What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper is the class' safest offensive player, according to NFL Media.
"Cooper comes from a pro-style offense and has experience running every sort of pass route he could be asked to run in the NFL," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Chase Goodbread. "He has the speed to get open deep downfield, the quickness to make the first tackler miss on screens and shorter throws, and the size and toughness to play in the middle of the field. Cooper also has as soft a pair of hands as there is in the draft. His work ethic and off-field behavior is unquestioned. "

Source: NFL.com
Mar 19 - 6:14 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper is the class' safest offensive player, according to NFL Media.
"Cooper comes from a pro-style offense and has experience running every sort of pass route he could be asked to run in the NFL," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Chase Goodbread. "He has the speed to get open deep downfield, the quickness to make the first tackler miss on screens and shorter throws, and the size and toughness to play in the middle of the field. Cooper also has as soft a pair of hands as there is in the draft. His work ethic and off-field behavior is unquestioned. "

So, what's the downside? Being drafted by Cleveland?

@CharlesRobinson: WR Kevin White was also a tad faster in official combine 40 times given to #NFL teams: 4.32 to 4.35 seconds. #Raiders #Bears #Rams #Browns

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_GetlinHere's video that shows how close Amari Cooper and Kevin White actually were in the 40. Both blazing. http://t.co/zrwNFMpt3j
It proves that the simulcast was mostly correct. (Cooper looks to finish ahead of White) BTW, Eisen obviously gets Parker and Cooper confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score, a system for projecting wide receivers, ranks Alabama WR Amari Cooper as the class' best receiver.
When asked for similar historical prospects, the machine brought back Marvin Harrison and A.J. Green, nice company indeed. "Unlike many wide receiver prospects in this year's draft, Cooper did not play in the spread, and he faced some of the toughest defenses in the country," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "Historically, Cooper probably best compares to Indianapolis Colts great Marvin Harrison as a prospect; Cooper was not quite as dominant as Harrison was at Syracuse, but the mid-'90s Big East wasn't a match for today's SEC, either." Cooper, who collected 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns last season, is ranked by Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay as the best WR in the draft, and he checks in as Scouts Inc.'s No. 3 overall player.

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 29 - 4:41 PM

Rotoworld:

"Defenses knew he was coming, but there was nothing they could do," ESPN's Mel Kiper noted of Alabama WR Amari Cooper.
"Man him. Zone him. Bracket him. Press him. Do whatever you want -- yet Cooper has shown he can get open with short-area quickness, strength, and speed out of his breaks and over the top. He also recognizes what defenses are trying to do to him," Kiper wrote. "This guy caught 84 more passes than the next guy on his team last year. We've also seen in Cooper's workouts that concerns about his speed aren't just unfounded; Cooper is one of the fastest WR prospects in this draft." Cooper is ticketed for the top 10, and could go as high as No. 4 to the Raiders. He's ranked by Kiper and Todd McShay as the best WR in the draft, and he checks in as Scouts Inc.'s No. 3 overall player.

Mar 30 - 9:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper offers the Raiders "a good chance to double down" on a "high-floor" prospect after plucking Khalil Mack last year, postulates ESPN's Mel Kiper.

The Raiders pick No. 4, right in the range of where Cooper is expected to go. As you know, the prospect has been a popular mock draft destination in Oakland's slot. "He's sneaky explosive, is a brilliant route runner and has 'work ethic' tied to his name as much or more than any other great player in the draft," Kiper wrote. "I think he's your best bet to be a No. 1 wide receiver against seasoned NFL defensive backs early in his career as any wideout in this draft, and that's what Oakland needs." The venerable analyst sees the odds of this pairing coming to fruition as "pretty good": "Maybe they prefer Kevin White, but Cooper makes sense and deserves to land in this range."

Mar 31 - 1:32 AM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper will visit the Jets on Thursday, according to Kimberly A. Martin.

The move makes a lot of sense even with the Jets' added talent in the last two offseasons. The team took three receivers in last year's draft, but again, that should not prevent a team from selecting a talent like Amari who has traits that easily translate to the NFL. Those types of prospects are difficult to find, especially this year. Cooper wins on the ground with burst, acceleration run after the catch and little wasted movement. He is not a contested catch receiver, however.

Source: Kimberly A. Martin on Twitter
Mar 31 - 10:36 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock says Alabama WR Amari Cooper "has the highest floor" of all receiver prospects.
"That means you know what you're going to get from him and he's going to play at a high level," Mayock said. The analyst ranks Cooper as the No. 2 WR, just a hair behind West Virginia's Kevin White. We also rank White as the No. 1 receiver, just ahead of Cooper. You probably can't go wrong taking either, though.

