What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (1 Viewer)

Hairy Snowman said:
Depends.  They need O Linemen.  They could conceivably improve enough to make the playoffs. 
Man I have a hard time seeing how. I mean Allen’s gonna go through some growing pains and they’re not doing him any favors with possible the worst receiving core in the league and McCoys prob still good although who can really tell since he gets so few opportunities to do anything. 

LeSean McCoy (questionable, hamstring) will work out prior to Sunday's Week 15 game against the Lions.

McCoy is testing out his injured hamstring in preparation for Sunday's home game against Detroit, though according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, he "does not have a great chance" of suiting up. With Chris Ivory (shoulder) also a long shot to play, Marcus Murphy could wind up as the Bills' primary back in Week 15. Murphy is no one's idea of a sure thing, but at minimum price on FanDuel, you could do a lot worse.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 16 - 9:23 AM

Speaking at Monday's season-ending presser, Bills GM Brandon Beane said LeSean McCoy would be back with the team for the final year of his contract in 2019.

"LeSean will come back in 2019 and we’ll go from there," Beane said matter of factly. Now on the wrong side of 30, McCoy is due $6.175 million in 2019. Cutting him would free up $6.425 million in cap space while leaving behind a modest $2.625 million in dead money. Good savings, but the Bills are already flush in cap space. Supporting cast issues take a huge part of the blame, but McCoy has seen steep drops in his YPC each of the past two years, bottoming out at 3.2 in 2018.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 3:29 PM

Bills GM Brandon Beane said LeSean McCoy is still their featured back.

The Bills have added Frank Gore, T.J. Yeldon, and third-round RB Devin Singletary after McCoy bottomed out last year. Buffalo improved their offensive line this offseason, but McCoy is on shaky ground as a declining 30-year-old back. Even if McCoy's starting role is safe, his days as an every-down back look behind him. The Bills can save $6.4 million if they cut McCoy before Week 1.

SOURCE: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 7:27 AM

Interesting. Yeldon was quite serviceable in JAC last year, Gore can serve as the mentor for the rookie...there being over 6 million reasons to cut McCoy, I can see him somewhere else next season.

beef said:
singletary is the only back i'd want to own from this group.
Don't sleep on Marcus Murphy. He had an average per carry of about 1.5 more then McCoy and Ivory last year on a not-terribly-small sample size.

LeSean McCoy said he expects to be in the "same role as last year."

"I mean, I'm a dominant player," McCoy said. "I think that speaks for itself. But I'll be in the same role as last year. And I look forward to putting some numbers up and bouncing back from that last season." Now 31 and entering the final year of his contract, rumors of McCoy's release have inevitably swirled following Buffalo's offseason additions of veteran Frank Gore, third-down back T.J. Yeldon, and third-rounder Devin Singletary. McCoy may expect to be in the same role, but there's still a 50/50 shot he makes it out of camp with the Bills. Parting with him would only cost the team $2.625 million in dead cap space.

SOURCE: Buffalo News

Jun 12, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

LeSean McCoy said he expects to be in the "same role as last year."

"I mean, I'm a dominant player," McCoy said. "I think that speaks for itself. But I'll be in the same role as last year. And I look forward to putting some numbers up and bouncing back from that last season." Now 31 and entering the final year of his contract, rumors of McCoy's release have inevitably swirled following Buffalo's offseason additions of veteran Frank Gore, third-down back T.J. Yeldon, and third-rounder Devin Singletary. McCoy may expect to be in the same role, but there's still a 50/50 shot he makes it out of camp with the Bills. Parting with him would only cost the team $2.625 million in dead cap space.

SOURCE: Buffalo News

Jun 12, 2019, 4:25 PM ET
Sure, cutting him would only cost 2.6 in dead cap space, but he's on the last year of his contract, so that would only free up cap space this year, no? What's the point? There's really nowhere to spend it at this point. I guess some could roll over to next year...?

