What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Seattle DEF droppable? (1 Viewer)

ahill84006

Footballguy
Thinking of streaming defenses and dropping SEA. Are they worth dropping, or do you think they will return to form and be a stud fantasy defense??

Three weeks into the season, I wouldn't be dropping them yet. They looked pretty solid against Denver's high powered offense. They have the most potential every week, regardless of match up, so someone would be very happy to pick them up if you dropped them.

Just like every year, start Seattle D at home and bench them on the road if your other defense has a better matchup.

It looks like they have a pretty solid schedule post bye (@WAS, DAL, @StL, @CAR, OAK, NYG, @KC, ARI). I just put a claim in for them, as I'm sick of streaming and would rather just roll with them from here on out. They're part of my "acquire solid players on bye this week" strategy since my line-up is pretty much has no starters on bye. Also grabbed Dalton.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVERY defense is droppable
This.
Agreed

I dropped the SF DST. Unless a D is super hot (and there always seems to be one that comes out of nowhere) no matter how 'good' they are It doesn't mean they will put up the stats.

If your bench is large I like to take 3 D's that play in weak divisions...I have found that in most cases opponents matter more

Am I the only one who plays in a league where DEF scoring matters? We are a pts/yards league that penalizes for too many yards/points so you can't skate bye with a garbage D or you could be staring at a -5 (it used to be much worse, as bad as -12 but I changed it).

I actually prefer it as a smothering D can score you a lot of points. Big bonuses for shutouts and <150 yards.

Am I the only one who plays in a league where DEF scoring matters? We are a pts/yards league that penalizes for too many yards/points so you can't skate bye with a garbage D or you could be staring at a -5 (it used to be much worse, as bad as -12 but I changed it).

I actually prefer it as a smothering D can score you a lot of points. Big bonuses for shutouts and <150 yards.
Most leagues that want "defense to matter" just use IDP. Defenses (and kickers) in most league are essentially a shot at some bonus points.

RenegadeRoy said:
tombonneau said:

Most leagues that want "defense to matter" just use IDP. Defenses (and kickers) in most league are essentially a shot at some bonus points.
I did IDP ages ago. Like forever. 2000 maybe. Wasn't a fan. But maybe they've made advancements in last 15 years. :)

RenegadeRoy said:
tombonneau said:

In a couple leagues I commish (bragging rights, no $) I increased the points based on points allowed, reduced turnovers to 1 point, dropped sacks to 0.5 points, and made 4th down stops worth 1 point (a 4th down stop is a turnover!). It worked pretty well IMO. Theoretically magic football is supposed to award for things that are good in real football, and points allowed is the single most relevant and important stat a team defense generates, right? Who cares if you get 4 sacks and three turnovers if you allow 35 points?

Someone dropped them today in my league to steam Miami. Currently have Cincy and thinking about putting in a claim for them. Some idiot did the same thing last year at this time and I rode them all the way to the championship. Although I think Cincy might give the Seahawks D/ST a run..they've looked just as good. Tough call.

This is the reason you don't burn early picks (<10th rd) on DSTs. I have SF in a dynasty and I'm thinking about dumping them as well. They are going to continue to be shell of what they have been and when Harbaugh leaves for Michigan, it's over.

1) Every defense is droppable, but you should be dropping for a reason.

2) The Seattle D is probably trade able. Why not get a back-up player out of the deal?

3) Streaming defenses is a new term this year I think. It used to be "defense by commitee."

4) The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you are worried this much about a top rated defense you are probably ignoring the real problem.

3) Streaming defenses is a new term this year I think. It used to be "defense by commitee."
Huh? Pretty sure I've heard and been using the term "streaming defense" for a few years now. Defense by committee would assume that you would have multiple defenses on your roster at a time.

