What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

I'd feel better about the Hayward matchup if Coop were 100%. Will probably start him anyway with Julitoe out, but with a pinched nose.

This just makes it sound like everyone aside from Cooper is going to eat. My problem with "start your studs" is that I think the perceived pool of studs is too large. Over his past 4 games Cooper is 15/126/2, that is the line of a player you should 100% consider benching. The problem is my other options probably aren't good enough, especially in a league where I'm forced to start three WRs.

Edit: Just look at someone like Thielen who has a 24/305/1 line in the same time frame yet most would think the idea of sitting Cooper for him as laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This just makes it sound like everyone aside from Cooper is going to eat. My problem with "start your studs" is that I think the perceived pool of studs is too large. Over his past 4 games Cooper is 15/126/2, that is the line of a player you should 100% consider benching. The problem is my other options probably aren't good enough, especially in a league where I'm forced to start three WRs.
In that boat too. Quickly sinking as i benched Lockett 5 mins before kickoff yesterday

Im benching Cooper for T. Gabriel with Julio out. Ive been watching the games and Cooper isn't the focus lately. Raiders have been running the ball alot. Carr has a injured pinkie finger.  I could be wrong lol. I need a homerun first week of the playoffs and Gabriel at home with no Julio sounds like the better option. 

Tyrell Williams over Cooper? Had Cooper locked in but now i'm on the fence.
Ugh,  that's close for me. I'm starting both in one PPR league, but I'm not sure who I'd rank higher. If not for the recent emergence of Inman then I'd safely say Tyrell.  As it stands I think both are boom-bust options, but Williams has more TD upside.  I feel dirty saying this but I think I'd go with Tyrell.

I would start Cooper over everyone mentioned in this thread.   I hope he has a bad game tho because I want to buy in dynasty and I'm smelling an opportunity here that might not come around again. 

My question about Cooper last at this time was the "Rookie Wall". Yes there was the foot injury. This year at this time. His production sux. What gives?

I think I am going to start Diggs over Cooper. I just don't trust him and he is not even healthy. Just too hard to pull the trigger with other options available. ####ty play of late, injured? Just too much to overcome when its playoff time. I can't afford a three catch for 30 yard game. 

The Qb is there. The motive is there. The ability is there.  Why is Crabtree getting (presumably) more love?  

Cooper is talented enough and in a good enough situation that there shouldn't be many guys on an average FF roster who you would sit him for.  His ceiling is that of a huge mismatch in a FF matchup.(he could outscore two of your opponents combined). 

Maybe one of the biggest disappointments this year. Up there with ARob in my opinion. . 
It's easy to say why ARob and Nuk have been disasters. They are on bad offenses with brutal QB play. Raiders seeing of the highest scoring offenses. You have to wonder how good Cooper actually is right now.

Of course I have Cooks and Luck on the bench while Carr, Cooper and Williams stunkup the place.

Tex

It's easy to say why ARob and Nuk have been disasters. They are on bad offenses with brutal QB play. Raiders seeing of the highest scoring offenses. You have to wonder how good Cooper actually is right now.
Good point. I'm starting to think bust. 

He just doesn't seem like a guy who demands targets.  Just a part of the gameplan guy, not someone to build around.  Very disappointed in his season.

He commands top coverage and Carr/the offensive plan and other weapons are stronger than their opposition 

he is also hurt but didn't seem to worry him on the catch n run he had today. He did appear to hesitate on a few downfield blocks today 

Cooper's been a disappointment over the back half of this season, but I still have him as a top 6-8 dynasty WR. He's super young, as he's finishing up his second year in the league at the age of 22 1/2, and he has back-to-back 1k seasons to start his career. Injuries slowed him over the last month of his rookie season, but he still ended up with 72/1070/6. He's been banged up a bit this year too, but he sits at 74/1038/4 with two games to go. Has it been a bit of a letdown that his statistics didn't make a sizable 2nd year leap? Of course it is. I still think he's a great young WR with plenty of room to grow into being a perennial top 6-7 WR. I have my doubts about him ever being dominant enough to put up gaudy numbers like Julio/Brown/OBJ have over the past couple of seasons, but he's still a incredibly valuable WR that I'd gladly take on any of my rosters. 

