What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (1 Viewer)

posted this in the KC/GB thread but posting here just for future reference and McCoy hate.....

Chiefs fan..... I have been telling my wife since McCoy joined the team that the way he carries the ball like a loaf of bread is going to cost them games.....its just a matter of time....you can see it coming...I just don't get it...I sit here on my couch and I can see it from day one with him....do the coaches not see it....does Shady not know he does it?.....is he not coach-able when it comes to tucking it...?....I just don't get it......I know he can "produce" but in these games when each possession is so valuable and your defense can't stop anybody, you have to covet the football...in a normal game, with Mahomes on your team, really the ONLY thing you need to do is not turn the ball over.....let alone if Moore is our QB....."fU" shady....so tired of him not changing his game and protecting the ball...I cringe EVERY time he touches the ball because he just cannot tuck it in.....he leaves it out there like a piece of candy and it's Halloween....

Last edited by a moderator:
posted this in the KC/GB thread but posting here just for future reference and McCoy hate.....

Chiefs fan..... I have been telling my wife since McCoy joined the team that the way he carries the ball like a loaf of bread is going to cost them games.....its just a matter of time....you can see it coming...I just don't get...I sit here on my couch and I can see it from day one with him....do the coaches not see it....does Shady not know he does it?.....is he not coach-able when it comes to tucking it...?....I just don't get it......I know he can "produce" but in these games when each possession is so valuable and your defense can't stop anybody, you have to covet the football...in a normal game, with Mahomes on your team, really the ONLY thing you need to do is not turn the ball over.....let alone if Moore is our QB....."fU" shady....so tired of him not changing his game and protecting the ball...I cringe EVERY time he touches the ball because he just cannot tuck it in.....he leaves it out there like a piece of candy and it's Halloween....
I've wondered for years how this habit hasn't caught up with him. Walrus needs to got Tiki's Barber on the phone.

Chiefs fan..... I have been telling my wife since McCoy joined the team that the way he carries the ball like a loaf of bread is going to cost them games.....its just a matter of time....you can see it coming...I just don't get it...I sit here on my couch and I can see it from day one with him....do the coaches not see it....does Shady not know he does it?.....is he not coach-able when it comes to tucking it...?....I just don't get it......I know he can "produce" but in these games when each possession is so valuable and your defense can't stop anybody, you have to covet the football...in a normal game, with Mahomes on your team, really the ONLY thing you need to do is not turn the ball over.....let alone if Moore is our QB....."fU" shady....so tired of him not changing his game and protecting the ball...I cringe EVERY time he touches the ball because he just cannot tuck it in.....he leaves it out there like a piece of candy and it's Halloween....
I completely agree. And now D Williams has fire in his belly. Shady blew it 

McCoy has two fumbles in 2018 and 2019 combined.

LeSean McCoy had nine carries for 40 yards and caught four passes for 23 yards in Week 8 against the Packers.

McCoy led the backfield in touches and was the featured back early. He went in Andy Reid’s doghouse after fumbling on a late third-quarter handoff that gave the Packers the lead. McCoy had been slowly distancing himself from Damien Williams, but his ball security issues are becoming a concern. With half the season over, McCoy is on pace for 982 total yards and six touchdowns. He'll be an RB3 play for a tough Week 9 matchup with the Vikings.

Oct 27, 2019, 11:49 PM ET

McCoy has two fumbles in 2018 and 2019 combined.
lol....you could make a case that his fumbles have cost the chiefs two games this year...ball security is and has been an issue with him....anybody watching the game can see how its an issue....my wife who is a casual football fan asked why he "carries it like that"...then when Williams came in we watched some of his runs in slow motion and she was like why doesn't McCoy carry it up there like that guy....I had no answer....

Urban Dictionary.....but spot on when it comes anybody that has watched Shady play....

Like a loaf of bread

If you hold a loaf of bread tightly, you will damage it. The term refers to holding the ball LIGHTLY as you would a LOAF OF BREAD, which means it can be easily dislodged from the player.

"To avoid a fumble, running backs should grip the ball tightly and not like a loaf of bread"

by SwimUpRiver February 02, 2016

Like a loaf of bread

The way TV sports announcers, usually following a fumble, describe a football player's style of holding the ball, when he has it in one hand away from his body. It's ridiculous because no one has ever actually seen anyone hold a loaf of bread that way, but they say it every time anyway.