Defenses in Fantasy are such a wild card . And usually the top ones only stay there for 1-3 years. Bears D was tops for 2-3 years and same thing with Baltimore . Seattle D will start to see small declines each year and come closer to the pact as a new one emerges whether its this year or next. Ofcourse they are still the top fantasy D but they are not the fantasy dominate D anymore (in my opinion ) and are not that much better (In fantasy not reality, in reality they are still awesome) . Last 3 years I drafted the Seatlle D in the 7-8th rounds and they were are huge part of why I won 2 championships the last 3 years but this year I didn't think they would be that far ahead of other D's like Arizona and Cincinnati and did not draft them this year (someone else drafted them in the 7th round and is also thinking of dropping them now) . My pick for the D to be dominate this year and start to rise is Cincinnati. They just shut teams down. Again not saying that the Seattle D is bad just that they are not the peyton manning or jamal charles of defenses anymore but still the best D.

MarcO said:
Not Seattle's.

No, they are not the top scoring fantasy defense so far, but over the course of the season, they are the most likely to put up the most points, are likely to be consistent, and are a defense that will be in someone's starting lineup every week.

The thing is, turnovers and defensive scores are wildly unpredictable, so often times, defenses that have big weeks are not ones that were started by a lot of people, so they were for naught, fantasy speaking. For example, the Giants put up close to 20 points last night, but how many people actually started them? Same for Detroit last week. Or Dallas week 2. Or Minnesota week 1. Good luck predicting that kind of stuff.

MarcO said:
Not Seattle's.

No, they are not the top scoring fantasy defense so far, but over the course of the season, they are the most likely to put up the most points, are likely to be consistent, and are a defense that will be in someone's starting lineup every week.

The thing is, turnovers and defensive scores are wildly unpredictable, so often times, defenses that have big weeks are not ones that were started by a lot of people, so they were for naught, fantasy speaking. For example, the Giants put up close to 20 points last night, but how many people actually started them? Same for Detroit last week. Or Dallas week 2. Or Minnesota week 1. Good luck predicting that kind of stuff.
Exactly why I think defense by committee is far superior to streaming.

MarcO said:
Not Seattle's.

Exactly why I think defense by committee is far superior to streaming.
In what way? If you have a committee you still have to pick who to start, right? I think the argument is that if you have a top D then you just plug them in and forget them, not try to guess when the points will happen. Pick up a D for their bye week and then drop that team the next week.

There are few teams each year that I think qualify but if you are going to use 2 roster spots you have to account for opportunity lost. A short bench makes it less likely that the benefit of holding 2 defenses (even for 1 week) outweigh the cost of the player you don't have.

Finally, your league scoring system heavily influences the value of a defense.

MarcO said:
Not Seattle's.

Of course Seattle's droppable. There's going to be crazy vacillation in which teams rank where, and very little separating the winners from the losers most weeks, with matchup and turnover-induced randomness being the primary drivers for it. The only thing that make Seattle even remotely undroppable in some people's minds is the fact that they didn't understand the history of the position and thus grossly overpaid for last year's #1. A mistake which owners make in every league every year, for unfathomable reasons.

Usually by this point in the season, even the stubbornest victims of that misunderstanding have come around. But not all, I guess.

I wonder how long the stalwarts held out last year with SF, or CHI, or HOU, or PIT...

Different year, different team, same story.

:shrug:

You dont drop them....target a guy in your league who isnt streaming well or who picked up someone ####ty like NE or STL thinking they would be good and trade them. They have value.

but streaming is the best form IMO

You dont drop them....target a guy in your league who isnt streaming well or who picked up someone ####ty like NE or STL thinking they would be good and trade them. They have value.

How is NE D ####ty? Granted last week wasn't too great, but they've got some decent matchups coming, and besides Seattle and Cincy, they're probably the 3rd best option.

How is NE D ####ty? Granted last week wasn't too great, but they've got some decent matchups coming, and besides Seattle and Cincy, they're probably the 3rd best option.
I think NE D is #1 D in my league.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm holding/starting them in at least one league and since the top options are not freely available I don't see any reason to make a swap

Sorry dont own NE in any leagues and was thinking they were pretty bad this year just faced #### teams..

point still stands you dont drop SEA you trade them then stream

MarcO said:
Not Seattle's.

yes, yes they are. Obviously you aren't going to drop them unless you have to. I don't think the question asked was in the "should I drop SEA DEF and pick up another DEF" vacuum. I'm sure it was more of a "I have no room on my bench to pick up another DEF to cover Seattle's BYE". And if it means dropping a QB/RB/WR/TE that potentially is a FLEX player for you - I think you have to drop SEA DEF. There is no question that they will be a top 5 DEF this season. But the thing is you can ALWAYS find a starting DEF that will give you SOME points on the waiver wire - maybe even more than SEA on any given week. You can't say the same thing about a QB/RB/WR/TE.