Mar 31 - 8:57 PM

Cooper is the unanimous number 1 wr no doubt, and I love Me some Kevin White but let's be honest here white, parker, perriman, strong all come after Cooper Watch link at top . He is Jerry Rice mixed with a little Torry Holt. Epic gamebreaker

cooper gets seperation so easily and his route running is so much better then White's it's laughable that the scouts rank White 1. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Cooper is the unanimous number 1 wr no doubt, and I love Me some Kevin White but let's be honest here white, parker, perriman, strong all come after Cooper Watch link at top . He is Jerry Rice mixed with a little Torry Holt. Epic gamebreaker
stop.

cooper gets seperation so easily and his route running is so much better then White's it's laughable that the scouts rank White 1. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sometimes it is because the scouts recognize that beating a college DB is a lot easier than beating a NFL DB. So, when things are somewhat equal, they start looking at intangibles, size, athleticism....things beyond the youtube highlights.

Sometimes it is because the scouts recognize that beating a college DB is a lot easier than beating a NFL DB. So, when things are somewhat equal, they start looking at intangibles, size, athleticism....things beyond the youtube highlights.
cooper has white beat on route running, intangibles, speed is same, athleticism u kiddin? cooper will be better wr in pros and should be drafted according. Not here to argue about it as I love white and will probably end up with him in alot of 1.3 draft picks but it is what it is.... Cooper is far more advanced in route running, all white did was go deep, had 1 good year in college football.... kind of scary dude if u ask me.

Rotoworld:

So, what's the downside? Being drafted by Cleveland?
I try not to get TOO caught up in landing spot either way but there ARE a couple of places that I think you have to recognize is an adverse effect. Any WR that goes to the Bills suffers. Browns and Jags over the past several years, same. Raiders. Jets. Rams WRs.

People used to scream at the top of their lungs that the cream rises to the top but last year was a perfect example. People had Evans and Sammie a 1 and 1a. As terrible as the bUcs TEAM was, it was easy to see they had the better ff scenario and there is no way I would want Sammie over Evans on my fantasy team now. Then there's Beckham, Jr. Considered right in the conversation with the other two. Went to the team with the best QB. Is now miles ahead. There is a correlation.

We can get cute and outthink ourselves sometimes but if Melvin Gordon goes to the Chargers and Tj Yeldon goes to the Falcons, I know which guy I'm taking.

cooper has white beat on route running, intangibles, speed is same, athleticism u kiddin? cooper will be better wr in pros and should be drafted according. Not here to argue about it as I love white and will probably end up with him in alot of 1.3 draft picks but it is what it is.... Cooper is far more advanced in route running, all white did was go deep, had 1 good year in college football.... kind of scary dude if u ask me.
yeah, no need to argue. It's clear you have your mind set. I personally do not (and probably won't end up with either guy in my drafts) but my comment is really more to just say we are ff people with bias. These are scouts that pay their mortgage off this stuff. There ARE reasons why they come to their conclusions and, just like us, sometimes we are dead on and sometimes dead wrong. I just know I try to draw very little preconceived notions. I like to look at it closely and give everyone an opportunity to voice their opinions.

We can get cute and outthink ourselves sometimes but if Melvin Gordon goes to the Chargers and Tj Yeldon goes to the Falcons, I know which guy I'm taking.
Are you suggesting that if Gordon goes to say Oakland that you wouldn't still take him over Yeldon?

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

John Parolin of ESPN's Stats & Information Group statistically compares Alabama WR Amari Cooper to Sammy Watkins, Chad Jackson and Tavon Austin.

"Cooper's total measurables best compare to Watkins," he wrote. "Both receivers stand almost 6-1 and 211 pounds with almost identical arm lengths and wingspans. Cooper has similar vertical jump numbers to Watkins, but is over one-third of a second faster in the 20-yard shuttle run." Colleague Kevin Weidl understands the Watkins comparison, but believes a better comparable is Jordy Nelson. "Although Nelson is slightly bigger, both are extremely detailed route runners who have the ability to create separation at all three levels and show excellent field and situational awareness for the position," Weidl wrote.

Apr 3 - 11:13 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Alabama WR Amari Cooper "isn't as big as Jordy Nelson or as fast as Roddy White, but I see elements of both players' games in Cooper."