Cooper and Carr will get more comfortable with each other every season. Hopefully next season we see Carr throwing Coopers way, when they need a play made, regardless of the coverage 

Me too. My Superbowl is this week anRyannext. Got crushed this week. I  have a chance to still win with a second game next week but this chump isn't going to be in my lineup
I lost division champioship by 3 freakin points! Yes I have Carr but have been starting Matt Ryan. I'm going for Julio or T.Gabriel in off season.

Amari Cooper said he thinks he can be "a lot more" productive moving forward.

Cooper has surpassed 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons, but he struggled down the stretch both years. Just two of the nine 100-yard performances of his career have come after Week 8, and he averaged just 46 yards a game over the final eight of last season. If he can fix his late-season swoons, Cooper will be a sure-fire WR1 this year.

Source: CSN Bay Area 
May 25 - 12:57 PM

Starting to look at Cooper's prospects for 2017:

Positives: Has shown growth in both catches and yardage during first two seasons. Plays with a very good QB who has room for further growth. Team looks to be very good. Talent is not an issue- by all accounts, Cooper has all the physical tools to become an elite WR. Still very young- only 23. Crabtree is a very solid compliment on the other side and the running game should be good again.

Negatives: Has not shown elite red zone ability. Only 11 total TDs in first two seasons. Crabtree will have plenty of targets and looked to be the primary WR in the red zone. Has not finished the first two seasons very well.

Most projections have him as a back end WR 1. 

Curious to get the board's thoughts as to his current valuation.

Starting to look at Cooper's prospects for 2017:

Positives: Has shown growth in both catches and yardage during first two seasons. Plays with a very good QB who has room for further growth. Team looks to be very good. Talent is not an issue- by all accounts, Cooper has all the physical tools to become an elite WR. Still very young- only 23. Crabtree is a very solid compliment on the other side and the running game should be good again.

Negatives: Has not shown elite red zone ability. Only 11 total TDs in first two seasons. Crabtree will have plenty of targets and looked to be the primary WR in the red zone. Has not finished the first two seasons very well.

Most projections have him as a back end WR 1. 

Curious to get the board's thoughts as to his current valuation.
Something has to give with him. He either needs more targets so he can get his yardage up, improve his yards per reception or the Raiders need to start using him in the RZ. He only got 14 RZ targets last year which was 44th in the NFL and the same amount as guys like Nelson Agholor  and Chris Conley. Now it's also the same amount as TY Hilton and one less than Antonio Brown. The difference is in a down year, Brown had 24 more receptions and Hilton averaged about 2 yards more per reception than Cooper. 

Something has to give with him. He either needs more targets so he can get his yardage up, improve his yards per reception or the Raiders need to start using him in the RZ. He only got 14 RZ targets last year which was 44th in the NFL and the same amount as guys like Nelson Agholor  and Chris Conley. Now it's also the same amount as TY Hilton and one less than Antonio Brown. The difference is in a down year, Brown had 24 more receptions and Hilton averaged about 2 yards more per reception than Cooper. 
Pretty simple.....Crabtree is killing Cooper's potential.  Good for the Raiders, bad for Cooper ascending into the WR elite.

Much rather wait a couple of rounds later and grab Crabtree than spend a premium pick on Cooper.

Pretty simple.....Crabtree is killing Cooper's potential.  Good for the Raiders, bad for Cooper ascending into the WR elite.

Much rather wait a couple of rounds later and grab Crabtree than spend a premium pick on Cooper.
I might argue Cooper is hurting Crabtree's value since Crabtree has been the top receiver for Oakland the last 2 years. 

I might argue Cooper is hurting Crabtree's value since Crabtree has been the top receiver for Oakland the last 2 years. 
and i dont see it changing this season barring injury.  both are high end wr2s and wont be on any of my redraft teams unless they fall in the draft

It looks like they are in fact targeting him in the red zone more this year.  The bad news is he just dropped 3 goal line passes.  2 or 3 of them should have been caught, the last one was totally uncontested. 

Users who are viewing this thread