What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Jeremiah: Tide's Amari Cooper better than Bills' Sammy Watkins

Chase Goodbread

Wide receiver prospects better than Sammy Watkins, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, aren't easy to find. But NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Alabama has one in junior Amari Cooper. Jeremiah and fellow analyst Bucky Brooks discussed Cooper's potential this week on the College Football 24/7 Podcast.

"I had Amari Cooper ahead of Sammy Watkins and Marqise Lee (last year). The way (Cooper) played last year, being a little bit nicked up, that probably raised eyebrows, having him over Sammy Watkins," Jeremiah said. "But what I've seen from him now, I do, I think he's a better football player just all-around, just polished in everything, as a route runner, I think he's a little bit ahead of Sammy."

Cooper's productivity certainly has matched the praise. He leads the NCAA in both receptions (43) and receiving yards (655), although he'll likely fall off that perch Saturday as the Crimson Tide is idle this week. Asked in July about his pending decision whether to enter the NFL draft as an underclassman, Cooper said he wants to "stay where my feet are, and focus on today."

Said Brooks: "He looks like a No. 1 receiver should look. He can run all the intermediate routes, he can get vertical, he can catch and run, he's physical, he's a willing blocker. He's playing in a pro-style offense so it shouldn't really be a big transition for him to go to the National Football League."

Jeremiah isn't the only one to liken Cooper to Watkins. An AFC talent evaluator told Yahoo! Sports that Cooper is "not the horse Julio (Jones) is," but said he compared favorably to the Buffalo Bills' prized rookie.

"That's the closest comparison, at least among the recent guys," the evaluator said. "(Bama doesn't) use him quite as creatively as Clemson did with Sammy, but they can do some of the same things."

Meanwhile, Cooper likes to model his game after that of the San Francisco 49ers' Michael Crabtree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, like him more than Watkins.
Are you low on Watkins or high on Cooper? I picked up 5 first round picks in next year's draft so I am particularly interested in monitoring potential prospects. Cooper has looked fantastic thus far.

Chase Goodbread

Wide receiver prospects better than Sammy Watkins, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, aren't easy to find. But NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Alabama has one in junior Amari Cooper. Jeremiah and fellow analyst Bucky Brooks discussed Cooper's potential this week on the College Football 24/7 Podcast.

"I had Amari Cooper ahead of Sammy Watkins and Marqise Lee (last year). The way (Cooper) played last year, being a little bit nicked up, that probably raised eyebrows, having him over Sammy Watkins," Jeremiah said. "But what I've seen from him now, I do, I think he's a better football player just all-around, just polished in everything, as a route runner, I think he's a little bit ahead of Sammy."

Cooper's productivity certainly has matched the praise. He leads the NCAA in both receptions (43) and receiving yards (655), although he'll likely fall off that perch Saturday as the Crimson Tide is idle this week. Asked in July about his pending decision whether to enter the NFL draft as an underclassman, Cooper said he wants to "stay where my feet are, and focus on today."

Said Brooks: "He looks like a No. 1 receiver should look. He can run all the intermediate routes, he can get vertical, he can catch and run, he's physical, he's a willing blocker. He's playing in a pro-style offense so it shouldn't really be a big transition for him to go to the National Football League."

Jeremiah isn't the only one to liken Cooper to Watkins. An AFC talent evaluator told Yahoo! Sports that Cooper is "not the horse Julio (Jones) is," but said he compared favorably to the Buffalo Bills' prized rookie.

"That's the closest comparison, at least among the recent guys," the evaluator said. "(Bama doesn't) use him quite as creatively as Clemson did with Sammy, but they can do some of the same things."

Meanwhile, Cooper likes to model his game after that of the San Francisco 49ers' Michael Crabtree.
What's with these guys modeling their game after players like Crabtree and Torrey Smith. Not exactly reaching for the stars...Lol.