"You could make the argument that Cooper is a possession receiver because of his best-in-class separation skills," McShay wrote. "But he has also shown the ability to get over the top of defenses, and one of his best traits, which rarely gets discussed, is his ability to compete for and come down with the 50-50 ball. He's also good after the catch, transitioning quickly upfield after he secures the ball." John Parolin of ESPN's Stats & Information Group statistically compares Cooper to Sammy Watkins, Chad Jackson and Tavon Austin. Colleague Kevin Weidl agrees with McShay that the better comparable is Jordy Nelson. "Although Nelson is slightly bigger, both are extremely detailed route runners who have the ability to create separation at all three levels and show excellent field and situational awareness for the position," Weidl wrote.

Apr 13 - 8:38 PM

I think we do a disservice when we start comparing college players to NFL HOF'ers. Pretty much nowhere to go but down and to be disappointed.

He's almost identical in listed size as Sammy Watkins but what has that told us? He's the same size as Arrelious Benn, who, when he came out, a LOT of people said was comparable to Anquan Boldin. How many people outside of fantasy circles even remember Benn from just 5 years ago?

Point being, all these guys are their own guys. They are unique and you start letting your mind check off imaginary, manufactured check boxes when you start calling them "like" this guy or "the next" that guy.

Even current players that are great, we don't do this. Yeah, maybe every once in a while a guy makes a play and someone says "Wow, that looked like a Michael Irvin play, there!" but for the most part, we don't watch DeMarco Murray and say "Man, that guy is Jamaal Anderson, 1999 good!"

The mere fact that we always make comparisons to GREAT players should be enough proof that we are poisoning the well. Just by the nature of it, you never see us saying "yeah, he's kind of like Rashaud Woods when he came out" or "he looks every bit as good as Jamarcus Russell when he came out". We don't do it because, even when it's a dead on SIMILAR comparison at the same point in their careers (pre-NFL), it ended badly and we don't want to associate ourselves with losers.

Instead, we compare 20 year old amateurs with bonafide great careers. It's a trap!

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper is visiting the Titans on Wednesday, according to Jim Wyatt.
Cooper, Kendall Wright and (to a much lesser extent) Harry Douglas would be redundant. All three win in the "small" receiver game, meaning creating separation, sustaining it and picking up yards after the catch. Justin Hunter is not progressing, so if the Titans do add a receiver it should be one who can win in contested situations.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Apr 15 - 9:56 AM

I think we do a disservice when we start comparing college players to NFL HOF'ers. Pretty much nowhere to go but down and to be disappointed.

He's almost identical in listed size as Sammy Watkins but what has that told us? He's the same size as Arrelious Benn, who, when he came out, a LOT of people said was comparable to Anquan Boldin. How many people outside of fantasy circles even remember Benn from just 5 years ago?

Point being, all these guys are their own guys. They are unique and you start letting your mind check off imaginary, manufactured check boxes when you start calling them "like" this guy or "the next" that guy.

Even current players that are great, we don't do this. Yeah, maybe every once in a while a guy makes a play and someone says "Wow, that looked like a Michael Irvin play, there!" but for the most part, we don't watch DeMarco Murray and say "Man, that guy is Jamaal Anderson, 1999 good!"

The mere fact that we always make comparisons to GREAT players should be enough proof that we are poisoning the well. Just by the nature of it, you never see us saying "yeah, he's kind of like Rashaud Woods when he came out" or "he looks every bit as good as Jamarcus Russell when he came out". We don't do it because, even when it's a dead on SIMILAR comparison at the same point in their careers (pre-NFL), it ended badly and we don't want to associate ourselves with losers.

Instead, we compare 20 year old amateurs with bonafide great careers. It's a trap!
This is exactly right.

I think too a lot of people forget how much of a team sport football is. Give Michael Irvin a quarteback like Blaine Gabbart his entire career and me might be thinking about him differently today. WRs especially need someone to throw them the ball. This makes them dependent on having at least a decent QB. Last season I watched Kyle Orton miss Sammy Watkins by 10 yards on some throws. Give Watkins Eli Manning even and maybe he's ODB...

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper is being compared by some scouts to Marvin Harrison, according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

"Not as big or fast as some prospects, Cooper is consistently productive because he is just too clever to cover, best evidenced by a startling ability to separate himself from frustrated, would-be defenders," Cooney wrote. "His formula for disappearing from defensive backs includes rare balance, intuition and precise cuts punctuated by an explosive, see-you later move." Cooper had an SEC-record 124 receptions in 2014, 84 more catches than any other Tide player, and caught 253 passes for 3,401 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two years. "A future star for some NFL team. Cooper's outrageous talent withstood the test of time and constant defensive attention in the best college conference," Cooney wrote. The analyst ranks Cooper as the No. 5 player in the class.

