What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (4 Viewers)

I was mocking that position as well, didn't mean to imply it was you.
To be fair,it it was some herpes symplex 10 kinda shiz it'd probably be tough to run effectively as well.

And hey, we can't completely discount the report because Marcus Vick apparently claimed that Shady gave his baby mama the herps.  And no, I'm not joking. I googled McCoy+Herpes and that came up from a few months ago.

So it's possible that the person here who posited that theory either is Marcus Vick, or that was his source. 

Football Guys - all the herpes news, all the time. :lol:  

How concerned are we? Jennings missed 3 games with a thumb sprain. I'm not sure if McCoy tore any ligaments but baseball players who tear that UCL in their thumbs miss two months. Granted they hold a bat so I could see the long timeframe. But McCoy is set for surgery. Supposedly he was in so much pain that it was difficult to put his thumb back in place. I'm no doctor but I find it hard to believe that he plays this week. We'll probably get more answers tomorrow. 

How concerned are we? Jennings missed 3 games with a thumb sprain. I'm not sure if McCoy tore any ligaments but baseball players who tear that UCL in their thumbs miss two months. Granted they hold a bat so I could see the long timeframe. But McCoy is set for surgery. Supposedly he was in so much pain that it was difficult to put his thumb back in place. I'm no doctor but I find it hard to believe that he plays this week. We'll probably get more answers tomorrow. 
I hadn't heard that it was a pain issue for McCoy. I saw a report that what can happen with a thumb dislocation is that the tendon gets trapped under the bone and the bone won't go back into place. So they do surgery to move the tendon and the bone oops right back in. 

With the team seeming to strongly believe he'll be good to go this week, I'm guessing the x-rays or whatever already lead them to believe that there's no damage there.

Pro Football Talk reports LeSean McCoy had surgery on his dislocated thumb Monday, but he is expected to play Week 12.
McCoy reportedly could have reentered the game against the Bengals, but the training staff was not able to relocate his thumb on the sideline or in the locker room. He will almost certainly sit out some practice time this week, but McCoy should be tentatively expected to play against the Jaguars. Mike Gillislee would get the nod if McCoy cannot go, and he likely will see a larger share of the snaps either way, especially if McCoy's ability to catch the ball is compromised.

This confuses me. I've had RBs who had hand injuries in the past - none came back the very next week.

McCoy'a needed surgery, yet the Bills expect him back next week?  :confused:

Silly question perhaps, but don't you need thumbs to carry the ball or catch the ball?

hes gonna be all better in 6 days after getting his thumb cut open and relocated? 

I think the Bills may be optimistic in their reporting. 

This confuses me. I've had RBs who had hand injuries in the past - none came back the very next week.

McCoy'a needed surgery, yet the Bills expect him back next week?  :confused:

Silly question perhaps, but don't you need thumbs to carry the ball or catch the ball?

hes gonna be all better in 6 days after getting his thumb cut open and relocated? 

I think the Bills may be optimistic in their reporting. 
Bramel already did a little write up on this. Says there are two joints in the thumb. The one connecting at the hand is more troublesome vs. the one in the middle of the thumb. Apparently, this injury is on the less troublesome joint.

Regardless, it seems silly to me that he would get a full workload if he plays, especially in the passing game (and especially since they have a capable Gillislee).

All that said, Ryan seems determined to continually make the wrong choice when it comes to McCoy.

All that said, Ryan seems determined to continually make the wrong choice when it comes to McCoy.
Well, they can maybe lose 1 game if they want to make the playoffs. And from the moment the game ended this news has been out there regarding McCoy being able to play next week. It sounded like they knew during the game what the issue was, but couldn't correct it at the time. You're assuming Rex rushed to judgment and said McCoy was playing before talking to the doctors. I mean, the procedure is already done, so that's pretty fast acting. Catching the ball might be troublesome, but holding onto the ball will probably be an issue too. 

If you foolishly relied on Shady, as I somehow talked myself into doing again this year, then you are toast. McCoy is a gutless fraud.

He was headed for a monster day against Cincy.  Ugh.  FWIW I think Robert Woods was in the midst of a breakout as well before going down.

If you foolishly relied on Shady, as I somehow talked myself into doing again this year, then you are toast. McCoy is a gutless fraud.
:lmao:

I don't know why but this made me laugh.

Anyway, I like how the title of this thread seems to be perpetually appropriate.