Are you low on Watkins or high on Cooper? I picked up 5 first round picks in next year's draft so I am particularly interested in monitoring potential prospects. Cooper has looked fantastic thus far.
I don't think I'm low on Watkins or high on Cooper particularly. I'm just lower and higher than the majority. I like Watkins, a lot. But think the hype is out of control and he isn't an elite prospect. I don't know if Cooper is an elite prospect either but I like him a bit more.

I don't think I'm low on Watkins or high on Cooper particularly. I'm just lower and higher than the majority. I like Watkins, a lot. But think the hype is out of control and he isn't an elite prospect. I don't know if Cooper is an elite prospect either but I like him a bit more.
Watkins is an Elite prospect brah, wake up!

Watkins>Cooper.... That being said cooper is a great prospect and clear cut wr1 this year in NCAA.

Love to see the raiders give Carr a weapon like this. Carr could do some big things if they give him weapons. Raiders will have a top pick what's the chances they go after this kid?

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "has 73 targets this season, 22 more than any other SEC WR," according to ESPN's College Game day.

The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper has by far the most targets of any SEC receiver and 51 more than the next-closest Alabama wideout. Through his first six games, the Crimson Tide prospect has 54 receptions for 768 yards and five touchdowns. The Crimson Tide prospect has accounted for close to half of the receptions made and yards amassed by anyone on Alabama's roster this season.

Source: ESPN's College Game Day on Twitter
Oct 17 - 2:46 PM

Chase Goodbread

What's with these guys modeling their game after players like Crabtree and Torrey Smith. Not exactly reaching for the stars...Lol.
I guess you aren't familiar with Crabtree's college career. He's no slouch. Won the award for the best WR in college 2 years in a row. If I'm not mistaken, he had never played WR. I believe he was a QB in high school.

Chase Goodbread

I guess you aren't familiar with Crabtree's college career. He's no slouch. Won the award for the best WR in college 2 years in a row. If I'm not mistaken, he had never played WR. I believe he was a QB in high school.
U R correct.

Chase Goodbread

Lol. No kidding. I want to read about the guy that models his game after Dez or Fitz or Andre Johnson. That's the guy I want to draft and put on auto pilot for a decade.

In the end it is academic. The guy everyone should be watching is laquon treadwell. He will be the better pro.

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "has become a polished route runner and shown the ability to carry an offense as the top option in the passing game," NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks wrote.

"With the NFL community already buzzing about his potential as a game changer on the perimeter, Cooper's strong showing on Saturday only solidifies his standing as a blue-chip prospect in the 2015 or 2016 class," Brooks wrote. Cooper caught nine passes for a school-record 224 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 34-20 win over Tennessee. Playing against superior competition, Cooper has posted 71 receptions, 1,132 receiving yards and nine touchdowns.

Source: NFL.com
Oct 28 - 9:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper's stats "aren't just force-feeding," notes ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.
Cooper is, on most boards, the number one wide receiver in the 2015 NFL draft class. This season he's hauled in 71 receptions for 1,132 receiving yards and nine touchdowns while playing against some of the best teams and players in the country over in the SEC. Kiper writes that, "He's neither a pure burner nor an impossible matchup threat given his size (6-1, 210 pounds), but there's nothing he doesn't do well and he's probably more explosive than he looks because his movement is so precise." Kiper also notes that Cooper's work rate is "legendary and will be a big selling point."

Source: ESPN Insider
Oct 29 - 7:57 PM

Chase Goodbread

This I doubt very much Just happen to run across it while reading pages. Sammy is more talented then Cooper although I still think he is top wr in class and a top 4 dynasty pick overall for the rookie 15 class. Sammy is in a rare class not just above average class.

compares him to Calvin Johnson Johnson, Only 4 inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter, on top of being less explosive and dominant. :lol: :lol:

Also more ELITE then our Friend Sammy Watkins according to some. I think that's foolish to believe that, in the pros he won't be as good College is a diff game and Sammy is way more explosive and comparing him to Calvin is just silly. My closest comparison would be a Justin Blackmon.