Source: CBS Sports

Apr 17 - 8:10 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper "does not match that typical [top-five WR] profile, but to me he is the best receiver in the draft," said an analytics director.

Between 2001-2010, all six wideouts drafted in the top five -- Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards and Calvin Johnson -- were at least 6-foot-3. Of course, one could quickly argue that the paradigm is changing. Sammy Watkins (2014) and Justin Blackmon (2011) both have similar dimensions to Cooper. "We love Cooper," Pro Football Focus senior analyst Steve Palazzolo said. Cooper is being compared by some scouts to Marvin Harrison, according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

Apr 20 - 10:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Of studying Alabama WR Amari Cooper's game film, ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that it "felt like I was watching a five- or six-year NFL veteran."

This sensation is why Cooper is being compared by NFL scouts to Marvin Harrison. "I just really appreciate the way he works as a receiver in terms of his route-running skills and his savvy," McShay wrote. "From getting off of the press, to the precision of his routes, to getting his head turned around immediately as he's coming out of his break, to knowing where the sticks are on third downs and making sure he gets beyond them, he is just a really polished receiver. That's rare to see in college football right now, given the spread offense frenzy." Cooper caught 253 passes for 3,401 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two years in the SEC. Argue with the measurables if you must, but only a near-certain NFL star could produce at such a rate in that league.

Apr 23 - 10:58 PM

Rotoworld:

The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes Alabama WR Amari Cooper is in play for the Jaguars at No. 3 overall.

Specifically, O'Halloran, the Jaguars' top beat writer, thinks Jacksonville will take "Cooper or a defensive player." It makes sense. The Jaguars have been chasing receivers in free agency as they try to upgrade Blake Bortles' supporting cast, first striking out on Randall Cobb before Greg Jennings then chose to sign with the Dolphins. Cooper and Marqise Lee can alternate between the Z and slot receiver spots, while Allen Robinson mans the top downfield, X position.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Florida Times Union
Apr 24 - 10:40 AM

Rotoworld:

In a poll of 19 NFL scouts, 12 named Alabama's Amari Cooper the premier wide receiver in the 2015 draft class.

He beat out West Virginia's Kevin White, who received the other seven first-place votes. Using a "points" system based on votes from the scouts, the Journal-Sentinel rated Louisville's DeVante Parker No. 3 among wide receivers, USC's Nelson Agholor No. 4, and UCF's Breshad Perriman No. 5. Jaelen Strong, Dorial Green-Beckham, and Devin Funchess rounded out the top eight.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Apr 23 - 12:06 AM

Rotoworld:

Of studying Alabama WR Amari Cooper's game film, ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that it "felt like I was watching a five- or six-year NFL veteran."This sensation is why Cooper is being compared by NFL scouts to Marvin Harrison. "I just really appreciate the way he works as a receiver in terms of his route-running skills and his savvy," McShay wrote. "From getting off of the press, to the precision of his routes, to getting his head turned around immediately as he's coming out of his break, to knowing where the sticks are on third downs and making sure he gets beyond them, he is just a really polished receiver. That's rare to see in college football right now, given the spread offense frenzy." Cooper caught 253 passes for 3,401 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two years in the SEC. Argue with the measurables if you must, but only a near-certain NFL star could produce at such a rate in that league.

Those stats are wrong. Cooper didn't have that many receptions in his whole college career.

Rotoworld:

Of studying Alabama WR Amari Cooper's game film, ESPN's Todd McShay wrote that it "felt like I was watching a five- or six-year NFL veteran."This sensation is why Cooper is being compared by NFL scouts to Marvin Harrison. "I just really appreciate the way he works as a receiver in terms of his route-running skills and his savvy," McShay wrote. "From getting off of the press, to the precision of his routes, to getting his head turned around immediately as he's coming out of his break, to knowing where the sticks are on third downs and making sure he gets beyond them, he is just a really polished receiver. That's rare to see in college football right now, given the spread offense frenzy." Cooper caught 253 passes for 3,401 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past two years in the SEC. Argue with the measurables if you must, but only a near-certain NFL star could produce at such a rate in that league.

Those stats are wrong. Cooper didn't have that many receptions in his whole college career.
Don't know they came up with those numbers.

Here's one for you though - averaged 76/1154/10 over all 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread