What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper is "a taller version of Odell Beckham Jr., although he doesn't quite have Beckham's speed."

The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. Brandt notes that 25 of those catches came on third down, "so that tells you that he was really moving the chains. Anytime Alabama needed a big play, it would go to him even though he was often double- or triple-teamed." Cooper is a potential -- some would say likely -- top-10 pick in the draft.

Source: NFL.com
Jan 28 - 11:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper ranks as CBS Sports' Dane Brugler's No. 5 overall prospect.
"While not in the same conversation as AJ Green and Julio Jones as a prospect, Cooper is very detailed and well-rounded, making it tough to poke holes in his game," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. Brugler wrote earlier this month, that "Cooper is a humble, hard worker and might be the 'safest' prospect in this class when projecting him to the next level.

Source: CBS Sports
Jan 29 - 3:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper will not turn 21 years old until June 17.
We are still figuring out how age factors into prospects, specifically skill positions. Jon Moore at Rotoviz did a great job with the database linked below. Of the number of receivers featured, Cooper is the youngest.

Source: Rotoviz
Feb 3 - 11:29 AM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper's best pro comparison is Colts' legend Marvin Harrison, according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
"Just like Harrison during his playing days, Cooper doesn't have the classic body type or size of an angular wide receiver. They're both very fluid and have an easiness about them into their routes and after the catch," Zierlein wrote. The Biletnikoff Award winner posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. The Crimson Tide prospect is considered to be a potential top-10 pick in the 2015 draft.

Feb 4 - 2:33 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper posted a drop rate of 11.4% in five 2014 games charted by Matt Harmon.

For context's sake, Harmon writes "Most of the drops I observed for Cooper appeared to take place on routine plays. Several occurred on screen passes over the middle, where Cooper would just let the ball get away from him." There are so many quality nuggets in the linked piece and it is definitely worth your time, especially since many consider Amari to be the draft's top receiver. Just from the last two years, it seems like negative drop rates carry over to the NFL much more consistently than very positive rates. It is only a five game span, but some could view 11.4 as troubling. Harmon adds of 12 contested catch situations in five games, Amari converted six of them.

Source: Football Guys
Feb 5 - 10:29 AM

Rotoworld:

Former NFL GM and current Reese's Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage compares Alabama WR Amari Cooper to Marvin Harrison.

"Amari is super athletic, very fluid and highly skilled as a route runner and hands catcher," Savage said. "Because of his reserved demeanor and similar ability, I compared him to Marvin Harrison during the season." Interestingly, NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein also recently compared Cooper to Harrison. "Cooper won't dazzle you with blazing speed or elite size and strength, but, like Harrison, he's a complete receiver who runs excellent routes and has the ability to produce against any coverage," wrote Zierlein. "Don't expect him to dominate NFL safeties like he did in college, but he'll help improve a team's passing game quickly as a consistent target on short to intermediate routes and continue to flash game-changing ability downfield." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season.

Feb 5 - 12:26 AM

I am trying to get excited about this guy but can't pin down anything that will allow that. For those that think he is at the top of this class what elite qualities are you seeing?

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

Alabama WR Amari Cooper will battle West Virginia's Kevin White at the combine hoping to remain the top receiver, notes NFL.com.

"NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks has Cooper as the top receiver, but fellow analyst Daniel Jeremiah has Cooper No. 2, behind West Virginia's Kevin White," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "While their combine performances won't necessarily settle the debate, it will be interesting to compare. Cooper's 40 time will be especially interesting." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper had 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this past season, though he posted a drop rate of 11.4% in five 2014 games charted by Matt Harmon.

Feb 11 - 10:08 PM

I am trying to get excited about this guy but can't pin down anything that will allow that. For those that think he is at the top of this class what elite qualities are you seeing?
A few posts above this some NFL draft type compares him to Marvin Harrison and that's who I first thot of when I watch his clips. He's not flashy, he doesn't overwhelm you with any one thing but when you look up at the end of the game you see he's gone for 9-137-1.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/563366136134512642

we have him with 6 drops on 130 catchable passes for the season. 4.62%
Good find. Thanks

On a side note. Why is that smooth and explosive can't co-exist. A smooth athlete that runs a low 4.4 is labeled as not an explosive player, a max effort runner runs a low 4.4 and they are explosive. I don't get it. The combine will clear some things up but size, speed, age of breakout, stats, metrics....almost identical to Watkins at this point. Yet Watkins is explosive because it "looks" like he he trucking along when he runs, Cooper is athletic because he is smooth when he is trucking along.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper is "a taller version of Odell Beckham Jr., although he doesn't quite have Beckham's speed."

