Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Amari Cooper, Cowboys

Any thoughts, or concerns, about how he seems to be invisible for large portions of games? For this week, I've read in the OAK thread that Peters seems to line up on one side, which would be Crabtrees, should this increase his targets this week?

3 minutes ago, M####### said:

Any thoughts, or concerns, about how he seems to be invisible for large portions of games? For this week, I've read in the OAK thread that Peters seems to line up on one side, which would be Crabtrees, should this increase his targets this week?

Cooper had about 130 yards to Crabs 10 last time vs Chiefs

to me the Raiders having too many weapons dings Coopers production. Coaches ID the oppositions strengths and completely avoid them most games

dunno what his market share was at Alabama but I think Cooper is like one of those RBs who get better with every touch but Oakland spreads the ball around, most games, negating this part of his game

• Like 2

This is what Rich Hribar of Rotoworld (whom I respect a great deal) has to say about this matchup:

Bust: Amari Cooper (Cooper did the bulk of his damage in the first meeting between these teams against Steven Williams, who is no longer playing while Casey Hayward has been clamping lead receivers)

This looks like a Crabtree game for those of you who own one or both. I'm considering benching Cooper to be honest. Especially after last week.

I'd feel better about the Hayward matchup if Coop were 100%. Will probably start him anyway with Julitoe out, but with a pinched nose.

38 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Are we 100% sure Hayward shadows Cooper in this one? Part of me wants to bench him so badly because of that floor, oof.

With 2 good WRs will SD just decide to take away one and double the other? Or will Hayward Stick to Cooper tween the 20s and Crabs in the RZ

14 minutes ago, Sarlakticacid said:

This just makes it sound like everyone aside from Cooper is going to eat. My problem with "start your studs" is that I think the perceived pool of studs is too large. Over his past 4 games Cooper is 15/126/2, that is the line of a player you should 100% consider benching. The problem is my other options probably aren't good enough, especially in a league where I'm forced to start three WRs.

Edit: Just look at someone like Thielen who has a 24/305/1 line in the same time frame yet most would think the idea of sitting Cooper for him as laughable.

Edited by SameSongNDance

2 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

This just makes it sound like everyone aside from Cooper is going to eat. My problem with "start your studs" is that I think the perceived pool of studs is too large. Over his past 4 games Cooper is 15/126/2, that is the line of a player you should 100% consider benching. The problem is my other options probably aren't good enough, especially in a league where I'm forced to start three WRs.

In that boat too. Quickly sinking as i benched Lockett 5 mins before kickoff yesterday

Im benching Cooper for T. Gabriel with Julio out. Ive been watching the games and Cooper isn't the focus lately. Raiders have been running the ball alot. Carr has a injured pinkie finger.  I could be wrong lol. I need a homerun first week of the playoffs and Gabriel at home with no Julio sounds like the better option. 

51 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Tyrell Williams over Cooper? Had Cooper locked in but now i'm on the fence.

Ugh,  that's close for me. I'm starting both in one PPR league, but I'm not sure who I'd rank higher. If not for the recent emergence of Inman then I'd safely say Tyrell.  As it stands I think both are boom-bust options, but Williams has more TD upside.  I feel dirty saying this but I think I'd go with Tyrell.

1 minute ago, kittenmittens said:

Wow,  how are people benching him Tyrell this week?  Is there a dynasty by window open here?  

So you are saying that Cooper is the start for you without a doubt? 

I would start Cooper over everyone mentioned in this thread.   I hope he has a bad game tho because I want to buy in dynasty and I'm smelling an opportunity here that might not come around again. 

Edited by kittenmittens

FWIW, I am starting M. Thomas over him. The last few weeks has been brutal 

My question about Cooper last at this time was the "Rookie Wall". Yes there was the foot injury. This year at this time. His production sux. What gives?

I think I am going to start Diggs over Cooper. I just don't trust him and he is not even healthy. Just too hard to pull the trigger with other options available. ####ty play of late, injured? Just too much to overcome when its playoff time. I can't afford a three catch for 30 yard game. 

The Qb is there. The motive is there. The ability is there.  Why is Crabtree getting (presumably) more love?  

Cooper is talented enough and in a good enough situation that there shouldn't be many guys on an average FF roster who you would sit him for.  His ceiling is that of a huge mismatch in a FF matchup.(he could outscore two of your opponents combined). 

Debating going with a decent Farrow floor (imo) over Cooper or Alshon, but just can't pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, SameSongNDance said:

I'm sticking with Cooper. 

I inserted Tyrell and then reverted back 5 minutes later. My opponent has Carr and i have Cooper. I have Palmer and he has Fitz. Some cancellation of points going on.

6 minutes ago, Denver724 said:

Maybe one of the biggest disappointments this year. Up there with ARob in my opinion. . 

It's easy to say why ARob and Nuk have been disasters. They are on bad offenses with brutal QB play. Raiders seeing of the highest scoring offenses. You have to wonder how good Cooper actually is right now.

Of course I have Cooks and Luck on the bench while Carr, Cooper and Williams stunkup the place.

Tex

Edited by BigTex

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

It's easy to say why ARob and Nuk have been disasters. They are on bad offenses with brutal QB play. Raiders seeing of the highest scoring offenses. You have to wonder how good Cooper actually is right now.

Good point. I'm starting to think bust. 

1 hour ago, VolBoy said:

I'm DONE with Cooper!!!!!!!!!

Me too. My Superbowl is this week and next. Got crushed this week. I have a chance to still win with a second game next week but this chump isn't going to be in my lineup

He just doesn't seem like a guy who demands targets.  Just a part of the gameplan guy, not someone to build around.  Very disappointed in his season.

