What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (2 Viewers)

"In fairness to Williams, McCoy had a couple of runs that were blocked well and were plays Williams also would have succeeded on. Reid said other factors, such as the defensive fronts Jacksonville showed, played into the success of each player."

That's how I saw it as well. McCoy looked good but at least some of that was just taking what was given to him by his o-line. Williams, on the other hand, never really saw even one hole as big as the handful of holes McCoy got. 

I think these guys will split nearly 50/50 going forward and I think that means RB2/flex value for both of them, which ain't too shabby. 

McCoy has always been a great receiving back as well, so it is very possible he breaks the occasional big play as a receiver. Just because he didn't see targets (maybe 1 or 2?) doesn't mean he won't moving forward. 

McCoy has always been a great receiving back as well, so it is very possible he breaks the occasional big play as a receiver. Just because he didn't see targets (maybe 1 or 2?) doesn't mean he won't moving forward. 
Logical that picking up passing plays would be more complex than rushing, so fully expect his role as a receiver will expand. 

Disclaimer - McCoy investor 

Yeah, I think it's fair to have both hover around the rb20 range weekly in PPR. I'm thinking Shady might end up averaging a few more touches per game but Williams will make up for it with more GL snaps and 3rd down usage since Reid seems to prefer him in those situations. 

Kyler Murray vs. Lamar Jackson; LeSean McCoy's renaissance

Excerpt:

SHADY'S RENAISSANCE: Why LeSean McCoy's poised to produce in K.C.

I'm no fantasy football expert, but I would advise you to put in a waiver-wire claim on LeSean McCoy(if he's still available) to enhance your chances of winning your local league. I know the 31-year-old running back is coming off the worst statistical season of his career and he was a late addition to the Kansas City Chiefs following his release from the Buffalo Bills ... But I believe the six-time Pro Bowlrunning back could rejoin the ranks of the elite as the DH in Andy Reid's offensive lineup.

I know what you're thinking: Thirty-something running backs can't carry the load in a young man's league. However, McCoy is in the perfect situation to thrive as a graybeard in Kansas City. No. 25 is not only in a familiar offense that fits his talents as a hybrid playmaker under a head coach/play-caller who understands his game, but he joins a star-studded lineup with three legitimate home-run threats -- Sammy Watkins, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill (though he's on the shelf now for 4-6 weeks) -- on the perimeter. With the reigning NFL MVP, Patrick Mahomes, at the controls, McCoy will be viewed as a secondary threat by opposing defensive coordinators crafting plans to slow down the Chiefs' explosive attack. That means fewer plus-one defensive fronts with extra defenders in the box and more room to run against opponents utilizing coverage-based tactics to diffuse the Chiefs' big-play passing game.

"McCoy can still play," the aforementioned former AFC defensive coordinator told me. "He's explosive and dynamic. He has great vision and still shows some wiggle. ... You saw how easy it was for him against Jacksonville.

"He will have that kind of room all season with the kind of playmakers the Chiefs have all over the field."

For the first time in his career, McCoy isn't the focal point of the defensive game plan when he steps onto the field. Defensive coordinators have spent the entire offseason coming up with various strategies to stop Mahomes and the Chiefs' electric playmakers in a bombs-away passing game that tests the discipline of your scheme and the athleticism of your roster.

"As a coordinator, I would rather the Chiefs die a slow death with them making a bunch of 5- and 6-yard plays, instead of 50- and 60-yard plays over the top of the defense," the former DC told me. "You dare them to run it and see if Reid will stick to it. If McCoy faces a soft defense like that, he could put up big numbers for them."

That last sentiment is music to McCoy's ears. He spent the past few years as the clear No. 1 offensive option in Buffalo, and although he posted a pair of highly productive seasons (including 1,267 rushing yards and 13 TDs on the ground in 2017), Shady watched his yards-per-carry average dip. After averaging 5.4 yards per carry in 2016, he could only muster 4.0 and 3.2 yards a pop in each of the past two campaigns with a supporting cast that lacked A-listers on the perimeter.

In his initial appearance with Kansas City, McCoy scooted to 81 yards on just 10 carries in the Chiefs' 40-26 win over the Jaguars. That's the kind of production we came to expect from McCoy for the bulk of his career, the kind of production that's possible for an older back playing in a wide-open offense with explosive athletes all over the field.

"It was nice just watching how fast they were going up and down the field," McCoy said his debut game for the Chiefs, via The Kansas City Star. "How much space they had, how many opportunities they had, the gains they were getting each play. At one point in the game, we were averaging like 15 yards (per) touch. That's not normal. To see it firsthand is pretty cool."