Sure, cutting him would only cost 2.6 in dead cap space, but he's on the last year of his contract, so that would only free up cap space this year, no? What's the point? There's really nowhere to spend it at this point. I guess some could roll over to next year...?
All of it would roll over to next year. It's pretty much a no-brainer to cut him IMO (which means they probably won't).

travdogg said:
Except for the fact that he's still the best RB on the team, and Buffalo likely believes they are a playoff contender.
That is totally true, but are they less of a contender without him? They'd still have Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, Murphy.

I'd say, yes, they are a bit less of a contender without him, but last year I feel like I finally saw a tiny bit of a step back in McCoy's quickness. I wouldn't blame them for following the Pats' model of getting rid of a player a year too soon as opposed to a year too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
humpback said:
All of it would roll over to next year. It's pretty much a no-brainer to cut him IMO (which means they probably won't).
It's definitely a tricky situation. He's clearly still a very good player that could help win a couple games this year, when compared to his replacement(s).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out...

travdogg said:
Except for the fact that he's still the best RB on the team, and Buffalo likely believes they are a playoff contender.
First part is certainly debatable, second part is why the Bills are the Bills. He's not very good, way overpaid, and old with a ton of wear and tear- perfect for a rebuilding team huh?

That is totally true, but are they less of a contender without him? They'd still have Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, Murphy.

I'd say, yes, they are a bit less of a contender without him, but last year I feel like I finally saw a tiny bit of a step back in McCoy's quickness. I wouldn't blame them for following the Pats' model of getting rid of a player a year too soon as opposed to a year too late.
It's already a year too late.

It sounds like the Bills can save as much money by cutting McCoy just before week 1 as they would've saved by cutting him at the start of the offseason.

I hadn't realized that before, and I'd been surprised that they kept McCoy and I'd figured that it meant that he would be their starter heading into their season. But if they can keep him through the preseason at no cost then it's less surprising that they kept him, and less of a sign that they plan on keeping him on the roster this season. They can make their decisions later on, based on how he & the other RBs look in camp.

Cutting a dude right before week 1 just because you can, well it's just messed up. Gotta hope the Bill's wouldnt stoop to that level.

2019 NFL minicamp live: Best of rookies, veterans from teams in action

Excerpt:

The Bills continue to distribute first-team snaps at running back between LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore and rookie third-round pick Devin Singletary. Each received time behind Josh Allen in 11-on-11 action during Tuesday's minicamp practice. At one point, McCoy received early-down reps before Gore entered on short yardage for third- and fourth-downs. However, Gore also received snaps out of the shotgun for pass protection.

Avoiding this with every fiber of my being.  I made the mistake of picking McCoy in some redraft leagues after he slipped last year.  I want no part of this RB mess.  Singleterry I guess in leagues deep enough to roster him.

Avoiding this with every fiber of my being.  I made the mistake of picking McCoy in some redraft leagues after he slipped last year.  I want no part of this RB mess.  Singleterry I guess in leagues deep enough to roster him.
He still jukes defenders and stuff. He doesnt have the same burst, but he had a lot to start. I bet he still beats Montgomery to the 10 yard line.

It's not like hes being drafted to be feature back. I think he's ADP is in the 12th round or something. 

He still jukes defenders and stuff. He doesnt have the same burst, but he had a lot to start. I bet he still beats Montgomery to the 10 yard line.

It's not like hes being drafted to be feature back. I think he's ADP is in the 12th round or something. 
Exactly.

It goes against my MO of targeting young ascending players, but I’m ending up with shares of McCoy in early drafts in part because he is going so cheap. Late in the draft you’re usually looking for upside and weirdly I think 31 year old McCoy with 2300+ career carries offers more upside than young guys like Donte Foreman and Duke Johnson who are getting drafted around him.

I can’t argue with someone who wants no part of an older RB in a crowded backfield with stats in decline (and pretty lackluster 2018 tape), but there are scenarios where Buffalo is a better team and their o-line play is significantly better and a less banged up McCoy ends up being sneaky valuable. You’re gambling, but to me it’s a good gamble at ADP. You could almost draft any starting RB profitably as late as he’s going, and McCoy is better than just any RB, he’s only a season or so removed from elite play.

Also bundled in with the McCoy lottery ticket is the chance McCoy and his big contract ends up getting released or traded into a better fantasy situation. Of course he could also end up in a worse situation but since you’re taking him late I think the fact this he is more likely to change teams than the average RB could be a good thing. If he got traded to Tampa Bay like Faust’s article speculates I imagine his fantasy owners would be pretty happy with their investment.

Agreed. McCoy is very undervalued right now. He's basically free in dynasty leagues. He was traded for a late 3rd in 1 of my leagues, which turned into Miles Boykin. I'd rather take my chances with McCoy. 

In redraft, he is very undervalued as well. Round 12 is crazy for a guy who could see 12-15 touches a game, in a decent offense. guys like Ito Smith and Carlos Hyde, who are worse players, who need injuries ahead of them to be relevant, are going in the same area. 

LeSean McCoy said he was "begging" Frank Gore to sign with the Bills.

McCoy told the Bills two years ago that he wanted Gore on the team and said he "was actually begging" the team this offseason. Playing with a long-time veteran and friend obviously has its benefits, but this could also mean Shady is willing to take some of the load off of him (no player has had more touches than McCoy since 2013). The two veterans and rookie Devin Singletary split first-team reps this offseason, likely foreshadowing a slight downtick in touches per game for McCoy in 2019.

RELATED: 

Frank Gore

SOURCE: BuffaloBills.com

Jul 7, 2019, 4:50 PM ET

I dont understand why every FBG email update says McCoy could still be cut. hasnt that time come and gone? I guess a guy can always be cut but I thought the cut off for roster bonuses and such was over with

Bazinga! said:
They save 6.4MM if they cut him prior to week 1
Which is likely why they were giving Gore and Singletary so many looks with the #1s in OTAs. If they see enough out of those guys, I could definitely see McCoy being a late cut.

Bills GM Brandon Beane feels LeSean McCoy has "enough left in the tank" for 2019.

"I think LeSean can still play," said Beane. "If not, we would have made the decision to move on." Coming off what was easily his worst season, the fading 31-year-old will face training camp competition from Frank Gore and third-round rookie Devin Singletary. McCoy is probably still the favorite to lead the backfield in touches over those two, though the 11th-year ball-carrier's fantasy arrow is clearly pointing down.

SOURCE: WGR 550

Jul 19, 2019, 4:14 PM ET

MMQB's Albert Breer reports some around the league believe the Bills could cut or trade LeSean McCoy before Week 1.

The Bills have backed McCoy all offseason despite his career worst 2018. With Frank Gore and T.J. Yeldon added to the mix, it's possible one of the veterans becomes expendable if rookie Devin Singletary can put together a strong training camp. McCoy has the highest salary — the Bills can save $6.4 million from his release — but it would be surprising if he didn't play out the final year of his deal in Buffalo.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jul 19, 2019, 6:49 PM ET

Once RB injuries start happening, you’re going to see McCoy’s value skyrocket.

he is intriguing because of trade possibilities if he slides into late rounds.

Once RB injuries start happening, you’re going to see McCoy’s value skyrocket.

he is intriguing because of trade possibilities if he slides into late rounds.
So is ajayi at a much lower price. He hurt his ACL in October so of course he couldn't pass a physical in the spring, but if an NFL team could choose between signing an injured ajayi or trading for an old McCoy, i could easily see them going that route 

So is ajayi at a much lower price. He hurt his ACL in October so of course he couldn't pass a physical in the spring, but if an NFL team could choose between signing an injured ajayi or trading for an old McCoy, i could easily see them going that route 
McCoy > Ajayi imho

McCoy won't get traded or cut.  What are they going to get for him?  The Bills aren't in cap trouble.  They have the money to pay him.  Injuries will happen.  It's pretty much guaranteed.  It's much better to have the RB depth if needed.  I'd be amazed to see Shady in another uniform this year.

McCoy won't get traded or cut.  What are they going to get for him?  The Bills aren't in cap trouble.  They have the money to pay him.  Injuries will happen.  It's pretty much guaranteed.  It's much better to have the RB depth if needed.  I'd be amazed to see Shady in another uniform this year.
That carries a lot less weight now since they can roll all unused money forward.  Cutting him creates future extra dollars that can be spent on someone else.