Nick VeronicaVerified account ‏@NickVeronica  5m5 minutes ago
Tyrod Taylor said LeSean McCoy (dislocated thumb) was able to catch passes Wednesday. "I'm expecting him to play."
Vic CarucciVerified account ‏@viccarucci  1h1 hour ago
#Bills QB Tyrod Taylor says LeSean McCoy (thumb) told him he's "full go" for Sunday's game vs #Jaguarshttps://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash.
Josh ReedVerified account ‏@4JoshReed  4h4 hours ago
#Bills LeSean McCoy looks like he's got the thumb taped outside the glove. Can't tell if there's a splint tho.
Nick VeronicaVerified account ‏@NickVeronica  4h4 hours ago
Rex Ryan says his biggest concern w/ LeSean McCoy is that his thumb doesn't get infected after surgery. Not usage though, which sounds good

That gutless fraud has helped lock me into the playoffs already. Maybe you drafted bad?
LOL, me too. I basically have the #1 seed and a bye locked up in the league I have McCoy. Basically = 2 game lead on everyone and the tie-breaker is points scored and I'm 10%+ ahead of the only guys who could tie me if they win 2 and I lose 2. I hope he sits and keeps getting the rest. I'm kind of glad I also have Murray and his week 13 bye to get some rest as well. McCoy and Murray have been much better than I expected after I went WR heavy and I wish I grabbed McCoy in the 2 other leagues I drafted Keenan Allen in.

I'm here to kiss and makeup with McCoy. :wub:  

Yes I complained when you left that game after you broke your fingernail, err thumb, and those other times when you pretended to have a hamstring injury but really had an STD, and for that time you gave me 2 points after I started you after you said that hammy was fine. Yes, like I fool I trusted you over and over and you hurt me, you hurt me bad, but ohhh did you deliver the past month capped off by helping me blow away the competition in the playoffs this week to the point that its over before the afternoon games even started ... you rose to the occasion in the playoffs this week! 

I complained and you listened, I murmured and you made amends. LeSean, I can't quit you. :blush:

At this point, I'd be happy with 70 yards and a TD AND no further injury.  Starting him with Jonathan Stewart this week.  

Shady has the type of schedule down the stretch after the bye that can single-handedly win you a championship;.    If you can trade for McCoy, I'd strongly suggest doing so.  Doesn't get much softer than this: for the NFL's most run-heavy offense:    

11  Sun Nov 20 1:00 pm  at Cincinnati Bengals 22nd vs. the run

12  Sun Nov 27 1:00 pm      Jacksonville Jaguars 27th vs. the run

13  Sun Dec 4 4:05 pm  at Oakland Raiders 28th vs. the run

14  Sun Dec 11 1:00 pm      Pittsburgh Steelers 16th vs. the run

15  Sun Dec 18 1:00 pm      Cleveland Browns 31st vs. the run

16  Sat Dec 24 1:00 pm      Miami Dolphins 30th vs. the run 
:D   :D :thumbup:

I hope you guys took the advice. 

Last edited by a moderator:
LeSean McCoy is excited about his potential role in the passing game under new OC Rick Dennison.

"That’s something I’ve been a part of, but it’s been a while since I’ve actually got the ball a lot in the air," McCoy said. "(Dennison is) big on that, you look at all the successful running backs that’s been in his offense, from Arian Foster who I’m a big fan of, he did it on the ground and in the air." McCoy caught 78 passes as a sophomore with the Eagles, but he has not topped 55 in a season since. While 78 is likely out of the question in what should be a run-heavy attack, McCoy is a good bet to top the 50/356/1 receiving line he put up last year, especially considering the thin depth chart at receiver. McCoy is a high-end RB1.

Source: Pro Football Talk 
May 29 - 10:37 AM

Shady should be the clear #4 FF RB after LeVeon, David Johnson and Zeke.   

Nagging injuries will drive his owners nuts, but he should be in for another big year.  And no Gilly to vulture TDs.  Will likely go in most standard drafts at 1.07  after Antonio Brown, OBJ and Julio.  

Last edited by a moderator:
coach Sean McDermott said the Bills will "manage" LeSean McCoy's reps during training camp and into the season.

McDermott seemed to be referring to McCoy's practice reps in an effort to keep him fresh this season. With the depth behind McCoy painfully thin and no guaranteed money left on his contract, it seems highly unlikely the Bills won't let McCoy be their workhorse this season.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter 

Jul 29 - 9:56 AM

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports, the Bills aren't entertaining offers for LeSean McCoy.