With more room to operate and a formidable set of weapons around, McCoy could really turn back the clock in 2019.

LeSean McCoy rushed 11 times for 23 yards in the Chiefs' Week 2 win over the Raiders, adding three receptions for zero additional yards.

The entire Chiefs' run game couldn't get much of anything going in Week 2, converting 22 rush attempts into just 31 scoreless yards. Still, Shady's value is suddenly on the rise after Damien Williams exited early with a knee injury and didn't return. Anyone even remotely involved in this high-scoring Chiefs offense will carry weekly fantasy value, particularly the starting RB. Note that Shady would likely still split reps to some extent with rookie RB Darwin Thompson if Williams is ultimately sidelined. The Chiefs take on the Ravens next.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:12 PM ET

LeSean McCoy suffered an ankle injury late in Sunday's Week 2 victory over the Raiders.

That would explain why Darwin Thompson finished out the game at running back for Kansas City. McCoy was thrust into a featured role after Damien Williams went down with a knee injury, but couldn't take advantage of his increased usage, slumping to just 23 yards on 14 touches (11 carries, three receptions). Shady's injury has fallen mostly under the radar, which would suggest the Chiefs aren't concerned about his status for next week's home opener against the Ravens. The health of KC's backfield will be a situation fantasy owners will have to monitor throughout Week 3.

SOURCE: Matt Derrick on Twitter

Sep 16, 2019, 10:35 AM ET

LeSean McCoy (ankle) will undergo an MRI Monday.

He tweaked his ankle late in Sunday's win over Oakland. The injury isn't believed to be serious, though Monday's MRI should wipe away any shred of uncertainty. McCoy's health takes on greater significance in the wake of Damien Williams' knee injury. Rookie Darwin Thompson could be in for an expanded role if either player misses time.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 16, 2019, 11:29 AM ET

joffer said:
Raiders D seemed to be selling out against the run today
This was my hope. I can’t understand how some Ds play the Chiefs. Seems picking your poison would mean flooding the secondary with extra DBs and hope for the best with line play.

If he’s ok, and Damien is not, McCoy is primed to succeed.
I own McCoy and have no shares of Williams.  Have said from the outset that I thought McCoy's upside would be capped at high-end RB2 given that I doubted that even with a Williams injury that McCoy would get sufficient volume.  I doubt Reid would want to make a 31 yr old into a workhorse.  Expect Thompson or the other Williams to become fantasy relevant if Williams can't go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my hope. I can’t understand how some Ds play the Chiefs. Seems picking your poison would mean flooding the secondary with extra DBs and hope for the best with line play.
Playing man on the receivers without tyreek makes some sense.  Unfortunately for the raiders they blew a couple coverages where they had one d back covering two receivers with no safety help, which is just awful.  But the chiefs didn't sustain any drives, really.  They just hit a bunch of huge plays in a single quarter. 

I don't think you can shut down the chiefs offense altogether, but you can slow them down and the raiders did a better job than the final score looks.  If they execute a little better next time that game plan could work.  

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports LeSean McCoy's (ankle) MRI showed no significant damage.

He has a "shot" to play in Sunday's Week 3 showdown against the Ravens. With Damien Williams (groin) also on the mend, rookie Darwin Thompson could be handed a few more touches than usual. McCoy will garner RB3/FLEX status if he's active.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 8:19 AM ET

LeSean McCoy (ankle) missed the early portion of practice Wednesday.

Both he and Damien Williams (groin) weren't available at the portion of practice open to media Wednesday. While the organization has been mum on Williams' availability heading into Sunday, McCoy reportedly still has a "shot" to play. Darwin Thompson appears in line for more work against the Ravens with how this backfield's trending. McCoy needs to get in limited work prior to Sunday to be deemed viable for Week 3.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

LeSean McCoy (ankle) was officially "limited" in his Thursday return to practice.

McCoy is looking far more likely than Damien Williams (knee) to suit up against the Ravens. If Williams can't go, McCoy will be an RB2 with Darwin Thompson offering FLEX appeal.

Sep 19, 2019, 6:00 PM ET

true, but snark is allowed regardless. By reasonable projections and eyeing it? 
gotcha, but I can't believe you are not a 22 pt. favorite.   I'm o-2 in two long running friends leagues.   man do I need a win or I get the snark big time..

good luck!

gotcha, but I can't believe you are not a 22 pt. favorite.   I'm o-2 in two long running friends leagues.   man do I need a win or I get the snark big time..

good luck!
Word. 22 seems to be a common theme in my life. Spent $22 FAAB yesterday, friend joked today it could buy 1/4 of a shirt that I bought, etc. etc. 

I digress. Best of luck in return. 

Users who are viewing this thread