What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (2 Viewers)

Offered a McCoy/Martin J.Reed/NilesPaul owner whos 2-2 Jordan Cameron + Reggie Bush for McCoy - prob overpaying but im about to be 0-4 and if Megatron/DT dont get it together im doomed anyway - may as well take a shot at Shady even if he busts worth the gamble at this point

I think this week against the 49ers was a wake up call for the run game/o-line for the Eagles. Starting off 3-0 probably didn't make the Eagles think twice about changing things up, but after the offense could barely move the ball against the 49ers, things have to change. McCoy most of the year on run plays was lined up in shotgun and would go out wide with his runs, in the 2nd half of this weeks game, McCoy started lining up in iso sets with Foles under center and McCoy would go right up the middle. Producing a couple 5 yard runs. I know it is a small sample size and the Eagles were down at the end of the game so it wasn't used very much, but I have hope for McCoy and this run game. Even Chip said the O-Line has to do better.

Only part of McCoy that scares me, is that even on bad running days in years past, he would still get at least 3-5 touches in the pass game to produce some yards/fantasy points. This year so far, it seems like Sproles has been used in that role. Taking touches away from McCoy.

I believe there was a really old article (possibly FBG) back in the day that talked about how RBs that got 300+ carries tend to fall off the following year. Could be as simple as just too much wear and tear. 2014 McCoy just doesn't look like he's got any sizzle.

This week is big. The Eagles get Lane Johnson back and play the Rams. There is some question whether Johnson is in football shape, but Kelly says he will start if he is in shape.

If Lane Johnson plays and McCoy does badly, I will start to panic.

McCoy owner is offering McCoy/Decker or Welker for my Dez... seriously considering it. This guy can't be held down that long.

Opinions on players sure do change in a hurry at this site. I guess it's a "what have you done for me lately" forum. I can understand the impatience in redraft leagues, but not dynasty. He's only 26 years old.

shoecrew22 said:
Offered a McCoy/Martin J.Reed/NilesPaul owner whos 2-2 Jordan Cameron + Reggie Bush for McCoy - prob overpaying but im about to be 0-4 and if Megatron/DT dont get it together im doomed anyway - may as well take a shot at Shady even if he busts worth the gamble at this point
That's not overpaying at all ... I have McCoy and I'd like to get a good TE and RB in return but I don't think I would take that

Opinions on players sure do change in a hurry at this site. I guess it's a "what have you done for me lately" forum. I can understand the impatience in redraft leagues, but not dynasty. He's only 26 years old.
Indeed... but so is fantasy football, and to a lesser degree the NFL as a whole.

In related news, I'm sticking with McCoy as long as he's in the line-up. He's too talented not to, and once the O-Line heals and the Philly coaches realize they NEED a running game of some sort, Shady will be back. It's not like he forgot how to football over the summer. This spectre of turf toe is the only thing that has my radar raised as it reminds me a tiny bit of Spiller's ankle from last year...

The good news is he's still on pace for 280 carries and 40 catches for 320 total touches.

The bad news is he's still on pace for 1024 total yards and 4 TDs.

This almost feels like a Shaun Alexander cliff drop.
McCoy is only 26, I doubt he's over the cliff.
Last year, Ray Rice was 26, but still recorded a bad season due to terrible offensive line play. Granted, Rice never had the unquestioned talent of Shady.

I still think McCoy will turn it around, but my concern has increased. Still, he's at least a safe bet to finish as a decent RB2; if you can get him for that price, you have to take it on the chance he can regain some of his old form. Unfortunately, I have no idea about his price right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is he's still on pace for 280 carries and 40 catches for 320 total touches.

Last year, Ray Rice was 26, but still recording a bad season due to terrible offensive line play. Granted, Rice never had the unquestioned talent of Shady.