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper's stats "aren't just force-feeding," notes ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.
Cooper is, on most boards, the number one wide receiver in the 2015 NFL draft class. This season he's hauled in 71 receptions for 1,132 receiving yards and nine touchdowns while playing against some of the best teams and players in the country over in the SEC. Kiper writes that, "He's neither a pure burner nor an impossible matchup threat given his size (6-1, 210 pounds), but there's nothing he doesn't do well and he's probably more explosive than he looks because his movement is so precise." Kiper also notes that Cooper's work rate is "legendary and will be a big selling point."

Source: ESPN Insider
Oct 29 - 7:57 PM
Legendary worker, a la Antonio Brown? Haven't seen a bunch of his game tape but could that be an apropriate comparison?

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior Amari Cooper remains the top WR prospect on Kevin Weidl and Steve Muench's board.
The duo, along with Todd McShay, make up Scouts Inc. Cooper "is catching the ball with more consistency this fall and has shown the top-end speed to exploit a seam and hit home after the catch," the team writes. Many are projecting Cooper as a possible top 10 selection, and some even prefer him over Sammy Watkins. We do not. In fact, we would not be surprised to see many evaluators rank receiver prospects ahead of Amari Cooper by the time the draft rolls around.

Source: ESPN
Oct 31 - 10:46 AM

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks wrote that LSU's secondary was "very talented" and might prove a test for Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper.

Brooks wrote that "[he] is playing in a big-time game against a very talented secondary," which will be a match-up that scouts will want to watch. On the season, Cooper has 71 catches for 1,132 yards and nine touchdowns. He's risen to the top of many receiver ranking boards, though Rotoworld's Josh Norris is not among those hanging out in the coop. Norris has Cooper ranked as his No. 5 receiver and needs to "see more contested catch situations" to convince him. Cooper's game against LSU might showcase a few of those situations.

Nov 7 - 7:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper caught eight passes for 83 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 20-13 win over LSU.

The junior set a school record for receptions and receiving yards in a season (he now has 79 and 1,215 respectively). Cooper showed his balance and ability to break tackles on his 23-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter. He also showed what analysts like Rotoworld's Josh Norris dislike in his game, as he dropped several passes over the middle in crucial spots during the fourth quarter. Cooper will have to work on catching these tough passes if he's going to live up to the hype at the next level.

Nov 9 - 7:33 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Mike Huguein wrote that Amari Cooper could have a Heisman case because of his importance to the team.

"Cooper has been held under 100 receiving yards three times; Alabama lost one of those games, barely escaped (by one point) in another and won Saturday in overtime. Thus, a case can be made that he is the most important player for the Tide," wrote Huguein. That case can be me made, we suppose, but we've never been fans of the old "importance" argument when it comes to awards. If you take quarterback Marcus Mariota off of Oregon, they would crash and burn in a wreck of doom and fire. Cooper is second in the nation in receiving yards with 1,250 yards.

Nov 11 - 8:53 PM

Heisman for a WR who cant catch passes over the middle?

Love me some Cooper, and would likely take him no1 overall in a draft next year.... but cmon

I'd personally take four wrs from this class over Cooper. When Kiper says "he's not a burner or an impossible matchup", that says a lot. Watkins, Evans, Beckham and Benjamin are those things.

Then there's the three games he didn't go over 100 yds. Ole Miss has a good secondary but LSU's secondary was shredded by Miss St and Auburn. Pat Peterson ain't walkin through that door. I don't believe Arkansas has a legitimate NFL prospect in their secondary. And keep in mind every defense's primary objective when playing Bama is to stop the run. Basically what this means is Cooper hasn't taken over in a big game.

Lastly, there's the Bama Bump. Alabama players are always overvalued. And I'm not just talking about for fantasy football purposes. Think about all the Bama players drafted recently. How many met the expectations relative to their draft position? There are many more misses than hits.