The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. Brandt notes that 25 of those catches came on third down, "so that tells you that he was really moving the chains. Anytime Alabama needed a big play, it would go to him even though he was often double- or triple-teamed." Cooper is a potential -- some would say likely -- top-10 pick in the draft.

So if 20% of your catches come on a down which should represent at least 33% of your targets, and with no reference whatsoever to how many of those 25 catches resulted in a 1st down, I'm not sure how that translates to "really moving the chains" based on the scant evidence cited.

That's not a criticism of Cooper, moreso a "wut?" moment in regards to the reasoning of the writer.

Rotoworld:

So if 20% of your catches come on a down which should represent at least 33% of your targets, and with no reference whatsoever to how many of those 25 catches resulted in a 1st down, I'm not sure how that translates to "really moving the chains" based on the scant evidence cited.

That's not a criticism of Cooper, moreso a "wut?" moment in regards to the reasoning of the writer.
Cooper actually picked up 25 first downs receiving on 3rd down, which was the most in college football.

Rotoworld:

Not disagreeing, but a team like Alabama might spend a lot less time on 3rd down than 33%. You only spend 33% if you use 3 downs on every set of downs.

Rotoworld:

Not disagreeing, but a team like Alabama might spend a lot less time on 3rd down than 33%. You only spend 33% if you use 3 downs on every set of downs.
24% of Alabama's pass attempts came on 3rd down, and 26% of Cooper's catches came on 3rd down.

It's interesting that on what is widely considered the passing down, 3rd down, that only 20% of Cooper's catches and only 26% of his targets happen.

Does that mean that 'Bama was converting 1st downs from 1st and 2nd down and thus didn't end up in 3rd downs as often, or do they have some other 3rd down philosophy at work?

If 26% of Cooper's targets come on 3rd down, that means 74% of them are spread across 1st, 2nd and 4th down...which basically means he had to be getting near 80% of his catches on 1st and 2nd down.

I don't follow 'Bama close enough to have a feel for their offense. Is Cooper capitalizing on defenses expecting the run (or biting on play-action) on the early downs? Is he less effective on 3rd down when the defense can assume it's more likely to come his way?

I'm not arguing a position, I'm just asking.

Rotoworld:

Very true. First down, by definition, is going to be the more numerous down.

But it just kinda highlights the question. Saying a guy has 20% of his catches happen on 3rd down doesn't really tell us much without having the whole context to draw from.

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper has the "highest floor" of the top receivers in the draft, according to NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock.

The analyst was specifically comparing Cooper to West Virginia's Kevin White and Louisville's DeVante Parker. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks ranks Cooper as the top receiver, while colleague Daniel Jeremiah slots Cooper No. 2 behind White. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper had 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this past season, though he posted a drop rate of 11.4% in five 2014 games charted by Matt Harmon.

Feb 17 - 2:43 AM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper arrived at the Combine with measurements of 6'1", 211 lbs and 10" hands.
Cooper also has 31 1/2" arms. Expect Cooper to shine in change of direction drills, as in the 3-cone and short shuttle, as he displays very little wasted movements in his routes. He should have a very good workout.

Feb 19 - 2:26 PM

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/563366136134512642

we have him with 6 drops on 130 catchable passes for the season. 4.62%
Mix this with his routes and it'd take a medical or Raider-like team drafting him for him not to be the first wr off the board in rookie drafts.
still would take him on the raiders, Carr improving, terrible defense, tons of opportunity, I dont get this line of thinking
Ive become a believer in cancerous team risk. Parker is close enough to jump him if he goes to a better situation, I.e. Minnesota.

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper ran an "unofficial" 4.42 forty with a 1.62 10 yard split.

This is a great time for a 6'1", 211 lbs receiver with 10" hands and 31 1/2" arms. Cooper himself admitted to need to improve in contested catches. He will shine in the "small" receiver game, meaning quickness, burst, separation and yards after catch ability.