I still think McCoy will turn it around, but my concern has increased. Still, he's at least a safe bet to finish as a decent RB2; if you can get him for that price, you have to take it on the chance he can regain some of his old form. Unfortunately, I have no idea about his price right now.
This is a very good point. No matter how good Shady is, if the line can't open a hole at the line of scrimmage it doesn't matter. There's a reason the backup running backs on the Cowboys look better than Shady right now. It's all about the line. And what we are all learning (at least I am) is just how quickly it all can change. Cowboys now have an O-Line, the Steelers had to to exactly what the Eagles did Sunday (throw on 3rd/4th and 1) for several years and now can run behind a better O-line, etc. The Eagles have been decimated. I'm just hoping that a) starting 4-0 gets me to the playoffs, and b) when 3 of the 5 starters are back in by the end of October-ish Shady will look like Shady again. If not I'm done. And trading for lesser players will make me done too. So I'm holding.

3 of 5 starters will be back this Sunday. Lane Johnson is back, and they had Peters and Herremans.

They only had 1 of 5 playing in position, since Herremans was playing RT. With Johnson back, he can move back to his usual position at RG.

I just sold him and c. Patterson for Marshall and lacy I'm not sure if the owner was thinking he was buying low on both or what but I was happy to accept. At least lacy is scoring more than that 1 ####### point in a game!

Rotoworld:

Asked following Sunday's loss to San Francisco whether he's healthy, LeSean McCoy replied it "doesn't matter."

McCoy followed up by saying he is "fine." He managed 17 yards on ten carries against the 49ers, and there have been rumblings that McCoy is still battling a turf toe injury from the preseason. "He’s not on the treatment list," coach Chip Kelly insisted on Monday. "He does normal maintenance like everybody else, but he hasn't had any injuries where we've done anything with him." The Eagles play the Rams' leaky run defense in Week 5.

Source: ESPN.com
Sep 29 - 5:24 PM

Lane Johnson back. 30th ranked rush defense coming to town. Eagles embarassed on offense this week. Expect Kelly to get Shady a heavy does of the ball in space for him to shine. This offense needs to run the football and I'm expecting a blow up this week.

Otherwise we're in trouble.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not selling now. His value is at an all time. I personally feel the chance of him being productive (not saying stud) from here on out, as opposed to what he's going for now, is the smart bet. I'd rather go down with the ship than sell him for some of the ridiculous offers I've seen posted here.

can anyone comment on how mccoy has looked physically? has any long time observer noticed his running style has changed? Is there anything on tape to backup the report of a turf toe issue. I realize the poor o-line play is probably the majority of the problem

Just wait til November when Mathis and Kelce come back. If you are looking like you are going to make the playoffs, don't deal McCoy. Week 14 is tough (Seahawks, home game though), but weeks 15/16 brings Cowboys and then the Redskins.

Just wait til November when Mathis and Kelce come back. If you are looking like you are going to make the playoffs, don't deal McCoy. Week 14 is tough (Seahawks, home game though), but weeks 15/16 brings Cowboys and then the Redskins.
How many owners can afford to wait 8 weeks and still make the playoffs?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not selling now. His value is at an all time. I personally feel the chance of him being productive (not saying stud) from here on out, as opposed to what he's going for now, is the smart bet. I'd rather go down with the ship than sell him for some of the ridiculous offers I've seen posted here.
An all time what? Low? Doesn't make any sense to sell him for pennies on the dollar right now.

Last year, Ray Rice was 26, but still recorded a bad season due to terrible offensive line play. Granted, Rice never had the unquestioned talent of Shady.

I'm not saying that McCoy can't continue to have a poor season, due to a bad o-line and perhaps an injury. I'm just saying that his career hasn't reached the cliff that Alexander's did at 30.

Rice had a poor line and was overweight last season - he also had an incredibly high workload throughout his college career. Rice, most likely, would have bounced back a bit this season (but I guess we can't be sure).

Might be a dumb question after last night's game - but assuming they were the same price in a dynasty league, which would you rather have - McCoy or Charles?

Insein said:
Lane Johnson back. 30th ranked rush defense coming to town. Eagles embarassed on offense this week. Expect Kelly to get Shady a heavy does of the ball in space for him to shine. This offense needs to run the football and I'm expecting a blow up this week.

Otherwise we're in trouble.
This is solid insight. We are going to learn a lot this weekend. I am starting Shady and feel ok. The Eagles have to understand that they must get the running game going in order to get pressure off of Foles.

