What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (5 Viewers)

Hope people started him
More out of necessity than faith. But he's in there. Playing against the guy who just traded him to me in dynasty and spent the last few weeks gloating about it. It tastes so sweet.  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
12 targets 6 catches 125 yards and 2 TD's in 3 quarters.  Yeah that's pretty promising.

Drops are a concern but at least he's getting the volume.

Seems like he is benefiting from Peters being on Crabtree.  Maybe he's better as a #2 WR in this offense?

Cooper is having a great game but man, if he makes a few more catches, he could've made up for his last 3 games.  I'm happy he's giving me points finally.

I was scared to death to start him.

Now I'm going to be scared to death to sit him.
Trust me, the Chiefs are very specifically bad at giving up huge games to opposing WRs. Even the ghost of Terrelle Pryor (Cooper-level bad this year) was catching bombs on them.

Sell high.

I was scared to death to start him.

Now I'm going to be scared to death to sit him.
If his preceding games weren't so bad, he might bring in a nice trade haul. I'm with you man, going to be hard to sit now. I wouldn't have played him tonight if Will Fuller wasn't on bye.

After losing OBJ, nice to see the guy is capable of producing big for me.

So is KC DBs this bad or is Amari back? Even with drops, he looked like the best player on the field today. 
I think the KC defense is not as good as everyone thought. That said, I also believe Cooper has underachieved greatly. This will probably be his best game of the season. I expect a roller coaster due to Crabtree's presence. Unfortunately I don't think you can move Cooper for something consistent because those last 3 games were so awful.

44 on my bench hurts, when you play against Tyrek's 31.  However I guess it's refreshing that he's back in the weekly convo of starting at WR3/Flex for me.

I too had his 44 on my bench. While it sucks and might be the difference in this weeks outcome It does beat most of the alternatives though....

starting him to the tune of another 5 point game.

sitting him and watching another 5 point game on your bench

dropping him and seeing him go for this 2 td, 19 target, 11 Rec performance on the waiver wire

Chaka said:
No one hopes that Cooper turns it around more than I do.  But six games, 39 targets, 18 catches, 146 yards (8.1 YPC) and 1 TD.  That is a big body of work for this season already.

Personally I am not sure Del Rio is the guy to turn this team around (admittedly I have never been a big fan of him as a coach) and think it is possible they simply stay the same. Maybe eke out six wins?  I want to believe but my eyes suggest belief may not be enough.
Could... not... be... happier...to... be... wrong.

ETA: Well, I would be happier if I floated the AA for AC trade before last night and it was accepted.

Even with last nights performance I can’t convince myself to put him in the lineup. I’ve been burned too many times and need to see more consistency.

I’m more upset that I sat Alex and Carr so for the 1st time I have Wentz as my starting QB this week. Because of the matchup and the way KC played last week I benched Alex 30 minuets before the game and pondered if I should pulled the trigger. I hope Wentz has a good game come Monday night. Anyway it’s good to see Coop have a great game and I’m hoping someone shoots me a good offer as I still believe he’s been overrated by the community.

Tex

Even with last nights performance I can’t convince myself to put him in the lineup. I’ve been burned too many times and need to see more consistency.

I’m more upset that I sat Alex and Carr so for the 1st time I have Wentz as my starting QB this week. Because of the matchup and the way KC played last week I benched Alex 30 minuets before the game and pondered if I should pulled the trigger. I hope Wentz has a good game come Monday night. Anyway it’s good to see Coop have a great game and I’m hoping someone shoots me a good offer as I still believe he’s been overrated by the community.

Tex
I traded Carr for Wentz and benched Cooper right before the game. I hope Wentz does well also. I think that sometimes I get to cute, and it burns me. I did have Hill last night, but still feel stupid this morning.

Finally... He’s back!!!

PS- I think he’s been hurt worse than people realize. No proof on this but just watching him. Until last night.
I've thought he was hurt more than people realize as well but he actually looked good last week but Carr was more limited last week and he had a few big plays called back but he looked back to me last week.

Was he this big when he entered the league?

He looks like he might have David Boston syndrome where he's too bulked up to play WR.

Same guy and they did a much better job of getting him the football.  I still see a tremendous athlete with average-ish WR skills.  Hands, ball awareness, hand/eye - he'll never be elite ala AJG or Julio.  But he's fast and he's mobile so once you can get the ball into his hands he's dangerous.  I love how they used him.  Leveraged his strengths, using him on the move and in space.  He got lucky on the first TD, that was well underthrown and the DB had good position.  DB trips and Cooper's got a gift 6 points - thank God he didn't drop that ball or he might have just kept running up the tunnel but unlike Bo maybe never come out.  That was designed for him and Carr never looked elsewhere - Seth Roberts was WIIIIIIIDE open on the other side.  No one within 5 yards of him.

I'll never pay his market price but he's got WR2/low WR1 potential based on his usage.

As nice as it was to see, 19 targets don't happen often and I counted at least two drops and a couple that could be argued as drops.

So temper expectations going forward.

Same guy and they did a much better job of getting him the football.  I still see a tremendous athlete with average-ish WR skills.  Hands, ball awareness, hand/eye - he'll never be elite ala AJG or Julio.  But he's fast and he's mobile so once you can get the ball into his hands he's dangerous.  I love how they used him.  Leveraged his strengths, using him on the move and in space.  He got lucky on the first TD, that was well underthrown and the DB had good position.  DB trips and Cooper's got a gift 6 points - thank God he didn't drop that ball or he might have just kept running up the tunnel but unlike Bo maybe never come out.  That was designed for him and Carr never looked elsewhere - Seth Roberts was WIIIIIIIDE open on the other side.  No one within 5 yards of him.

I'll never pay his market price but he's got WR2/low WR1 potential based on his usage.
I think he has above average physical skills, with enough top end speed and physicality to not be able to either play him soft of try to jam him regularly, and he is a tremendous route runner and compares to the best in that dept.  However he absolutely has below average hands and his hand eye seems to be way off (a very bad combo for a WR).  Both of those can be improved upon but I would have hoped that improvement would have come this year and not the regression we have seen.  He'll never be a Julio or AJ type (how may of those guys are there?) but he has the skills to be a #1 WR in the NFL.

I drafted him in the 3rd round and have been disapointed but he has been in my line up every week and that won't change.  Glad to see the targets last night.

Was he this big when he entered the league?

He looks like he might have David Boston syndrome where he's too bulked up to play WR.
Put on 10 pounds this off-season, needed to get stronger. Two biggest issues to his game is the drops and getting off press coverage. Figure he muscled up to help get off press coverage and maybe take on bigger role in red zone, which if you recall in week one they tried hard with him.

he'll never be elite ala AJG or Julio. 
Those guys are physical marvels. Used to be this stat a few years ago and I can't recall it exactly and did not check it for accuracy but went along the lines of only 4 WR's at the combine measured at least  6'3", ran 4.5 or under 40 and had a 10 foot broad jump and it was these two, Calvin and the bust Stephen Hill. So no Cooper is not in that class.

But I'll never say he can't be elite because if he can ever get his drops under control I think he can be like AB. Remember when people said AB could not be elite because he was not much of a red zone factor and then he slumped a bit in year three and people thought of him as a WR3 type after his third season.

For sure Cooper needs to get his drops under control but here is his career stats vs AB's after 3 seasons, and AB ran a year older than him during this time frame as well:

AB: 254 targets/151 receptions/59% reception rate/ 2,062 yards/13.65 YPR/8.12 YPT/1.57 fantasy points per target(PPR)

Cooper: 319 targets/183 receptions/57% reception rate/2,575 yards/14.07 YPR/8.0 YPT/1.67 fantasy points per target(PPR).

Even with this I see no reason to try and trade him; his perceived value has taken too much of a hit and this beast-mode performance won't do much to help that.  Whatever you receive in return will have a lower floor and certainly a lower ceiling as evidenced by yesterday's performance.  The real conundrum is if he does good things next week and the following, his value will be as high as its ever been-but then you won't feel compelled to trade him.  I predict most current owners will be owners come playoffs.

I think he has above average physical skills, with enough top end speed and physicality to not be able to either play him soft of try to jam him regularly, and he is a tremendous route runner and compares to the best in that dept.  However he absolutely has below average hands and his hand eye seems to be way off (a very bad combo for a WR).  Both of those can be improved upon but I would have hoped that improvement would have come this year and not the regression we have seen.  He'll never be a Julio or AJ type (how may of those guys are there?) but he has the skills to be a #1 WR in the NFL.
I'll defer to others on his route-running, it's not something I find easy to evaluate since I don't have any all-22 access.  I don't agree catching and hand-eye can be improved - you either have it or you don't and those two are inextricably linked.  I think hand-eye can be exercised and kept sharp with drills, but I don't see it improving.  I'm willing to live with it given the rest of his potential, it's just a matter of expectations.  I know he'll miss making some plays, but I know when he does catch it he can do great things with it.  If they are feeding him and he's catching "most" of them I'll just adjust my expectation of what "most" means for Cooper.  Maybe 17/20 vs. 19/20 for others.  Plenty of production still available given his athletic skills.

Those guys are physical marvels. Used to be this stat a few years ago and I can't recall it exactly and did not check it for accuracy but went along the lines of only 4 WR's at the combine measured at least  6'3", ran 4.5 or under 40 and had a 10 foot broad jump and it was these two, Calvin and the bust Stephen Hill. So no Cooper is not in that class.

But I'll never say he can't be elite because if he can ever get his drops under control I think he can be like AB. Remember when people said AB could not be elite because he was not much of a red zone factor and then he slumped a bit in year three and people thought of him as a WR3 type after his third season
I wasn't referring to their physical presence as much as I was their ball skills.  Those guys have ridiculous hand/eye and track the ball in the air like legends.  You never see them jump too soon or get alligator hands being late on the grab and they get their feet in bounds and drag toes like no one else.  I love watching AJG slow down, screen off the DB, then at the last second accelerate into the ball, make the catch going away, and score with the guy 5 yards behind him.  That's partly about 4.3 speed, yes, but it's a lot more about spatial awareness and tracking the flight of the ball.  Cooper has been called by some as an elite WR but you can't get that moniker without being able to hang with the big boys on ball skills.

I drafted him as my WR1, and Hopkins as my WR3. Basically those roles flip flopped after the stinkers.  But if he can turn it on for the ROS I’ll gladly take his production as my WR3...

After 2 years of frustration, I am an ex-owner. While I hate the drops, if he had displayed the fire/passion/beast that I saw last night, I would be an owner still. 

While I don't like the thought of playing this beast in the future, I like the game more than our gameon top of it and so, I hope the switch got flipped permanently to on last night.

Anyone else gonna admit to benching him? =/ 

I had four other very good WR options this week. I'm such an idiot. I had started him every week until this week, too.

Users who are viewing this thread