Feb 21 - 10:44 AM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper is "one of the better route runners to come out in a long, long time," an NFL scout said.

"Very skilled, explosive and fast," he added. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper ran a 4.42 forty with a 1.62 10-yard split on Saturday. He posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. "Dynamic player," another scout said. "Quick, fast, agile, good hands. Difference-maker."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 23 - 10:34 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper wrote that there "really isn't a flaw in [Alabama WR Amari] Cooper's game at this point."
"Running a 4.42 40 at the combine eases any long-speed concerns," Kiper wrote. "I had Cooper as my No. 1 WR even with some questions as to whether he was in the same 'athlete' class as some other WRs in this class, but the distance between him and even the athletic freaks is almost negligible now. He caught 84 more passes than the next-closest Bama player. Think about that." We grade Cooper as the No. 3 receiver in the class. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper collected 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns last season.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 28 - 5:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay wrote that Alabama WR Amari Cooper is "a really intriguing option for Oakland at No. 4 overall."

McShay and his Scouts Inc. cohorts rank Cooper as the No. 1 receiver. "He did nothing to hurt his stock with a really strong combine performance, including a 4.42-second 40-yard dash," McShay wrote. "When you pair that with his route-running ability and all-around game (his 33-inch vertical was a little bit of a concern), he's a really intriguing option for Oakland at No. 4 overall." The analyst added that it's currently "about 50-50 right now between Cooper and [Kevin] White in terms of being the first WR drafted."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 2 - 1:22 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Bucky Brooks believes NFL coaches prefer Alabama WR Amari Cooper while scouts prefer WVU's Kevin White.
"The different views make sense because Scouts/GMs think long-term potential; coaches are more inclined to like guys who are ready from Day 1," Brooks tweeted. We think both will make immediate impacts, but perhaps in different ways. White's tape and athleticism might lead many to conclude is a receiver who wins in the big and small games, while Cooper is much more of a movement receiver who makes his impact with separation and yards after catch skills.

Source: Bucky Brooks on Twitter
Mar 15 - 10:19 AM

Rotoworld:

New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and New York Giants GM Jerry Reese were on hand at Alabama's pro day.

"Probably checking out WR Amari Cooper," ESPN NFL Nation reporter Rich Cimini noted of Maccagnan. ESPN colleague Greg Ostendorf added that the Oakland Raiders (No. 4), Jets (No. 6) and Giants (No. 9) have all been linked to Cooper. If Marcus Mariota goes No. 2, and the Raiders take Kevin White at No. 4, Cooper would make all sorts of sense for the Jets. "I don't really care who I play for," Cooper said. "I just want to play ball. I respect every NFL team because it was a dream I've had since I was a little kid. I don't care who I play for." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper collected 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. "First of all, he's a very talented guy," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said. "He's got great quickness, great speed. He's got really good size, very good hands and he's got some running ability after the catch. I think if you're looking at critical factors at his position, that covers about everything t

Source: ESPN.com

Mar 16 - 12:13 AM

Rotoworld:

New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and New York Giants GM Jerry Reese were on hand at Alabama's pro day.

"Probably checking out WR Amari Cooper," ESPN NFL Nation reporter Rich Cimini noted of Maccagnan. ESPN colleague Greg Ostendorf added that the Oakland Raiders (No. 4), Jets (No. 6) and Giants (No. 9) have all been linked to Cooper. If Marcus Mariota goes No. 2, and the Raiders take Kevin White at No. 4, Cooper would make all sorts of sense for the Jets. "I don't really care who I play for," Cooper said. "I just want to play ball. I respect every NFL team because it was a dream I've had since I was a little kid. I don't care who I play for." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper collected 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. "First of all, he's a very talented guy," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said. "He's got great quickness, great speed. He's got really good size, very good hands and he's got some running ability after the catch. I think if you're looking at critical factors at his position, that covers about everything t

This may be a trivial complaint, but I find it annoying to see Rotoworld describe him as "The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper" after he weighed in at 211 at the combine.

Rotoworld:

This may be a trivial complaint, but I find it annoying to see Rotoworld describe him as "The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper" after he weighed in at 211 at the combine.
And he's been listed at 210 all season at numerous other sites.

Users who are viewing this thread