Hate to lose him on my college fantasy team, he`ll make some NFL team happy. Love to see the Panthers Giants get him.
fixed. ;)

what a perfect fit for Beckham , Eli , and the Giants..they desperately need another play maker on offense, Randle just isn't cutting it.they have fairly decent RB's..they might be interested in an o-lineman, but a weapon like Cooper would really help this offense..

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes that Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "is so good at the little things and cares about the details."
"Re-watching Alabama-Miss St, WR Amari Cooper is so good at the little things and cares about the details. Not much he can't do on the field," Brugler tweeted. The Crimson Tide prospect hauled in eight passes for 88 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 25-20 win over Mississippi State. The 6-foot-1, 201-pound Cooper has had some issues with drops, but he remains one of the top receiving prospects in the country.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Nov 17 - 2:12 PM
CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote that Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper showed why he was going to be a "Top-15 pick."

The CBS analyst was particularly impressed by Cooper's awareness with "high-point passes," or basically "knowing when to jump." Cooper's best catch came while running deep with two Mississippi State defenders in the second quarter. Blake Sims simply launched the ball deep and Cooper rewarded his faith by making an incredibly difficult catch while falling down at the one. Rang also saw "terrific hand-eye coordination," something we've harped on before in some of his more drop-filled games.

Nov 16 - 3:36 PM
Source: CBS Sports

Hate to lose him on my college fantasy team, he`ll make some NFL team happy. Love to see the Panthers Giants get him.
fixed. ;)

what a perfect fit for Beckham , Eli , and the Giants..they desperately need another play maker on offense, Randle just isn't cutting it.they have fairly decent RB's..they might be interested in an o-lineman, but a weapon like Cooper would really help this offense..
People thought it was crazy that the Giants took Beckham this year when they had so many other needs, there's no way they take another WR in the 1st. Randle isn't great, but he's fine as the 3rd WR on that offense next year. Cruz and Beckham will be one of the better duo's in the league.

If they're going to go for a skill position, I'd rather them go for Gordon. Realistically, they will go OT though and I can't argue with that even though it's not a fun pick. I almost wish they did 2 separate drafts, one for skill positions and one for lineman.

Just a gut feeling he will be good, but not great in the NFL

Love his talent, love watching him in college... But I dunno...

I'd personally take four wrs from this class over Cooper. When Kiper says "he's not a burner or an impossible matchup", that says a lot. Watkins, Evans, Beckham and Benjamin are those things.

Then there's the three games he didn't go over 100 yds. Ole Miss has a good secondary but LSU's secondary was shredded by Miss St and Auburn. Pat Peterson ain't walkin through that door. I don't believe Arkansas has a legitimate NFL prospect in their secondary. And keep in mind every defense's primary objective when playing Bama is to stop the run. Basically what this means is Cooper hasn't taken over in a big game.

Lastly, there's the Bama Bump. Alabama players are always overvalued. And I'm not just talking about for fantasy football purposes. Think about all the Bama players drafted recently. How many met the expectations relative to their draft position? There are many more misses than hits.
Julio was the last Alabama WR drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Why does anyone still do this? All draft picks have a high bust rate and it isn't remotely related to Bama. Other players drafted from Bama, or any school, have nothing to do with Cooper. He will either flourish or fail on his on merits, not some imaginary curse because he went to Bama.

Soulfly3 said:
Just a gut feeling he will be good, but not great in the NFL

Love his talent, love watching him in college... But I dunno...
He'll be better than Gordon, BY FAR.I kid, I kid.

jurb26 said:
Why does anyone still do this? All draft picks have a high bust rate and it isn't remotely related to Bama. Other players drafted from Bama, or any school, have nothing to do with Cooper. He will either flourish or fail on his on merits, not some imaginary curse because he went to Bama.
This happens a lot, don't know why people do it..............

Users who are viewing this thread