The Bills dealt two of their better players in Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby earlier this month, but according to Florio, Shady isn't going anywhere. Per Florio, the Bills have never entertained offers for McCoy and don't plan to. Even if the Bills were looking to free up cap space, trading McCoy would only save them about $1 million. The 29-year-old workhorse is a consensus top-five running back in all fantasy formats.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports 

Aug 22 - 5:50 PM

I'm hearing two different camps when it comes to McCoy.  The first camp says that the entire offense will revolve around him and he will be a three down back plus all the red zone/goal line work.    The other camp says the Bills are in rebuilding mode and they are going to want to see how the younger backs are and McCoy could be phased out as the year progresses.   Tough call on a guy who is going between 1.4 and 1.7.

It's hard to follow that line of thinking. If you are in rebuilding mode, you trade the guy and get draft picks or younger talent. You don't half-use a 29 year old running back and toss away any value you had with him. 

If you don't know what you have in those young guys by now, what were you doing all year and last?  Plus if you're in rebuild mode and you don't know  if you like what you have on the roster (arent sold on a young guy) then the answer is obvious: he's not on the team yet...Which makes even more sense to go get more draft picks. 

This sounds like a speculation topic of someone wanting to spin a what if (not you, just saying in general this sounds like someone played devil's advocate and it got picked up and ran with). 

In reality, just doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Speaking Thursday, LeSean McCoy said he's been assured by the Bills he's not on the trade block.

"I talked to (the Bills) and said that that’s not on the radar," McCoy insisted. "And that’s not in their plans." The Bills are pruning the team of any unnecessary finery or accoutrements as they embark on their latest rebuild, but Shady isn't going anywhere. He will be the engine of the offense, one who could catch more passes under new OC Rick Dennison.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

I'm hearing two different camps when it comes to McCoy.  The first camp says that the entire offense will revolve around him and he will be a three down back plus all the red zone/goal line work.    The other camp says the Bills are in rebuilding mode and they are going to want to see how the younger backs are and McCoy could be phased out as the year progresses.   Tough call on a guy who is going between 1.4 and 1.7.
Camp two is wrong.  He won't be traded this off season.  He's a 29 year old RB whose making 7+ million.  The Bills have an out after the 2018 season.  And not have to pay a 31 year old RB 7m.  Now I can easily see him banged up late in the year and them resting him.

LeSean McCoy rushed six times for seven yards in the Bills' third preseason game.

Shady "added" two receptions for -2 yards on three targets. Brutal numbers, but hardly McCoy's fault. The Bills' passing game was in disarray, both during Tyrod Taylor's (concussion) lone drive and after his departure. McCoy's summer ends with 10 carries for 28 yards and three catches. There are legitimate concerns on a team that doesn't appear to be playing for 2017, but McCoy remains a no-brainer top-five back.

Jonathan Williams is worth owning as a backup if you have room.
This

I think it behooves the McCoy owner to get Williams, too. I think there will be some weekly work for him with the potential for bigger stats/points if McCoy misses any time (which I would not bet against). Price is currently very low so its a good get, IMO.

Bloom dropped McCoy in his rankings to 2nd round.

I want somebody else to take him. I'm certainly not reaching for him.

Is there a backup worth owning in Buffalo?

Or do you just look elsewhere if something were to happen.
There are so many unknowns with the new coaching staff, Taylor's concussion and the dearth of talent at the skill positions.

McCoy has the ability to make chicken salad from chicken feathers but I am not sure we can say the same about any other RB on their roster. If McCoy gets hurt defenses are going to tighten up even more and I just don't see a lot of production coming from anyone other than McCoy.

So, yeah any true backup RB is probably worth considering but I would temper expectations.

Asked about LeSean McCoy's workload, coach Sean McDermott said the offense will feed McCoy "whatever it takes to win."

"If he has to play every snap, and he feels good, that's what we'll do," McDermott continued. Ace beat writer Joe Buscaglia came away from Wednesday morning's presser convinced McCoy "will get a big workload" against the Jets in Week 1. It further confirms the belief that the Bills will run McCoy as hard as they possibly can in his age-29 season. He's a high-end RB1 with big volume upside.
He may be on a very one dimensional offense but the guy is going to be fed until he inevitably gets hurt. 

Don't get me wrong McCoy in standard has a great chance to be top 5 RB either way. I just witnessed that to many times last year with McCoy and Gill.
I haven't check but I always thought historically Tolbert wasn't all that great of a GL back but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread