guys back but how soon. The concerning part is that they've played 3 of the worst defenses in the NFL already and he's going to face stiffer completion moving forward. Also, Sproles having 17 targets in the passing game to his 13 is a bit of a concern.

With another offensive lineman out, I'm panicking. I'd trade him straight up for Lynch at this point if there were any takers.

Is anyone's concern to the point where they are considering trading him off his name value/top 3 pick?

Mathis was initially reported as having a grade 3 MCL injury, or a complete tear. 4-8 weeks was the initial prognosis, which I believe was reported around Sept 8th.

He should be back before the fantasy playoff stretch run, but going off the middle ground, he's still a month away from being back.

Lane has to step it up. He's gotta show he's the top level RT they brought him in to be. That said, he's always been a better pass blocker than run blocker.

Looks like a Packers injury report. This team was pretty darn healthy last year all things considered.

Maybe this is just the law of averages coming back to bite them.

Dennis Kelly (LG) - Essentially 3rd-string, but looks like he will be the starter until at least game 8. They lost starter Evan Mathis to an MCL sprain and he is eligible to play on November 10, assuming he is healthy. (They also lost backup G Allen Barbre for the year). Kelly currently graded at -1.8. He will be adequate at best.

So absolute best-case scenario right now is the full line is intact for Games 9-16. Realistic best-case scenario is probably fully intact for games 11-16.
So I read this as give it another week or two or three of bad stat lines and see if the McCoy owner has had enough and see if you can buy him low. At 49ers, then a surprisingly bad Rams defense, then Giants and then a bye. Even after the bye they are at the Cardinals, and even a game vs the Panthers in week 10.

This entire situation is all too familiar of the 2012 season. I'm going to try and trade now straight up for Lynch, bell, or Gio

I'm not worried about McCoy. Credit for yesterday's game to the Washington run defense. In weeks 1 and 2 McCoy put up numbers that justify his roster spot, even if they weren't the insane 200 yard rushing games we'd hoped for. He'll bounce back.

He averaged 19.6 carries, 4.0 targets and 3.3 receptions per game in 2013. He's averaging 20.0 carries, 4.3 targets and 3.3 receptions per game thus far this season. So he's on pace to meet or slightly exceed his 2013 touches as it stands right now.

So it isn't Sproles taking away touches. It's McCoy's productivity per touch. He's averaging 2.9 yards per carry and 6.4 yards per reception this year. In 2013 he averaged 5.1 yards per carry and 10.4 yards per reception. He also had 11 TD's last year, or a TD on 3% of his touches. This season he's scored once, or on 1.4% of his touches.

So far Philly is averaging 71.6 offensive plays per game compared to last year's average of 65.8 plays per game. So we have a few more pays per game with a slight uptick in touches for McCoy this year. I'd like to see him getting a full 2-3 more touches per game given that 5-6 play uptick, but considering he had over 300 carries and over 50 receptions last year, I don't think we can really be disappointed of the guy isn't dominating those extra 6 plays per game.

I think it's a focus on him as the most dangerous player the Eagles have with an inability to out block the defensive scheme. If you've watched him play, he's just as elusive as ever. But he's simply being bottled up more often than not.

But hey, would you rather own Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte or Adrian Peterson? Who else were you really thinking about with a top 3 pick?

Call me stupid. I can take it. I just offered Shady for Julio (he's desperate for RBs and I'm loaded there) straight up in a PPR league. I think the O-line problems are going to be too much to consistently overcome.

Call me stupid. I can take it. I just offered Shady for Julio (he's desperate for RBs and I'm loaded there) straight up in a PPR league. I think the O-line problems are going to be too much to consistently overcome.
I could see this in most formats. Not stupid at all

Im not too worried. They need to get him the ball in space. I didn't watch much of the game v. the skins, but what I saw reminded me of watching the falcons try to run the ball up the middle.

nastynate said:
Mathis was initially reported as having a grade 3 MCL injury, or a complete tear. 4-8 weeks was the initial prognosis, which I believe was reported around Sept 8th.

He should be back before the fantasy playoff stretch run, but going off the middle ground, he's still a month away from being back.
He's on IR/designated to return. Therefore he must miss at least 8 games.

Im not too worried. They need to get him the ball in space. I didn't watch much of the game v. the skins, but what I saw reminded me of watching the falcons try to run the ball up the middle.
I think the counterpoint to this is that the Eagles are 3-0. He may be frustrating fantasy owners but this isn't a classic under use or misuse scenario.

ahartig said:
This entire situation is all too familiar of the 2012 season. I'm going to try and trade now straight up for Lynch, bell, or Gio
I don't think you'll get those player. Maybe Gio.

With a shuffled line, sometimes you have a midseason burn-in that happens as well and they start to gel. I've seen the Packers do this. Shuffle shuffle shuffle but the weakness comes more from lack of playing together than it does from lack of individual skill. They might improve even without getting personnel help.

I have an offer of Lacy/Khiry on the table for McCoy. Thinking about taking it. This might be a little Assistant Coach but I wanted to let others know what kind of trades they are getting and/or accepting. I'm a little more inclined to take this one because I have McCoy in so many leagues and want to diversify, but I could definitely see people not taking it.

That offensive line is garbage run blocking right now and the Eagles don't exactly have a cake run schedule left. They had their two easiest run defenses in week 1 and 2. The rest of the year is average to poor matchups. I thought the Eagles had one of the best playoff run defense schedules but with Washington's ridiculous performance on Sunday that tanks that idea (they play them week 16).

Meanwhile Lacy played his three toughest matchups already.

Don't take it. Lacy has a much higher chance of being unseated by Sproles and has done just as poorly. Personally, I'd see that as a terrible trade.

The season is long, McCoy has lots of time (with an improved OL) to turn it around.

think this is it from left to right

Peters, Tobin, Molk, Kelly, Herremans.

opinions on tobin?

Users who are viewing this thread