I also understand that my first round pick is not going to be point machine that I had figured. It happens. Have to take chances at other places in the line up.

would any of you Shady owners accept an Arian Foster + Victor Cruz offer? PPR league. Just trying to figure out value here.

would any of you Shady owners accept an Arian Foster + Victor Cruz offer? PPR league. Just trying to figure out value here.
I think it all depends on how your team is looking after the first 4 weeks. If your sitting at 3-1 or 4-0 and have a few stud WR and a few other good to stud RBs, then I see no point in selling low......

Luckily, i won this week thanks to Mr. Asiata and am sitting at 3-1. If I was at 1-3 or 0-4, I would be selling to try and get immediate results.

I think it all depends on how your team is looking after the first 4 weeks. If your sitting at 3-1 or 4-0 and have a few stud WR and a few other good to stud RBs, then I see no point in selling low......

Luckily, i won this week thanks to Mr. Asiata and am sitting at 3-1. If I was at 1-3 or 0-4, I would be selling to try and get immediate results.
I wouldn't take either of them .

Courtweeks87 said:
I just sold him and c. Patterson for Marshall and lacy I'm not sure if the owner was thinking he was buying low on both or what but I was happy to accept. At least lacy is scoring more than that 1 ####### point in a game!
This is exactly the type of deal I would be looking to make as a McCoy owner

The o-line issues will probably get resolved, but it could take a while. But I'm still considering buying.

If you owned McCoy and were 0-4, worst ytd points in the league, and weak at every position except QB, what would it take to get McCoy right now...

- low RB2 + mid TE

- low RB2 + low WR2

- low RB2 + mid WR2

- low RB2 + mid WR2
- low RB2 + mid WR2 + TE
- mid RB2
- mid RB2 + low WR2

- high RB2

Just traded for him in dynasty. He was my initial target, but the trade ended involving quite a few players.

Receive

LeSean McCoy

AJ Green

Nick Foles

Torrey Smith

Jason Witten

Send

Andrew Luck

Percy Harvin

Ryan Mathews

Dwayne Allen

Trent Richardson

Just traded for him in dynasty. He was my initial target, but the trade ended involving quite a few players.

Receive

LeSean McCoy

AJ Green

Nick Foles

Torrey Smith

Jason Witten

Send

Andrew Luck

Percy Harvin

Ryan Mathews

Dwayne Allen

Trent Richardson
You should have just switched log ins with the other owner... :hifive:

Traded him, dez, cousins/rg3, and Cameron (I have bennett) for Peyton, Maclin, Niles Paul (not sure what I'll do with him really) Ahmad Bradshaw and Trent in my 12 team ppr league.

Honestly, Dez was the only player I'll miss. McCoy will turn it around (probably as soon as next week) but I think the long term issues are still there. Sproles stealing catches, O-line injuries, and teams daring Foles to beat them. Think that bodes well for Maclin too.

Receive

LeSean McCoy

AJ Green

Nick Foles

Torrey Smith

Jason Witten

Send

Andrew Luck

Percy Harvin

Ryan Mathews

Dwayne Allen

Trent Richardson
This can't be a real trade. that is horrible. shady and AJG alone are worth more then that offering.

Who do you guys think will be able to turn it around this year, mccoy or montee ball? I'm sure a lot of people are considering trading one for the other right now on potential upside

Who do you guys think will be able to turn it around this year, mccoy or montee ball? I'm sure a lot of people are considering trading one for the other right now on potential upside
I think it's pretty clear that McCoy's main issue is O-Line performance. I have no idea what Ball's problem is. So I'd vote McCoy. The O-Line starters will be back eventually and the backups should get better as they play together more.

ahartig said:
G-King said:
Got him for Martin.
Doug Martin? Good lord that is HIGHWAY ROBBERY
I have both him and Martin and feel my fantasy team has been robbed on a highway every week.
My rbs on 1 team Mccoy, martin, Gerhart, tate, sankey, miller, crowell. Somehow with hitting my late round picks mostly k.benjamin, kelce, S smith, and luck at qb I am still 2 and 2. My rbs are horrid lol I hope riding out the storm I'll be okay if they start to show roi

The answer is in your question.

McCoy has somewhere to turn around from. Ball has never been anywhere from where he can turn from.

Users who are viewing this thread