No wonder he fumbled. Look how he was carrying it out there like a loaf of bread.

#football#player#loaf#bread#ball

by Ooooooya January 20, 2011

lol....you could make a case that his fumbles have cost the chiefs two games this year...ball security is and has been an issue with him....anybody watching the game can see how its an issue....my wife who is a casual football fan asked why he "carries it like that"...then when Williams came in we watched some of his runs in slow motion and she was like why doesn't McCoy carry it up there like that guy....I had no answer....
Well I talked to my aunt and she disagrees.  Shady has fumbled twice in his last 29 games.  He does not have a fumbling problem.

Yeah, McCoy is kind of weird in this regard.  Even in his peak Philly days, he would routinely carry the ball that way (he doesn't do it all the time, but he does it frequently).   But when you look at his stats over a large sample, he doesn't really have a problem. 

I suppose one could argue that opponents have picked up on his style and are now exploiting it, so if left unchanged we would see a dramatic increase in fumbling rate.   I don't know if that's the case, but it is plausible. 

I also think if you're going to assign blame, Reid deserves at least some.  McCoy has always done this.  It's not something new.  If he felt it was a problem, then he should have addressed it by coaching him to hold it differently. 

Then why didn't he play after the fumble...
The Chiefs only had 2 more series after the fumble.  Damien Williams looked great in the first of those series.  He had runs of 8 yards and 9 yards and the 3 yard touchdown run.  It would have been foolish to take out Williams when he had the hot hand.

And just like that, as we were starting to get some kind of predictability in the KC backfield, it all unravels. Everyone is back to my bench the next couple weeks until we figure this thing out, AGAIN.

Point is Williams really only came in because of the fumble....
Or because Reid's deployment of his RBs is completely indecipherable.

The "Why is Damien getting touches over Darrel/Shady/Thompson?" question has been asked about a thousand times before this latest fumble.

Or because Reid's deployment of his RBs is completely indecipherable.

The "Why is Damien getting touches over Darrel/Shady/Thompson?" question has been asked about a thousand times before this latest fumble.
Shady did not play after the fumble.....he did not play anymore because of ball security issues.....Williams performing "well/hot hand" was done after the fumble..... Reid wasn't magically thinking " I bet Williams has the hot hand right now, I should put him in"......

Shady did not play after the fumble.....he did not play anymore because of ball security issues.....Williams performing "well/hot hand" was done after the fumble..... Reid wasn't magically thinking " I bet Williams has the hot hand right now, I should put him in"......
I understand you believe ball security to be the reason.  You may be right, or it might be any one of several other reasons.

I can't decipher Reid's RB usage this year when it comes to the Williams brothers.  Shady has been much better than I thought he was going to be when they signed him because I thought he was done. It seems clear he was removed from the Packers game because of his fumble but I doubt that will take him out of the starting lineup.   He has seemed fine from a health perspective since his ankle injury earlier this year.  Darrel has been more productive than Damien but gets fewer touches.  I thought Thompson would be in the mix this season but he has barely seen the field.  Historically owning a Reid back has been fantasy gold but this year it seems like fool's gold. 

I suppose one could argue that opponents have picked up on his style and are now exploiting it, so if left unchanged we would see a dramatic increase in fumbling rate.   I don't know if that's the case, but it is plausible. 

I also think if you're going to assign blame, Reid deserves at least some.  McCoy has always done this.  It's not something new.  If he felt it was a problem, then he should have addressed it by coaching him to hold it differently
I doubt they've just this year picked up on it. He's been doing it routinely his entire career. Perhaps the difference is he's lost a bit of explosiveness and now defenders are more regularly able to get close enough to make him pay. Or perhaps it's just coincidence and flukey. I suspect the former.

If I could bet on it, I'd wager a ton that Reid and pretty much every coach McCoy has had over his entire career, probably dating back all the way to high school, has been trying to coach him out of bread loafing. The problem has always been enforcement. Until now, he didn't fumble often enough, and he was indispensable. Both of those factors are slipping away from McCoy's favor, or so it seems.

I said it before, I'll say it again. McCoy needs to study Tiki Barber. Dude went from fumbling-bumbling scat back to all-world feature back simply by learning to hold the ball conservatively. It took nothing away from his game and gave him some all-world seasons to finish his career.

Who cares about something that has been going on for over a decade and clearly no professional coaches have a problem with?

The real issue is Reid calling 36 passes and 18 runs for his RBs.  It's Matt Freaking Moore ANDY. WTF?!?!?!?!!

Who cares about something that has been going on for over a decade and clearly no professional coaches have a problem with?

The real issue is Reid calling 36 passes and 18 runs for his RBs.  It's Matt Freaking Moore ANDY. WTF?!?!?!?!!
seeing that he didn't return to the game and it appeared he never was going to, might indicate that Reid had a problem with it......was it a little late....you bet....but hopefully the message has been sent.....IMO would be happy to welcome him back to the field if he makes an adjustment.....if not I hope he stays on the sideline.....

Urban Dictionary.....but spot on when it comes anybody that has watched Shady play....

Like a loaf of bread

If you hold a loaf of bread tightly, you will damage it. The term refers to holding the ball LIGHTLY as you would a LOAF OF BREAD, which means it can be easily dislodged from the player.

"To avoid a fumble, running backs should grip the ball tightly and not like a loaf of bread"

by SwimUpRiver February 02, 2016

Like a loaf of bread

The way TV sports announcers, usually following a fumble, describe a football player's style of holding the ball, when he has it in one hand away from his body. It's ridiculous because no one has ever actually seen anyone hold a loaf of bread that way, but they say it every time anyway.

No wonder he fumbled. Look how he was carrying it out there like a loaf of bread.

#football#player#loaf#bread#ball

by Ooooooya January 20, 2011
Yes.

I learned from Booger that one can throw the ball like a loaf of brad as well although it is poor technique to do so. 

You want to throw it more like fish.

seeing that he didn't return to the game and it appeared he never was going to, might indicate that Reid had a problem with it......was it a little late....you bet....but hopefully the message has been sent.....IMO would be happy to welcome him back to the field if he makes an adjustment.....if not I hope he stays on the sideline.....
McCoy is going to start and get the majority of touches next week.  I hope it doesn't happen but it would be foolish to think it won't.

McCoy is going to start and get the majority of touches next week.  I hope it doesn't happen but it would be foolish to think it won't.
Agree. We may see Damien find a little more touches based on a solid performance, so share might shift but likely not impact anything substantial.

This is still a RBBC nightmare backfield. 

Agree. We may see Damien find a little more touches based on a solid performance, so share might shift but likely not impact anything substantial.

This is still a RBBC nightmare backfield. 
Damien in the third was my worst pick.  The worst part is that if my draft was three hours later, I wouldn't have done it (same day they signed McCoy).

Don Hutson said:
Well I talked to my aunt and she disagrees.  Shady has fumbled twice in his last 29 games.  He does not have a fumbling problem.
Nice

Your aunt is a very wise woman.  McCoy is obviously their best RB in Andy's eyes since he has gotten the majority of the carries lately.  A couple fumbles and he now has a fumbling problem?  I think coaches overreact in these situations.  Benching your best back isn't gonna make him not fumble down the road, so unless you plan on making the benching permanent, why do it in a close game where it could have cost you the game?   

Yeah I've been on the Shady bandwagon all year. However, now I'm starting to think Damien might be the play moving forward. Reid cannot be happy about those fumbles. 

It's the same thing Belichick would do as a head coach. You sit em because fumbles are costly and the coach (Reid) emphasizes it.

I do believe Shady will get another crack this week. He may not be the best of plays, but in this thin RB situation, serviceable as a low end RB 2 or Flex?

I'll be following the entire KC team being moderately invested with Mahomes, Hill, and Butker in three different leagues. Shady is a FA in one league with short benches. 

10% of the snaps last week, healthy scratch this week, you want to believe Andy is Load Managing him but he hasn't been overly used and abused either. 

Carlos Hyde was in their camp to start the season, he might have been their best RB and they released him. 

10% of the snaps last week, healthy scratch this week, you want to believe Andy is Load Managing him but he hasn't been overly used and abused either. 

Carlos Hyde was in their camp to start the season, he might have been their best RB and they released him. 
If this is load management, I'd like to see what throwing someone off of a building looks like. 

The FBGs subscriber email said that wanting to get Darwin work was one of the factors in the healthy scratch. People grabbing him or Darrel?

Now reports are that this was a pre-determined rest week to keep him fresh for the stretch run.  If so, major knee-jerk over reaction from owner in one league who dropped Shady for Darrel.

Users who are viewing this thread