That carries a lot less weight now since they can roll all unused money forward.  Cutting him creates future extra dollars that can be spent on someone else.
They’d save 6.425 in cap space this year with only $2.625 in a hit. Doesn’t matter the time of year.  

They brought in his good friend Frank Gore and drafted a kid and signed Yeldon. 

If the Bills were to trade Mccoy it would likely be at the trade deadline if the Bills are out of it and they want to give Mccoy a chance to help a playoff team.  

If a big time starter goes down in August, maybe we’d see a chance he gets traded in early September but I doubt it. 

I think Mccoy and Gore both coach up the kid Singletary and then play it by year at the deadline. What’s weird is the Yeldon signing. I’m curious if they’ll keep all four. 

LeSean McCoy says he's been told he's still "the guy" in the Bills' backfield.

"I feel like that," McCoy said. "That’s what I’ve been told." McCoy trade or release rumors have been percolating for some time now, but the reality is, a move probably would have already happened by now. It would almost have to be a sheer numbers game at this point, which is unlikely. The move would create $6.4 million in cap space, but the Bills don't need it at this point of the calendar year. McCoy's most likely Week 1 job is leading a Buffalo committee.

SOURCE: buffalobills.com

Aug 6, 2019, 1:53 PM ET

I'm having trouble figuring out why the Bills haven't cut LeSean McCoy.  He is due $6.4 million.  He clearly isn't worth that amount.

I'm having trouble figuring out why the Bills haven't cut LeSean McCoy.  He is due $6.4 million.  He clearly isn't worth that amount.
If they don't plan on using that cap space there is no reason to get rid of him sooner than later because there can always be a major injury(especially to a RB). If Singletary went down I'm sure they would just keep him and pay him. And potential injuries to other players around the league would make McCoy a potentially valuable trade commodity before cut downs. Why release him if you can get a draft pick for him? IMO Houston should be willing to give up a pick right now, but just imagine if Miller even had a minor injury going into the season. I assume the DAL situation sorts itself out but McCoy wouldn't be a bad stop-gap there either. One thing about a veteran RB like McCoy is he can probably step into a new offense and be effective almost immediately even before he has a complete grasp of the new offense. There are a lot of teams around the league that would be thin at RB if they lost ONE guy even if they are in a RBBC right now. RB is a position that doesn't get paid because they are easily replaced, but that's when you have an offseason to replace them. They aren't so easy to replace if you have a few days before the season starts. If I were the chargers I'd much rather give up a conditional day 3 draft pick to overpay McCoy $6.4M for a year rather than commit ~$14M to Gordon for several years.

If they don't plan on using that cap space there is no reason to get rid of him sooner than later because there can always be a major injury(especially to a RB). If Singletary went down I'm sure they would just keep him and pay him. And potential injuries to other players around the league would make McCoy a potentially valuable trade commodity before cut downs. Why release him if you can get a draft pick for him? IMO Houston should be willing to give up a pick right now, but just imagine if Miller even had a minor injury going into the season. I assume the DAL situation sorts itself out but McCoy wouldn't be a bad stop-gap there either. One thing about a veteran RB like McCoy is he can probably step into a new offense and be effective almost immediately even before he has a complete grasp of the new offense. There are a lot of teams around the league that would be thin at RB if they lost ONE guy even if they are in a RBBC right now. RB is a position that doesn't get paid because they are easily replaced, but that's when you have an offseason to replace them. They aren't so easy to replace if you have a few days before the season starts. If I were the chargers I'd much rather give up a conditional day 3 draft pick to overpay McCoy $6.4M for a year rather than commit ~$14M to Gordon for several years.
This.  He’s still loved in that locker room. They brought in his buddy Gore for motivation. It’s one year left and he and Gore can mentor Singletary.  If the Bills are out of it at the trade deadline, maybe they send him to a playoff team for a conditional late round pick or something as a favor but they have been pretty upfront with having a plan with him on the roster.  

Users who are viewing this thread