He commands top coverage and Carr/the offensive plan and other weapons are stronger than their opposition 

he is also hurt but didn't seem to worry him on the catch n run he had today. He did appear to hesitate on a few downfield blocks today 

Cooper's been a disappointment over the back half of this season, but I still have him as a top 6-8 dynasty WR. He's super young, as he's finishing up his second year in the league at the age of 22 1/2, and he has back-to-back 1k seasons to start his career. Injuries slowed him over the last month of his rookie season, but he still ended up with 72/1070/6. He's been banged up a bit this year too, but he sits at 74/1038/4 with two games to go. Has it been a bit of a letdown that his statistics didn't make a sizable 2nd year leap? Of course it is. I still think he's a great young WR with plenty of room to grow into being a perennial top 6-7 WR. I have my doubts about him ever being dominant enough to put up gaudy numbers like Julio/Brown/OBJ have over the past couple of seasons, but he's still a incredibly valuable WR that I'd gladly take on any of my rosters. 

Cooper and Carr will get more comfortable with each other every season. Hopefully next season we see Carr throwing Coopers way, when they need a play made, regardless of the coverage 

2 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

Me too. My Superbowl is this week anRyannext. Got crushed this week. I  have a chance to still win with a second game next week but this chump isn't going to be in my lineup

I lost division champioship by 3 freakin points! Yes I have Carr but have been starting Matt Ryan. I'm going for Julio or T.Gabriel in off season.

1 hour ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Startable? Or is he one tackle away from sitting out the rest of the game?

What does that even mean?  If anything Cooper has focus issues, but I've never seen a concern about toughness.

Just now, Hankmoody said:

What does that even mean?  If anything Cooper has focus issues, but I've never seen a concern about toughness.

He was limited in practice this week. Maybe this is an injury that has been impacting him for awhile.

Amari Cooper said he thinks he can be "a lot more" productive moving forward.

Cooper has surpassed 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons, but he struggled down the stretch both years. Just two of the nine 100-yard performances of his career have come after Week 8, and he averaged just 46 yards a game over the final eight of last season. If he can fix his late-season swoons, Cooper will be a sure-fire WR1 this year.

Source: CSN Bay Area 
May 25 - 12:57 PM

Starting to look at Cooper's prospects for 2017:

Positives: Has shown growth in both catches and yardage during first two seasons. Plays with a very good QB who has room for further growth. Team looks to be very good. Talent is not an issue- by all accounts, Cooper has all the physical tools to become an elite WR. Still very young- only 23. Crabtree is a very solid compliment on the other side and the running game should be good again.

Negatives: Has not shown elite red zone ability. Only 11 total TDs in first two seasons. Crabtree will have plenty of targets and looked to be the primary WR in the red zone. Has not finished the first two seasons very well.

Most projections have him as a back end WR 1. 

Curious to get the board's thoughts as to his current valuation.

20 minutes ago, Ack88 said:

Starting to look at Cooper's prospects for 2017:

Positives: Has shown growth in both catches and yardage during first two seasons. Plays with a very good QB who has room for further growth. Team looks to be very good. Talent is not an issue- by all accounts, Cooper has all the physical tools to become an elite WR. Still very young- only 23. Crabtree is a very solid compliment on the other side and the running game should be good again.

Negatives: Has not shown elite red zone ability. Only 11 total TDs in first two seasons. Crabtree will have plenty of targets and looked to be the primary WR in the red zone. Has not finished the first two seasons very well.

Most projections have him as a back end WR 1. 

Curious to get the board's thoughts as to his current valuation.

Something has to give with him. He either needs more targets so he can get his yardage up, improve his yards per reception or the Raiders need to start using him in the RZ. He only got 14 RZ targets last year which was 44th in the NFL and the same amount as guys like Nelson Agholor  and Chris Conley. Now it's also the same amount as TY Hilton and one less than Antonio Brown. The difference is in a down year, Brown had 24 more receptions and Hilton averaged about 2 yards more per reception than Cooper. 

42 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Something has to give with him. He either needs more targets so he can get his yardage up, improve his yards per reception or the Raiders need to start using him in the RZ. He only got 14 RZ targets last year which was 44th in the NFL and the same amount as guys like Nelson Agholor  and Chris Conley. Now it's also the same amount as TY Hilton and one less than Antonio Brown. The difference is in a down year, Brown had 24 more receptions and Hilton averaged about 2 yards more per reception than Cooper. 

Pretty simple.....Crabtree is killing Cooper's potential.  Good for the Raiders, bad for Cooper ascending into the WR elite.

Much rather wait a couple of rounds later and grab Crabtree than spend a premium pick on Cooper.

8 minutes ago, fightingillini said:

Pretty simple.....Crabtree is killing Cooper's potential.  Good for the Raiders, bad for Cooper ascending into the WR elite.

Much rather wait a couple of rounds later and grab Crabtree than spend a premium pick on Cooper.

I might argue Cooper is hurting Crabtree's value since Crabtree has been the top receiver for Oakland the last 2 years. 

Edited by Ilov80s

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I might argue Cooper is hurting Crabtree's value since Crabtree has been the top receiver for Oakland the last 2 years. 

and i dont see it changing this season barring injury.  both are high end wr2s and wont be on any of my redraft teams unless they fall in the draft

6 minutes ago, need2know said:

and i dont see it changing this season barring injury.  both are high end wr2s and wont be on any of my redraft teams unless they fall in the draft

Crabtree is a nice value at an adp of WR23, no?