Get to week 5, ride them all year and forget about it, or use them to clinch a deal. Either way, they should not be dropped.

1) Every defense is droppable, but you should be dropping for a reason.

2) The Seattle D is probably trade able. Why not get a back-up player out of the deal?

4) The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you are worried this much about a top rated defense you are probably ignoring the real problem.
Thank you for explaining that.

Yep, my leagues score DST like this as well. Because of it, you always see a guy who grabs the "top" D in round 6-9. I think Seattle is looking a bit less strong this year because of the rule changes. It appears that what people were saying about the secondary relying on molesting WR;s may be true. I'm "streaming" in leagues where I missed on DST and standing pat with D's like the Bengals and a couple others.

This is the type of league where i purposely choose to leave my defense on the bench during a bad matchup. And still win

Just like every year, start Seattle D at home and bench them on the road if your other defense has a better matchup.
other defense?
:goodposting:
If the bench is large enough, I always try to roster 2, sometimes 3 defenses... I have won playoffs this way while others slept on defenses i stacked the top 3 and rode them to the SuperBowl, while they watched their "top defense" flounder away at the end of the year due to injuries... This is especially easy to pull off once byes start coming to an end and you can start dropping backup QBs and TEs etc.

Currently 25th and dropping in standard scoring. :thumbup:

Carolina not looking all that much better, even after the good game Sunday.

Never, ever, ever, ever be the guy who squanders a higher pick than absolutely necessary to score last year's top fantasy D. And certainly never be the guy who doubles down and makes the mistake of holding onto them for too long. They'll have some good days, still, but no chance that they return fair value at this point. There were a handful of D's available on most waiver wires, with good matchups, who equaled or bettered SEA's production for the entire year-to-date just during this week's game. :shrug:

At the price some had to pay to get them, I was going to have no shot at getting them on my team and it looks to be a good thing for those who thought the same. Streaming defenses is the the way to go. Play matchups because when you get a team like Seattle you treat them like studs and you cant sit them (often).

As I mentioned before the top Defenses in fantasy dont sustain it. The bears , Ravens , Chiefs etc after they had there big Defense year in fantasy basically had the same team and were still great defenses but were not the same fantasy points wise. The seahawks are a middle of the pack fantasy D now. this year there is no #1 defense (maybe Philly) and streaming is the way to go. 90% of the time defenses like kickers are just a crapp shoot. in my league the seahawks are tied for last with the raiders on fantasy points. Not even worth starting. I took a chance the last 2 years drafting the seahaks early (7th round) but this year figured it cant happen 3 years in a row and went back to drafting defenses in my last 3 picks.

Is anyone still holding them? I've been starting them each week, but I'm tempted to finally pull the trigger and start streaming. Ideally I'd just add another, but I don't think I have the space for two defenses.

I'm still holding. Yes, they have been disappointing so far, but with the softer part of their schedule coming up, I think they'll start getting it right. Keep in mind that four of their first five games were against Rodgers, Rivers, Peyton and Romo, four of the 10 best QBs in the league. They don't face another QB of that caliber the rest of the year.

I'm still holding. Yes, they have been disappointing so far, but with the softer part of their schedule coming up, I think they'll start getting it right. Keep in mind that four of their first five games were against Rodgers, Rivers, Peyton and Romo, four of the 10 best QBs in the league. They don't face another QB of that caliber the rest of the year.
Makes sense. And they'll have added incentive to prove something after that loss to Dallas at home. Plus they face St. Louis next, who hasn't exactly been racking up the points this season. If they can't do much in that game, though, it might be time to look for greener pastures.

Users who are viewing this thread